Wigging Out: Television's 14 Most Hair(piece)-Raising Twists!

Boo Boo Kitty, what have you done?

When Empire‘s downtrodden Anika ended this week’s episode by going undercover in a blonde wig to pick up the new girlfriend of the man whose baby she’s carrying (for the record, that’s Hakeem), you could practically hear the cries of “Gurrrrrl!” and “Whoa!” and “WTF?” across the TV-watching universe.

But that got us thinking. A character’s well-selected — or, in some cases, well-discarded — hairpiece can heighten the comedy or drama of what’s going on around her.

Team TVLine sat down and brainstormed 14 such moments — from an emotional Sex and the City reveal to a thrilling undercover interlude on Alias — that left us wigging out.

Check out the gallery below — or click here for direct access — then share your favorite hair-centric plot twists down in the comments!

1. Jamie says:

No Lynette from desperate housewives?? That’s who I immediately thought of when I first saw the article.

2. Mr. Tran K says:

Annalise from HTGAWM was the best. No mention of Carrie Mathison from Homeland? This season so far she puts on the wig even though her name is on the kill list.

3. LADY_in_MD says:

Marcia Cross on Melrose is the ultimate wig moment! I always thought it would have been funny if they ended Desperate Housewives with her ripping off the wig and reveal that she was Kimberly the whole time!

• Reba42 says:

^This! That was the most W.T.F. moment in tv history for me. If Bree had done that, my life would have been so complete.

4. Phil says:

Honorable mention for almost ANY wig on Once Upon a Time?

Can we have a companion article about the WORST wigs on TV? Anytime they decide Hayden can’t have her real hair (Heroes AND Nashville), or why Julie and Julianna created main characters with hairstyles they wouldn’t do themselves (Veep and Good Wife – never watched a second because their wigs are so awful).

I realize I might be missing out on awesome TV, but bad wigs pull me out so fast.

5. DAMN says:

Rose’s wig reveal on Jane the Virgin.
    I was like WHATTT???

• Phil says:

I KNEW there was a good wig moment I was forgetting! Thank you! I got behind on JTV and couldn’t figure out how she had her real red hair on that show but shorter, blonde hair on Agent Carter that was not a wig either and then six weeks later I finally caught up. One more episode and I wouldn’t have been wondering!

6. Faythe says:

You are probably missing the funniest scene ever by not including Matt Smith’s wig in the Doctor Who Christmas special The Time of the Doctor (i mean The old key in the quiff routine. Classic.)

7. ChrisGa says:

It’s all about Marcia Cross as far as wigs go although nice shout out to soap fans with the Santa Barbara mention; loved Debra London aka Flame Beaufort.

8. hbeachman says:

You forgot the episode of the Dick Van Dyke show in which Laura accidentally tells everyone on live TV that Alan Brady wears a toupee! Loved the scene in Alan’s office where he chews Laura out. He gestures to an array of toupee-wearing mannequin heads: Fellas, meet the little lady who put you out of a job!

9. niloofar22 says:

The removal of Philip’s wig in THE AMERICANS in silense was creepy, haunting & unforgettable.

10. Jermey says:

The scene with Marcia Cross from Melrose Place takes the cake. I loved that show.

11. Amy says:

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but shouldn’t Hannah Montana be up there? That girl’s wig was the equivalent of Clark Kent’s diguise glasses.