Empire Ratings

Ratings: Empire Dips to Season Lows vs. Softer CMA Awards, Arrow Rises

Fox’s Empire this Wednesday drew 11.6 million total viewers and a 4.6 rating opposite ABC’s strong CMA Awards telecast, dipping 6 percent and two tenths to hit and tie season lows.Empire in fact drew its smallest audience since Episode 5 of its freshman run.

Opening Fox’s night, Rosewood (5.1 mil/1.5) dropped a few eyeballs and one tenth in the demo.

ABC’s aforementioned CMA Awards presentation did 13.6 mil and a 3.8, slipping 17 and 16 percent from last year.

Elsewhere in the ratings….

CBS | Survivor (8.7 mil/2.0) ticked down, Criminal Minds (7.7 mil/1.4) slipped two tenths to a new series low and Code Black (6.4 mil/1.2) added a tenth.

NBC | Mysteries of Laura (7 mil/1.2) rose 11 percent and two tenths to hit a four-week high in audience and match its best demo number since Feb. 25. SVU (6.5 mil/1.5) was flat while Chicago P.D. (6.5 mil/1.4) dipped a tenth.

THE CW | Arrow‘s visit from John Constantine (2.6 mil/1.0) conjured some extra eyeballs plus an added tenth in the demo, while Supernatural (1.6 mil/0.6) dropped 20 and 25 percent.

1. Missy Kelly says:

Mysteries of Laura going up in ratings is a good thing. The show has improved greatly with the taking out of “Starring Debra Messing” and becoming the ensemble piece it should be.

• MFL says:

Super excited about TMoL…I stuck with the show in s1 because I love D Messing but s2 has improved vastly and I hope NBC picks it up for a full season.

2. Izzie says:

I for sure thought Arrow would do way better than that. For the first half hour ratings were at 1.1 before they dropped to 1.0. Guess Constanine wasn’t that big of a draw.. or people got tired of Laurel being excruciatingly annoying. Either way, I see this as a loss for the CW.

• @MiraLandWrites says:

It was leaked apparently. That might have eaten into the numbers.

• Sg. Grant says:

Yea it was online a day early. Some of us couldn’t wait. Of the most pirated shows on torrents, the flash and arrow are right at the top in the fall, along with walking dead, limitless, and Quantico.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Hooray?

• Sg. Grant says:

You of all people recognize more than most that viewing habits are changing. Product placement within shows, Chuck style, will be something more shows go to because more and more of us are simply watching shows online, mostly because of convienence, since we live in a society of instant gratification. And this comes from me, being a Nielsen household, who prefers letting stuff pile up on my DVR, waiting to see if its cancelled or not, then binge watching it all at once when it suits me.

• LT says:

Ummm, watching pirated and leaked stuff is NEVER OK. You wonder why the networks suffer and blame them when viewers like you screw them over.

• Sg. Grant says:

Yea right. I pay $191 a month for cable. I’ll watch content however I damn well please, in a manner that is most convenient for me. That includes popcorn time, Netflix, torrents, Usenet, and anything else I choose.

• Shaun says:

Neilson boxes being used to measure viewership is killing them.

• MFL says:

Well Sg. You can watch TV content however you wish but with more people doing that, it eats into the numbers that actually count in keeping these shows on air. So there’s nothing to brag about watching shows illegally when it disadvantages them in the long run. Granted some shows like GoT have benefited from being the most illegally downloaded series ever but that’s cable, not network!

• Jooshua says:

I was totally with you until you said you were a Nielson house. Some of us would be privileged to contribute to our favorite show’s live ratings. You are spoiled, and selfish.

• Sg. Grant says:

Nielsen is outdated. I still leave my TV on so its live viewing all the shows I care about, regardless if I’m there to watch them or not at the time, or if I’ve already seen them or plan to download them and watch them later.

• Robert Dassler says:

Of course Constantine isn’t a draw. If it was NBC wouldn’t have canceled it. Nobody cares.

• It’s lucky you don’t make the decisions at CW because Constantine’s appearance was no way a loss in the ratings!

3. Dizzle says:

I’ve never watched the show but it’s impressive how Mysteries of Laura just manages to stick on in there. I can’t see NBC choosing not to pick it up for the full season again, given the problems they have elsewhere!

4. Coach Taylor says:

Survivor proving once again that it is still king of the reality TV castle after all these years

5. smartysenior says:

I watched last week’s Mysteries of Laura and I was impressed that they eliminated all the dumb slapstick stuff from last season. It’s turned into a pretty cool little crime show with wit and some fun chemistry in the ensemble. I’ll probably stick with it for now. Goes to show how important good writing is, someone turned off the wacky and voila.

6. Drew says:

Sorry to hear that Supernatural dropped. This was another solid episode. The show is so much better when the villains are seen from the perspective of the Winchesters, rather than watching them sitting in dark rooms, talking about how evil they are and all of the evil things they will eventually do once they’re out of the dark room.
    Amara was actually creepy for the first time, because her time in the episode was well spent.

7. Bigdede says:

I have no idea whst is going on with Empire but they need to fix it. Yesterday’s episode was like watching 4 episodes in one! Rosewood is so boring. I’m shocked ppl watching it

8. SVU finally beat out Criminal Minds. MOL did a 1.2 again. NBC will probably make those 5 extra scripts into episodes now. There must have been tons of celebrating at NBC last night.

9. Jon says:

Can someone please explain to me what the ‘demo ratings’ are?

10. Patrick Maloney says:

I don’t know whether I should be more happy that Constantine cause a rise in audience for Arrow or that Empire is starting to decline!

11. Sarah T says:

I think they should move Empire back to January with the shorter season (and keep it with the original 15 (?) eps. Part of the reason why I think it did so well to begin with because it came on mid-season in winter when more eyes are watching TV and bored with what’s already on. Also, it was able to move through story lines quickly with a shortened season. Though this season is still shorter, it seems to drag a bit. I almost skipped taping last night’s ep because I wasn’t really interested in it. this season has just felt a little flat and like they’re not moving story line along. I still have it recorded but not sure when I’ll watch it.

12. kmw says:

Empire’s numbers are lower but I doubt FOX is worried about it. A 4.6 demo and 11.6 million viewers is what a lot of shows would love to have. Rosewood is still doing better than I thought and Mysteries of Laura just keeps hanging on