The Flash Recap: We Brought a Zoom

We just watched the most harrowing — and quite possibly the best — episode of The Flash Season 2.

The old adage goes that a hero is only as good as his villain, and in Zoom, this bright and bubbly superhero series has found a real piece of work, a speedster as cocky as he is ugly.

What Zoom ultimately does to our Flash, and that it was somewhat brought upon ourselves, is the great gut punch here, injecting Arrow‘s lighter, brighter cousin with a heavy dose of darkness.

To recap:

Learning that Dr. Light was to defeat The Flash and then lob his emblem into the portal as a signal for Zoom to cross over, the team gets the idea to have Linda Park pose as the Earth-two metahuman, get into a faux fracas with Flash and then summon Zoom. This cues up perhaps the episode’s one weak spot, a “wacky” montage where Linda couldn’t get the hang of her light-zappers. (The segment simply went on too long, to a degree that it read as filler.)

Fact is, Linda was not at all ready to pull off this masquerade, but Barry insisted they forge ahead — a questionable call that Joe is sure to grill him about. Joe suggests that what’s at play here is Barry feeling “cheated” out of not besting Reverse Flash himself, so he’s taking that out on Zoom. Barry deflects, for now, then proceeds with the fake fight — which is goofy in a more entertaining way than the montage was, but ultimately for naught. Because even after “Dr. Light” “defeats” Flash and throws his emblem into the portal, Zoom is a no-show.

Afterward, Barry admits to Joe that he was half-right, that he was not so much projecting onto Zoom but taking out some frustration based on what our Wells/Eobard said in his posthumous video, that Barry will never be happy. Joe begs Barry to not let Wells “win” by allowing that notion to seep into his noggin, and to instead go after what makes him happy. And right now, that is Patty in her crisp white blouse and waiting-for-a-reminder-of-how-good-that-first-kiss-was lips.

And then things got very unhappy for Barry.

Zoom shows up at CCPN to grab Linda and then dangle her from the STAR Labs roof, forcing Barry to race down and save/catch her. Flash and Zoom (hey, I just realized they are both photography terms) then get into it, with Barry aiming to “thunderbolt” the baddie. But Zoom catches and then throws back the bolt! “Harry” arrives on the scene to shoot Zoom with a speed-dampening dart, but Zoom catches it and then jabs it onto Barry, whose back he seemingly had just broken, Bane-style.

And then Zoom got really deplorable, parading the fractured Flash all around town — in front of cameras at CCPN, before the cops at the CCPD (as he caught dozens of their bullets), and then in the faces of Team Flash themselves. “You made a mistake — a costly one,” Zoom growls at Wells, before thrusting one of his talons into Barry’s side. Cisco, God bless him, pings Zoom with a serum dart, forcing him to speed away. But Barry is very much down for the count.

At episode’s end, Barry awakens in his STAR Labs hospital bed some time later, but near-instantly comes to a tragic realization — that he cannot feel his legs.

Elsewhere in the episode:

* It took a couple of tries, but Cisco was able to “vibe” off of “Harry,” seeing that Zoom was keeping the scientist’s daughter, Jesse Quick, prisoner on Earth-Two. The news that Jesse is alive came as a relief to Wells, later.

* One of Wells’ flashbacks revealed that on Earth-Two, Robert Queen went on to become Starling City’s Hood aka Arrow, after his son Oliver died in the boat tragedy.

* In giving Linda a needed pep talk, The Flash revealed his identity to her. (“I made out with The Flash?!”) Iris and Linda later then bonded over the weight of keeping big secrets and the whole Dr. Light masquerade.

* If Zoom didn’t arrive via the portal where Barry and Linda staged the fight, how did he get here…?

* Similarly but of far less urgency: Where is the naked and escaped real Dr. Light?

* Hey, Jay Garrick! Way to sit this one out, pal.

What did you think of “Enter Zoom”?

1. Johnny says:

That was intense! Zoom is a solid villain and definitely fitting of the “Speed Demon” name.

• While Zoom is definitely already making a good impression on me, this episode wasn’t really any more intense than any of Barry’s other speedster fights!

• Brigid says:

I completely disagree with you. That was the worst fight Barry has ever had. No one has damaged him like that. He looked so weak and near death…..even broken. He carried him around like a rag doll and Barry could do nothing to hurt Zoom. Barry has always been able to at least get a few licks in on all of his antagonists, but not last night. That was an intense scene.

2. Lysh says:

Zoom dragging Barry around like on parade was so intense and scary. They really brought it with the villain this season. The Linda stuff was kinda funny though, it reminded me of Men In Black a little. Very balanced, awesome episode.

3. abz says:

Those last ten minutes were insane. So good. That scene where Zoom caught that lighting bolt was awesome.
    Loved the dialogue in the fake battle scene with Barry and Linda. Too funny.
    How did they just bring Linda into the warehouse with Wells 2.0 there? Wouldn’t she think he was dead? They didn’t show her reacting to it at all.

• M says:

They had to have explained everything to her by then, otherwise her Earth 2 double would still be confusing to her, as would everything relating to Zoom and the portals. So a quick explanation that Well was Earth 2 Wells probably happened off-screen.

4. Cobra says:

Just…wow.
    What. An. Episode.
    I can’t wait until next week.

5. Drew says:

That episode was intense. The light moments were great and funny. Then they took a sharp turn toward the end, and the Zoom attack was really scary. Seeing Zoom drag Barry around the city, visiting all of the people who care about him was harsh. One of the best of the series, if not the best.
    I’m glad that they’re keeping Linda around. It is standard practice for tv writers to have former love interests just disappear, even when it isn’t necessary. It’s cool that they didn’t do that here. And I like Linda as Dr. Light. Her costume is cooler than Diggle’s.
    So now we know that Oliver’s father is the Arrow of Earth 2. Now could we please, please, please get Tommy as the Dark Archer? I said please!

• Drew says:

PS – I the last part of my post sounds a little more chipper than my usual self, it’s probably because I am a little too caffeinated at the moment.

• Dave says:

In the comic Lina is a main character and is the wife of the 2nd flash wally west (whom i think will be appearing as well later this year)

• Drew says:

Yeah, Wally was always my Flash, since I started reading after Barry died. I wasn’t sure how they would handle Linda after they put her with Barry. It created an awkward story element. I’m glad that they kept her around.
          Still not sure about this Wally though. I guess we shall see.

• I think Tommy being the Dark Archer would be too obvious but I wouldn’t mind seeing Moira being the Earth 2 Dark Archer!

• dan says:

I love Linda. I hope she becomes this earth’s Dr. Light.

• So far no one from Earth 1 has appeared (with powers) from Earth 2. The only people who have appeared from Earth 2 with powers have been people who have not had powered on Earth 1. I somehow think that the worlds are tied together in that way. People who gained powers from the explosion on Earth 1 did not on Earth 2 and vice versa on Earth 2.

I think this is how they will get away with Caitlin Snow becoming the villain Killer Frost. She will not have powers on Earth 1, but she will be the villain with powers on Earth 2.

6. Brad says:

Epic ending WOW zoom was brutal

7. GGarl says:

And next week, Grodddd!!!!

8. Riana says:

Now I want to know which Linda is gonna be with Wally.

9. Dave says:

that was intense. I was freaked out by that fight

10. Besides Zoom’s victory lap, nothing in this episode really surprised as it served as set up for Wally West’s introduction!

11. Steve says:

Oh man i feel sorry for barry. Waking up paralysed? Wait a minute! Cisco shot zoom too right, so he too is affected somehow. I love the fact zoom isnt a villain you can beat so easily like reverse flash

12. I’ve been hoping that E2 Henry Allen was Zoom. One, It would give Shipp room to stretch, and two, it would justify E1 Henry’s abrupt departure. After all, keeping Henry out of sight would up the shock value down the road. I *may* get my wish. Elsewhere, another viewer brought up the fact that E2’s Papa Arrow could point to Zoom being Papa Flash.

• Oooo…I didn’t even think about that! That would definitely up the ante this season and make it that much more dramatic!

• Ann says:

I think Eddie Thawn is Zoom. At least…he is in the comic books, I think. I think having Eddie as Zoom would make for good dramatics. The only problem is that the actor who played Eddie is now on Quantico…so I’m not sure if the producers would be able to get him back to play Zoom.

• herman1959 says:

There was a previous post that his character on Quantico is now gone. Can we confirm that? If it’s true, maybe we can get him back on The Flash.

• Patrick says:

Why couldn’t alternate Barry be Zoom? That would be a helluva twist.

• Luis Gomez says:

Eddie Thawne is not Zoom in the comics. Hunter Zolomon is. Eddie is actually never in the comics, it’s a character they made for the show. The closest resemblance he bares is to Cobalt Blue, or Malcolm Thawne. But yea, odds of him being Zoom are pretty slim, not only because of his starring in the other show, but the timing doesn’t add up.

• Yes, the actor’s character on Quanitco was just kicked out of the academy this last week.

13. herman1959 says:

OMG, I literally can not wait until next week. Now we know why Barry will need to call in Oliver and the others…crossover time, y’all!

14. Rick Katze says:

Now that Linda knows, how long before Barry’s new girl friend is brought into the secret? And am I the only one who has a bad feeling about the barista that Cisco likes?

15. JIMMY says:

Ok so Barry need to learn how to fight……….. i really think this where they can slow his speed and teach him… since he is a fast learner …lol.. but the real question is who,,….. NIGHTWING (fanboy me)

• sladewilson says:

^^^^This. Especially since we already know they can’t use Batman. But can you imagine if Ollie’s old friend from Gotham, Richard came to help Barry learn how to fight? Yeah, the fanboy in me would absolutely geek out at that one….

16. Wow!!!!!! That was definitely one of the best episodes in recent memory!
    While it was so scary seeing Barry get pummeled so badly, I am looking forward to seeing more of Zoom! What a formidable bad guy. Can’t wait to find out who he is!

17. Jimmy says:

What a great episode. I was actually a little bored and then Zoom showed up and all hell broke loose. Watching him bring Barry low was unexpected, especially since Barry went into it thinking he could actually win. It will be interesting to see how this impacts Barry going forward.

• Patrick says:

This is, to me, rather common amongst Arrow and Flash. The first 45 minutes of the show is OK, but the last few minutes are fantastic. Given the constraints vis a vis budget and time, I’ve come to accept this as a reality we have to live with.

18. Alichat says:

I was thinking Dr Light would be the one to get the serum into Zoom…..being invisible and all. I thought we’d find out that she’d come back, overheard the plan, and was there when Zoom came to show off broken Flash.

And exactly how many people is Barry planning to do the big reveal with? Was it really necessary to let Linda know he’s the Flash?

19. herman1959 says:

Wait, no one else is going to comment on the fact that a person can be dead in one alternate universe and alive in another? This is too deep!

20. James D says:

great episode. I’ve loved Tom’s work on this show from the start but this Wells version is so much more interesting than the possessed version of Earth prime. I really hope Chantalle stays on the show I’m really enjoying Patty. I was super stoked to hear they introduced Jesse Chambers (or a version of her) into this universe I always enjoyed her from the comics. as for Zoom I like what they’re doing with him he’s a good counter for the chipper Barry. and I’m just going to say it Jay Garrick is kind of a dick, way to leave the kid hanging dude jeez.

21. Lily says:

It was a good one! I like Zoom, I liked the action, I liked Linda. I HATE Patty Spivot- she needs to get tossed off a bridge. The most unnecessary character and pointless story in an otherwise good season. Why does she get stupid scenes with her and Joe while Iris is continually sidelined? Her and Linda are actually good together- I think they ought to keep that dynamic, especially since it’s from the comics and everything.

• Patrick says:

I love Patty. She has way more romantic chemistry with Barry than does Iris. Iris and Barry have the best platonic chemistry that I’ve seen between two members of the opposite sex in a while. But watching them kiss will be like watching two cousins, who have known each other their whole lives, and been great friends that entire time, try to mack on each other. It will be WIERD. Plus, Shantal is drop dead gorgeous, and I’m never bummed about having her on screen.

• tvjunkie says:

Linda is rather pointless. She never had chemistry with Barry and was rather pointless until this Dr Light business and even with that she’s kid of fumbled, like the amateur actor on the show. Contrast that with Patty who already has great chemistry with Barry, much more so than Iris romantically so far. Her character hasn’t been given a lot to do yet, but she seems to have brought out something in Barry.

• sassyzanne says:

I hate Patty too. I don’t like the actress playing her either. She ruined One Tree Hill and now she will ruin The Flash. I live Linda though.

• sassyzanne says:

I hate Patty too. Such a clingy, needy character. I don’t like the actress playing her. She ruined One Tree Hill and she will ruin The Flash too. I love Linda though. More of her, please.

22. Michael says:

Zoom’s voice reminds me more of the actor who played Candyman or Warf’s brother on Star Trek – TNG.

23. Phoenix5634 says:

Awesome episode! Zoom was insane! When he caught the lightening Barry tossed at him, haha bet Barry wasn’t expecting that to happen, nice advice again Jay lol. I can’t wait for next week episode!

Cisco should see if he can get Reverse Flashes wheelchair going again, super charge Barry’s speed for next time.

24. Kate says:

Excellent episode. Zoom is a scary beast! Enjoyed how the balanced the tension with comedy and romance. I’m enjoying Barry with Patty and I like how they stress that they are still getting to know each other.

• giantpegasus says:

The smartest thing they have done this season is start off calling zoom a “villain” and planting that seed because when you find out he isn’t. Which to me is obvious… He’s only made Barry more prepared, stronger, and motivated to continue improving. He could have killed him 10 times over. It’s so obvious, but because they planted that seed no one thinks beyond the surface to the motivations.

25. Nichole says:

Gave this episode an “Awesome”, as much for the special effects and action sequences then anything else. After watching Agent X premier and it’s sub-par effects, it really makes you wonder at how shows are budgeted when a CW show can do 100 times better in 1 episode (really in just 5mins) then a cable show did in two!!

26. Phoenix5634 says:

I’m pretty sure Zoom is a Black Flash. Possibly Earth-2, Eddie Thawne. When our Eddie killed himself to kill the Reverse Flash last season finale, I think it caused something to happen, like a singularity involving all their speed forces, when Eddie killed himself it eliminated an entire family line of to-be speedsters ( assuming that Reverse Flashes powers were passed down in family ) I’m wondering if their speed forces weren’t released when they died, and then accidently pulled through whatever experiment Harry Wells was working on that Jay told us. There has to be consequences for erasing someone from existence. Anyway tho Zoom’s a black flash, I’m pretty sure Eddie Thawne. He tried to finish Barry off in the location his speed force came from, plus Zoom’s hands and face.

27. Pat says:

Oh my gosh, what Zoom did to Barry was truly hard to watch. What was even worse was watching Zoom zip from place to place with Barry in tow, dangling from his hand looking like a rag doll. I was crushed by the sight of this. I am one of those people who sometimes jumps to the end of the book to learn that things will turn out just fine so will someone just tell me that this Zoom character will be defeated. I have never read the comics and I assume he is in them?

• Luis Gomez says:

In the comics, Zoom ends up apologizing for what he’s done and leaves. But that Zoom, Hunter Zolomon, rationalized everything he did by saying he was making the Flash a better hero. This Zoom in the TV series, is a much different beast. But if it makes you feel better, I’m sure everything will be fine :)

28. Ashbash says:

Has anyone else notice that Zoom’s costume is the same costume that Barry wears only black and mutated looking? Now this is purely just my own speculation after watching this episode I have strong suspicions that Zoom is going to be revealed as Earth 2 Barry Allen or original future Earth 1 Barry who disappeared in 2024. So far we know that Oliver Queen is dead on Earth 2 but there has been no mention of Earth 2 Barry Allen which makes me think a big twist like him being revealed as a villain is going to be revealed. On the other hand the pilot episode of The Flash revealed that in the original timeline Barry Allen/The Flash disappeared in 2024 during the events of the Infinite Crisis and yet none of the others characters know about this, it has never been brought back up, and there was the mention of how Wells told Barry how he knows his future. In the comics when Barry disappeared he went 1,000 years into the future but what if on the show future Barry disappeared and ended up on Earth 2 mutated and driven insane by his experience and took up the mantle of Professor Zoom.

• Luis Gomez says:

Zoom’s build makes that theory implausible.

• Lola says:

I like that! Also, it makes us think about Barry’s humanity: this season shows him struggling with things, and Dr. Wells saying that he will never be happy- maybe him turning into this in the future is meant to reflect on him becoming a different person now and the slippery slope into not being human…

• Phoenix5634 says:

There has also been no mention of Eddie Thawne on Earth-2, and without him Reverse Flash never comes to be. So could it be possible that the speed force from the Thawne on our Earth got transferred to the Thawne on Earth-2 since he was killed so close to the breach between world? And might that explain his extreme speed, even for a speedster?

29. I’m surprised that no one commented that in Earth 2 Robert Queen is actually the arrow. Did I hear that right?

• herman1959 says:

Yes, see my comment above – no comments on the fact that a person can be dead in one alternate universe and alive in the same one – it was about Robert Queen.

• Gail says:

Yes I want Oliver’s dad to come to Earth 1. The two Arrows would be so cool. Of course similar to the comics Flashpoint story with Batman and his dad but Arrow is always similar to Batman. Oliver’s Earth 2 dad could even be the person who died in the Flash forward.

30. “If Zoom didn’t arrive via the portal where Barry and Linda staged the fight, how did he get here…?” There are 52 portals in Central City. He just came through a different one

• Phoenix5634 says:

Yeah that, or Zoom came through so fast no one saw him, I think Wells rewatching the recording afterwards is a clue at that. Zoom clearly saw the whole staged Flashs’ death go down, or he turned back time to watch it happen. He wouldn’t have went straight for our earth’s Linda if he didn’t see it all happen. If he simply found the chest-piece and came through a different portal later, he wouldn’t have known our Linda was involved in baiting him. So Zoom was watching the whole time, or turned back time to see it happen when he came through.

31. silveraynea says:

I really want Zoom to Earth-2 Barry Allen. It would be interesting to see how Barry could be different without Joe and Wells to steer him towards good. My husband is convinced that Zoom is now Joe after last nights episode. He felt Robert Queen was a clue. He thinks it would be way more interesting for Barry to face betrayal of a mentor/father figure again.

32. robandco says:

Amazing episode. Zoom is very creepy. I hope this means Patty will soon learn the truth about Barry.

33. Joey Padron says:

New episode was good and intense. Zoom is a powerful villain. Sucks when happened to Barry at the end. Not good Grodd is gonna cause trouble again in next week’s episode.

34. Amanda says:

Such a great episode!!! Zoom is terrifying. Really excited to see what happens next with Grodd and now that Barry can’t use his legs. I’m sure they’ll figure out something soon as he looks fine in that pic of the “Arrow/Legends” crossover. Hopefully Jay’s back next week, as he’ll be back soon, and they figure out they can share the speedforce, which has been hinted. I can see the intro for Wally West now too and I’ve been thinking it’s going to at least take all three of them, and now hopefully Jesse Quick too since she’s a speedster and Wells’ daughter. Liked finding out that Oliver’s dad is alive on Earth 2 while Oliver’s dead. Proves that characters can be alive in one and not the other. I think Jay’s Earth 1 version was a solider during WWII and his spy code name was Mercury, so I think he founded Mercury Labs where Tina McGee works. Would also mean Jay passed away years ago on Earth 1, which is why no one has recognized him so far. And would also mean that Ronnie could be alive on Earth 2 as well as Eddie, Tommy from “Arrow”, and anyone else who died on Earth 1.

• herman1959 says:

Yes, this opens up a huge world of story opportunities which is good because there will be 3 shows to write for come January.

35. Dj says:

This went way better then I thought it would. Barry getting beat down was no surprise, but Linda not getting killed was. But I am glad that Barry told her his secret and that she wasn’t fridged. I do hope Wells part changes how the Flash gang treats him.

36. Diane says:

I loved everything about the episode. It was great to see Barry’s ass get handed to him for not being objective about his plan. Loved seeing him with Patty and hope to see the relationship deepen. Nice scenes with Linda and the team. It was funny and intense. Another A+ episode.

37. shifu says:

I don’t think zoom is human now ….mean e2 wells said it..was human”….but everybody will agree that he is something from straight out of hell

• John NYC says:

Though from the closeups it seems clear he IS wearing a suit, there’s an obvious gap around the eyes for instance that has to be deliberate.

38. HelloJack says:

Loved this episode except for Patty. She’s the most forced character ever.

39. Flashrow says:

Those Coast City references are killing us :P

40. Datya says:

A bunch of thoughts and observations:
    Dr. Light became invisible like Patty said, and I’m sure she quickly found clothes.
    There are more than 50 portals, Zoom just chose a different one.
    Why didn’t Zoom “steal” Barry’s speed (Barry obviously still has it because Caitlyn said he healed quickly-ish)?
    How could Cisco vibe on something Wells has never sern or experienced (Jessie alive with Zoom)??
    The action scenes with Flash and Zoom were AMAZING (catching the lightning bolt, free falling fight)!
    Zoom dangling Barry around like a broken ragdoll was the darkest thing this show has ever done, and was really hard to watch…
    One last thing – did Zoom remind anyone else of the Orcs from Lord of the Rings?!?

• Vexra says:

Cisco doesn’t see a things history just something connected to the thing like how he got lights current location from her formerly abandoned mask. Given that Wells was probably focusing Solely on his Daughter and she was a Direct blood relative was probably more than enough of a link for him to connect through. I’m thinking that Zoom either has a similar power or is terrorizing a Lackey with it and that’s how he “sees” through the portals and new the Flashes Symbol was a trap

• Daty says:

Cisco saw something that Light was actually experiencing, so it still doesn’t fit.
        The only way I could understand it is if Cisco touched something that Wells had that actually belonged to Jessie…

41. Mal says:

I know Barry will get better sooner or later, since you can’t really have the Flash not being able to run on his own show for long, and you see him standing on the previews for Legends of Tomorrow and such, but I’m wondering if it will immediately be treated like a temporary condition (super-fast healing and all that), or if he will think he’s crippled for life. Either way, I really want his dad to come back to town to be with him during this time, and according to a Canadian preview for next week, he does.

42. Phoenix5634 says:

Imagine if Zoom, King Shark, and Grood all teamed up together, they’d be like unstoppable

43. Phoenix5634 says:

I could see Grood possibly switching sides tho, or atleast being talked down, he likes Wells, thinks he’s his father or something. Our new Earth-2 Wells could reason with Grood, maybe even turn him to our side to help with Zoom?

44. Phoenix5634 says:

Cisco should get Wells/Reverse Flashes’s wheelchair working again while Barry’s legs are healing, charge up Barry’s speed-force more. Also I’m surprised no one has mentioned Zoom is most likely a Black Flash, Cisco basically called it out when he said “his demonic hands…”. But that isn’t the main reason I think Zoom is a Black Flash… it’s that he didn’t appear until after a speedster died in our time…. And he waited to attempt to finish off(kill) Barry until being at STAR labs, where Barry’s speed force came from ( which is what a Black Flash does)… And that Zoom’s attitude to be the only speedster in existence… It all points roughly to a Black Flash, but it’s hard to say for sure because of the loose translation between the show and comics. But he’s definitely closer to being a Black Flash than anything else I can find.

45. Phoenix5634 says:

The more I theorize the more I’m starting to think earth-2 Harry Wells is going to convince Grodd to fight Zoom. Grodd is like the one meta that could catch Zoom off guard with his psychic abilities, and we know he can beat a speedster because Barry stood like no chance against him last season. And the best part is, Grodd sees Wells as his father figure, so new Harry Wells could use Grodd like he used Barry, to help fight against Zoom. I bet it takes Barry, Jay and Grodd to beat Zoom, because even with the upcoming crossover episode I expect them to fail miserably against Zoom as well.

46. Vexra says:

Just want to float a theory out here. Is there any chance that zoom either has or utilizes someone who has Cisco’s Vibe powers? It would go some way to knowing about Flashes Pre-singularity history and why he didn’t come through after the emblem. If he read it then he’d be all too aware that there was a trap on the other side of the rift. Anyone else certain that whoever is under that mask is going to look really familiar? My hopes are for an evil Barry

47. Phoenix5634 says:

lol I find it funny how many of you people think Zoom is going to be an earth-2 evil Barry, like could you be any less creative… And especially after this latest episode, because Zoom’s build is all wrong to be Barry. Plus imagine how bad that fight will look when/ if Zoom ever takes the mask off if their both Barry lol… If Zoom can even take his mask off, it almost looks it’s almost part of his face in some areas.

• Lola says:

Yeah, but remember Felicity, season 1 asking about the effects of time travel on Barry’s body? Who’s to say that time travel and all the things that Barry can do won’t distort his body? And in a world where time travel is a possibility, why not distortion?Not really lacking creativity so much as trying to find a special significance / “the twist” / the key to destroying Zoom

• Lola says:

Sorry, Felicity asked about speed, not time travel

• Phoenix5634 says:

What Felicity said is true, at extreme speeds it would have negetive affects on his body, for example, nearing light speed the matter that makes up his body would be transformed to light energy, basically a lightening bolt, and he probably couldn’t switch back… But still, if Zoom was earth-2 Barry, where did he get demonic hands and broader shoulders from lol?… then where did his extreme speed come from? Zoom was already way faster than a regular speedster when him and Jay were fighting, so whatever the Origin of Zoom’s powers are they’re likely alittle different from how the Flash got his powers.

• Phoenix5634 says:

I can’t get over the fact that Zoom appeared basically right after Reverse Flash was killed. See my theory is that the Speed Force cannot be killed, so when Thawne’s body was destroyed so close to the singularity, that his Speed Force was released into the portal and attached itself to Thawne’s closest ancestor on Earth-2, likely Eddie Thawne, as his family line was erased on Earth-1. It’s like everything has a balance, like when you mess with time travel there’s consequences.. And they messed with a lot more than just time in the season 1 finale. And there’s not much online about Black Flash, but what I’ve found seems pretty similar to Zoom and what he’s been doing.

• Lola says:

Yeah, except Zoom existed before the events of the season finale:Jay Garrick was fighting Zoom when he lost the helmet, and Zoom kidnapped Jessie Quick(?) presumably before Jay got sucked into the singularity (Jay was too late to save Jessie when she was kidnapped by Zoom).

• Phoenix5634 says:

a Black Flash for why I can tell is basically a grim reaper for the speed force, since the speed force itself is essentially immortal because a energy force that is able to move faster the time in essentially immortal, the Black Flash is nature’s balance by creating a opposite force to restore balance. Zoom could be that balance, did you notice how he didn’t try to kill Barry until he was returned to he origin of his powers, STAR labs, Cisco intervened tho stopping Zoom.

• Dj says:

I thought Zoom just wanted to kill Barry in front of Wells since Harry was trying to use Barry to stop him.

48. Phoenix5634 says:

DJ, There’s definitely a greater purpose to Zoom’s actions, I don’t read the comics, I only research, it’s no consequence that Zoom waited to kill Barry at STAR labs where his powers originated, it’s no consequence that Zoom brought Barry back to STAR labs to kill him, the only reason Barry isn’t dead is because of Cisco shooting Zoom with the speed dampening shot ( which will probly just end of biting them in the butt becuz it will probably just slow Zoom down enough that he’s stuck in Earth-1 for abit lol)

49. Phoenix5634 says:

Zoom is definitely either a Thawne, Malcolm Allen, or Wally West. Any of you who think Zoom is a evil Earth-2 Barry are small minded and very “in the box” thinkers…

• Phoenix5634 says:

I named them in order of likelihood, I think anyway

• Dj says:

I think it’s Eddie, because story wise it would have the most impact and hit the team the hardest knowing Zoom is him. Also it seems like people who don’t have powers on E1 have powers on E2.

• Lola says:

Really, small-minded and in the box? Sweetheart, that’s a bit much, isn’t it?

But I guess we’ll see, right? Maybe Thawne, but all the others: why mask him? Why hide his identity? There’s a shocker in there somewhere, and I think simply looking to the comics is small: this is a loose adaptation of the comics, and doesn’t have to include every character. And the impact would be much larger if it weren’t some obscure Flash reference (obscure since not everyone reads the comic) and someone we know.

• Phoenix5634 says:

I agree with you. The only part of the comics I’ve read are the parts I’ve found trying to find similar concepts to Zoom. I’ve been trying to find a similar reference to what zoom is, closest I’ve found is a black flash. I just really don’t think zoom is going to be a evil Barry from another earth. That wouldn’t be too creative to me, Most likely in my opinion zoom is a Thawne, or Henry Allen. But yes we will see haha that’s the beauty of it lol. And speaking to his identity, I think that’s been distorted by his extreme speeds.