Cruella de Vil Once Upon a Time

TVLine Items: Cruella's Once Return, Chicago Med's New Recruit and More

A certain Queen of Darkness is hoping to take back her Once Upon a Time throne.

Victoria Smurfit, who played Cruella de Vil on the ABC drama’s fourth season, is set to reprise her role as the animal-controlling witch.

Smurfit will not appear in the series’ upcoming 100th episode — which will welcome back such familiar faces as Robbie Kay (as Peter Pan) and Giancarlo Esposito (as the Magic Mirror) — but will pop up in multiple Season 5B episodes.

No word yet on how exactly Cruella will return… considering she died at Emma’s hands in Season 4.

Ready for more of today’s newsy nuggets? Well…

* Peter Mark Kendall (The Americans) will recur on Chicago Med, NBC’s upcoming Chicago Fire offshoot. Per Deadline, he will play Joey, a nerdy-yet-cute lab tech (and potential love interest to one of the show’s central characters) who has a sharp, sarcastic sense of humor.

* MTV has renewed its matchmaking reality series Are You the One? for a fourth season.

* Whitney Cummings: I’m Your Girlfriend — the comedienne’s first HBO stand-up special — will debut Saturday, Jan. 23, at 10/9c.

1. Win says:

The Cruella backstory episode was in my trinity of favorites last season. I look forward to seeing Victoria Smurfit back.

• Sam says:

They changed it too much, as they did with Ursula. Both actresses gave an A+ performance, but the way too inventive backstories make it seem as though they are not the characters we know and love, which takes away some of the fun of seeing them play together.

2. Dean says:

Cora, Pan and now Cruella. It really is night of the living dead disney villains.

3. Tom says:

So this basically confirms they’re going to Hell.

• I’m guessing that Emma will be banished there, “dying” to free herself of her “Dark One” status, stuck with all the enemies she’s defeated while trying to prove she doesn’t deserve to be there.

• Tom says:

And while there she gets trained by Hercules to become a hero as he is held captive by Hades. I would watch the s#@! out of that show.

4. t.w.123 says:

That puts the nail in the coffin for me (pun not intended)- every returning guest star that’s being brought back for 5B is already canonically dead. Why not just hang a banner that says “Welcome to the Underworld”, OUAT? At this point it would be less obvious.

• Azerty says:

If they do go to Hell, which I agree seems very obvious right now, I would be very disappointed if they don’t take the chance to bring back Neal for at least one episode.

• grazelled says:

The assumption is that he didn’t go there and I don’t think people want to see Neal there.

• Dean says:

unless the underworld in OUAT is a collective and everyone good bad and ugly goes there.

• westwingwolf says:

Yes! I’d like to see the mythological ideal of the underworld. Where all the dead go whether good or bad. And not the Disneyfied version of Hades where he is purposefully evil, but a Hades who is supposed to do his job as ruler of the underworld. Neither good nor bad. Just neutral or as a balance. I think it would be good for OUAT to showcase a truly neutral figure. Not an evil one with good qualities or a good one with bad qualities. Just straight up “I have a job to do and I’m going to do it. Sorry if you don’t like it, but this is what I have to do.”

• Eran says:

It wouldn’t be this obvious if we weren’t all here reading spoilers lol

• Dean says:

Sydney Glass is back and he’s not dead at least last we saw.

5. abz says:

OMG yes. She was my favorite part of the Queens of Darkness storyline and so was her backstory. Can’t wait for 5B. I just wanna skip all of 5A and Camelot and just get there.