Vampire Diaries Recap

The Vampire Diaries Recap: The Sword and the (Phoenix) Stone

Stefan and Damon clearly misread Lily’s e-mail telling them what to bring for Thanksgiving, because on Thursday’s Vampire Diaries, the Salvatore boys arrived armed with but one dish for their mom: a generous helping of reality.

With a little help from vervain and chains — which also happens to be the name of my Kat Graham cover band — Lily’s sons forced her down the darkest part of memory lane: her hellish marriage to Giuseppe. (I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure that physical abuse, mind games and making Damon eat his own pet turkey qualifies as being “hellish.”)

And rehashing the good ol’ days was merely Step 1 in the boys’ plan to turn their mother against Julian, equating him to Lily’s dick of a husband. Stefan also told her that Julian murdered his and Valerie’s child — Lily’s grandchild, as he was sure to note — but she dismissed this as one of Val’s many lies.

But as the episode progressed, and as Lily continued to find herself haunted by the memories of her nightmarriage, she also began to see Julian for the monster he really is, eventually inspiring an alliance with her sons to take him down. Major kudos to Annie Wersching for her portrayal of a desperate woman, trapped both by fear and by the times, who’s finally finding the courage to escape her cycle of violence. Mama Salvatore gained about eight new layers in this episode, and everything she’s done up to this point — both for her children and her “children” — suddenly makes a lot more sense.

tvd-enzoSWASHBUCKLERS | Of course, this year’s Turkey Day episode was more complicated than I’m making it sound, largely because I totally left out the part where Bonnie and Enzo tracked down a mystical sword that Julian was also trying to get his handsome little hands on. And because everything in the supernatural world is connected to everything else, it seems this weapon draws its power from — wait for it — the Phoenix Stone! (I could be wrong, though, so feel free to yell at me in the comments section if I misunderstood that bit of mythology.) Enzo and Julian’s subsequent sword fight in the wood was also a nice touch. Can we have more of those on this show?

And back to Bonnie and Enzo for a second: Now that we know they’re together in the future, isn’t it kind of nice watching them fall in love in the present? When she told Enzo he’s “better off without” Lily, which he is, I felt all kinds of emotions.

POSITIVELY PREGNANT | Caroline spent a good part of the hour trying to convince everyone — mostly herself, honestly — that she hasn’t been “mystically knocked up by a coven of dead witches,” but by the end of the episode, there was no denying it. Apparently the babies were cloaked for their own protection, which explains why her pregnancy tests were all negative and why the human doctor couldn’t find them in her uterus. And am I crazy, or are Caroline and Valerie becoming… friends? Valerie told Caroline the truth about losing her child, and while Caroline was obviously shocked by the news, she also seemed genuinely heartbroken for her.

JER-ABOUTS | Though we didn’t get to see Elena’s little brother cousin in this week’s flash-forward — during which Caroline appeared on television with an “urgent message for Stefan Salvatore” — we did hear Matt utter Jeremy’s name during a frantic phone call with Bonnie. “Tyler and Jeremy actually took my calls,” he told her, giving TVD fans across the globe a glimmer of hope that we’ll be seeing Steven R. McQueen at some point this season. (I hear he’s pretty busy putting out fires with Uncle Mason or whatever.)

TVD fans, what’s your take on this week’s episode? Drop it in a comment below.

1. Lissa says:

“Now that we know they’re together in the future, isn’t it kind of nice watching them fall in love in the present?”

2. Sharon says:

This all sounds terrible….

3. Chadwick says:

Remember last week when we Florence was explaining to Alaric that she was killed by a metal sword? It’s gotta be the same sword. My guess is that with the stone, the sword is able to kill vampires and send their souls to “Hell” inside the stone.

• Chadwick says:

There’s an extra “we” in there, but it’s late and I’m distracted by HTGAWM.

• Mara says:

I think this is how they are going to introduce the heave/hell story line with Stefan. I’m also thinking that these flash forwards are false and that Stefan is imagining them. Remember how they had Julian explain how he imagined he was killing Lily over and over again while his soul was locked up in the stone last episode? I’m thinking this same thing will happen to Stefan and we are seeing what he thinks is happening.

• Kristen says:

My question is, since Julian is linked with Lily now, if he gets stabbed with the sword (stone intact) does she get sucked in as well, or will she just die? Or will she be “asleep” until he is released? Either way, I’m glad she’s woken up and wants to help her sons.

4. Luli says:

Well… I’m kind of digging the Valerie and Caroline frienship… Also I do not see Alaric and Caroline as a romantic couple, same goes for Enzo and Bonnie.

I love the herectics and Lily, but I’m afraid she will be the one to die in an attempt to kill Julian. hopefully not, because Annie is amazing.

5. NDFan says:

Sometimes…I can’t believe this is the same show I used to be addicted to. I keep trying and trying to hang on until the end but Caroline’s pregnancy may have finally pushed me over the edge.

6. Shaun says:

Terrible episode.So boring.

• --- says:

like all of season 5, 6. should have let this show end after season 3 when it was hot and popular

• Taylor says:

I enjoyed this episode as well as last weeks. I loved the scenes between the brothers and Lily. At least she’s on team Defan now, maybe we can see her act motherly towards them?? Starting to not mind Valerie so much and enjoyed her scenes this week and last week with Caro and Alaric. Also starting to like the interaction between Caro and Alaric. It would be great if they had chemistry because then it would be more of an interesting s/l. For now I think Calaric are just in it for the twins and keeping everybody safe but we’ll see. No, I don’t think it’s nice to watch Benzo fall in love because it’s forced. The only reason why they’re doing it is to shut Bamon/non Bamon fans up. What is Enzo’s purpose on tvd anyway? Looking forward to seeing how the stone/sword story line plays out. I also think that the vamp hunter is SV’s kid.

7. Lolli Love says:

It’s so sad to see watch where they have arrived with the series that once was so breathtaking and interesting. The series whose episodes I couldn’t wait to watch.

8. Ayesha says:

This sounds weird!

9. Lori says:

I may be in the minority but I’m loving this season, it feels like a different show. Without all the triangle drama it feels like a real ensemble show with everyone getting a chance to shine. I watched off and on the last two seasons, but this season I don’t want to miss an episode. I hope they get renewed for an eighth season.

10. Debbie-Jo says:

Let the writers do their thing and stop complaining everyone.

This is what im loving at the minute: Carolines Pregancy, the flash forwards where it shows you shes Alarics fiance, the chemistry between Stephan and Valarie, the scene where Bonnie fixed Enzo’s tie, Julian (hes hot – hello!!), Lily having a plan to kill Julian, the friendship between Caroline and Valarie and the fact that Matt is a cop. Phewwwwwwww!

I’m actually enjoying this season so far. The majority of people in the comments from season 3 onwards were shipping some sort of love triangle or story line and it ruined the show so please stop, thanks.

Cannot wait for Caroline to have some babies :D

• Kourtney says:

Agree. I started liking these last two episodes. The first few were boring and thought they were catering to one ship again and I really hope they stay away from that this season. I like that the last two episodes were focused on the brothers and continue to do so. Of course there should be some romance but I haven’t seen a couple on here that I’ve liked yet. I did like the Bamon chemistry but that’s out the window now since Benzo? Bonzo? whatever they are calling it. Calaric’s pregnancy and maybe engagement is intriguing to watch along with the flash forwards. Everyone has something to do this season and I’m enjoying it!

11. anonymous says:

How come there are recaps for every other Thursday night show except Bones? I was really looking forward to reading it and discussing it with others. Is someone gonna write a recap or what?

12. nclady520 says:

You would think the Gemini coven could do a better cloaking spell than that. Not only was Caroline’s bump pretty obvious, but Valerie found those babies and their host with a fairly simple locator spell. Yes, it tricked western medicine, but it seems to me that a human doctor would be the last person you want to hide your pregnancy from. A witch from a rival coven would be who I would worry about hiding from.

13. dlt74 says:

Seems sad that so many folks are disappointed in this show, now. Thankfully there are lots of us still enjoying it and watching even if the writers don’t do what we tell them to do.

14. chantall says: