Luther Return Date

Luther: Super-Sized Special Snags Holiday Premiere Date

BBC America is extending an early Christmas gift to Luther fans.

The network has scheduled its anticipated one-off special — starring Idris Elba as the titular detective — for Thursday, Dec. 17 at 9/8c.

Written and created by Neil Cross and directed by Sam Miller (No Good Deed), the Luther movie — which will run nearly three hours — finds Elba’s antihero pulled “out of seclusion” by a case involving “a cannibalistic serial killer.” (There was speculation that this quasi-fourth season would run as a miniseries, but BBC America opted to go the super-sized “episode” route, thus creating a “one night event.”)

The cast also includes Rose Leslie (Game of Thrones, Downton Abbey), Laura Haddock (Guardians of the Galaxy), Darren Boyd (Fortitude, Spy), John Heffernan (Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell) and Patrick Malahide (Game of Thrones), with Michael Smiley and Dermot Crowley returning as Benny Silver and DSU Martin Schenk respectively.

1. What about Ruth Wilson??!!

2. Shaun says:

How are they going to stretch one episode/case that long?

3. Jake L. says:

So this is airing simultaneously with the first screenings of Star Wars? Good luck. I’ll watch it via DVR.

4. Stephanie says:

I hope Alice makescan appearance :)

5. CAN'T_WAIT!!!!!!!!! says:

There will be a record-breaking number of people seeing Star Wars Dec 17. There will also be a record-breaking number of people watching it at a later date for those who don’t like going to a movie with a huge crowd……. that would include me. So from the enormous numbers of us who will attend Star Waters at a later date, we will be watching the long-anticipated return of Luther. I cannot wait, though no Alice is a huge disappointment, it won’t stop me from looking forward to a new Luther story!!! I’d have preferred 3 two-hour nights, preferably consecutively, but regardless, I’ll watch it almost live … that is I’ll be taping the movie and after the first hour I’ll watch it commercial free. God knows, I never watch anything live anymore. I almost wish it was shown sometime between Christmas and New Year’s; that zombified time when there is NOTHING new to watch. Thank goodness for Netflix. LUTHER…… YEAHHHHHHHHHHH.

6. Riley James says:

I can’t wait!! I love Luther! I hope Alice shows up, the chemistry between Luther and Alice is off the charts!

7. Deborah Sable says:

I cannot tell you how happy this makes me – the best show I have seen in years! I have watched the first 3 seasons twice! I am over the moon!!!!!

8. Tilda Pettis says:

Will there be a Luther seasons 1-3 marathon before the one-off special?

9. Heathers says:

Yes! I hope they bring back Alice too!