Scandal Season 5 Recap

Scandal Recap: Daddy Fearest

On Thursday’s Scandal, Olivia makes a big confession, Fitz goes off the rails in the name of Olitz, and Rowan is apprehended by [spoiler]. Ready, set… let’s recap!

COTW | We open with the media in a frenzy over the potential of a historic disarmament deal between the U.S. and The Republic of Bandar, with Fitz and President Razani ready to sign on the dotted line. At a fancy dinner, a Bandar diplomat named Navid Turani tells Olivia he wants to defect to the U.S., citing human rights violations in his country. He offers up what he thinks is a nuclear site location in exchange, which Cyrus worries will blow up the accord deal. Enter the Gladiators, who go to work digging into Navid’s backstory. Is he sincere, or up to no good? Later, when the Gladiators discover Navid’s intel is apparently bogus — it’s just a soda factory, not a nuclear site — Olivia angrily denies his asylum request. The Gladiators eventually back up his story, but Navid has already gone and slit his wrists (thankfully, he’s still alive). Ultimately, Navid says he’s gay and was actually seeking asylum to escape certain death. Happily, Fitz grants the asylum. To wrap things up, Fitz (after signing the accord), whispers to Razani that he’s blowing the hidden cyber attacks site (aka soda factory) off the map, and there’s nothing the prez can do about it. Well played times two, Fitz!

BE AFRAID, BE VERY AFRAID | Meanwhile, Rowan pays Olivia a visit and tries to convince her that he’s actually not the devil; in fact, he’s – gulp! — scared silly of “someone else with their finger on the button, someone far more dangerous than I.” Rowan tells Olivia she should be afraid, too, and reminds her, “I did my best for you. I take tremendous pride in who you have become.” That compels Liv to ask Huck about Lazarus One — AKA the kill Rowan plan — which he says he hasn’t heard of (yeah, right!).

OLIVIA’S CHOICE | Olivia tells Jake she’s convinced Rowan is “actually the innocent one this time,” but he’s having none of it. His days of “spooning” his ex through those dark, Rowan-created places are over. “That train has left the station, and you do not get to ride this anymore,” he huffs. Later, Abby tells Olivia that Cyrus is working with David behind Fitz’s back, and it’s “only a matter of time” before Fitz learns the truth. Liv knows she must come clean, but she also knows that “once I tell him, that’s it — we’re done. I’m not ready to be done.”

SET THE NIGHT TO MUSIC | Realizing he’s being iced out of the White House’s inner circle, Cyrus tasks David with finding Rowan and returning “him to his cement box.” Of course, David’s investigation lead him straight to Olivia, who’s arrested for aiding the escape of a prisoner. Liv’s first visitor in “jail” is Fitz, who refuses to believe she played any role in her father’s release. “You wouldn’t do that to me, you’re not Mellie,” says Fitz, before adding “tell me it’s not true.” Cue Roberta Flack’s “Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow” while a teary Olivia spills the beans (at least we think she did; the director got artsy and cut the dialogue from the scene!).

HOME, SWEET HOME | But instead of kicking Olivia out, Fitz moves her in! Yep, POTUS shocks Cyrus and demands Liv be released and sent straight to the residence. He even has Liv’s vast wardrobe moved into the White House. “You live here now,” he creepily informs Liv, declaring to keep her safe (with her own Secret Service detail and all). “This is your home.” He also promises to call off the hit he put out on Rowan, but now it’s Fitz who’s the liar. In the previous scene, he orders Jake to simply “let me know when it’s done.” But someone else beats Jake to the proverbial punch. In the episode’s final moment, a handcuffed, terrified Rowan comes face-to-face with an unidentified kidnapper who turns out to be… Huck!

Now it’s your turn. What did you think of tonight’s episode? Hit the comments!

1. Al says:

My fave eps of the season, but I do hope someone gets kill next week

2. herman1959 says:

Olivia’s character and the whole Olitz dynamic has taken such a twist that I’m calling it now: this has GOT to be the last or next to the last season of this show.

3. niloofar says:

what a cartoon version of Iran.

4. niloofar22 says:

Last season Iran bought Olivia. :)

5. niloofar22 says:

I liked Jake’s line about thinking Olivia’s too good for him.

6. anna says:

Fitz is such a creep. Where’s mellie gone?

7. Brian says:

Good episode. Loved seeing Fitz turn creepy at the end. Many are saying WTF?, but I get it. Dude, must be sick of people always lying to him. And Tony & Kerry were great in the jail scene.

8. D says:

it took me awhile but I finally figured this show out, it’s about the bad guys all the main people are bad guys. I don’t think there is a redeemable character on the show they are all criminals, it really puts the show into context when you finally realize that. Liv was behind a coup of the United States. Fitz is a traitor and murderer, he might even be a war criminal. Huck is a serial killer. Abby might be the only half way innocent one

9. niloofar22 says:

I would have loved o hear Olivia’s ridiculous excuses, with her ugly crying face.

10. EV says:

I hope I don’t get the wrath of Shonda Rhimes or censorship by the moderator by posting this comment (some of my post are deleted by the moderator when they don’t agree with me, shame on you TVLINE, where is democracy???).

I don’t know whether it’s Shonda Rhimes thing, or the director thing.. but I find it very ANNOYING that almost all the characters in the show, TALK the same way when they are mad, arguing or making threat, which is the WEIRD way they pro-NOUN-CE words during in-TENSE MON-O-LOGUES. First I noticed it in Eli Pope, then i saw Olivia, Jake, Huck, Fitz, Mellie, Cyrus etc also do that when they get a heated argument scene, in episodes after episodes. Lately it’s getting WORSE that I mute and skip the scene when it happen.

It is very annoying and a very poor of a script/acting direction.
    I wish other viewer point this out more often to be heard.

• ajspree says:

amen to that. One of the reason I stopped watching the show and rather just read the recaps. I can’t stand the acting.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

There are zero (0) comments by you in our Trash folder, and zero (0) comments by you in our Spam filter (based on your current IP address, or by your supplied email address). —Mgmt. #ConspiracySnuffed

• EV says:

Hi Matt… thank you for your clarification, I posted twice or three times before. Once post even made it to the page, but disappeared later. maybe i used different email address, i kinda forget already, so that you cannot find it..
        kind of you to check though.. thank you.

• herman1959 says:

EV, you must be new. They’ve been speaking like this forever, and posters have been complaining about it for the same.

• EV says:

Not exactly new to Scandal, i followed it since season 1, but i don’t watch other Shonda shows, other than grey’s sparringly in Christina’s last season.

• Chester says:

They are called Shondalogues. I used to watch Grey’s Anatomy until I realized that all conflicts were resolved through these tiresome and repetitive monologues in which all characters have the same speech patterns. All the Shondalogues across all of her shows are alike. There is even a specific pattern in which she has all the characters repeat words. Very annoying. Bad writing.

• Karen says:

I so agree!

11. Jen says:

Season finale, kill Fitz, kill huck and time jump the following year and reboot. That would be very Shonda

• Amanda says:

This x10000 and make Quinn a lawyer again! She did go to law school! And quit trying to make people hate Mellie so much, she could be a fun character.

12. Joe says:

Stopped watching a few weeks ago , been reading the recaps , I’ve seen I haven’t missed anything

13. Fitz totally went creepy, controlling, possessive stalker in this episode under the guise of “protecting” her. That final scene between the two of them made my skin crawl (in a good way). It sounds all so reasonable, and yet all so sinister at the same time, and you could see that Olivia thought it was sinister as well. And David needs to dump the weird/crazy sex he is having with Lizzie Bear (who clearly doesn’t want him, but is just using him for the hell of it), and hook up with Susan Ross. THAT coupling would be far more entertaining and less likely to make me want a shower after their scenes together.

14. cuius says:

Has Shondaland got a new musical director? If so, he/she should be reined in, or terminated immediately. Last week, “Oops I Did it Again”, now “Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow” – surely, the music is supposed to aid the visuals, not be a distraction.

15. ACas says:

Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow is The Shirelles. Scandal uses a lot of Motown music.

16. Brenda Warren says:

Great show!! Great actors. Best show on TV.

17. robandco says:

I’ll never understand why Olivia is with Fitz. I like to watch them but he is such a control freak.
    I am loving the love triangle between David, Susan and Elizabeth. David and Susan are such dorks I love them.

• Diane Binder says:

I don’t really see him as completely controlling. There are moments, but I think he is very protective and caring. I can’t see Olivia as being boxed in, so think their relationship hams huge challenges.

• robandco says:

Let’s say he has his moments. But I agree the whole “you live here now” thing sounded a lot like “you’re my new pet”. Olivia is going to freak out (just in time for the mid-season finale, how convenient).

• TrudiV says:

The woman he is head over heels in love with, released the man who murdered his son. And he is supposed to do what exactly? If it were me I would have left her ass in jail.
      Fitz is too damn good for all of them.

18. Karen says:

This show has ” jumped the shark”. Insult to my intelligence. I loved this show when it stated. Now I hope it goes soon,

19. Tina says:

did anyone else love the face Susan Ross made when she left, went back and left again from Cyrus office. Her facial expression was so cute and funny and made me lover her even more.

• Cheyenne says:

I love Susan which is why I hope she doesn’t end up with David. He’s such a weasel. And she deserves better than Elizabeth North’s sloppy seconds.

20. Kristen says:

OMG I loved this episode! It was so dark and twisty! Jake’s guy being out of the box is HOT! Love seeing this side of him. I kinda saw it coming with Huck being the one to get Rowan, so while that wasn’t a huge surprise, it was definitely one that I liked very much. Fitz got super creepy with moving Liv into the White House. I feel like there may be more to this move than we have been told yet, but still, a moment that could’ve been romantic and sweet was quickly turned into borderline stalkerish by how he spoke to her and what he said. It was almost as if she’s now his prisoner/hostage. Creeeeeepy! I laughed out loud with Liv told Mellie that she told Fitz everything. Ha! Mellie thought she had something over Liv… think again! I hate to see Cyrus against Liv right now… there is some subtlety to it, but I liked them better when they worked as a team. Now I feel like it’s Cyrus vs. Liv in a competition for who Fitz loves and trusts more. I don’t like David and Liz together… I’m glad to see Abby finally stepping up and acting more like Liv. Still love seeing the new Gladiator’s team working together! Love this show!