Chicago Fire, Chicago P.D. Score Really Early Renewals at NBC

NBC is on something of a premature renewal roll.

Mere hours after giving an early green light to a second season of freshman hit Blindspot, the Peacock network went and renewed both Chicago Fire and Chicago P.D. for Seasons 5 and 4, respectively.

NBC chairman Bob Greenblatt broke the news Monday night in Chicago at a party attended by the casts of Chicago Fire, Chicago P.D. and the soon-to-launch Chicago Med, as well as franchise overlord Dick Wolf.

They say renewals come in fours (humor me), so hit the comments and tell Mr. Greenblatt which series he should renew next!

1. Please let there be news of Grimm renewal soon!

2. Dean says:

And in other news the sun will rise tomorrow morning.

3. aph1976 says:

I’m happy about both shows getting season renewals.As for NBC, my guess is they want to let some show know about next season early and not leaving them hanging for months.

4. Steven says:

Knew it would happen, but great to get confirmation so early. Hoping Med does well enough for renewal too!

5. Sam says:

Any word on SVU? Season 18! Leggo Benson.

6. MyFairLady says:

Which shows are left to be renewed at NBC….
    The Blacklist – Certain Renewal
    Heroes Reborn – Toss Up
    TMoL – Toss up
    Grimm –
    SVU –
    Best Time Ever –
    Truth be told –
    Undateable – In danger of cancellation
    The Player –
    (Don’t watch the other shows)

• Sam says:

The Player and Truth Be Told both had their episode orders cut. They are effectively canceled.

• Linda says:

SVU : Ratings wise good but up to Mariska’s
      Heroes Reborn / The Mysteries Of Laura / Undateable : up to midseason shows scores
      Best Time Ever : positive

• JenJ says:

I don’t watch the Mysteries of Laura, but there is a bit of good news for the shows fans. The network ordered an additional 3 episodes for this season, after having initially only ordered 13.

• JC says:

That’s actually bad news. Fall shows that get a 13 episode order are hoping to get a back 9, not a back 3. Plus, NBC had ordered 5 additional scripts, but now they’re only going to use 3 of them.

• MyFairLady says:

Yeah I remember Debra M tweeting that the show was picked up for an extra 5 episodes so was surprised to see that it’s down to 3…hope the ratings remain steady

• Gerry says:

like show.

• Mike M says:

What will happen:

The Blacklist – Renewed already
      Heroes Reborn – Cancelled (Ltd Series & Kring already on to other things)
      TMoL – Renewed (NBC just ordered three more episodes)
      Grimm – Renewed
      SVU – Renewed
      Best Time Ever – Cancelled
      Truth be told – Cancelled – set has already been taken down!
      Undateable – Renewed
      The Player – Cancelled (most likely of any to poss be shopped / picked up by another net)

• Sally McLinn says:

The Player has it’s season cut short. We’re hoping NBC will change it’s mind.

7. ndixit says:

Here’s the real question. Can Chicago Med be renewed for a second season before the first ep even airs?

• Katie T says:

I don’t think it will be but I think it may get renewed after a few episodes. If it’s ratings are similar to PD and Fire for ep 2 or 3 then I think they’ll renew then and get it done

• Jennifer says:

I really like the way they’re already linking the three shows. I know most people don’t like crossovers, but these three shows seem to meld almost seamlessly. I also love that they are all ending at Molly’s. And even if not official “crossovers,” characters seem to pop up. Love it!

• Kristen says:

Now they just need a Chicago Law… we have the police, the firefighters, the hospital… why not add in the courtroom. It only makes sense! I’m not gonna lie, if done right, I would definitely watch it, and probably love it.

8. Susan says:

Hoping for some news about a Grimm renewal.

• JenJ says:

I’m also a huge Grimm fan. It’ really early since the show just returned, but I’m loving the current shows, and do hope it will be renewed again. There aren’t too many shows that can keep hanging in there on Friday nights like this one has.

9. Mr. Tran K says:

The Chicago franchise just keeps on rolling and we won’t wait until November 17th when Chicago Med debuts and it may join Fire and PD in the mix. Hope Blacklist gets renewed even though it’s doing well on Thursdays and it’s still the show I’m always hooked on since the beginning. Heroes Reborn won’t get another season in my opinion even if the rebooted series ends in a cliffhanger (To Be Continued…like).

10. Playhouse says:

Not a comment on the three shows at all, but NBC must really not be happy and/or confident with their pipeline if they’re handing out renewals this early.

• JenJ says:

I agree, Playhouse. I’ve never heard of the networks renewing their series this early in the season. But I’m also not complaining, either.

• Mike M says:

The truth is they just don’t have the volume of current shows that the pipeline actually comes into it. They could/do have numerous shows in development but when more than half of your current shows are rating under 1.5 in the key 18/49 demo, and you have two shows that have not been renewed that you know will both rate OVER 1.5, and you are looking to make some kind of renewal announcement other than just for the one new hit… this is what you do. Support the strongest shows soon as possible, then figure out the rest.

11. BM says:

I kinda like that early renewal philosophy. Would be nice if the renewals would come in throughout the season in general. (I would also assume it makes it easier for showrunners to plan – cliffhanger or not wise)

12. Sally McLinn says:

Chicago Fire has been solid for me. I love the cast and the stories — and it’s made in Chicago!

13. Jeff hunter says:

I’m happy that Fire got renewed but am hoping that the TITANS Pilot gets picked up with Steven r. McQueen as night wing,he’s only been a guest star on the show and has only been in a few scenes each episode that’s aired!jeff

14. Kathie says:

Love Chicago Fire! Refuse to watch PD as long as dirty cop, Voight, is in it. I don’t care how they’ve spun it to make him a good guy now. He was dirty in Fire that first season and did everything he could to discredit/hurt Matt. Then he cooerced Matt into going undercover last season, which almost got him killed.
    I hope Med is as hood as Fire.

• Hmm says:

I hear you wholeheartedly and felt the same in the beginning, but you really are missing out. There are some days I feel like CPD is much better than Fire (both are strong, solid shows and my two favs on air currently). I really recommend giving it a try. The characters, plot lines, direction and writing are all incredible. If I could only recommend one show out of all, I’d say this.

• Bwhit says:

I hear you on Voight, he has said he was wrong but I’m still not a big fan of his because of what he did to Matt. The reason I watch is for everyone else, Halstead, Lindsay, Ruzek,Dawson, Burgess and Olinsky make the show for me. Plus Platt just steals the show every time they put her on the screen. I’m just a big fan so I recommend it to anyone I can :). On the other hand as a huge Casey fan I respect your loyalty to the character.

15. Adrienne says:

I hope NBC gives us another abbreviated season (sort of, 10 eps 2x weekly is actually 20 eps – close to a regular season) of Undateable. That show is so silly and I love the format. What a perfect way to end a stressful week!

16. michelle says:

Please let there be more chichigo fire and chichigo pd i love these shows. I watch them every week plus i own the other seasons on dvd. Cant wait for chichgo med to see if it has good has chichigo pd and fire

17. Kay gialenios says:

Love, love love Chicago Fire and Chicago PD! I cried during the 11/2 episode of Chicago Fire! Unusual for me! Can’t wait for Chicago med! Keep them coming!!!!

18. Guy says:

How about a Hannibal resurrection? Sigh.

19. Jennifer says:

2 questions:
    1. Does this bode well for Chicago Med?
    2. Does this NOT bode well for SVU?

Seems like Mr. Wolf is moving more towards Chicago rather than NY. I’m hoping SVU can out live the mom and at least hit 21 seasons for the record.

• Bwhit says:

It seems to me that SVU has been woven nicely into the Chicago universe. There have been a few times on PD where one of them has mentioned talking to Benson about a case or having them be part of the crossover. I wasn’t a fan of SVU being involved in the first crossover but the one they did when Nadia was murdered changed my mind. As a fan I like the little nods to SVU on PD so I’d be disappointed if they cancelled.

20. Gerald says:

I enjoy both Fire and PD and it makes sense how they are integrating the Med cast, however, I am not sold on Med. It pales in comparison to other medical shows, and hate to say the acting of some of the leads does not instill me with much hope. Plus the Monday time slot is already quite crowded. I hope there are not too much crossovers that will force me to watch it.

• Jennifer says:

Gerald – Have you seen Med yet? So far, they’ve only had – sort of – the backdoor pilot and a lot has changed. And it’s not on on Monday’s – It starts on Tuesday, the 17th – after Fire.

• Kathie says:

In my EST zone Fire is on at 10PM and then the news comes on, so Med must not be on after Fire.

• Kathie says:

I just saw Med ad saying it was going to be on at 9, before Fire. Must
          be after The Voice is over.
          That’s opposite NCIS NO, but now I can DVR it or use On Demand.

• Jennifer says:

My bad kathie. I thought they were moving Fire to 9 to lead into Med at 10. Turns out, Med will be leading into Fire.

• bwhit says:

I’m just wondering something, have you seen the actual pilot? I am not trying to be rude but the only introduction we have had to Med as a whole is the bombing episode on Fire and a few characters popping up on PD/Fire, in my opinion that’s not enough to say it isn’t good (even the small introductions made me want more). I already like Will Halstead and Dr. Charles has been fantastic in counseling Lindsay and Brett, so I don’t agree that the leads aren’t strong. It is kind of unfair to compare it to other medical shows because it hasn’t had a chance to show what it is yet. The Chicago franchise hasn’t let this fan down so I’m all in for med which airs on Tuesday not Monday :) I guess what I’m saying is I repectfully disagree with your assessment.

21. Leonard Kagan says:

Law and Order SVU shouls be renewes for at least 2 more seasons and given chance for it to crack 20 seasons and pass the original Law and Orders 19 seasons

22. Roberta says:

Grimm and Undateable (love it live!). I’m so relieved that Chicago Fire and Chicago PD have been renewed and am looking forward to Chicago Med. Thanks for the reassurance.;

23. Kristen says:

Still haven’t gotten into Chicago PD, maybe I will one day, but so happy about Chicago Fire. I’m pretty sure Chicago Med will get a renewal as well once it airs. I was watching last week’s epi and made the comment, “Well now they just need a Chicago Law”! Lol

24. Jim J. says:

Does this mean “Chicago Med”‘s order will be extended to a full-season of 20-plus episodes or will its order stay at 13? I’m asking this because it would be odd for a network to give a new show that premiered in November or December a full-season order, which would need to air in the course of… over six months.

• Katie T says:

It may get a few more but I don’t see it getting a full season order. PD started with 15 episodes. Med obviously starts later than PD and Fire so a season of somewhere between the 13 it has now and possibly 15/16 if more are ordered would probably have Med season 1 finishing around the same time as this year’s PD and Fire

25. CBS better renew Blue Bloods, my Friday night fav. beside Hawaii 5-0

26. Darlene Simpson says:

Please do not cancel Chicago Fire and Chicago med! There is little to watch on tv.

27. Mike says:

All of the Chicago shows ie
    ( Fire,PD, And Med) are great shows and need to come back already!! Story lines are great entertainment to watch

28. Cherie says:

Get rid if the new girl with the Mickey Mouse ears! Sorry but worn all this surgery available get her ears pinned back or even better still..,let her wear her hair down. I’m sure she is well aware of the elephant ears. Are you making a point here? Not necessary. Makes little girls self conscience…they notice things like that..”.oh, no! Are my ears like that?”

29. derek peterson says:

I love the show chicago fire and chicago p.d so i think that they should have a season 5 of both shows.

30. Stacey Dehaven says:

Put Chicago med Chicago fire and Chicago pd all on one night Tuesday night and law and order svu on Wednesday night thanks you can call me anytime at. 717 330 4882 thanks for your time Stacey Dehaven