Exclusive

American Idol's Season 15 Poster Takes Us Back... Way Back

The poster for American Idol‘s 15th and final season is revisiting the B.C. — Before Clarkson — era.

Not only does the key art — obtained exclusively by TVLine — include franchise MVPs Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Adam Lambert, Jennifer Hudson and more, but it includes a clever nod to the iconic reality singing competition’s earliest promo campaign.

Indeed, wedged right between Chris Daughtry and Phillip Phillips is a blonde-haired hopeful flinging her hair and clutching a mic stand: If she looks familiar, that’s because it’s an image of model Amanda Noret (circa 2002) that Fox used for the show’s Season 1 posters.

OK, I could kvetch about the need for more Haley Reinhart and Fantasia Barrino and… well, you know I could run a list all the way through Aloha Mi’sho… but instead, let me applaud Idol‘s powers-that-be for focusing on the show’s star-making magic.

Idol‘s farewell season (nooooo! I won’t accept this!) kicks off Jan. 6 and 7 at 8/7c on Fox.

Check out the full poster below, then hit the comments with your thoughts!

american-idol-season-15-poster

1. Discover an idol one last time? Magic 8 ball says not likely.

2. MicoMendoza says:

I can’t– I just can’t!!! Can’t live without it!

3. CK2 says:

More importantly, when does Reality Check start back up? I really can’t do another season of the Harry Connick Jr. show so I’ll probably just watch RC to get my Idol fill.

4. Helloooooo says:

Yes I am gonna go there…….Why is Carrie’s big head front and center? Carrie you are beautiful and incredibly successful and this is nitpicky as hell but Kelly BUILT Idol and her glorious mug should be the main focal point. Ya’ll know I am right lol

Otherwise it’s a great poster. Makes me feel fuzzy feeling of yesteryear lol. I think it hits the nail on the head about most of the most successful and relevant contestants EXCEPT I have to wonder if McPhee didn’t pay someone off there to be included lol. Nothing against her, and she’s been lucky enough to have a decent post Idol career doing…..something…..but I woulda pegged maybe Fantsia or hell even Crayken to be included on that big old display of nostalgia. They aren’t my faves but surely are more recognizable as one of the “classic” idol contestants more than the girl who was in that one show that got cancelled that one time lol.

Goodbye little show! You were a bastion of hope and light in a dark world of increasing grief and strife!! (Too much?) I am feeling a little verklempt right now I won’t lie. Idol 4 eva!!!

• ChellemaBelle says:

My guess is that they are showcasing the most profitable/recognizable success stories from the tenure vs. actual “ordained” winners. Obviously, there were some that were not recognized at the time for how great they would be– Jennifer Hudson being the most notable. Frankly, I’m thrilled to see Adam Lambert on there. (Insert unbelievably high range yowl here.)

• Blu gram says:

I think Adam Lambert is the only idol to come back every year after his win as a performer , mentor or judge

• biggestleeker says:

LOL Adam has done everything but host the show. To me the was the most talented and interesting they ever had. After he was gone it seems they tried to make all kinds of twists and changes to make it interesting, but nothing worked.

• Mere says:

Hmm. Oh, I don’t know…perhaps you aren’t right? As great as Kelly is and despite the fact that she launched the show, you aren’t going to find anyone in the history of this show who has had more success than Carrie Underwood. Record sales, awards, concerts… a simple google search on profits earned (from everything) on all Idol alumni and you will have the answer.

• Lyn says:

Um, Kat McPhee is one of the stars of the currently running and popular Scorpion on CBS.

• Terry says:

Oh, so that’s who is in the bottom right corner, I couldn’t place her for the life of me. Poor Taylor Hicks, they have 2 peeps from his season featured in the poster and neither one of them are him, the actual winner of his season. Haha.

• maregolden says:

Taylor Hicks only won because of the extremely popular website “Vote for the Worst”, in my opinion.

• I’m not too concerned about Taylor Hicks not being on Idol’s last season poster. Anyone who wound up 4th on Forbes highest Idol’s earner list the past 2 years is doing just fine in every respect. Certainly he is laughing all the way to the bank. Can’t wait to see him on the show next year.

• idoloriginal says:

Actually, in terms of success after Idol, Katharine McPhee is deservedly among these ranks. Her music career in terms of sales might not compare, but her voice has allowed her to sing alongside vocalists like Andrea Bocelli. She’s written music with Sia, Ryan Tedder, Isabel Summers, Ingrid Michaelson, Paula Cole. Most of these successes without the backing of a big music label.

Smash has become a tv pop culture cult classic as the show within the show is being propelled to a full fledged broadway stage show. So you mentioned fantasia and clay, who also have success in the broadway world, so why not Kat who was on a show that clearly has become a part of the broadway fandom. And take a listen to all the original songs that were written for that show and performed by Katharine that carry on after the show even though it only ran for 2 seasons.

Not only that, she has been in several movies including the Housebunny.

And now she is on Scorpion, a hit show on CBS that will most likely get renewed for a 3rd season on a major network. With an average of 10 million viewers every week I would say that that is a major success for both the show and Katharine.

This girl deserves to be on this poster because she is an icon for the successes that idol has produced.

5. Lking says:

I think this an accurate power list for Idol. The show also gave many other lower tier artists a means for making a career in music, Scotty, Melinda, Hailey, Kris, both David’s, Fantasa, Kelly and many more. I blame the Voice and their over saturation of singers for weakening Idol, plus shifting the emphasis from
    Contestants to judges.

• Jakay says:

Jordin Sparks might have something to say about putting McPhee and Lambert up there instead of her. She’s not my favorite Idol, but she did win her season and she’s had hit singles, too. David Cook is another odd omission.

6. zac says:

I will forever prefer Idol over The Voice. There’s something about I dol that makes me want to watch all performance and the judges critiques. Maybe because I know that some Voice contestants are already pros and the judges heaps all praises and see nothing bad in every performance

7. Pedro says:

Who’s the woman on the left bottom corner.

8. Dizzle says:

You say “model Amanda Noret”, I say the once and future Madison Sinclair.

Veronica Mars’ undying-fandom aside, I’m looking forward to the new season of Idol. All good things must come to an end, but I hope they can go out with a bang and find the next Kelly or Carrie.

9. jason says:

Kris Allen should be on there, as a past winner.

• MJ2 says:

Why would they include Kris Allen? He wasn’t a successful winner … he never broke out of the Idol bubble. And to be fair, he wasn’t the only one. There were a few other winners who couldn’t capitalize on their Idol win. If you notice, they’re not included either.

10. Adam says:

Who’s the woman on the right bottom corner?

11. zoiebull says:

Love the artwork! Adam Lambert always my favorite artist ! Much luck in the future for all Idol Alumni !!

12. Summer says:

American Idol will be missed! It’s the ONLY voice show that actually produced Real Deal Talented singers with staying power. I agree Idol went down as soon as they brought in judges that had huge egos!! Idol worked because the Focus was in the contestants NOT judges. The Voice is all about the Judges! They NEVER give an honest critique. It’s like a circus act how they pick and trade and steal contestants.
    Thank you American Idol for the great talent you’ve given us. I hope this last season is ALL about the past best Idols mentoring the contestants. Kelly Adam Carrie Daughtry and Jennifer have EARNED the right to Mentor and advise them. It will be the best way to go out. Please take the focus OFF the judges! Enough people have spoken they hate it and that’s the reason for the ratings drop. Listen to the people! And Definitely bring back the 3 original judges!

13. Edwardo says:

Loved the run. Wish it would continue. Had a blast getting to know the contestants and pulling for our favorites each week. What if this season is a ratings giant? lol. Then what will they do?

14. sarah t says:

I’m actually going to miss Idol. Even though it doesn’t “sparkle” quite like it used to, I still always look forward to it every January. And as others have mentioned, it’s the only competition to produce actual money making artists (that still continue to do well in just about every aspect of entertainment: music, theater, movies, tv, etc). Also, I think part of what sets Idol apart is Seacrest. I know there are those who aren’t fans but I genuinely like him. Plus, he seems to genuinely like Idol. I was still wishing that Idol would come back for it’s final season with all of the original judges. It wouldn’t surprise me if for one of the episodes (perhaps the premiere live show) they get the original three to reprise their roles in the judges seat.

15. Chris says:

Uh…How come there aren’t more winners on the poster? I voted very hard to make sure David Cook and Kris Allen won.

16. funbunn40 says:

Idol has given these performers a great platform & is the only talent show to produce such great talent. My all time favorite will always be Adam Lambert who raised the bar & showed his creative ability as well as being able to sing any genre of music equally well, not labeling himself as a one genre performer// He’s also the only one to appear every season since his own in some capacity, coming full circle as a very capable judge and mentor I’m so happy for his success as well as the others & look forward to seeing them all, especially Adam on this final seasom.