Dead Of Summer Series

ABC Family Orders Summer Camp Horror Series From Once Creators

The minds behind ABC’s Once Upon a Time will soon be working their magic over on ABC Family (which becomes Freeform in 2016).

The network on Wednesday announced a straight-to-series order for Dead of Summer, a summer camp-set horror story written and executive-produced by Once creators Adam Horowitz and Eddy Kitsis, along with Once writer Ian Goldberg.

Disclosure: TVLine editor-at-large Matt Webb Mitovich served as a consultant on the project.

Here’s the series’ official description, per the network:

Set in the late 1980s, school is out for the summer, and a sun-drenched season of firsts beckons the counselors at Camp Clearwater, a seemingly idyllic Midwestern summer camp, including first loves, first kisses – and first kills. Clearwater’s dark, ancient mythology awakens, and what was supposed to be a summer of fun soon turns into one of unforgettable scares and evil at every turn. Part coming-of-age story, part supernatural horror story, “Dead of Summer” is a bold, new series that mixes genres as it examines the light and dark of a summer like no other.

Do loves, kisses and kills sound good to you? Drop a comment with your initial thoughts below.

1. Jake L. says:

So Adam and Eddy are gong to be splitting their focus between OUAT and this new show? Given the current state of OUAT, I’m not sure that’s a great idea. How does this affect the show they already have on the air?

• Wordsmith says:

Greg Berlanti has like six shows on the air and most of them are doing just fine. It’s all about delegating to trustworthy proteges. Fresh blood might actually help a stagnating series.

2. Rebecca Beau says:

I hope the great Elizabeth Lail (Anna of OUAT) is involved in this. Sounds incredible!

3. jenn says:

ill be watching!!!

4. Dean says:

So are paranormal locations their show gimmick?

5. Rebecca says:

Thanks for the heads up so I can avoid another show from A&E. God knows they’ll only ruin it too.

6. buttercupscarlett95 says:

I love OUAT, but I’m not big on horror stories. I’ll try watching the pilot and see what I think.

7. CK2 says:

I’m loving this resurgence of horror themed tv shows. I’m also happy that someone’s going to do a summer camp horror story before it inevitably gets butchered by Ryan Murphy.

• Wordsmith says:

I’m actually surprised that American Horror Story didn’t get there first. It’s such an iconic (and distinctly American) setting for the horror genre.

• DoctorWhoFanatic says:

It was probably the plan for season two of Scream Queens… which, while seriously over the top, is a lot of fun and I think it’s a shame it probably won’t get a second season. LOL

• Alice says:

I really wanted them to combine the final season of Glee with that year’s season of American Horror Story- send everyone to music camp, as counselors, as campers, and kill them off one by one.

• Ray says:

Now if only there was a resurgence of witch themed TV shows….

I’m still not over the cancellation of Witches of East End, The Secret Circle and Eastwick.

• Tina Fey says:

This IS the plan for Scream Queens season 2. 21st Century Fox copywrighted “Scream Queens: Summer Camp” earlier this year, so it sounds like to me that A&E are trying to beat Ryan Murphy et al to the punch.

8. thisismenow says:

So is this the remains of the Friday the 13th Show the CW was looking at. Camp Clearwater sounds a lot like Camp Crystal Lake…..which is also a supernatural, coming of age thing with an evil that awakens. or are we blindly ignoring it is Friday the 13th?

9. Lambsilencer says:

And still nothing about “The Perfectionists”, which, from the outline, I was quite looking forward to. Still wondering about the status of that.

10. Lysh says:

I’m not big on horror stuff, but I like Once and A&E and Mitovich, so I’ll probably try to check it somehow (I don’t have ABCF/cable). Congrats to them!

11. Gracie says:

Sounds AWESOME!

12. Kristen says:

80’s camp horror series!? I’m in! I love cheesy 80’s horror films, so I’m all over this bad boy! Can’t wait!