Hawaii Five-0 Steve New Romance

Hawaii Five-0 Recap: Hot, Hot Date

This Friday on CBS’ Hawaii Five-0, McGarrett threw himself back into the dating pool — and boy did he make a splash.

Steve was ambitious with his first date with nature enthusiast Lynn Downey (new recurring player Sarah Carter, Falling Skies), choosing an island exploration over, say, coffee. Alas, the nascent couple turned out not to be alone, having stumbled up the landing site for a prisoner transport plane that was reported as crashed four years ago, but in actuality safely landed.

Steve and Lynn were met by gunfire instantly upon uncovering the plane, and quickly made a run for their boat — only to see that Logan, the mobster who had years ago faked his death with the help of a bribed guard, had torched their ride home.

Upon seeing that Logan and his lady accomplice had transportation of their own, Steve created a distraction by firing a flare gun into their hut, while Lynn grabbed and dragged their boat. Logan caught up to Lynn and held her hostage to draw Steve out, but McGarrett feigned having zero concern for the woman he had just met. When Logan then went to escape the island, Steve got the drop on the goon and proceeded to take him back to Honolulu, where he was returned to prison.

After the whirlwind first date, a playful Lynn asked Steve what his “Plan B” was had Logan reacted differently after threatening her life — and Steve says he’ll tell her “next Saturday,” on their second, much quieter date.

What did you think of Lynn’s introduction and Sarah Carter’s hip cuts chemistry with Alex O’Loughlin?

1. Lee says:

It was a wonderful episode. Steve and Lynn had immediate chemistry even without that totally hot boat scene which I loved! Everyone I watch with loved what looks like a great start to their relationship!

2. Dawn D says:

Nope they tried this before. I’m a die hard Cat and Steve fan still.

• Stacy says:

No, they haven’t tried this before. They’ve brought in other women as coworkers and friends, but they’ve never had him date anyone other than Catherine.

• KatieKatt says:

Wrong. They have never had Steve date anyone other than Cath. Media speculation of any and all females joining the show must be a new love interest doesn’t count. Not a single one of them were actual love interests until now.

3. mike says:

McGarrett can never enjoy is day off trouble always seem to follow him

4. Brooklyngirl says:

I liked the episode a lot. Steve and Lynn were a great couple. You could see and feel the mutual friendship they share. It was nice to see him in a happy, relaxed light and her portrayal of a scared woman who rose to the occasion was more than admirable. I’m hoping she sticks around. Steve needs a fresh start with someone who can love him and bring out the best in him. From what I saw tonight Lynn fits that bill.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I also appreciated that Lynn wasn’t some superwoman with ninja skills, though Carter obviously could have pulled that off after giving Skitters the smackdown for four years. It was a nice and realistic change-up.

• mike says:

I did like how they showed her in terror after the initial gunshots. Isn’t that how most people would react. That was a nice change and a tip towards reality for once.

5. mary says:

Bring Catherine back

• KatieKatt says:

Cath serves no purpose on the show. They have enough characters especially with Julie Benz joining (I can’t wait for this!) Steve can date Lynn or whoever else and their relationship can be mentioned every few episodes with her appearing once or twice a year. Cath literally has no reason to be there other than his booty call and that got old and degrading really fast. Let her go save the world off screen and never come back to break Steve’s heart again is my vote.

• Bella says:

I agree, not sure why they wrote her out.

6. J. P. says:

I was only looking for an ‘anyone but Borth LI’ but it turned out to be excellent chemistry in a nice enough episode, actually looking forward to watching McG with this new lady.

• ninamags says:

This actress did have great chemistry with Steve. I remember her from the few Smallville episodes that she did and she had fantastic chemistry with Tom Welling as well! So, so many times I wished she would have had a serious relationship with Clark.

She looks like a nice, normal, drama-free girl. Steve deserves somebody nice to be with.

7. Moonlight4evr says:

Been a fan of this actress since Smallville. She had amazing chemistry with Clark. I was so hoping that she would have had a longer relationship with Clark.

I was so glad to see her on H5O. She and Steve had immediate sparks. I am over the Cat relationship so my hope is that This new character sticks around this year. She is a breath of fresh air and brings a lightness to Steve.

8. Stacy says:

Even though I’m a Sarah Carter fan, I had my reservations. I see now I should never have doubted her! They’re giving her a lot more banter than they ever gave Borth, and I am all about the banter. She’s caring and adventurous like Steve, but she’s also not military and they didn’t try to pretend like she would have those abilities.
    Even if it was an underwhelming B story, it was nice to see Daniel Dae Kim with some well deserved screen time, not to mention Chi McBride showing off his chops.

• bj says:

I agree. I was also happy that the writers didn’t feel the need to add any comic relief. The banter between Steve and his date worked well enough that I didn’t miss the Steve/Danny banter this episode. And that was enough comedy for me.

9. Love Sarah Carter as Steves new love interest..have always liked her from Smallville to Falling Skies..I was worried about the producer and writers bringing in different girls every week but will say they hit this one out of the park..well done..

10. christine says:

I don’t see how Steve can move on so quickly after Catherine ifheloved her that much I think he is just inthe rebound trying to get over her I hope it doesn’t work and Catherine comes back

• Nina says:

Remeber that TV air time is not the same as actual real time. For what is worth since Catherine left and this new date could had passed maybe 5 mos or so. We dont know.

• KatieKatt says:

Kono’s wedding was set in May and episode one is set at wedding. Episodes two and three probably take place in no more than a month time frame. The only clearly shown passage of time is the Halloween episode. So if Catherine left sometime in June or July Steve has had 3-4 months to mourn and be ready to try dating.

• Joan says:

Says to me that he didn’t love her. He just thought he should since their sex for favors/friends with benefits had gone on so long. He was afraid of being left alone.

• KatieKatt says:

Agree with this and want to add that him wanting to propose was not because he really loved Cath but because it was the only way he could think of to make her not leave again. Cath led him on the first three episodes making him think she was there to stay and that they could be something and then she lied to him and left him again. With all the trust issues Steve has thanks to his mother and Joe can H50 please keep Cath away and let him find someone who won’t lie to him?

11. Terry Perry says:

The show should be called Iraq 5-0 i would be scared to go there if this was Real

12. Melody says:

Just gets Sophia Myles on the show already! Or Shannyn Sossamon. I’m not fuss.

13. christine says:

Ellie onlylastedforacouple of episodes hope Lynne only lasts for a couple of episodes to

14. Sarah says:

I find the new character boring to be honest and I’m also not a fan of the actress. Want Catherine/Michelle Borth back. Imo McRollins worked much better and was way more interesting. But those are just my personal feelings.

• christine says:

well Sarah nobody knows at this time what is going to happen I would like to see Catherine come back she is so right for Steve these phone callahehas been getting could’ve something to do withcatherine if they are maybe she is in trouble and is afraid to speak to him because of the way she left again or it could be she is phoning just to no
      he is ok but I think there is to much history between them for it to be over I think she will return and everything will be explained to him
      be explained to him

15. Rene says:

You are right she is boring did not like the show

16. katydid says:

Let me preface this by saying I’m a McRoll fan, but I feel like that storyline became manipulative and I’m not sure it can be saved. I want to see Steve reasonably happy.

I liked seeing Steve be playful. I like that Lynn shares his intetests. I like that she’s not too passive. I like that could be plausible reasons for 5-0 to run into her professionally (cases with kids) but she’s not going to become 5 -0. I wouldn’t mind seeing Steve and Lynn become a couple. But I’d rather not have something start and then have her disappear never to be heard from again.

I did not like seeing Chin and Grover revert to teenage boys. It seemed out of character. They could have made the same points in away that was more consistent with the characters.

17. Joey Padron says:

Good episode. Steve and Lynn connected on their first date. Hope Sarah comes back on show soon!

18. Judy says:

I like the other relationship better

19. Geema says:

I really liked this episode. Glad Dano wasn’t on. I’m tired of his whining and the bickering between him and Steve. This, even though Lynn was added, seem more of a main cast lite episode. I really liked that. Just my opinion.

20. Dee Ann korth says:

I loved the chemistry between Steve and Lynn. The picture she took of them says it all he is smiling. Also Lynn is a social worker and not in the military or police work I like that but she did keep with Steve and got the boat like he wanted her to. She is a recurring character and when Steve needs to be with someone out side of work Lynn will be perfect. This is a police drama so I still watch for the bromance between Steve and Danny. I wish it had been Danny talking to Steve in the beginning not Grover.

21. Mr. Mike says:

The relationship between McGarrett and his new girl friend Lynn, as virtually everyone here has commented, was the best thing about this show. They should have just let the two of them hang out on the island for the full hour with McGarrett doing push ups and stuff (for the ladies) and Lynn getting a sun tan (for the guys). Unfortunately, pretty well everything else about the episode — the mob boss stranded on the island making the couple’s life miserable and the kidnapping connected with the high school football game — was yet another exercise in bad writing so typical of this show, especially this season.

22. kate says:

Loved the new couple, the other plot was boring…

23. Diane says:

I liked her, never saw the actress before. They had chemistry, although I thought she sounded a little like Catherine.

24. Guest says:

Bring back Catherine!!!! Give Scott Caan more scenes. Danny is suppose to be Steve’s sidekick.

25. Joesph Engel says:

I thought there first date was awesome. She is vivacious and spunky and I think a better match for him. Hop[e all goes well!

26. Sandy Hawk says:

Lynne was too Bay Watchy. Way over acted. No comparison with Catherine. Also, seemed like Steve was trying too hard to make it work. I didn’t see much chemistry at all. Failure.

27. Hell yeah. Sarah Carter in a bikini…that girl has been working out. Shades of Maggie when she held the machine gun a little too well at the end. It’s enough to make me become an outdoors type!

28. mike says:

I ended up hating Falling Skies so much by the end, that I am not sure if I dislike her because of that show, or just do not like her as an actress. We will see.

29. Ndavlin says:

Easy to see Anti-Cat fans are the ones that voted. Being a McRoll fan, I have not cared to watch yet.

• KatieKatt says:

Why not watch and keep an open mind? Liking Lynn and liking Steve dating another woman doesn’t mean you have to stop shipping McRoll. I like Danny/Amber but I also like Danny/Mindy. It is possible to ship more than one pairing. Why do fans seem to always forget that?

30. Nia Myah says:

Finally McGarret has chemistry with someone. She is perfect. Hope the writers are smart enough to realize this!!

• Nobie says:

McRoll had plenty of chemistry…hot!

• christine says:

even though Catherine is no longer inthe show at the moment people are still saying not to bring her back well I hope she does return and those who don’t like her will have to get over it I hope there his a big surprise coming

• KatieKatt says:

Even though Cath is no longer in the show people are still saying to bring her back. If fans can ask for her return fans can also ask that she be kept away. We’re all allowed to have our opinions on the show and characters.

• christine says:

well nobie I agree with you about the chemistry between Steve and Catherine I don’t no what it is but some people are really obsessed with Michelle borth over something that happened two years ago I think that is very sad for them to continue with there dislike of her maybe Sarah will get eaten by the skitters

• the reason people dont like michelle borth is because she stuck up for her self on twitter and that is a good thing abby has lied t the team even chin i wonder will they start on her as well even after all this time people still hate MB so childish but then it wxpect thet have nothing else to do with there lives so you just got to let it go

31. Lets see more of them together!

32. Carm says:

I liked Lynn. I have now also realized that I like H5O much better when Danny is not in the episode.

• Nina says:

You dont like Danny?

• Carm says:

I don’t like how his character is written. He complained about the walk to a crime scene in the last episode. He is ok when he is with other characters but with Steve he complains about almost everything. It is annoying. So I did not miss him in this episode or the other he was not in a few weeks ago

• Justine says:

I miss Danny so much when Caan can’t be on, but also when he CAN and the writers botch his character – he’s supposed to be a competent Detective (like the earlier seasons) and gets reduced to comic relief…

• Carm says:

Exactly, but it is not funny.

• Grace says:

Eh, he and Steve have a weird co-dependency where Steve becomes overbearing and dominant and Danny gets more helpless and whiny when they’re together. I love them together so I don’t mind it, but I have noticed it a lot over the last few seasons in particular.

33. Donna Sprow says:

Really enjoyed this episode. Like how this show always has some humor and family issues.
    Have watched since season 1. Also watched the original with Jack Lord, but love the actors in this one.

34. JBC says:

I really liked this new girlfriend for Steve. Sarah Carter did a great job portraying a fearful social worker when they came upon the bad guys. There is a nice banter between Lynn & Steve. I didn’t mind Cath in the last couple of episodes, but when they earlier made her 5-0 that is when I started not liking the character. I do like the way they sent her away on a covert mission. Steve can’t wait forever to start dating again, so this is a great match up. Looking forward to the new storyline with Lynn. 2 Thumbs up!

35. Nina says:

Cant we stop talking about Catherie/Steve? Unbelievable how Mcroll fans still want her back, Catherine is in the past, let go of the past for God sake. Ok they were an item, that is understanable but that is in the past now. Steve have to look forward to the future and cant DWELL on the past.. Steve has to move on. And please to the ones who like Catherine/Steve, remember very well Steve words when he told her “she knows he cant wait her forever and even Catherine agreed”, so if Catherine agreed it s more than a reason for Steve to move on.

Steve himself said that. and if Steve were so hung up on Catherine now he wont allow himself to date again and here he is, going on a date with another lady, giving himself another opportunity because he knows he just can sit and be miserable waiting for Catherine to return and explain him the reason why she had to leave him. Is not fair even for the own Catherine..

So Im glad Steve is meeting another chick a more humble simple lady. Let steve enjoy his life now and let Catherine save the world and meet other guys too why not. They Steve and Catherine are not Romeo and Juliet lovers until death. Plizz!!

36. Sharron Lawson says:

Steve had “No connection” with Catherine or Katherine. The new girl is refreshing. It was dull with Katherine.

37. BrianR says:

More bikini…..more bikini…….more bikini!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

38. Dragon warrior says:

So smallvilles Clark Kent ex girlfriend joins the cast. Loved her in smallvilles. Lol

39. Dragon warrior says:

She still looks hot. Wow so she’s back into acting. OK. She still have a nice voice tho.

40. mrsfoxxe says:

Going to have to do a lot of work for me to like 5 0 . Can’t stand McGarret actor!

41. mrsfoxxe says:

Can’t stand 5 0. Guy plays McGarret stinks. Nothing like old 5 0!

• lindae5o says:

Better than the old Five-0 !! Why are you even watching, or if you’re not, why come to this site to complain. It’s Alex who makes the show, IMO, and he’s the only reason I watch it. I kind of think he’ll be around until the end.

• grazelled says:

Most times I can’t stand remakes of old shows but I tried watching episodes of the original H50 and just couldn’t stand the serious staccato delivery of the actors. Seeing Hawaii without a lot of buildings was great but the acting and story lines seem so old fashioned. Jack Lord never smiles and is always the one giving the orders. The new 5.0 is more of a team effort with humor and while there are official police ranks, input is expected and appreciated from the team before final orders are given. I’m glad it’s nothing like the old 5.0.

42. Rene says:

We do not need love we need a show and we do not have one she need to go so Steve need to go back work she is not the one they look like too kids at play and love is not way we look at the show

43. Phoebe Frost says:

I liked their chemistry. Good to see him date for once. Never seen him and Cat on a date. He is such a good looking man. He needs to be in some stable relationship. dont laugh at me fellow Hawaii 5-0 fans but I always thought that Kono and Steve would have been a great couple!

• KatieKatt says:

No one should laugh at you. Steve and Kono have great chemistry together. Maybe if they paired up during first or second year because now I see their relationship more like brother and sister.

44. TW says:

I have not read through the comments on the “co-lead-killed-off” blind-item, but has anyone suggested it might be Danno? He was missing again from this episode and I have concerns his asking for less screen time is leading to his permanent removal from the show.

45. ithink that what we are forgetting is that michelle aka catherine didnot write that storyline about her leaving again it was written for her maybe that is the way they wanted it to she might not even return we shall have to wait and see what happens no one knows anything at this time so those of us who like her and those of you who dont will have to wait and see

46. Glennlyn says:

I really liked this episode. I missed Danny though, the episodes just are not the same without him. I’m happy to see Steve having fun. With Catherine it was all about work, you never got to see them having fun together. They never really aknowledged they were a couple. Lynn seems like a better fit I think she’s going to be a challenge of sorts for Steve. I thought Catherine was boring.I’m happy to see him with someone more playful. I’m really looking forward to seeing how this story play ls out.

47. Sharon says:

I am so sorry….still not Catherine guys! This is how I feel, short of the relationship he has with his real life wife…no one will do except Catherine…ok it was nice he had to save the lady because she was so scared she could’nt breath…but I’m telling you he is a Navy Seal…he is going to get tired of saving his partner every five minutes or wondering if she can get out of the house while he’s away because a past criminal he put away is after him. Catherine is beautiful and soft enough to take care of the man….and tough enough to rock with the Navy Seal…come on nature observer??? Now I am getting a bit upset with Catherine with the running back and forth….Lynn is a nice lady, but for me the chemistry will always be between Steve and Catherine….I don’t know what the secret mission Catherine left for, but unless she now has multiple personality disorder and has become an enemy to Steve….PLEASE GUYS BRING HER BACK…I am depressed!!!! The only way I can understand why they can’t be together is…bring her back and let us discover she has lost it and Steve has to put her away in a mental hospital because he discovers she has PTSD….lol…I know I’m clearly not the writer, but I know you guys can fix this…..PLEASE!!!

• KatieKatt says:

Having a small panic attack while being shot at for the very first time in your life does not mean that you are incapable of taking care of yourself or can’t handle yourself in other situations. Don’t also forget that even so-called badass can take care of herself and beat the sh!t out of a trained yakuza guy Cath got herself kidnapped in episode 401. Give Lynn a fair chance like I said yesterday you can have fun with and like Steve dating another woman and still ship McRoll. Why does one have to negate the other? These are fictional people and you can pair them with as many others as you want.

48. Sharon says:

By the way…where was Danno????

49. RLJ3 says:

Curious to see how the Catherine spy angle will play out. I am a Catherine fan myself. Didn’t like how they wrote her off. Friday’s episode wasn’t bad…

50. Sue says:

I like Steve’s chemistry with Lynn there wasn’t much between him and Kathryn they always seem tense when together and she is always running off let her stay gone