Reign Francis Death

Reign's Toby Regbo Says Goodbye to Fans: 'It's Been an Absolute Pleasure'

Still have a tickle in your throat after Friday’s Reign? Perhaps a few words from (former) star Toby Regbo will help to mend your broken heart.

“So, after a [few] good innings, Francis finally bit the bullet,” Regbo posted to Twitter on Sunday night, just two days after his royal character’s death aired on The CW. “A rare ear infection/assassin combo.”

(In case you missed Francis’ untimely passing, feel free to watch the nightmare here.)

“I just wanted to say it’s been an absolute pleasure,” he continued. “I want to say a massive thank you to you, the fans, who make it so worthwhile. … It’s been a blast being the king.”

Regboners, or so I’m led to believe Regbo calls his fans, have you come to terms with Francis’ death? Read the actor’s full statement below, then drop a comment with your thoughts on his character’s passing.

1. Viv says:

So adorable! And such a talent… I really hope he goes all the way…

2. Tracy says:

A complete mistake for the ending of the front liner character Francis. That would be like getting rid of Dorothy in the wizard of oz and finishing the movie up with the lion,tin man and scarecrow, makes no sense! Toby, you were a Great King Francis and a wonderful actor!

• tvjunkie says:

You need a history lesson. I’m pretty sure the shows creator(s) said they would stick with some of the major historical facts, like Francis’ death.

• Lynn says:

The writers barely stuck with anything truly historically accurate! They easily could have changed this just like they invented other story lines!

• MFL says:

This is Mary Queen of Scot’s story…the intro in season 1 made it perfectly clear. There are some major historical facts they cannot go around even if they wanted to..Mary has 2 more husbands after Francis..how would that come about if Francis is not dead!

• Lynn says:

I think we’re all aware of that but when the writers make you dislike & root against the main character, what’s the point of watching? The writers made the mistake of making Francis’ character so relatable and likeable that not many wanted to see him die.

• Cassie says:

They are gonna have to try really hard if they want to keep people interested because it even says it that this is about Mary being married to the next king of France and that was Francis

• Melissa says:

Yeah that’s true according to the history but honestly since his death I didn’t watch any more episodes cause he was two of the main characters

• ediekeel says:

Toby..you are such an amazing actor..so is everyone else on the show..I sure hope to see you in some future major films especially within the USA..but..keep your accent..its super sexy! I have never really been into fair haired blue eyed men until you..I just think your beautiful!

• Well it could come about being that you have committed treason at least twice and in real life, Mary Queen of Scots was….to put it nicely Notorious!

• Lisa baker says:

I agree. I’m not watching anymore!!!!

• Mary says:

Of course!! I agree with you

• Mary says:

After the death of Francis, I will not see more seasons. The main character dies . I have no interest in this series … Toby is a crear actor

• Monique says:

I agree!!

• Kymonii lowery says:

I know right they have all of these other supernatural things going on in the show and they go way off topic I mean stick to history they shouldn’t of cancelled him off the show if they we’re going to do all the ghostly affect I mean If you we’re going to do all of that then the cast should of just joined the cf vampire diaries we all know that in history there we’re no the ghosts of Francis dad and there we’re no people jumping out of there graves coming for revenge I mean that’s messed I’m pissed😈😈😈😈😈😈

• Mary says:

Totalmente de acuerdo!!! Después de la temporada 3 no veré más, en caso de que hagan más temporadas. Durante todos los capítulos de las 3 temporadas nos lo presentan como actor principal ( además de ser un gran actor, como hemos podido comprobar),nos muestran la gran sensibilidad de él y la historia de él y Maria con mucho romanticismo para ahora al final de la serie hacernos esto??? Por Dios!!! Se han cargado la serie, para mi forma de ver

• Mary says:

then later die Maria , it is the story … I will not ser more seasons. I don’t care much

• I hear what you’re saying about history, but for me this show was fantasy and life is already hard enough, I wanted my fantasy to continue. Mary, was very hard to like, truly. That being said writers have a right to wield that pencil and their imaginations anyway it pleases them. Even though I may not continue watching I do wish the show continued success.

• By the way, someone mentioned that Francis cheated with Marys best friend who then had his child. Mary had ended their relationship because of the prophesy and intended to Mary his brother Bash. I mean really, did he owe her any loyalty.

• Kimmi nicole says:

Yeah it certainly was a nail biter but basing a series off of real life historical events always leaves that bitter aftertaste of it all circling back to the reality that Acctually occurred. Francis died not But a year after being Wed to Mary in real life so the same occurred in the show. I wonder if the rest of the show will correspond with the acctual history? If so it’s gonna get a lot more heartbreaking.

• They haven’t since the beginning, it wasn’t intended on being that way, meaning part true and mostly fantacy. That’s why we watched it, but killing off the best character just killed that show. In real life their marriage was never consummated due to his illness and it would have been nearly impossible because of his private parts. Mary was 17 and nearly 6ft tall towered over Francis who was 14 at the time. She did adore him, I imaging her to look like Nicole Kidman. Sincerely Regboner lol

• Levean says:

I agree with you 100% it was so crazy that they took Francis out of the show .

• tsevca says:

I won´t use the card “he died in real history”, but it isn´t the same. He wasn´t the main character of the show, Mary is. Her story hasn´t even begun yet. This period of her life was so insignificant in the whole picture, it sometimes covers only few pages in books about her, even only 1. The real story of Mary Stuart starts, when she returns to Scotland. She isn´t known as Mary, Queen of France, but as Mary, Queen of Scots. For a reason. And despite being the only one of her husbands, who was a king without marrying her, even king of France, Francis was so insignificant to everybody that he is the least famous of her husbands. Killing him off… I´m more surprised it took them so long.

• Lucy Oaks says:

Historically, he died pretty quickly after they married. One to two and a half yesrs. History sucks sometimes. Lol

3. farrahpahree says:

I still can’t get over it I thought O was ready but I wasn’t and I’m still not lol don’t tell me you didn’t cry cuz I won’t believe you

• I’m a Regboner if you cried than your all Regboner’s. I can’t believe the writers of Reign killed him off. I believe that he’ll find a promising career as a star in the US and UK. May you become a supperstar TOBY REGBO!

• IrishBearinOregon says:

I didn’t cry. I cried when Lola was beheaded because she was such a sweet lady!!! She was caught between a rock and a hard place as they say. Her love for Mary her best friend and her duty to her country Scotland and her growing friendship with Queen Elizabeth. It didn’t happen historically so they could’ve come up with a way to save her!!

4. Lynn says:

After using rape as a plot device to set up a love triangle, I was ready to quit watching. The only reasons I continued were because Francis was so likeable & Toby’s phenomenal acting. Now, I’m finally done with Reign. Looking forward to seeing Toby in his next project.

Also, the fans came up with “Regboners”. Lol

• Your right about that, I’m a Regboner. IDK if any other cast members have true fans that will call themselves by their favorite characters name. We do it because he’s talented and adorable and I don’t care what’s his preference is, that’s his business. He definitely has CHARISMA a winning smile that’s very refreshing.

5. Tiffany says:

Im so sad to see him go ..you have to bring him back he makes the whole show im so sad he is gone

6. levana says:

i am still so sad because that’s all i can think about i miss him a lot,but you know all we can do is hope for the best and that new opurtunites will come and it won’t be long until we see him on our telly again. love you so much Toby thank you for protracting Francis in a way no one else could. i will always support you ,and i will forever ship frary and tobadelaide. Frary was my first otp and i intend to make it my last. always and forever i will be a regboner.

7. pati says:

I’m finally caught up on Reign but I can’t remember is Conde dead? What happened to him. What about Kenna is she done too?

• Ani Shadunts says:

by the way I don’t see Kenna too but Conde he is alive and I’m very sad that Francis is gone … it will not be the same without him

• Jennifer says:

If you remember Kenna got pregnant from another man and went off to another country or something to have the baby. The last I can remember is Conde is off somewhere hiding like the coward he is!!! LOL Hope this helps you.

8. Lola says:

The Reign writers made a mistake. They should’ve planned his death for the end of the series. I think Toby and Megan Follows were their best actors they had. I know the story is about Mary Queen of Scots blah blah. But Francis should’ve been there til the end and then the narrative for the series ending would be Mary returning to Scotland.

• MFL says:

All for the sake of a ‘ship’…lol
      This is not the story of FRARY! smh

• Lola says:

No. More for the sake of Toby being one of their strongest actors. I don’t even like Mary. I thought Francis should’ve sent her packing to Scotland with her lover long ago.

• Lynn says:

Exactly! Not many care about Frary after last season. Mary committed adultery and treason & to me Frary died right then & there. Losing Toby will hurt the show since so many people actively dislike Mary’s character.

• Golden says:

Francis committed adultery too with Narcis’s niece.

• Lynn says:

Yeah, after Mary pushed him into it repeatedly. Kings were expected to have mistresses at that time, which Francis did not. For a queen however, adultery is treason punishable by death. So they’re totally not the same.

• Pamela says:

Although Mary lost it in the last season, please remember that Francis was not a saint either. He cheated on her with her BEST FRIEND, and got her pregnant. Meanwhile, Mary ( who yes, has made mistakes too) took it all like a champ. Just because he was a King, does not make his actions excusable. I agree the show is going to lose a lot of fans because of the death of Francis, but it won’t be because Mary’s character is disliked. She is strong, and she puts her people above herself. Furthermore, she admits when she is wrong, and makes up for it. The writers sold us on their love story, and because Toby and Adelaide did an AMAZING job of making that love real on screen, we became too attached. The only people we should be mad at are the writers!!!!!! Anyway, lots of support to both Toby and Adelaide because they are truly talented artists.

• Radha says:

No she’s right. The series was sped up WAY too fast. First season should have drawn out Francis and Mary’s relationship and then had them get married at the END of the season. King Henry’s madness should have been introduced slowly and maybe start to truly manifest in 2nd season. Everyone’s relationships were rushed, Bash and Mary should NEVER have happened and Francis being king should have lasted at least 4 or 5 seasons with the series ending with his death. They should have cut out the rape storyline altogether. They rushed things and every episode seemed to be “3 or 4 months later” What? Do the writers not know about drawing out a storyline. Obviously don’t overdo it, but they could’ve had each season be the span of 1 or 2 months.

The series is not just about Mary, but about Mary in her time in FRANCE. What are they going to do? Uproot her and fire half the characters right now in order to move her back to Scotland? Her life was a cursed one and most of that stuff happened when she was much older.

The series should have ended with Francis’ death and her setting foot back on Scotland’s soil and END SCENE.

• tintin says:

then the series would drag and people would lose interest faster than you can say “jack”. mary and francis cant last for 5 seasons cos in d original story, she was married to francis for a year and about 6 months. i am surprised he made it to season 3. disrupting the story soo much will upset the historians…lol

• Eva says:

Exactly, they went through her life way too fast.

• tp says:

Mary and Francis were not a “ship”. They were real life husband and wife who were absolutely nothing like the way they were written. Mary was still so in love with Francis at the time of her beheading she asked to be buried with him some 20/30 odd years later. McCarthy killed this show with her crap and it’s such a shame cause the first 13 episodes were amazing.

• Levean says:

I agree with that 100%

9. B Gentrystout says:

It was a poignant finish in that Francis truly defended Mary to the end. The fight scene was hard to watch the first time and even the second time.
    Sorry to see Toby leave, but have no doubt there’s wonderful opportunities waiting for him.
    He is talented for sure.

• Mary says:

En mi opinión, Toby es el mejor actor de la serie y con mucho carisma. Yo también estoy deseando verlo en otro proyecto.

10. deb says:

im 57 yr old woman and im hooked on ”REIGN”TOBY WAS AN EXCELLANT KING–I WILL MISS HIM –[I CRIED LIKE A BABY]…HOPE TO SEE YOU IN OTHER FINE T.V SHOWS…BUT YOU STILL ARE MY KING–ITS GONNA BE HARD SEEING MARY WITH A NEW BEAU……………

11. carmen says:

It was a bad move to get rid of Francis. The show has been historically innacurate from the beginning… I personally only watched the show to see Toby. No Francis, no more Reign. Im done with the show.

12. Margaret Yu says:

Toby you are such a fine actor. I am sure this will not be the end of it. Keep us posted with your new projects.

13. Jamie says:

Nooooooooo, I loved you in the show. Wish u all the best. P.S. You are hot😍.

14. Melissa says:

It’s mainly on actual events , the real king France’s actually died at age 16

• Mary says:

En la serie, pocos sucesos e incluso personajes se ajustan a la realidad. Por ejemplo el personaje de Sebastian Bash no existió en la realidad. Así que podrían haber cambiado el final. Francisco y Maria hubiesen acabado juntos y con hijos. Y así el fin de la serie y todos contentos. No crees?

• Mary says:

In the series, few events and even characters fit the reality. For example the character of Sebastian Bash did not exist in reality. So they could have changed the end. Francisco and Maria had finished together with children. And so the end of the series and everyone is happy . Dont you think?

15. Key McKinley says:

I have already read the story on Mary Queen of Scotts so I knew Francis was going to die a year ago when I started watching the series… However, that death was absolutely LAME!! Why have a fake magical dodge of death to kill him in the very next episode? As a fan of the show… Disappointed!!

Now I am waiting to see how Mary makes out the rest of her life as a prisoner of Queen Elizabeth.

16. emmanuel says:

Absolutely enjoy the show and how you personified the Francis character. You will be truly missed.

17. Rebecca says:

Mr Regbo! As I wrote on facebook – you are an A+ actor, loads of talent, and if you decide to continue acting, there is nothing you cannot conquer! You made the series worthwhile and if it wasn’t for your superb acting skills, Reign would have folded long ago because it is a highly specialized period drama and these type of tv series are a risk to produce. Anyway, you kept Reign going – which is good – because Reign is about alliances and monarchies. We, your fans, are sad to see you leave but I wish you all the best in your future endeavors and look forward to seeing you acting again in the near future! As I continue to watch Reign, I look forward to what happens to King Francis’ son, and Queen Mary.

• Donna Craig says:

Nicely said. Toby, you are incredibly talented and a huge credit to your profession. Best of luck in all your future endeavors, and please do something soon. You are sure to shine where so many others are only mediocre.

18. Mimi says:

Toby really grew with the part of Francis II and did a fantastic job. The show will not be the same without him. I wish Toby the best of luck in future endevours and hope to see him on tv or in the movies soon.

19. Tebby says:

The writers said from the beginning they were NOT going to follow true to history and they didn’t. Now they’ve killed off Francis?! What?

Frary was the only reason I watched the show. Hasta la vista, Reign. I and many of my friends are done watching.

20. Rachel says:

This is so sad, I really love the character of Toby as king Francis. I’m really a number one fun of reign and I really cry after the episode where Toby died.. Hmm …

21. Gabriel says:

Love Tony, the way he handled the Character during the Age of Mary and conde was so good gonna miss him

22. Gabriel says:

Love Toby, the way he handled the Character during the Age of Mary and conde was so good gonna miss him

23. Sharon says:

Certainly made me cry like a baby :-( I have to be totally honest I’d never heard of Toby Regbo before watching Reign on Netflix (and I’m from the UK) so a bit embarrassed about that. I knew from the Pilot that he was going to be a huge hit……you can just stare at his angelic face all day….what a superb Actor and he brought the WOW factor to the Show!!! I loved his Chemistry with Adelaide and their Love story has left a whole inside me now as I loved seeing them together so much. I need to have constant reality checks now and then as I get so engrossed in fab shows like this and have to keep telling myself it’s not real, but then I have to remember History and from what I’ve read, they really did have a huge love for one another and Mary Queen of Scots never got over his death :-( I am really going to miss Toby Regbo but I know he will go on to bigger things…..love him, what a guy :-) xx

24. Vallen says:

Loved him , he made the show not watching anymore😒

25. Toby you were the first reason I loved the Show, Bash and Mary were the other reasons, all the cast is great,
    It definitely is not going to be the same, did you want to leave or was it the writers if it was they need to go. Is there anything else you
    have been in?And is there anything you are doing or going to be doing soon. Will really miss whatchig you every week. Have A Blessed Life and Long Career xol

26. TCV: SUCH A BIG FAN SINCE THE BEGINNING. ENJOY ENTIRE CAST ESPECIALLY MARY. IT
    IS A SHAME TO SEE U GO. HAVE A GOOD LIFE AND NO MORE EARLY EXITS FOR THE RE-
    MAINING CAST.

27. Valerie says:

I love Toby he did a great job playing the king it won’t be the same without him but I will still be watching the show to see how it goes for queen Mary and queen Elizabeth u will be missed I hope this don’t hurt the ratings of the show cuz I do like it I wish u luck and I hope I can see u more on TV ur truly talented

28. Cherry says:

The show will lose its interesting after losing Francis. Toby is a talent for sure. Even in Season 2, I really enjoyed his performance though the storyline was so unpleasant. Looking forward to seeing Toby’s new project soon!

29. Bren Gavin says:

Toby Regbo is a very talented and I see a bright future for this young man.

Sad to see King Francis leave Reign but we all know that’s a sinking ship. I really liked the show and it’s visually stunning, well made production.

30. ediekeel says:

I think ut would be so easy to revive king Francis..afterall..the “dead” were rising..please make it so that Toby didnt die but only lays in coma but is dug up by his brother who still had a connection to savine or whatever her name was and somehow reached out to him from the other side letting him know Francis is not dead. Toby is so damn hot…I love his beautiful sweet face!!! The show is just dull without him..he adds a beauty to the show that no other man has and OMG he is an awesome actor everything he does makes me feel like im there with him.😢

31. Lisa says:

I was very upset about Toby’s character being killed off, but at the same time I was ready to see another chapter in Mary Queen of Scots’ life. Please keep us informed if Toby stars in another series or movie. He is wonderful actor.

32. pam says:

I was shocked that they killed u off did u want to leave the show and what r u going to do now

33. Charie says:

I’ve never liked a show as much as this one. I stayed up until after 2:00 a.m. the first night and almost every night since I found Reign on Netflix until I got caught up with the episodes, only to have the star die. Very bad decision. This is not a documentary. Frances could have died later in the show when he was very much older and under different circumstances if it was necessary for that to happen. Very bad decision. I no longer have any in watching the show. Toby, I look forward to seeing you in whatever you choose to do in the future. You have a good one ahead.

34. eva says:

And the ratings plummet continues……

35. Jenna says:

Omg… I literally cried so hard. My heart shattered when Francis died. Omg… I hope that Toby got a way better offer because I am done with Reign. Its not gonna be the same with him.

36. star says:

I think y’all wrong to take out Francis is taking out Elena. He was the show him and Mary.

37. Kim says:

I really hope some how they would bring Francis back. It’s a show that I love and can’t wait every wk to watch. The writers can change the outcome to what really happened in the past.

• Mary says:

Estoy de acuerdo contigo. Lo pueden traer de vuelta, si quieren. Yo después de la muerte de Francisco no veré más episodios. Sólo la temporada 3 y no más

• Mary says:

I agree with you. They can bring back him , if they want. I after the death of Francisco will not see more episodes . Only season 3 and no more

38. Buck987 says:

Completely disappointed with Francis’s death. His and Mary’s relationship was the whole reason I got hooked on the show, and now he’s dead. Can’t imagine watching the show without him, so I probably won’t.

39. Alicia says:

Why did the king have to die? How will queen Mary and Katherine go on? This is horrible having him leave. I’m broken.

40. Carrie Mier says:

without Francis i will not b watching ever goodbye

41. kitty may says:

I’m done with Reign. Can’t wait to see what he does next.

42. ariel says:

history sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its sad that he died and all the husbands after that suck.

43. lena says:

history sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! all of Mary’s husbands suck after him and she doesn’t really love them and then she dies because people think she’s plotting against Elizabeth

44. missykrissy says:

I’m done….. no Francis/Toby no me!!

45. Sara says:

I understand they have to stick to a few of the historical facts but I truly think they ended the main character and I would have liked if they somehow could get around that, as it is fantasy.
    No more Reign for me as I think Francis (Toby) were the behold of the serie

46. Rhoda says:

I just hope the saying, “The end of something is only the beginning of something better,” for you Toby :) I look forward to seeing the many blessings that pursue you in the days to come.

47. LF says:

A class act. We will miss you!

48. Jolly says:

Is Toby doing any movie now that his role in the Teign went caput ? Would to to see him again a in a romantic role.

49. robin says:

I’m so beyond disappointed..I had really hoped that Frances would have lived..I fell for his charm! I love the queen, and adore Catherine…but Frances I cried my eyes out knowing u were no longer going to be apart of reigns journey! I told myself I would not watch if the producers killed u off….now I find myself watching and hopping that marry finds herself with your child….fan of the show & and a fan of yours Frances…we loved you..

50. Jolly says:

Toby can still come back to the set. He can be in Mary’s dreams and visions as she goes with the journey of the story. That’s what happens to someone who has not gotten over the death of a loved one. They try to find someone like the one they lost. The writer can come up with something like that. 😄 Lots of possibilities for Francis when imaginations kick in!

• Mernice Walker says:

I would like Toby to come back as ghost and visit Mary from time to time. Missed him wonderful actor he is.