Sleepy Hollow Killer Wasps Season 3 Recap

Sleepy Recap: Panic at the Hollow

Let’s take a moment to examine how utterly, heartbreakingly and repeatedly screwed Ms. Jenny Mills has been in the short time since Sleepy Hollow introduced her.

Crazy mom. Absent dad. Bounced around the foster system. Had a traumatic incident with a terrible demon as a young teen. Locked up in an insane asylum for telling the truth about the whole demon thing. Possessed by a different, though no less horrifying, demon. Tossed back in a psych ward. Lost the only person who’d shown her some kindness.

And now, thanks to this week’s episode, we can add “grabbed a magical thingamajig and may have accidentally set herself ablaze from the inside” to Ms. Mills’ ongoing list of woes.

Sadly, Jenny probably won’t get the attention she’ll likely need, given that the Witnesses realize that what they thought was Pandora’s buffet of fear was merely an amuse-bouche of terror, and the really bad stuff is on its way.

To paraphrase Ichabod Crane, “Strength, Jennifer Mills!” Let’s take a look at what happens in “This Red Lady From Caribee.”

DATE NIGHT | We pick up with the Witnesses following through on their to-do lists from last episode: Ichabod on a hibachi-restaurant date with Zoe, Abbie promising Daniel she’s about to tell Jenny and Joe to leave the Nevins situation way the heck alone. Jenny’s not psyched about the kibosh, but she agrees to play nice so as not to jeopardize Ab’s job at the FBI. Ichabod’s endeavor (good lord, why is he shouting?) is less successful: He relies on a cheat sheet of first date questions to facilitate conversation, then spends too much time discussing how a well-placed rapier jab would put an end to the chef’s dramatic knife work. Zoe, understandably, looks a little troubled, which is the first inkling I’ve had that she has sense.

WHAT’S THE BUZZ? TELL ME WHAT’S HAPPENIN’ | Meanwhile, Pandora summons a Trinidadian baddie who’s basically a woman made out of stinging insects. The aforementioned “red lady” is in town to engender “the fear of fear itself” in the general public, starting with the judge who was supposed to oversee Ichabod’s smuggling case (remember? The one that landed him in prison at the beginning of the season?). After the judge is stung by a swarm of wasps in his quarters, he becomes wildly irrational, screams “You can’t trust anyone!” and dies on the bench. While Abbie and Ichabod calmly discuss what evil might’ve been afoot, I wonder if anyone is going to even try to call an ambulance? A GUY JUST DIED IN FRONT OF YOU.

Based on a dead red wasp Ichabod finds at the scene, the Witnesses quickly put together that the bugs is an enchanted one whose sting causes fever, paranoia and death — and that Grace Dixon once treated George Washington, at Betsy Ross’ request, for the same affliction. (One of my favorite moments in the episode comes when Ichabod steadfastly refuses to believe that his beloved Gee Dubs had ever been reduced to a paranoid mess, and Abbie shuts him down with her exasperated “Yes.”)

While we’re near the subject, can we talk about Betsy for a minute? I like her. I like what she does in the story. I like the fact that she’s confined to the flashbacks. I like that she wears corsets and pants, even though it is absolutely ridiculous. I want to know what conditioner she uses. I think Nikki Reed is doing a good job in the role. And mostly, can we agree that she is not the Katrinapocalypse many in the fandom feared she’d be?

DANIEL’S TORCH STILL BURNS | After a PTA president is killed, Abbie realizes that the insects are taking down authority figures. “And look at me, profiling a bug,” she quips. Unfortunately, the next bigwig stung is Daniel. With Mills in the car, he careens through traffic and yells that she’s trying to undermine him; only when she sees the bite on his neck does she realize he’s not himself. And when she gets him under control (by dropping him like fifth period geometry and handcuffing him), she holds him in Jefferson’s Masonic cell while Jenny and Joe gather the ingredients for a tonic to help slow the illness. During a rough moment for Daniel, he mentions the Outer Banks and a shack on the beach. “That’s when I found you. That’s when I knew,” he says sadly. “You left that place, but I’m still there.” Interesting little peek into that tryst, no?

MILLS IS MARKED | Meanwhile, Jenny has a scary moment while buying an elusive tonic ingredient from a Trinidadian store: When the clerk touches her hand to return her change, his eyes go all white at the same time his voice gets all low and otherworldly. “A shadow older than time falls over your soul. You shall be claimed,” he says. Once the clerk returns to himself, he warns Jenny that “Your fate has changed” and tasks a flummoxed Joe with protecting her.

But Joe’s got other things on his mind: Namely, meeting with Nevins, who tells him that his father was just as dirty as he feared. The black market kingpin hints that August stored money in Lichtenstein and Geneva back in the day, and that young Corbin is just as susceptible to nefarious goings-on as his dad was. “You’re drawn to the darkness, and you can’t look away,” he says, removing a glowing red disc from the Shard of Anubis. Or maybe that is the Shard of Anubis? Anyway, Jenny’s outside with a gun, and she quickly takes back the red dealie. But it evaporates in her palm as she and Joe and making their getaway, and later that night, she is tormented by chaotic nightmares while her skin seems to be lit on fire from within.

Sleepy Hollow Killer Wasps Season 3 RecapSTOMP THE BUGS | Back at the archives, Ichabod and Abbie use some giant assumptions about where the victims were bit in order to triangulate the location of the red lady’s hive. And because the space on the map looks just like the six-blossom tree on the back of Ichabod’s illegal tablet, Mills and Crane theorize that it’s Pandora’s lair, too.

At first, I thought Abbie was carrying a can of Raid into bug central, and I was on board with that, because it’s how I handle most insect-related threats to my well-being: Douse liberally with poison, run away, hope that whatever creepy-crawly I sprayed didn’t somehow mutate into a stronger creature from the impromptu shower I just gave it. But Abs instead uses the can and a lighter to create a blowtorch; between that and the canister of acid Ichabod hands her, she manages to destroy the hive. (Though if someone can tell me how she didn’t get stung during that swarm at the end, I’d appreciate it.)

While Mills is going all Terminex on this week’s monster, Ichabod is dealing with “the bitch with the box,” (© Abbie Mills 2015), who stops his arrow as though it were a spitball and then demands that he and the leftenant “Bear witness” as she steps into an opening in the tree and disappears. (Side note: Anyone else worried for a minute there that Abbie was going to gallop in after her?)

WHAT IF…? | So with Daniel on the mend (conveniently with no memory of his ordeal) and Ichabod enjoyinh a far more normal second date with Zoe, the Witnesses just bide their time until Pandora’s return. And while we have this brief lull, I’d like to raise a point: Wouldn’t it have been awesome, albeit unoriginal, if either Ichabod or Abbie had been stung by the evil bugs? I wouldn’t have minded watching either Witness come a little unhinged, with his or her worst fears voiced for the other to hear, a la Scully in the “Wetwired” episode of The X-Files.

Yes, other shows have done it. But they’ve done it because it’s good drama, and Sleepy is rife for this kind of situation right now. Abbie’s got a lot going on this season — new job, the dad situation, what I’m convinced are still unresolved thoughts about Ichabod taking off for months without a word — but it feels like most of that is locked up in that ever-vigilant mind of hers. And Ichabod’s no stranger to ache and/or anger, with Katrina not even gone six months at this point. Bottom line: I wouldn’t have minded if either of them came a little unhinged and gave us a smidge of the emotions roiling inside them, even if it were just for this episode.

Anyway, now we want to hear what you thought of the hour. Sound off in the comments below!

1. Theresa says:

Sleepy Hollow is in short – hollow. I hope it gets put out of its misery after this season. It’s deader than Headless. Such amazing chemistry wasted. How bad of a writer do you have to be to really mess up natural chemistry between actors? End it, please.

• Cory says:

I’m hoping it gets two final seasons but I’d like them to bring back the apocalyptic atmosphere of season 2, which is very underrated I thought after rewatching it last month.

• Gonna disagree with you there because this season has been a major improvement over last season and even the first season!

2. JenE says:

I’m gonna disagree with your Betsy comment. While nowhere near as bad as Katrina (but who is?), she is seriously miscast. And am I the only one that is wondering why she is the lone person walking around without a British accent. One of many things that is bugging me about her.

• Cory says:

By the time of the Revolutionary War the accent was long changed and Britain didn’t even speak like they do now so technically Ichabod’s accent is inaccurate. It really ultimately matters in no way.

• Angela says:

Yeah, especially considering all the other distortions and unusual takes they’re doing with the historical side of things-of all the stuff that could be nonsensical about their take on American/British history, someone’s accent isn’t what I’d focus on first, personally :p.

• Boom! Dropping some facts down! I’m surprised that the show hasn’t used that fact to dive into some new mythology!

• James says:

It’s a sixties Hollywood British accent, the other from that era was Dick Van Dyke London Cockney.

3. Angela says:

I’d wondered how Abbie managed to avoid getting stung, too, and while I am glad that she and Ichabod escaped the deadly swarm in many ways, I too wouldn’t have minded seeing one or both of them getting stung and babbling out some personal truths before getting healed up again. That could’ve definitely been quite good, for all the reasons you note.
    Yes. I was actually like, “Um, Abbie, what are you doing?” Thank goodness she stopped. On a much lighter note, I second your appreciation of her sarcastic “Yes” response to Ichabod’s shock at Washington having bouts of paranoia. That was great :D. As was her “Don’t get ahead of yourself” comment to him at the end. I like it when Abbie gets snarky.
    I also loved the way she took down Reynolds when he started going all spazzy on her…and I definitely raised a brow or two with his revelations about their little rendezvous. Hmm. Interesting. There’s a story I wouldn’t mind delving into more deeply, especially from Abbie’s perspective. As for Betsy, yeah, I’m not bugged about her one way or another. She’s there, she does her thing, I’m cool with it. *Shrugs*
    And finally, I am now very scared for Jenny. Please, show, let her make it out of whatever craziness she’s getting involved with okay! Please? *Clasps hands*

4. Jimmy says:

I am so tired of the Pandora plot and Shannon Sossamon is truly horrible int he role.

5. Sharon says:

6. Sharon says:

I assumed Abbie probably was stung but had already doused the hive with acid, so any effects would have been ended. Bored with Betsy. Miss Deus ex Machina has had her 5 min of fame.

7. Radha says:

I thought it had been a year since the events of season 2. Can someone verify this?

• SayNay says:

It’s been about 9+ months. Ichabod left the group shortly after the end of season 2 and resurfaced 9 months later.

• Sigh says:

Yes, he was gone for nine months. And we don’t know how much time has passed over the course of these 6 episodes, but with Crane’s citizenship application humming along, and them getting a “six month extension” on the application to save the archives, we can safely assume it’s been another several months at least. So it’s probably been about a year since Ichabod killed his wife. Remember that? When Ichabod killed his wife and was torn to shreds about it? When he actually felt things and there were real, personal STAKES for him (and Abbie) in this fight? Good times, good times.

8. Do either Ichie or Abbie realize that there are such things as protective suits that are great for protecting one from stinging insects? Consult your local beekeeper for more information. Is Abbie & Danny’s shack a timeshare for the one that Olivia and Jake used on “Sandal”? And this one’s been nagging me for a while: how and when did Jenny go on all these missions while she was locked up in the Tarrytown psych home?

9. This episode reminded me a lot of the classic episodes, especially the smart blend of the scares and character development!

10. Kelsie says:

Loved this episode. The soucouyant in Trinidadian folklore is really about creature that takes form of an old woman by day and by night she sheds her skin and transforms into a vampire-like fireball. At night she flies and sucks the blood from her victims. I may have preferred that premise. Still a great episode. Sweet mention of Carnival too!

11. molly says:

Thursday night’s episode was marginally better, however that’s not saying much since all the others were very under whelming/boring. This season everything just seem so forced, no chemistry or emotions especially between the two leads. Ichabod is being written as a silly dork, which is a major turn off. What happened to the great chemistry between Abbie and Ichabod from seasons 1 and 2? Is it deliberate down play so the fans will not ship Ichabbie?
    Also enough with the Betsy Ross flash backs. What happen to the great flash backs with Washington, Franklin, Grace Dixon and others from season 1 & 2. At least they had something to add to the story line. Now it just seem like someone thinking “oops” time for a Betsy flashback even if it adds nothing to the storyline.

Whose idea was to make Abbie’s love interest her boss? If they were going to bring in Daniel Reynolds as her love interest they should not have made him her boss. Maybe she is planning to move on to something new. I read that in this episode she would be making a decision about her career with the help of Ichabod. I don’t remember seeing that… did I miss it? They could bring back the guy from season 2 as her love interest… the photographer Calvin Riggs, they had good chemistry.

This has been bothering since season 3 started, Crane does not having a paying job (none mentioned) how is he able to travel to the UK, go out on a date, go to the dentist? The last time I check these things cost $$$$. Did he sudden remember that he has an account at “The Bank of America” drawing interest for last 200 years? Or is he growing is own Pandora Tree which blooms Benjamins .

• Myra says:

^^^^^This last line too funny. I am really struggling with whether or not to cancel SH from my scheduled series recordings. All of the above mentioned points are why I’m left holding on to this season with my strong hand.

Like many, I still don’t get why the chemistry between our witnesses went cold this season. Ichabod is in this weird annoying little brother zone with Abbie and he’s 250 years her senior. huh? Maybe their connection was hacked with their haircuts. Maybe the 9 months apart set them back and with time they will rekindle their unmistakable bond from seasons 1 and 2.

I am more intrigued by the Jenny & Joe storyline, the connection between them seems more authentic and warm. I did appreciate the scenes with Daniel (hellooo Lance) & Abbie this episode. I mean if she HAS to have a love interest other than Ichabod, then let their flame burn a little. All these good looking characters and not one believable love connection? I don’t expect a soap opera romance with all hell breaking loose, but this puppy love with Ich and Zoe sucks. It’s childish and DUMB. I kind of want possessed Jenny to end her in the next episode (fingers crossed).

12. Billy says:

Sleepy Hollow will be cancelled at the end of season 3. I predict these headlines real soon. Face it, if the show was a smell, we would all be gasping for air. Even the mid-season cliff hanger, that by the way, no one watched, worst show ratings yet, was a stupid soap opera plot. If you believe Abbie will not be back, I have a bridge I want to sell you. This season has been a true disaster. It seems the writers are trying to insult the viewers intelligence at every level. They must think that the fans are all three year olds that soil themselves every time they see another lame monster of the week. All the smart fans left at the end of season one. I kept hoping the show would get better, but like a heroin addict, the first shot is the one you are always chasing in vain. It is all downhill from there. Moving the show to Friday night, is like sticking the needle in one last time. But, the show is about to choke on it’s on vomit.

13. Bill says:

Plots are becoming dumb and dumber. Give it up cuz the fans have.