DWTS Bindi Wins

Dancing With the Stars Finale: Which Couple Won the Mirrorball Trophy?

If you’re a big fan of emotional highlight reels, shirtless male dancers and the occasional cameo from Gary Busey, you probably felt very satisfied at the end of Dancing With the Stars‘ Season 21 finale, regardless of who was crowned the champion.

Indeed, before the Mirrorball trophy could be awarded to either Nick Carter, Bindi Irwin or Alek Skarlatos, Tuesday’s season ender served up two hours of musical performances, encores of the season’s best (and perhaps some of the worst?) routines and, best of all, Santa Claus!

Before we reveal the Season 21 victors — or scroll down now, if you must! — a quick recap of the evening’s highlights:

* Chaka Khan and Andy Grammer knocked it out of the park — er, The Grove — with their respective performances of “I’m Every Woman” and “Good to Be Alive (Hallelujah)”… before pairing up on a rather odd “Baby, It’s Cold Outside” duet — now featuring 50 percent fewer correct lyrics!

* Elle King, on the other hand, provided one of the night’s standout moments with a gritty, even-better-than-the-recording performance of her single, “Ex’s & Oh’s.”

* Exciting News Alert: Len Goodman — who sat out Season 21 — confirmed he will be back behind the judges’ table for Season 22, premiering in March.

* A number of this season’s contestants returned for encores of their most memorable routines — but when you compare Bindi Irwin’s blindfolded waltz to Victor Espinoza’s crotch-tastic salsa, the word “memorable” took on a really flexible definition.

* The last three couples standing performed their final numbers of the season: the dreaded 24-hour fusion routines. And, in a weird twist of déjà vu, each pair received the exact same scores as they did Monday night — that is, perfect scores for Nick and Bindi, and a 27 out of 30 for poor Alek.

* Speaking of Alek, he and Lindsay took third place…

* …while Bindi and Derek were crowned the Season 21 champs! (“Bindi deserved it! She kicked butt!” runner-up Nick announced, in a show of great sportsmanship.)

With that, I turn it over to you. Did Bindi and Derek deserve the Mirrorball trophy? Hit the comments with your thoughts on the finale and Season 21 overall!

1. Terry says:

No one deserv d more than Bindi in the history of that show!

2. Eric says:

Oh wow, I am so shocked by this…. Not. Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing but love for her and she deserved it, but it was obvious she was going to win this season from Day 1. That’s why I don’t bother watching anymore. They always have that one person every single season that is miles better than everyone and it just sucks the fun out of it. Oh well. Bindi is a great dancer, a lovely person, and while I’m not shocked she won, I am beyond happy for her! Her positive attitude and infectious smile is always great to see. Good for her!!

• Raymond Braddock says:

I record every show and I FF through celeb dancers who clearly don’t belong on the dance floor. This year it was Paula Deen, Busey, the jockey who were out of place and should have said no.

• Judith Lawso says:

Binding, I think for a young girl who isn’t a dancer, she did a fabulous job.
        I think Alex should of been in 2nd, he was great too.

• Jess says:

Are you kidding me? He was just as stiff by the end of he season as he was when he started. His movements lacked the fluidity plenty of dancers who went home well before him had learned. We get it. America loves a hero. That doesn’t mean he was a good dancer.

• Kathy says:

Alex should have gone home long before he did. He had no grace, no suppleness, and didn’t seem to learn anything from week to week. His sole saving grace was his ability to do lifts. Man, Witney really carried him this season.

• Keith says:

They got paid so they aren’t saying no

• Linda says:

Shame on you its about the dancing. The grace., the endurance. You’re not really a fan

• Adam Bernard says:

Wait, what? You think the producers selected a 17 year old “reality show host” with (to the best of everyone’s knowledge) no music or dance training knowing she was going to knock it out of the park? Either the producers are psychic or you are terribly cynical…

3. Angela says:

Not even remotely surprised at the outcome, but I’m totally fine with her winning, so yay. Congrats to her, and congrats to Nick and Alek for making it as far as they did, too.
    Regarding the returning couples, all I’ll say about Paula is thank god we didn’t have to see her “Vogue” routine again. And I’ve no complaints about seeing the ‘Magic Mike’ dance again. Nope.
    As for other random stuff, said this in the other article, but worth repeating: yay for Len returning next season! And yes to the Elle King performance, too. I like that song. Bring on season 22!

4. Jean says:

Absolutely they deserved it. Bindi worked hard, acted professionally, and brought pure joy to everything she did.

5. kim says:

YAY BINDI!! You rock! Well done Nick and everyone. Fantastic season 👍

6. Carmen says:

Bindi deserves to win, she’s the Best!

7. Chris casey says:

Thought they played up her deceased dad too much. Played on the sympathy of voters.

8. Binidi’s Freestyle dance was at a completely higher emotional level than any other competitor.

9. Such a great season. Just wow! Yes Bindi and Derek deserved it! But everyone worked so hard!

10. Grace M says:

Bindi is someone who has raw talent. She has never taken any dance lessons, or anything athletic. She is like her father and more interested in animals. Another 17 year old champ.

11. Doreen says:

She deserved the Mirrorball Trophy for every reason as a GREAT Dancer and a living Doll. I cried last night and tonight with joy for her. DWTS got it exactly right.

12. Caroline says:

Her dad is with her and I am sure she feels his presence in everything that she does. Remember the good moments in life no matter how silly.

13. Diane Nelson says:

Hands down the best dancer won!!!

14. Dawn White says:

She so deserved it! Mainly because she was the fan favorite from day 1 because she is Americas sweet heart.

15. K Blodgett says:

How could she NOT win. She was perfect. Judges talk about snappy knees a posture, nailed it. You would think a coach had been beating her into shape for years

16. JBC says:

This was an enjoyable season. I thought Bindi did a fantastic job. Actually I liked all the contestants and thought they had some very good dances from quite a few of them this season. The only thing I dislike about the show is the cutting to Erin Andrews to interview the dancers, it is such a waste of time. I wish they would replace her. Leah Remini is much better imo as hostess.

17. Kathy says:

Loved this years dancing with the stars – saw a lot of hard work going on. Bindy was the best and deserved the win!!!

18. Patrina Barker says:

Yes she and Derek deserves the trophy. She never gave up. She was bruised, feet messed up etc and she never quit. The respect she gave to the honor of her father was unbelievable !!! EXCELLENT I AM SO EXCITED

19. Roberta Campbell says:

They did deserve to win. They were the best all season long. I hope she goes out on the live tour.

20. So Happy for Bindi and Derek. 🏆She is truly a natural dancer and has A Wonderful personality and huge Heart. Bindi your Dad 🐊would be so proud.

21. zac says:

Is it weird that I have predicted the winner of the last few seasons even if I never watched any episode of DWTS?

22. Gloria Bailey says:

Yes Bindi deserved the mirror ball trophy. I happy for her and Derek.

23. Carole says:

Perfect finish, she deserved it, best dancer. Love it when when most talented wins versus most popular.

24. Tina says:

Wow. She was fantastic. Hands down. She danced her heart out. Nothing wrong with putting her heart and soul into dancing for her dad. He would be so proud.

25. grace starks says:

Congratulations to Bindi. She deserved it

26. Debbi Gregory says:

A much needed inspiration and an extraordinary dancer! Bindi WAS the star of this season’s DWTS!!!

27. Larry says:

Absolutely the right result. Derek is one of the very top choreographers in the business today, and Bindi is such a pure spirit who grew into an astonishing dancer. The best, plus the nicest equals — champions!!!

28. Dave hamlin says:

All the animals in the barn yard are screaming way to go Bindi…. See you when you come home …. Wolf,Wolf

29. carmie says:

Bindi dancing is so beautiful….Yes she deservered to win…. What a amazing young lady….Blessings always …

30. Joyce Shaw says:

Yes, they were all great but with her amazing work ethic as a young lady and her consistency throughout the season, yes, she deserves it and not taking anything away from the other dancers. Bindi is infectious.

31. diana Ramirez says:

Bindi didn’t deserve it it she is not a star I the US. I think she won out of pitty party because of her father. Also Derek also won cause his sister is a judge example; Halloween week Bindi messed up but too much smoke in the air according to too much smoke. Also doesn’t an American Star Hero has to WIn

• Lee Ann says:

What does it matter about her being from the US? This isn’t America’s got talent. It was Dancing with the Stars. As far as I know she is an actress, so that makes her qualified to be on the show. I like the 4 that were in the finals this year, but I do believe the right one won.

• Maryann says:

I remember watching Bindi on American tv with her dad. That would have been more than enough to qualify her for the show compared to some past contestants even if I agreed with your argument, which I don’t. And Bindi wo because she deserved it, not because of some favoritism.

32. Linda says:

I didn’t have to watch one second of this season (or any season for that matter) to know who won. Derek. I wonder how all the pros feel about this. There is about 2% chance for one of the other pros to win.

• Andrea says:

That’s just crazy talk. Out of 21 seasons Derek’s partner has won 6 times…meaning that 71% of the time some other pro has won.

• DS says:

Some of those times he shouldn’t have won (Brooke, Amber, Nicole) to name a few, but because the judges fawn all over him, he always get the ones that are in-shape, let’s see him get someone that Tony and Louie always ends up with and see how he does.

• Linda Adams says:

We don’t think Derrick own sister should be a judge. Banda was good but why does’nt Derrick ever get a partner that can’t already dance. Not fair😫😫😫😫😫

33. Gale says:

They deserved to win

34. Margarita Cuevas says:

So happy Bindi won. Of the last four couples left she and Pena were better dances than the other two. Congrats to Bindi.

35. Arda melanson says:

One hundred percent. Bindi turned out to be the most accomplished dancer of all the participants in the DWTS shows. Watching her dance was the highlight of the shows.
    Exceptional dancer! Loved it!

36. Bindi is a winner either way! No one put more of themselves into doing their best then that wonderful young lady! Steve must be beaming from ear to ear and his heart full of joy! And her family have raised a wonderful person. I could see Bindi being an Ambassador of Good Will one day! She is a breath of fresh air, honesty and a pure delight, no one deserves this win more than Bindi does! God bless her for being herself!

37. Angie says:

Bindi deserved to win whole heartedly. The finalists were all good but she was the best.👼

38. Susan leonhardt says:

Good for her she is a breathe of fresh air. Applause to her mom, for keeping the teen modestly dressed.

39. Jean says:

Bindi and Derek definitely deserved the trophy. 🏆 She is such an emotional and amazing dancer. Congratulations to them both (and another win for Derek). Congratulations to Nick and Sharna for making it to the finals. (Side note, I feel bad for Louis VanAmstel for always getting the older women who have no coordination and look awkward. He really is one of the best and one of my favorite professional dancers).

40. DWTS Fan says:

Bindi So Deserved it. She had so many tough times throughout her life. Congrats Bindi!!! <3

41. Georgia Maner says:

Bindi absolutely deserved it! She was consistently fabulous! No one has ever deserved it more!!!

42. jessica mansfield says:

way to go bindi irwin. you earned the trophy

43. AngelWasHere says:

Not surprised. Congrats I guess…

44. Clara Rivera says:

Absolutely!! I was rooting for nick! I feel the the guy can’t catch a break, he’s come a long way, n he should be proud of him self! but I must say down deep inside I really wanted Bindi! to win! and she did!! she did a great job every time she dance! U could see the termination, congratulations!! Bindi! well deserve!

45. Sharon Seifert says:

They were the best!

46. terry says:

I’m glad that Bindi won because she was the best dancer, not because she was so sweet. It’s a dance competition, not a popularity contest. And, to be honest, I felt a little bit bad for her mother. She always thanked her dad and talked about her dad, etc., etc., and didn’t say a word about her mom who was so incredibly supportive not to mention her brother (she hugged them once). When he was guest judge, Maks actually said “I don’t know if you’re as nice as you make out to be” or something like that and I have to admit I had been wondering the same thing. I really really hope she’s genuine.

47. Ida Nelson says:

I am surprised that some comments here are negative about Bindi! She is a young girl who lost her dad quite tragically yet she comes in with a smile and is up best!! We need more Bindi’s in this world. Post Paris!

48. Maryann says:

There were a few good moments in the first eighty minutes, but mostly it felt like I was wasting my time before the actual competition began at the hour and twenty minute mark. I would have been much happier with a one hour show tonight that ran from nine to ten.