Supergirl Superman Saves

Supergirl Recap: Somebody Save Me

This week on CBS’ Supergirl, Cat Grant got a super scoop, Kara realized that her heart isn’t indestructible and we learned that the Man of Steel is on Instant Messenger (and uses emoticons).

So, Cat got her coveted 1-on-1 with Supergirl, but the media magnate apparently didn’t get the #AskHerMore memo and soon enough segued into Qs about the hero’s plans to “start a family.” That last softball however prompted Supergirl to blurt out that Superman is her cousin, which quickly became Perd Hapley’s headline the next morning.

In between helping Cat plan a party for the release of a special CATCO Magazine issue with the Supergirl profile (let’s not talk about how it went to and came out of the presses within 48 hours), Kara dealt with Reactron aka  Ben Krull, a former nuclear plant employee who blames Superman for his wife’s death — and thus is out to hurt the Man of Steel’s own loved ones. Hank Henshaw forbids the DEO getting involved, since Reactron is no alien but born of man-made tech, so Kara goes it alone at first, with help from Winn, James and the new “secret lair” Winn set up in a vacant upstairs CatCo office.

Kara’s scariest moment, though, may have come not battling a nuclear-powered psycho but critiquing the first draft of her boss’ Supergirl profile, suggesting its tone is “a little nasty” and that the quotes, which she transcribed for Cat, were taken out of context. Cat though stands firm that Supergirl is like one of today’s mortal millennials, in that she will probably call her cousin when things don’t go her way.

When Reactron abducts tech titan Maxwell Lord for the purpose of helping fix his fritzing suit, Supergirl flies to the rescue, freeing Max but then getting into a one-sided scuffle with Krull. Kara is just about down for the count when a red-and-blue blur swoops into frame, scaring off Reactron. Later, when Kara chides James for summoning his superfriend, the photog counters, “I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t believe in you” — to which Kara growls, “Maybe you shouldn’t be here at all,” so he leaves.

After that tense exchange, Kara vents to Alex, noting of her original destiny, “I’m supposed to be the one saving [Kal-El], not the other way around.” But as Alex reassures, “Your story is just starting, and some day it will be you saving him.” Alex then comes through with a party dress (from “the DEO closet”?) for her sis, who’s late for the huge launch party.

There, Max (briefly) cuts a rug with Cat (in between conspicuously prodding about how she got in touch with Supergirl). Kara meanwhile juggles dances with Winn and then James, who apologies for earlier. “I call [Superman] when things get tough… when I get scared. And I was scared I was going to lose you,” he explains. The duo’s latest warm moment is interrupted by Reactron’s party-crashing. After slipping “into something more durable,” Kara gets word from Alex and Hank (who’s agreed to help out with the non-alien matter) that she can pluck out her foe’s power core if she first encases it in lead. So she melts down a nearby bust, dips her hand into the scalding goo and then uses it to power down Reactron and thus save James, who had offered up Superman’s BFF as a distraction.

Later, Alex nudges Kara to seek out James, having noticed that the photog makes her sister smile like no one else has. But just Supergirl-Clark-textas an ebullient Kara strides into her colleague’s office, she meets Lucy Lane aka Lois’ younger sister, who is apparently visiting from Metropolis to rekindle things with James. Returning to her desk, crestfallen, Kara is roused from her funk by an Instant Message ping — from “Clark.” She thanks her cuz for saving her life, to which he replies, “I talked to Jimmy. Won’t happen again :-)” Acknowledging her big win over Reactron, Clark notes, “Guess it was a job for Supergirl.” When she thanks him for the support, he writes back, “What else is family for?”

What did you think of the episode “Fight or Flight”?

1. Lysh says:

I like that dress…it doesn’t look bulletproof though. I wonder if they’re ever going to have Superman really on. It seems inevitable. There’s this potential love-square going on that I’m not sure I’m here for, but I’m still enjoying the show.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Gosh, you really think Winn has a chance…? Seems like such a red shirt in this “triangle.”

• dan says:

(Possible spoiler) Doesn’t his character in the comics later become a villain called Toyman? I know the series might deviate, but … seems like he has a broken heart on the way.

• Lysh says:

Probably not, but he has a Felicity Smoak vibe that makes me think he has a bit of a chance.

• I don’t know if you mean a red shirt as in he’ll likely be killed off, but can we start placing bets on who eventually kills Winn?
        Top 3 Candidates:
        1. Maxwell Lord (possibly after finding out about Lord’s plans to control Kara’s mind?)
        2. His father, Toyman
        3. Hank Henshaw
        Dig the new picture btw!

• tyranthraxus says:

Yeah, Kara seemed to naturally gravitate towards James/Jimmy. I guess they brought in Lucy Lane as the speedbump there being his ex wife and all? But really.. you could see them doing that from a mile off. I dont really get a sense of chemistry between Winn and Kara (although yeah its only episode 3). There is something.. there between Kara and James.

Im also very glad that the show isnt avoiding Superman. Superman can get to National City in a blink, so ignoring the fact he can isnt great for the show until it starts putting in reasons why he cant or wont just turn up. They could give him a sabbatical to the remnants of Krypton (akin to what they did in Superman Returns) , but him learning that Kara would prefer to work things out herself is certain a way of doing things.

Im still a little uncomfortable about how close Kara is working with the DEO though and with them having both her ship and her own Kryptonian tech.

• tyranthraxus says:

Id like if it went both ways though, you could certainly do an episode where Kara/Supergirl has to cover for Superman in Metropolis. Take her out of her element. Probably a season 2 or 3 episode though.

• tyranthraxus says:

Yeah he does. Im not sure what to make of Winn.

• ? says:

I have a really hard time believing his character is straight. Am I the only one? I can’t tell if it’s intentional misdirection or just the actor.

• liame says:

I think it’s just the actor, he has “Broadway” background.

• dancmh says:

You’re not alone. I thought he was perfectly cast for the “gay best friend” route until it turned in a crush kind of thing. That was at least one way they could have differentiated him from Felicity. Now he’s just a few blonde hair extensions and a pair of glasses from actually being her.

• There was a whole bunch of CBSness that I’m not really sure I’m here for either like her trying to find herself through conventional ways despite her being an alien!

• MyFairLady says:

OK I like the show but enough already with the esteem issues & the constant need for approval . Kara giving herself a pep talk or needing people to believe in her in every other scene is really getting exhausting. I’m not sure why she needs the approval of everyone around her…
      And was kara not the one preaching to James last week about no shame is asking for help but this week she bites his head off because he asked for Superman’s help! When Kara is not incessantly doubting herself she’s actually a fun character. Winn is the Felicity SMoak of this show, he’s such a breathe of fresh air. I will give the series two more episodes.

2. “the Man of Steel is on Instant Messenger (and uses emoticons).”
    Oy…

• Gaia says:

Um, this is a show set in the 21st century and the guy writes for a living. What exactly did you expect?

• His using messenger has nothing to do with when the show takes place.

• The producers are doing a slow burn reveal of who’ll play Superman, which they’ll do for as long as they can, either until sweeps or the season finale. Birds of Prey pulled the same stunt with Batman.

As for what I’d expect — where this set in the actual real world, he would have called her on the phone or stopped by to see her in person. He’s Superman, he could do that with his super speed and/or flight without wasting too much time traveling from one city to the other.

3. Lex Luthor’s name is Alexander. Kara’s sister’s name is Alex. Dammit, she’s the Luthor in this equation…

4. A. D. says:

Well here in the DC area it was only music…No dialogue for 25 minutes of the show…now have to catch it later…sucks!

• Pat says:

I too, live in the DC area and I could not believe just music no voices. I gave up ten minutes into it and will have to catch up on ON DEMAND. UGH!

5. madhatter360 says:

As cute as the IM conversation was (I literally let out a prolonged high pitched noise for the whole scene) it opens up so many questions for me. Do they talk regularly or did they just start after she became Supergirl? Either way why is this the first we’re hearing about them having chats? Or was today the first time they IM’d? Did Danver’s “family friend” Clark Kent help her land her job?
    And unrelated to this, but related to Winn freaking out when he found out that Clark Kent is Superman (another really cute scene), how well known is Clark Kent in this world? I realize they’re journalists so they’re more likely to recognize the name, but isn’t the point of a secret identity to be able to lay low? Should Clark Kent really have that much name recognition?

• madhatter360 says:

Also, if someone were to read Kara’s IM’s (which the IT department might do since she’s using a work computer) it’s pretty easy to figure out her secret.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Now that is a very good point. At least IM in Kryptonese!

• tyranthraxus says:

Also, isnt the US government now capable of recording messages sent via certain networks via their Electronic collection legislation? or Patriot Act?

Id love if Clarks secret is revealed because Kara left her computer on and the cleaning service went through turning stuff off and cleaning and saw the message.

• Z says:

I think IMing in Kryptonese would raise similar red flags.. the whole concept of them talking that way is rather silly.

• Ann says:

But Winn is the IT team. They mentioned that in an earlier episode.

• dan says:

Well, he was always a rival to Lois Lane, or at least a peer, and she is a supposedly famous reporter. It would seem he would have to have some sort of name recognition. But you’re right in that for secret identity purposes it would seem like he would need to lay low.

I think this world expects us to buy into the idea that a pair of glasses and awkward attitude are enough to fool the world, which it doesn’t really sell.

• hope says:

As to the Clark Kent fame, I think it has more to do with them both being in the same field. Cat came from the same publication as Clark and its a respected one. It probably was more a professional circle thing than outright noteriety on Clark’s part.

• Paloma says:

Yes he would. He writes for the Daiy Planet about Superman. The Daily Planet is the newspaper of record in this universe. So, yes, Clark Kent would have huge name recognition.

6. Stopping Reactron is something Superman could never do? WTF? Way to undermine him.

• tvjunkie says:

You’ve hated the show so much since long before it premiered so why are you still here? A normal person would have moved on by now.

7. BilliamJ says:

Love the shoutout to Homeland at the end, especially since Melissa appeared on it during the first season

8. laurelnev says:

This show is just fun! Glad to see the Superman thing addressed, and I LOVED the fact Kara took out one of Superman’s greatest foes. Maybe that will get her boss off of the snarky put down thing! Hope Lucy does away real quick though.

• tyranthraxus says:

I doubt it, the Dynamic of the Cat character is the Snark and the Boss/Employee dynamic. The closer she gets to her employees the more the Snark might disappear and the character gets more bland.

• laurelnev says:

Not talking about the Kara-Snark; talking about the Supergirl snark. SG deserves respect, and to be treated like a strong feminist icon. The Kara -snark is just a part of who Cat is and will never go away.

• tyranthraxus says:

I think its actually Snark directed by Cat at another female in a position of power. It doesnt matter if its Lois Lane, Lucy Lane, Wonder Woman, Supergirl , Kara whoever. Perhaps Cat feels challenged by any other successful female or any event /unknown quantity she cannot control. Its not like she is going to be physically intimidating.. so she goes with Snark.

Thats the only reasoning I have so far. I think Cat is going to be the kind of show female that gets on far better with males.. then she does with other females.

Yeah I am not sure what to make of Lucy. Smallville had the same issues with the character from memory.. I guess in this case they are throwing her into some sort of strange Love Triangle.. although I didnt pick up much chemistry between her and James either.

You are right though SG does deserve respect. The issue being that you already have a person with a big S on their chest and they have already gone through the no respect to respect run for humanity. Kara is never going to be able to run to the end goal the same way.

• Z says:

I dont know if that character has ever been considered one of Superman’s “greatest foes”

9. Mary says:

I love that Alex decided that she didn’t care what Henshaw said, she was still going to help her sister take on Reactron. I love the relationship between Alex and Kara.

10. Blah says:

Really fun episode. Great win for kara (cara?) especially IM ing superman at the end.

I just wish they’d remember that she has super speed in that toolkit. If she can move at close to 300mph to catch a plane, surely she could dodge some nuclear lazers and win a fistfight with a regular human without being touched.

11. Luli says:

Favorite part of the show is definitely the Alex and Kara relationship. The best scenes of the episode were the ones between them; and Win finding out that Clark Kent is superman.

It keeps getting better with each episode!

• M.D. says:

The sisters’ relationship is the strongest one on the show. Alex and Kara’s characters are each individually interesting, but their dynamic is even more so. The actresses sell it well. And I agree, those are my favorite scenes of each of these first three episodes.
      I also liked Win’s reaction to Clark Kent being Superman. Win’s friendship with Kara and his comic relief scenes are also entertaining to watch.

12. Q2 says:

Does anyone else find the Cat character irritating/annoying? And the actress who plays her to be way over the top?

And why was it such a big deal that Supergirl called Superman her cousin in the interview? Seemed like they made a mountain out of a molehill for the first 15 minutes of the episode.

• Q2 says:

Oh, had a another question or two.
      If Superman never beat Reactron, why did Reactron run off so quickly when Superman flew in especially when Reactron seemed quite powerful now because of the newly designed item.
      And speaking of the new item, why did that nuclear scientist guy tell the tv crews Superman saved him and later thank Kara for saving him twice in two days? Is it a status thing or some kind of badge of honor to tell stories of the time Superman saved you?

• tyranthraxus says:

I think its a Badge of Honor. We dont know what exactly Superman has done in this version of the DC universe, but hes certainly saved the planet a few times in many of them. National City while not the home of Superman would certainly be publishing daily ‘national’ news stories acquired from other new sources (ie what print media does now, effectively buy stories from a central source to publish)

• Z says:

It was a “big deal” because it was a scoop that Cat got for her magazine.. she was thrilled to scoop the planet on something to do with superman… until then their relationship was not publicly known.

13. Mr. Tran K says:

Another super great episode. My LOL moment was Cat Grant and Hank Henshaw making up jokes about Caitlyn Jenner and the Kardashians respectively. Lucy Lane’s arrival was another great moment as well but the biggest moment of them all in the episode was Clark Kent/Superman and I’m wondering if this could be a sign for a super cool storyline that should get the post Super Bowl time slot for the big game come February 7, 2016.

14. lame says:

Gotta hand it to the writers , they’re keeping it light, uncomplicated and devoting as much time to character development as they are to kicking ass. That in itself is refreshing .

15. Hmm, this was definitely the first chink in the show’s armor! And it was really a chink of the show’s own making by focusing so much on Superman (and Kara’s need for her cousin) which is an odd choice in of itself since he won’t be appearing on the show in the near future. Anyway, this episode just made Kara weaker by furthering her dependence on Superman.

• prish says:

Well, it might just come off as too harsh to be ignored by family, making it too much like real life, i.e. cavity work at the dentist. TV is a bubble world with bouncy buffers.

• I get that but I’m gonna play the nerd trump card here and say that Supergirl rarely sees her cousin in the comics, and that is only when some crazy stuff like Krypton returning happens!

16. ? says:

Random idea to solve the show’s Superman problem: what if they did the older, grey-haired version of him in this universe? No one would get him confused with the movie version then (not that anyone would anyway, but movie studio executive logic is stupid).

17. Okay who ever called Crenshaw being John Jones you may be right.

18. dancmh says:

The text message exchange was the best part of the entire episode. I had a brief moment of the feelz when Clark started IM’ing her. I hope that continues to be a thing….

• ninamags says:

I loved that moment as well!! Super excited for that. It was a good episode. They’ve now established her secret lair.

Did Cat say something about the “Millennium Falcon” or did I imagine that?? Funny, because she’s married to Han Solo. Hehe.

She’s just learning all this superhero stuff. Give her time and she won’t be needing her cousin. As long as they keep communicating.

19. Rafael says:

That reaction element is the strength of the villain, but becomes his weakness when Kara/Supergirl removes it automatically. Yeah, she looked strongly attractive in both jade emerald green (midway) and aqua turquoise blue (near the end) dresses.

20. Leia says:

Was that Molly Walker’s dress loll

21. Gerald says:

Q1. Did anyone else think when Kat said “It’s You!” it meant she recognized Kara immediately?
    Q2. I find Kara’s disguise somewhat believable when she has her hair pulled back in a ponytail, but last night she has it down in the office and it seemed like she wasn’t even trying to hide her identity. Should she not try harder at the disguise?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

ITA, with the hair down AND wearing a fitted, textured blue top. I mean, COME ON. They shouldn’t ever do that again.

• the girl says:

Personally, I hope that Cat knows already and she’s just pretending not to know since Kara didn’t directly tell her. I think it would be in character for Cat to decide that she was chosen (or had earned the right) to be a mentor to Supergirl and that she did Kara a favor by not firing her for her secret life. I would love that twist WAY better than sitting through the entire series pretending that I believe in Kara’s disguise.

• robandco says:

It makes a lot of sense. Her ginormous ego is the only possible and logical explanation as to why she would keep that secret. I love your idea!

22. robandco says:

I get the whole “it’s her journey, she’s making mistakes and will become stronger and stronger” thing, but wow that is bad.
    She literally can’t do anything by herself. She either needs the DEO or her cousin. Where is my strong and independent Supergirl? They should have made her fierce from the very beginning.
    I think the show shot itself in the foot when they allowed Superman to be such a big part of the show. I know Supergirl is spinoff of the Superman franchise but they should have waited.

23. Kevin says:

The show isn’t that interesting so far

24. Paloma says:

What, you’re not writing about how Hank’s eye blazed red (I think it was red?) and then he knew Alex was there in the office. So he’s not human. Is that important to note. If only to keep in mind for later.

• KatsMom says:

We saw his glowing red eyes at the end of last week’s episode. The only new detail was minor in that he knew of Alex’s presence.

• ? says:

Hank Henshaw is the name of the cyborg superman, a seriously bad-news superman villain. There really isn’t much mystery to his identity when they gave the character that name from the start, to superman fans it’s just the same as wondering if a character named “selina kyle” will turn out to be catwoman (spoilers: yes.).

25. M.D. says:

This episode was entertaining. Now that it’s been three episodes, this ep has solidified my feelings on a few of the characters.

I find Kat Grant’s character irritating. The acting is a little exaggerated, and her role is much too big, for such an annoying presence.

I also don’t like this Jimmy “James” Olsen. He’s trying to hard to be suave, but he’s just rude most of the time. James kept interrupting Winn, when Winn was trying to talk, in that new hideout. And then James cut into Kara and Winn’s dance, even though Kara seemed to be having a good time. Throughout the episode, James kept trying to act all know-it-all. He comes across as overbearing, and not all that charming. I like the chemistry Kara has with Winn, even if he’s just a friend.

I hope they get rid of James’ character soon. He served his purpose as the tie-in from Superman, and starting Supergirl’s journey, and showing that Kara has an open mind and is “pc” (ie, race blind) in regards to love interests. But he’s not that good a character, and it’s unnecessary to keep him around just to serve as Superman’s messenger.

So far, the only characters I find interesting enough to watch are Kara, Alex, and Winn. Most of the other characters are one-note, and for some reason, not all that pleasant to watch.
    I hope these character issues are addressed soon, otherwise I’ll find it too irritating to watch this show for much longer.

26. Neary15 says:

Enjoyed this episode a bit more than last week’s. The best parts were scenes between Kara/Supergirl and her friends/sister. The weakest link was Reactron, although I appreciated the writers at least trying to humanize him; and more importantly Kara trying to reason with him, instead of charging in fists swinging. It showed her compassionate side, which is one of her strengths. However, the fight scenes weren’t that great. Can’t wait until next week’s show.

27. coneyro says:

This show is still bugging me. Other than magic,(or Kryptonite) nothing hurts Kryptonians.. I don’t understand. Are they downplaying her abilities? She gets tired, and pants while fighting, a heat ray affects her(Superman used to fly into the sun)……Just not what I am used to. The writing is still childish, and Cat is VERY annoying. Still am angry about changing Jimmy’s entire persona. I’ll keep watching, and hope for the best.

28. coneyro says:

I know it’s obvious, but I’ll just say it. Kara stands next to her likeness and no one sees the resemblance? Her voice is recorded by Cat…Isn’t that dangerous? Text communication between the cousins revealing their identies? Please, let the adults write yhe scripts now..I’m getting a headache.