Doctor Who: Rewatch [Spoiler]'s Final Scenes — Or Is This Not the End?

BBC America’s Doctor Who bid adieu to a major character this Saturday night. But have we not seen the last of that cast member?

In the episode “Face the Raven,” Clara let loose with her most reckless maneuver yet: taking the chronolock tattoo from Rigsy — with the Doctor none the wiser — even though she had to suspect the ploy would seal her own fate.

And that it did, securing her a deadly date with the quantum shade. But before she would pass on, Clara accepted her fate and left Twelve with an “order” (in the video clip above). Later, the latest Companion died an operatic death on the streets of the series’ extraterrestrial version of Diagon Alley (watch video below).

This likely isn’t the last viewers have seen of Jenna Coleman, however, given set photos that surfaced over the summer showing her in a very distinct (and different) costume that has yet to appear on-screen.

Rewatch Clara’s “goodbye” and goodbye scenes, then share your thoughts on “Face the Raven.”

1. Ian says:

The sooner she goes the better. Got tired of the same cute female companions a long time ago. And then hopefully the show can be inspired to do another major refresh. Its been feeling really repetitive for awhile.

• Eileen says:

What!!!! How could you say that! Clara Oswald was one of the best companions on the entire show. When she died a part of me died!

• Dave Jackson says:

I’m still trying to deal with Amys departure. Clara was brilliant/fantastic! I hope we see more of our impossible girl.

• Samantha says:

Bring back Doctor Donna :'(

• Dave Jackson says:

I agree! I think the Ood could help make that happen. The episode practically writes itself!

• Tiffany says:

That was my favorite series was Donna noble and amy pond two of the best seris of the entire show. They’ve gotten really sloppy since the new doctor has showed up and they just stopped writing Clara at all she was better when Matthew smith was around. I’m glad she’s gone actually she knew way too much about the doctor not even river song knew everything about him and she was his wife the only thing that they endicated was that she knew his name that was it.

• Mary says:

I SO agree. Have hated Clara almost since the beginning. She’s the worst companion the Doctor has ever had. I sincerely hope this is really the end of her.

2. Roger says:

One of the smartest companions that always challenged The Doctor. The last 10 mins of the episode crushed me. Jenna Coleman has played Clara to perfection. Hoping this isn’t the last we’ll see of Clara. Now time to look forward to watching her as Queen Victoria.

• Eye of Horus says:

I agree completely.

• Brad says:

It doesn’t make sense this cant be the last we see of her because she and Danny have a grandson in the future nether of them can die because it doesn’t make sense.

• Brad says:

If Clara In the episode with matt smith scattered herself along his timeline may be she could still have the child but Danny would need to be brought back to life And his means she could be brought back whenever they want her back
        any ideas on the matter?

3. Katy says:

We got a two parter introducing “me” who I think orchestrated Clara’s death guess we shall see.

• partisan says:

Me (Ashildur) was setting up the Doctor for someone else. Clara’s actions were unforeseen. And this was not Ashildur’s intro, that was several episodes back in “the girl who died.”

• The girl who died/won a who lived is the 2-parter they’re talking about, which ended with Clara giving a speech about how she will always be with the Doctor. Just like Rose and Nine at the end of Fear Her… And she “died” 2 episodes later.

4. kirads09 says:

Sadly I think shis is it for Clara. This is my first season EVER watching Who and am loving every minute. Capaldi is bringing something so incredible to the character it seems. I seldom cry over fictional TV characters, but I blubbered like child at the end. I fell in love with Clara in short order. The next companion (if there is one) will have a big space to fill. Can’t wait for her in Victoria.

• partisan says:

You should go back and watch Who from the beginning. There’s only about 50 years worth of episodes so ….binge watch? Seriously welcome to Who Fandom. It’s a weird and wonderful thing.

• kirads09 says:

I know! So much to catch up on :-)

• peterwdawson says:

If you want to ween your way into Classic Who a good one to check out is Genesis of the Daleks. Obviously starting from the beginning is nice but cutting your teeth on a good classic episode that you can probably watch okay without much context (it was a part of a sort of new status quo season) is something I usually recommend.

• UniversalHammer says:

Great suggestion for a starting place! I’ve long considered this ep. to be the first shot fired in The Great Time War.

• Dave Jackson says:

Agreed. Genius of the Daleks great place to start. Most bizarre episode (not a lost episode) is 1966 William Hartnell in “A Holiday For The Doctor.” It turns into a musical for no apparent reason. American accents by 60’s British actors are quite comical.

• David4 says:

And about 90 episodes are lost so you would need a TARDIS to see them. ;)

• partisan says:

Alas that’s true. A lot of the early Hartnell and some of the Troughton era are lost.

• Andrea says:

More of the Troughton episodes are lost than the Hartnell ones. I’ve started from the beginning and most of Troughton’s episodes I had to read about.

• ? says:

If this is your first season of Who I don’t blame you for thinking this is it for Clara, but it isn’t. The Doctor will find a way to save her, either at the end of the season (Christmas episode), or in Capaldi’s last episode as the Doctor, whenever that may be. After he does save her he’ll likely tell her something like “sorry I won’t take you traveling with me ever again, you’ve become too reckless and I couldn’t take having you die on me again” and that’s he’ll end up moving on from her.

• DoctorWhoFanatic says:

Just wait until you meet Donna Noble and see her time as a companion come to an end.

5. DavidJ says:

God I really HOPE that wasn’t her last episode. Because after the huge role she’s played in the Doctor’s life and after all the major storylines she’s been in, the character deserves a lot better than to… die in an alley from an evil tattoo.

• Eye of Horus says:

Agreed. She’s been a part of the Doctor’s lives for such a long time and has guided him through quite a bit. This can’t be “the end.”

6. Wordsmith says:

Because of that stunt they pulled a couple seasons back where Clara was “splintered” across the doctor’s timeline, they can theoretically bring back fragment versions of her (like souffle girl Oswin or the Snowman Governess) whenever they feel like it.
    It a bit like how River Song died in the very first episode that we met her, and yet still manages to keep popping up.

• Rook says:

Or when we get the 13th doctor(not that 12’s leaving) a version of Clara could save him. That would be an interesting episode.

7. Jimmy says:

Considering how many stories come to a dramatic conclusion with the Doctor saving someone (a one-off character, not even an official companion) from “certain death” by some clever trick or lucky gambit, his non-reaction to Clara’s quandary was odd indeed. He went to such extremes to “save” River Song in “Forest of the Dead” and Kylie Minogue’s character in that Christmas special, but his reaction to Clara was more or less “Oh, you’re going to die. Too bad. It’s been swellsies”. No racking his brain for a way out, no effort to avert her fate. That has to mean she isn’t “dead dead,” just put away somewhere to be brought back as they wish to.

• partisan says:

Yeah, I got that too. He was way too accepting of her fate than he should have been. Her acceptance was kind of uncharacteristic too. The whole death scene left me a little unsatisfied.

• B says:

I completely disagree. He threatened to rain hell on “Me” if she didn’t stop the raven. Clara told him to stop and not to seek vengeance. He was wrecked, and even after her death, he told Me that no matter what he promised Clara, the universe was a small place when he was angry at someone, so Me had better watch out.

8. I think that this isn’t her last episode if only because “Me” promised at the very beginning that she’d be safe. It seems like that would be a contract in itself.

9. Ken Thomas says:

The obvious ploy would have been to use the Stasis Chamber and capture the Raven in it as it makes a bee line for her, that was what I thought was going to happen the whole time!

10. Bendee says:

Truly an end of an era. She was the most useful companion that the show has ever had. In fact she’s the longest running, with 3 series & two Doctors during her tenure. Previous companions only lasted for 1 series or needed an extra companion to make them stronger(sorry Amy & Rory).

11. JR says:

Clara has never worked as a companion and she really does not work well with Capaldi. I love him, but I really hope they do a better job of finding someone he has chemistry with.

Actually, this whole season hasn’t worked, but I think that’s mostly bad writing more than anything.

• B says:

I think this season has been far better than the last one, and I have enjoyed their chemistry together. Last season was wobbly and they didn’t really seem to get along, but I’ve enjoyed this season.

• maggie says:

I think Clara has been a great companion for Capaldi. She didn’t have much spark with Smith, but that was more due to the writing. Jenna Coleman and Peter Capaldi had a bond that wasn’t romantic, but was more like best friends or family.

• Temperance says:

I’m a big Clara fan, and not one of Capaldi (as the doctor). I’d have given him the heave-ho after the first season and kept his Companion.

• Ana says:

Capaldi’s a great Doctor. If you hate him and love Clara, you’re an idiot.

• Shane says:

Wrong. Capaldi is okay, although he’s worst of the new Doctors since the reboot. To be fair, the writing was dreadful in Season 8 and only adequate in Season 9. Still, I can’t hardly wait for the next Doctor.

Clara has been an excellent companion. Her chemistry with Matt Smith was excellent. The whole Danny Pink drama was a monumental waste, but she turned it around this season.

• Tom says:

I would vote for Christopher Eccleston as the least adept Dr Who since the reboot. To be fair, he’s an excellent actor and I think he may have taken the role on because of the challenge it presented. He did well enough to re-establish Dr Who as a mainstay of BBC science fiction.

12. Why kill my girl love watch doctor who .I say bring her back she best women we ever had on doctor. Who. She the light of the show. Bring a smile to people we love her doctor bring her back going back in time :)

13. Ba Ku says:

Have to agree – I have not cared one white about any of the shows this season. Another group trapped in some base or ship or cave with something trying to kill them. Boring. This Doctor just doesn’t have any emotional pull for me, like 11 did. Clara is equally annoying and funny – not a good mix for a companion. I actually did not feel bad that she was done in at the end. Perhaps this season will reboot or something. Because I never thought Dr. Who would become boring and predictable as it has this season.

14. Despite knowing of Jenna’s departure I really thought because Clara didn’t run (“why do they always run”) – but faced death with bravery – she wouldn’t die.
    I’m still holding out hope for survival news in Part 2.

• Lynne says:

I was just talking to my sister about the episode and she said she saw online somewhere that Clara’s death was as inevitable as Adric’s (companion from the Tom Baker Episodes). But I still keep hoping….

15. Dan says:

One of the saddest episodes I have seen, Loved Jenna Coleman and Peter Capaldis working together, She helped the new doctor find himself after the regeneration , I hope she does return, But In my opinion Missy was behind all this as she likes causing the doctor pain. They will have a hard time finding a new companion that will complement the doctors personality like Clara did, now that the doctor has suffered such a loss as Clara , look out….

• Good point, Dan. Missy could very well be behind this. And like you, Clara (I love the pronunciation of her name) is my favorite companion since Sarah Jane with Doctor #4. I’m going to miss her terribly.
      Ya know, I’ve been watching since #4 and this is only the 2nd time I’ve cried. (Bawled like a baby when #11 regenerated).

Ya know, I’ve been watching since #4 and this is only the 2nd time I’ve cried. (Bawled like a baby when #10 regenerated).

• Dave Jackson says:

It’s good to hear from another life long Who fan. I’m assuming you were a kid like me when you started watching. I’m not an emotional person, but I couldn’t hold back the tears when Tom Baker showed up as the curator in The Day of the Doctor. This was also the case when Sarah Jane Smith walked through the door to discover the Tardis and #10 in School Reunion. So… I applaud your taste in doctors and companions. I also agree that Clara was brilliant. Her death ripped my heart out.

• Temperance says:

I’m not a big fan of Catherine Tate’s comedy, but the end of her time with the doctor was absolutely crushing, and I loved her episodes because she was an adult that could stand toe to toe with the Doctor as an equal, not an assistant.

16. greysfan says:

I’m heartbroken. :( Clara was my favourite companion. I knew she was leaving but not like this. Still taking it hard. Going to take some time. This entire season has been amazing except for the sleep episode last week. That was horrible and pointless. RIP Clara Oswald. You will be missed.

17. Melanie says:

Am I the only person to get irritated by her death and Danny Pink’s death? Listen, episode in season 8, went down her timeline to find a great great great grand child. It’s just frustrating with this. This has to be resolved.

• Trace says:

Excellent point about Clara and Danny’s descendants.

• Anna says:

I think that that was probably the storyline that Moffat was going to use to write Clara out at the end of season 8. There are fan theories that Clara was meant to be pregnant at the end of season 9 (that was what she called to tell Danny when he was killed, why when the Doctor scanned her in the Tardis she was ‘quite the mess of chemicals,’ and why there was a great-grandson), but when she decided to stay on another season, they abandoned it as an aborted timeline.

I really think there is merit to this theory, and I really wish someone would just confirm it for my own sanity!

18. rdkjesl@yahoo.co.uk says:

Me……… Remember has one golden, head thingy me Bob, that she can choose to use n make Clara immortal!!…
    Am I not correct??

• lrdslvrhnd says:

Nope, she used it on that guy being executed to close the rift. No MacGuffin left.
      The whole thing didn’t make sense. “Listen, give me the tattoo, and then we’ll get everyone to like you and tell her to stop it, and then we’ll reveal it’s on me and have a big laugh!” Er, what? How does that help anything? Should’ve spent the time dazzling the locals instead of convincing Rigsy to pull what amounts to a prank. And how does transferring it change the contract with regards to the Mayor? It’s just… ugh.

19. DarkDefender says:

Since the impossible girl is in all the Doctor’s incarnations’ time lines.. And there appears to be a new cycle of regenerations starting with Twelve, then maybe she is not wholly dead, as for any other Doctors after Capaldi, one would think Clara could be back..
    I was surprised to see Ashildr again and I am curious to see where the Doctor is sent and if we are getting a new companion before River Song drops back on the scene. Would it be fantastic if River travelled some with the Doctor.. Maybe she can finally teach him how to fly without the brakes on.
    Jenna was really great the past two seasons. It is sad to see her go, but I’m still excited for some new adventures. Could be a nice time to bring back Capt. Jack!

20. Jp Spitzer says:

The waitress costume, where is the waitress costume?

21. Angus says:

The two never had chemistry. Wish her well though. Too bad Maisie Williams is busy, she’d have made a great companion.

22. Warren says:

Meh. Honestly she should have been done as a regular when she was split across the doctors timeline. Then she could have gone River Song after that. Her character was pretty pointless after that. Liked Rose, Amy and Donna better.

23. Luis says:

The breakup with a Doctor’s first companion is always the hardest. Ten got a double created to be with Rose, Eleven dreamed of Amelia Pond before he left. Twelve looked at Clara like a daughter, one he felt he neglected even as he gave her a purpose after Danny Pink’s death. Somehow, I don’t think this is the last time Twelve will see Clara Oswald, even if she’s never coming back. Good luck, Jenna. Looking forward to seeing you as Queen Victoria.

24. Dave says:

I read somewhere that Clara or someone that looks like Clara turns up in Series 9’s Finale?

25. Sharon says:

For the persons who don’t like Capaldi or Eccleston, I don’t get it. Eccleston is one of my top incarnations, though I first saw and loved Tom Baker and he remains my favorite. Found Matt Smith too much, loved David Tennant and John Hurt’s brief appearance as the War doctor was amazing. Loved Clara, she is up with Rose and Sarah Jane as a favorite companion. Bawled like a baby as she told herself to be brave.

26. johnekaty@gmail.com says:

Clara isn’t dead. I mean, she already died when entering the Doctor’s timeline,split into many tiny Clara pieces. But, since she was the Impossible Girl, she’s still around to make us go mad on her fate. That’s what every impossible girl is made of: dreams, timestream energy and cute smiles and looks.

27. Dave Jackson says:

I’ve been in love with Dr Who since I saw Peter Cushing in Dr Who and the Daleks in Belfast, 1965. Since we didn’t own a tv till 1970, my Doctor is Jon Pertwee. I’ve loved all the doctors, but the companions have always allowed us to be a part of the story. It’s always traumatic when they go. Clara was a great companion. I would love to see her again in the future. I would have ended her story differently. I don’t think she had to be killed. She should have said, “Run you clever boy, and remember me,” one last time.

28. Just Me :P says:

There are a lot of comments here (frankly I don’t feel like reading them all now :P ) and I didn’t read them all, so if some1 already wrote what I’m about to write, sry about that :D

Personally I think that it would suck if she left the series this way. I mean, she survived much worse things than that (doctors timeline, zygons, “the mightiest warriors in the galaxy” – Mire, Ciberman, Marsens……………….) and then she gets killed by the Raven over some tattoo!?!?!?!?

If you want to kill her off in a series at least come up with the better story. This one sucks… (It’s like trying to make me believe that someone that survived a volcano (or a bomb if you prefer :) ) died from a firecracker)

29. Anna says:

I am 100% certain that Clara is gone for good after this season, as she already has another series lined up. However, judging by the set pics that released this week, as well as the little hint dropped in this article, I think that the Doctor is going to finish off the finale by going to Utah and saying a final goodbye to one of Clara’s echos at the diner. I can’t wait until Saturday to find out!!!

30. Kilted Savage says:

I loved Clara, she was easily my favourite companion to the Dr., just the tiniest nudge more than Amy Pond but I have 3 massive problems with the the way her exit went down.

First, the writing of this episode and her departure from the series in the other TARDIS, with Ashildr, was extremely confusing. I was able to follow it(just barely) and my two kids were lost, continually asking questions! I think, at times, Moffat and the other writers forget the younger fans and those fans that are new to the Dr. Who experience. Some episodes are straight forward and the viewer can easily follow along regardless of age or familiarity of the series.

Secondly, it made no sense the first time I watched it, the second time and the third time- why did Clara decide to “take the long way ’round” to Gallife with Ashildr rather than stay with the Dr. and continue the adventure with him? If she’s going to be immortal, hang out with a time traveling immortal, for perhaps eternity, why would she hitch her wagon to Ashildr’s TARDIS rather than the Dr.’s. Don’t get it at all and finally…..

The Dr. is THE Dr., saviour of the known universe a million times over, with the answer to every dilemma and monster invasion. In this issue, he appears to be crazy at times….most of the time. He’s not supposed to lose his mind in all of this, especially over a companion that he’ll eventually replace anyway.

There’s my take on it and I wish the very best for Coleman, hope to see her in something amazing soon, I hope she is able to find another quality piece of work….unlike Matt Smith, who seems to have become lost in the realm of train wrecks.

• Dave Jackson says:

The Doctor and Clara were too wreckless, and they both knew this. (She will always be ‘My Clara’ too.) I literally didn’t sleep for a week after “Face the Raven.” Clara was brilliant, and it broke my heart. I had always hoped that, before I face the raven, she would make an appearance with a future incarnation of the Doctor. ( He may not remember her, but he knows what she looks like and, “You always look the same to me.”) Like several companions before her, she and Me (not me) can now do that. Your kids are obviously extremely intelligent, by virtue of the fact that they watch the show. Let them know that the Doctor has a strange way of answering long forgotten questions over the course of several years (85% of the time ).

31. Jenna says:

Is it just me, or is anyone else upset that she didn’t say her iconic words. “Run you clever boy run. And remember me.”