Grey's Anatomy Ratings

Ratings: Grey's Up vs. Year Ago as ABC's Entire 'TGIT' Slate Rises

ABC’s Grey’s Anatomy on Thursday drew 8.5 million total viewers and a 2.5 rating (per finals), rising 6 percent three tenths week-to-week, leading all of “TGIT” in the demo and up from its year-ago fall finale (8.3 mil/2.4).

In fact, Grey’s nearly matched its numbers from two years ago (8.6 mil/2.6). In today‘s TV climate? That’s kinda crazy.

Scandal (8.1 mil/2.4) and How to Get Away With Murder (7.2 mil/2.3) both grew in audience while gaining two and four tenths, respectively.

Elsewhere in the ratings….

FOX | Bones (5.3 mil/1.0) and Sleepy Hollow‘s fall finale (2.8 mil/0.8) each ticked down.

NBC | The Heroes Reborn (3.7 mil/1.1) and Blacklist (6.9 mil/1.5) fall finales were steady, while The Player‘s season finale (3.4 mil/0.8) inched up a tenth, hitting a 4-week high.

THE CW | Vampire Diaries (1.1 mil/0.5) dipped a tenth. The Originals (800K/0.4) dropped some eyeballs while steady in the demo.

CBS | Big Bang (15.2 mil/3.8), 2BG (6.4 mil/1.7) and Elementary (5.6 mil/0.9) each added a tenth, Mom (7.5 mil/1.7) rose two tenths and Life in Pieces (8.4 mil/1.80) was steady.

1. Al says:

And people thought GA would be dead

2. KM says:

This season of Grey´s is one of the best seasons in the entire series, I dont even miss
    Derek and he was my second favourite after Meredith, also am loving Meggie

• Jen says:

I never thought I’d say this, but I completely agree. Yes it’s only been a year since his character died, but I’d like to see how someone else goes about winning her heart.

3. Coach Taylor says:

YES! Great to see HTGAWM rise again

• Coach Taylor says:

*But at same time, hope its momentum isn’t drained with ABC and their awful decision to put these shows off until February

• rcb918 says:

I’m really glad it went up so much too. I’m hoping the ending will have hooked people enough they’ll tune in again even after such a long stretch.

4. jules says:

All the cast and crew deserve it. Hardwork pays.once a fan always a fan.

5. Chris says:

Patrick Dempsey/McDreamy fans are seething. Bwahaha! They spent months annoying everyone with their whining and threats about not watching Grey’s anymore. They promised the ratings would drop and the show cancelled without Patrick and MerDer. The ratings have instead gone up and the show is much better without Derek and MerDer with their repetitive and boring drama. See what we’ve been telling you guys: Grey’s Anatomy was never about MerDer’s story and people didn’t just tune to watch them. It’s an ensemble and no character is bigger than the show itself.

• David4 says:

Make good TV and people will watch no matter what. Castle writers seem to have forgotten about the “good” part. :)

• Boiler says:

Personally I have enjoyed Castle this year. It has been fun to see focus on other characters and you know they will get back together. In fact looks like next week all them. Also you blame the writers but I have to think Nathan and Stana knew what was planned and were good with it or they wouldn’t have re-upped.

• Rowan77 says:

Not all McDreamy fans are seething, nor did they all whine and threaten to leave or complain about the episode where he died.

McDreamy was my favorite character. He was fun, talented, loved his wife, arrogant and deeply flawed. I was sad when he died, but thought his send-off episode was incredibly well done and a love letter to the character (except the part where he’s stupid enough to leave his car straddling a road while fumbling around for his phone. That felt contrived as hell). I did not like that he was gone, but I never threatened to stop watching (the show’s still good, so why stop?) and didn’t whine because – why bother? It’s just a show.

6. Elissa says:

Grey’s is a beast. And when it returns in February there is an episode direct by Denzel!! I love this season!! I think Meredith will date that new doctor by the end of the season

7. heather says:

I think Bones held on well up against the fall finale of Greys & (series?) finale of Heroes, and TBBT is always a thorn in its side

Interesting Bones viewership is the highest on Fox after Empire.

8. Mr. Tran K says:

Wonder if The Player is moving to USA Network.

9. kmw says:

Grey’s just keeps on rolling. So much for people not watching anymore. Shonda clearly rules Thursdays. Not much else surprised me. I knew Bones would be down but they are still surviving against those heavyweights they are up against. Poor Sleepy Hollow. Their move to Friday will not help them if Abbie is off the show for long

10. CM says:

The Grey’s cast seems reinvigorated this season. Not having to deal with any of the proverbial elephants in the room, I guess.

11. Boiler says:

PLEASE move 2BG to after Big Bang. Love Elementary and hope it starts to get more popular with ABC on its hiatus

• Mr. Tran K says:

You always keep complaining about moving 2 Broke Girls after Big Bang Theory. Stop whining and complaining ’cause sometimes I’m about to throw a temper tantrum and you don’t want that.

• Paolo says:

FINALLY, someone gets it. I like ‘Broke’ and ‘Scandal,’ but damnit, don’t make me choose, CBS!

12. Pedro says:

Grey’s is performing better than much younger, buzzier shows. In fact, at a 2.5, is performing much better than most of broadcast TV.

Season 13 is a sure thing and season 14 is a safe bet.

13. Amy says:

Yay for Grey’s.

14. Amy says:

Yay for Greys.

15. 101 says:

greys anatomy is god

16. Karen Henley says:

If BONES was at 5.3 million they actually went up viewers from last week, down in demo though

17. Chris Keel says:

I had almost given up on Greys the last season but for whatever reason this season has drawn me back in.

18. Al says:

How is barely nobody watching Sleepy Hollow?! :(

Thursday’s just too tough a timeslot I guess. Too bad FOX only made the decision to move to Friday’s AFTER the ratings decline. I wonder if scheduling different day right from the beginning would’ve made a difference?

19. Winchester_Fan says:

The Player. SOMEBODY pick up The Player. OR SOMEBODY INTELLIGENT add Phillip Winchester to your series NOW. (Dream series would be Blindspot, of course, but hell, just get that man on some great show. He deserves it.

20. DavidSask says:

Should one be worried a bit that 2 Broke Girls is low rated in current line-up?

• C.P. says:

CBS made it compete for viewership with Scandal (and so does ‘Mom,’) what else did you think was gonna happen…? Their ENTIRE comedy line VS TGIT? What chance? (TBBT->2BG->Supergirl would work better.)

21. So Vampire Diaries is sinking down. I don’t understand.. I like this season