True Detective Season 3

True Detective Season 3 Still TBD as HBO Inks Overall Deal With Series Creator Nic Pizzolatto

The jury is still out on True Detective Season 3, but the verdict is in on the show’s creator, Nic Pizzolatto.

The auteur has inked an exclusive overall deal with HBO through 2018 that calls for him to develop “a number of new projects,” including — possibly — a third season of True Detective.

“I am thrilled to continue our relationship with Nic, as he is one of the most exceptionally talented writers and producers working today,” said HBO president Michael Lombardo in a statement. “I look forward to seeing where his unique creative vision will take us next.”

The new Pizzolatto pact arrives in the wake of True Detective‘s critically drubbed second season starring Vince Vaughn, Rachel McAdams and Colin Farrell. Despite the poor reception, the crime anthology held up well ratings-wise, averaging 11 million cumulative viewers (versus Season 1’s 12 million).

1. I liked the second season.

2. dj says:

Hopefully, it’s not as bad as season 2. Talk about a snore. People are bored with mobster stuff. We’ve all seen the “waste management” mafia guys, etc. The Sopranos did it well.

3. Et al. says:

Season 2 of TD made it painfully obvious Cary Fukunaga was the real talent behind the original. HBO should have inked a deal with him instead.

4. Shaun says:

As long as we find somewhere less trite than LA to shoot in.How about Minnesota or Colorado?

• Amy says:

I agree! Part of what made season 1 so grand was the setting of Louisiana. A lesser filmed state would make a lot of difference. I would also like to see them set it in a different time period, like the 50s or 60s…

5. william says:

Season 2 was much more enjoyable than season 1, for me. Liked the cast a lot, hope the creators can do as well for season 3. I don’t know how they could top the sound track though.

6. Heathers says:

Season two of True Detective was excellent. Much better than 95% of network television (I’m talking about you Greys Anatomy, Once Upon a Time, etc. etc.)

7. LT says:

No need for True Detective when we have the perfection that is FARGO.

• Leo says:

THIS.

Fargo wipes the floor with True Detective. Noah Hawley is the real deal. Nic Pizzolatto seems to be a whiny, pretentious hack. Cary Fukunaga is the one who elevated it the first season.

• DanielleZ says:

I beg to differ. The movie FARGO is perfection. Nothing compares. This is why I can’t watch the TV show no matter how much the critics like it.

8. peterwdawson says:

Not a shock. Most interesting main character died the quickest with a lot about him left unresolved, plot seemed to meander, and the big deep monologues and such were delivered with total sincerity this time and without someone like Woody Harrelson to inject some realism.

9. masscraft says:

Second season writing was awful. Acting was solid, but overwritten script.

10. DanielleZ says:

I didn’t think Season 2 was bad. Not as good as Season 1 but it kept me interested. I’d consider watching Season 3 depending on the actors starring in it and the storyline, of course.

11. Lizanne Whitlow says:

Season 2 TD was superb. Thank you. What we don’t need is more massive depression like season 1 with ensuing horrible visits to the Bataclan so that we can be slapped in the face by “Eagles of Death Metal” … We need hope and humor, and the possibility of human connection.

12. Joanne Apsche says:

I totally enjoyed both series of True Detective. I am looking forward to another season. The actors are great but I enjoy the flow of the season. Both seasons kept me thinking the entire time. I enjoy the challenge of figuring it out ….
    Please come back ….

13. Sue says:

I just binge watched both seasons and LOVED them both. For different reasons. Acting was awesome and character development was better in second. Make another dammit.