Flash Dr Light Linda Park

The Flash Recap: Good Vibrations — Plus, Who Met Her Doppelgänger?!

This Tuesday on The CW’s The Flash, the “other” Harrison Wells caused double takes, Dr. Light gave one Central City resident an eyeful, a closet metahuman got outed and Barry had a super-sparkly “blind” date.

So that explains why I couldn’t find any casting for Dr. Light. But because I turned up nothing, I suspected a twist was at play — though this one still was surprising.

Following a prologue that hinted at friction between Wells and Jay Garrick on Earth-Two, our Team Flash got to know the “other” Wells, whom Cisco labeled a “dick” and preferred to dub “Harry.” Wells/Harry said he came over to help stop Zoom, a “plague” that he created and who is determined to be the only speedster. As Wells makes the rounds he raises several eyebrows, drawing gunfire from Joe and freshly gut-punching the likes of Iris, who after all lost Eddie to his “evil” doppelganger.

The arrival of another “breacher,” a female Earth-Two thief nicknamed Dr. Light, gives Wells the idea to lure Zoom out by capturing his latest emissary. Once Barry comes face to face with the meta, though, he realizes that it’s CCPN reporter Linda Park’s own counterpart!

Suspecting that Dr. Light is there to kill our Linda, Jay and Caitlin hold a stakeout outside CCPN, where he prettttty much namechecks Aquaman and the two are about to get kissy-kissy before the blinding baddie sneaks up on them and races inside to find Linda. the-flash-season-2-photos (15)Badass Iris, though, saves her gal pal’s life by wielding the gun Joe slipped her earlier and shooting the visor off their attacker. Light, though, kills the ladies’ senior editor before running off.

All this time, Barry was braving a first date with Patty, even though his earlier run-in with Dr. Light left his vision highly impaired, But thanks to some remote guidance from Cisco (via a camera hidden inside glasses that probably didn’t need such conspicuously dark lenses), Barry charmed Miss Spivot — though the comely detective did deduce that he was unable to see her. With that ruse out of the way, sparks flew between the two, especially after some hand-holding and a goodnight kiss (…or two) — before they both got summoned to the CCPN crime scene (though Patty apparently stopped to change clothes?).

Afterward, Wells rails at Jay, blaming him for Zoom’s reign of terror, claiming that Zoom hunted the Crimson Comet and not the other way around, that Earth-One’s Flash runs toward danger whereas Jay runs from it. The Earth-Twosome slug it out until Barry breaks things up. Wells then gets the idea to use Dr. Light’s visor to locate the breacher — or more specifically, for Cisco to use the powers he has been concealing! For as Wells reveals to all using his metahuman-sensing wearable, Cisco is in a meta!

Cisco is unable to activate his power, not until Wells jabs the visor at his chest, reminiscent of how our Wells/Eobard reached in and crushed his heart. Cisco then is able to “see” Dr. Light at the train station. Barry dashes there and, at Wells’ suggestion and with encouragement from Jay, goes fast enough to create a “speed mirage” of himself, confusing Light’s aim until he can blindside her.

Back at S.T.A.R. Labs, Jay politely declines to help Barry & Co. battle Zoom — and warns them again about this Harrison Wells before leaving. Later at Jitters, Cisco gets barista Kendra/Hawkgirl’s phone number… and then his own nickname, which is suggested by Barry and seconded by Caitlin — “Vibe” — as Wells secretly looks on.

A final coda takes us back to Earth-Two, at a time where Zoom apparently has kidnapped Wells’ daughter….

What did you think of this week’s episode of The Flash?

1. Rachel says:

I love the ease of Patty and Barry. It’s nice to not have so much angst. Vibe is officially out of the meta closet and I’m totally bummed Jay and Caitlin’s kiss didn’t happen. I like them together.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Oh, it’d be a bit soon for her though, no…?

• This but also think their arc will lead to her becoming Killer Frost and possibly the first villain of the Berlanti-verse’s Justice Society.

• Gail says:

Or the Earth 2 version of Caitlin will become or is Killer Frost. I don’t think Welles’ meta detector beeped when he passed her on his way to Cisco. If Earth One Caitlin becomes Killer Frost perhaps the particle accelerator will be set off by Earth 2 Welles. Earth 2 Caitlin could come from Earth 2 and kill Earth 1 Caitlin but that would be too sad.

• Rachel says:

Probably. But she and Ronnie together were boring….probably b/c he was dead and then alive and hardly on the show and then dead again.

• Liz985 says:

Not really. It’s been at least 6 months (probably a bit longer by this episode) since Ronnie was done in by the Singularity and Caitlyn had already dealt with losing Ronnie when the particle accelerator exploded. She’s too young to be in perpetual mourning.

• Abs says:

I’d think so… Especially given how long she held on to Ronnie before. It seems inconsistent with her character…

• Briggs says:

Might be them nodding to SnowBarry fans. “You wanted her with a Flash? Here you go!” Not that it would satisfy them, just a personal theory.

• I also enjoy the Patty and Barry relationship, and I am actually quickly falling for them together so much that they are becoming my OTP.

• Ollie says:

I disagree Barry and Patty are anything but natural. It’s very generically put together. It’s shame because I thought it would be a nice dynamic. But now more than ever do I want Barry Allen and Iris West to continue on with their romance. It’s clear as day they love each other. And they have the best chemistry on the show.

2. With last week’s Wally West/King Shark combo to Vibe and Aquaman this week, this show is gonna give my nerdy little heart a coronary!

3. TvPeong says:

I’m glad Harrison is back. Even Earth 2 Harry is helping team Flash up their game,.

4. Emily says:

Iris and Linda were so great this episode! And I’m glad we got a minor Westallen moment with the hand holding <3

Can't wait to see Iris and Linda continue to be epic next week.

5. Riana says:

I want Linda to get the other Linda’s powers. Then she’d be able to be part of the team and also would make her and Wally be able to fight villains together.

6. Johnny says:

Good episode (love Patty!) and next week’s episode looks intense. I’m guessing Cisco’s powers are going to “reveal” that Kendra=Hawkgirl. I don’t read comics so I have no idea if she’s even aware that she is Hawkgirl but I hear reincarnation is somehow involved.

• Jordan Strummer says:

She’s reincarnated over and over with her memory of being Hawkgirl erased everytime she “dies”. Hawkman gets reincarnated but remembers everytime and has to help her get her memories back

• Johnny says:

Ah, I see. Thanks for explaining that. I’m trying to put the pieces together to figure out how Barry and/or Oliver learn she’s Hawkgirl and recruit her for Legends of Tomorrow. I guess we’ll be seeing Hawkman soon.

7. Mik says:

I was happy to see so much Iris in this episode. I really loved seeing Joe be a father to her, and not just in the “I must do everything I can to protect you” way but more in the “I’m proud of you and I know you can protect yourself” way. Also, it was nice to get a Westallen scene, it was really noticeable that we didn’t get one last week, and this week doesn’t make up for that, but it’s a step in the right direction.

8. Lily says:

Patty seems like a paper doll with no personality to me and I don’t like how Barry acts with her. He seems different this season. And i’m sorry, but Jay and Caitlin are even worse. I can’t wait for that stuff to be over.

• tvjunkie says:

You must be watching Earth 2’s version of the series because here on this Earth she seems to have too much personality. She’s like an oversexed, giddy schoolgirl whenever she’s around Barry. The character could actually stand to be toned down a bit.

9. James says:

Does anybody else think Barry from Earth-2 is Zoom? I mean, why would Zoom come to Earth-1 other than to kill his doppelgänger?

10. Iris West was the MVP this episode! I loved that she saved Linda and helped Barry while he was temporally blind. They were so adorable. #Westallen

11. Aliah Berry says:

Iris West was super badass in this episode! Really enjoyed the Barry and Iris scenes as well!

12. ndixit says:

Did anybody else crack up at Barry wandering blind in the the lab looking for Cisco? That just had me in splits. I don’t know if anyone else found that funny. I liked this ep a lot. Cavanaugh definitely brings a ton of gravitas to the show, no matter what version he plays, but Gustin was having a ball in this ep too. His and Patty’s ‘blind’ date was cute.

13. Eric says:

Why is this version of Barry Allen cutting all of the other speedster’s grass?
    And can we take a moment to appreciate the scene when all of the Flash girlfriends were in one frame. Total NERDGASM!

14. Alexis says:

Still not feeling Barry and Patty together at all. They are so forced. Also is it just me or is Patty coming off as being stalkerish.
    I did enjoy Cisco getting his comic book name, Cisco/Kendra and we got an awesome westallen moment. I love Barry and Iris.

15. courtney says:

Barry and Patty date was adorable, plus Ciscos commentary throughout! I’m loving them.

16. dancmh says:

Iris went right for the head shot. That made me laugh and laugh.

17. So that’s the third Linda Park so far.

18. Pat says:

I just do not trust Dr.Wells, from earth 2. Are we 100% sure that he is not Dr.Wells from earth1 and maybe, he did not die? I know that Cisco does not trust him and that scene with him in the coffee shop, watching from a distance, Barry, Caitlin and Cisco just makes me wonder if that is Dr. Wells from earth 1.

• Nina says:

I think it’s just that his ulterior motives are to save his daughter from Zoom.

• KatsMom says:

Exactly. The question is whether Wells is actually helping Barry because he truly wants Zoom destroyed or is he acting like he’s helping, but is actually doing Zoom’s bidding by infiltrating the organization?

19. Liz985 says:

They kinda threw Jay Garrick under the bus in this episode, making him seem like a total ineffectual coward from Earth 2. Don’t know that it was really necessary to bring him down in order to build Barry up.

20. Diana says:

I laughed when Harry called Cisco “Crisco”. Iris is so great :) It was nice to see Barry and Iris in scenes together again, their chemistry is so great. Hopefully we’ll return to their romance soon. I hope the show gives Jay more to do.

• Interred Ferguson says:

Yes, it was hilarious when Harry called him “Crisco”, and NO ONE even blinked….not quite sure why Harry called Caitlin, “Snow”…no real reason to draw a Snow White comparison, IMO

• Interred Ferguson says:

Scratch the “Snow” curiousity…..had totally forgotten this it’s the characters last name. Maybe she’s related to Chrissy Snow….hehe

21. Joey Padron says:

New episode was good. Crazy Linda have an evil twin from earth 2. Surprised Wells have a daughter on earth 2. Glad the team now knows about Cisco’s powers and give him the nickname Vibe. Barry and Patty’s first date was cute.

22. This might be a bit of a stretch so early in the season, but does anyone else think that Zoom might actually be Earth-2’s TESS WELLS? Let’s look at the clues: we’ve now seen so far that every Earth-2’s counterpart on Barry’s Earth-1 is a regular human; Earth-2 Wells feels very responsible in the present for the metahumans whereas before he smugly denied any responsibility for them in public; he really, REALLY wanted Jay to capture Zoom for a guy who denied any connection to metahumans; and Zoom is holding his daughter captive but hasn’t killed her yet when that would be the most obvious and strongest way to hurt Earth-2 Wells. Hmmmm….

23. Maryann says:

There seem to be a few issues everyone has an opinion on. I’ll give you mine.

-i absolutely love Patty and Barry together! They are just so cute! Barry is really infatuated to say the least — and it looks like Pattynis too.

-I really love Iris as a strong female character. I just don’t like her with Barry romantically.

-I really can’t stand the Earth 2 Harrison Wells. It seems like his driving force is saving his daughter, just like the fake Wells on our Earth had getting home as a driving factor. I really do wish though that the Earh 2 Wells had turned out to be a nice guy; from the tiny flashback we saw of our real Wells, before Thawne killed and replaced hi, he seemed like someone we would all like.

-I really, really hope our Caitlin does not become Killer Frost. To become “evil” she would also become two dimensional, and I just don’t want to see that. Hopefully, she will be from Earth 2, or they will at least make her transition believable and her character after the transition still believable.

-I can’t stand what the writers did to Jay Garrick. I hope they have him redeem himself and not let him just fade away.

-Zoom is Barry on Earth 2? The idea is so exciting and makes so much sense I really hope they choose that direction to go in.

Finally, I really love how they are using this fall’s Flash and Arrow to introduce the stars of Legend. Fzntastic way to get fans invested in these characters so they will want to see where their lives go next!

24. Drewer says:

Speaking of doppelgängers, has anyone else noticed how similer Flash’s Patty (Shantel VanSanten) and Supergirl herself (Melissa Benoist) look?

25. Stephanie says:

I actually thought Well’s daughter was dead and that was why he was such a jerk and on his kill Zoom rampage. Interesting twist.

26. Preacher Book says:

Why Barry couldn’t figure out to run on the other side of the train where Dr. Light couldn’t see him and come streaking up BEHIND her and knock her out is beyond stooopid. But I suppose the narrative needs come first. I’m also sorry to see Garrick go though it felt a little fast for Caitlin to be getting over her husband.

27. Phoenix5634 says:

Anyone else notice that Barry’s flash symbol on his chest switched to match the future Barry’s colours this season, after his time-travelling in the season 1 finale.

28. Lily says:

I don’t think Patty Spivot was necessary this season, with so many other characters and things going on. It feels like a waste of time.

29. Phoenix5634 says:

What if Zoom is the origin of the reverse-flashs’ powers? The descendant of Thawne who first got the reverse-flash powers. Do we know if Thawne got is powers like Barry and the others, or did he was his powers passed on genetically through birth, Thawne was from the future and unless there was another supercollider explosion, then maybe Zoom I the origin of reverse-flash? Just a theory. I’d like to know more about Zoom.

30. Phoenix5634 says:

Have we seen Earth-2 detective Thawne ? Maybe he’s Zoom, I could see him having Zooms personality. When we met Thawne (earth-1) he would count his arrests, and he loved to be the best. Getting powers would only amplify that and feed that side of his personality, and without the right people like Barry has, we’ve seen how easy Metas turn kinda evil. Plus even in Earth-1 they (detective Thawne and Barry) even had a kinda rivalry, mostly over Iris, but who knows how that would translate through the different Earths.

31. James Starr says:

Earth-2 Wally West is Zoom… He is obsessed with stealing speed, hence his latest capturing of Jesse Quick, and forces Harry to got to Earth-1 and bring back Flash or else… Well, Zoom enters Earth-1 and realizes that this a doppelgänger Earth, after the Dr. Light plan fails, and sets out to find himself and kill E-1 Wally (without directly saying it) assuming he’s a speedster as well (He’s not)… Zoom gets a hold of Wally and says something vague and obscure just before Flash and Co. arrive in time to save E-1 Wally before Zoom reveals himself to himself, E-1 Wally… After Zoom gets away, its revealed that Wally is Joes son, a heart warming moment, and Wally eventually moves in with Joe… whatever Zoom said to Wally during their encounter will remain in his head creating more mystery… Also E-2 Linda could possibly be Zooms girlfriend/partner, sort of like the Joker & Harley Quinn”

• Phoenix5634 says:

That’s probably right actually… Lol how do you know that? I havn’t, nor will I likely read the comics, with saying that I love the show.. but I’m guessing you’ve either pin-pointed where the show is taking from the comics, or you hacked a script for next weeks episode lol

32. Cilla says:

I loved badass Iris protecting Linda, and the westallen scenes were really cute. Barry and Iris have such effortless chemistry, I hope we get more westallen scenes. I feel like Iris is bottling things up and maybe it will all get too much for her and she will breakdown. I just hope if that happens Barry or her father are there for her and comfort her. Also Cisco finally gets his meta human name, and E2 Wells is great.

33. Jackson M. says:

I’m not buying Barry and Patty, it’s coming off really forced. I’m not sure if it’s a chemistry issue or the resounding fact Barry will always be in love with Iris. I’m happy to watch Iris be a badass reporter and gun handler lol. It’s fun but I’m more set on Barry and Iris’ relationship than unoriginal love interests.

34. Sammy says:

I love this version of Harrison Wells so much! Tom C is amazing. Iris is a badass nearly every episode jumping off buildings, giving her mother some home truths and now shooting the mask off Dr Light. Fantastic!

Also Barry/Iris were perfect with their moment when he was blind. Can’t wait for those to get together! #Westallen

35. Briggs says:

I was disappointed that Caitlin/Jay didn’t happen, but the Barry/Patty kiss made up for it. :)
    I know it’s a bit of an about-face for me (though my indignation towards Lisa was half in jest), but I wasn’t too into the thing with Cisco and Kendra. Then I remember Hawkman and felt bad for Cisco. One is a criminal, the other has a past-life love. Poor guy can’t catch a break.

36. Christian says:

They are really out to make Jay quite the loser, no?

37. aura says:

I actually enjoyed this episode didn’t think id be uttering those words so soon after the mess that has been the setting up of LoT so far imo. I guess you can say no matter what incarnation Wells is the glue that keeps everything ticking, so glad to have him back. It was awesome to see Iris finally getting in on the action I hope this is the start of something new and not a one off. Also glad they decided to actually have her and Barry in scenes again, hey we know they are setting up Batty but I kept wondering why for the last 4 episodes they seemed to act like mere acquaintances. My darling Linda was an added bonus another wrong from season 1 they seem to be righting and the episode MVPs Cisco and Wells….Crisco that alone had me lmao.

In summary loved that Wells is finally on earth 1 and he’s arrived with plenty of shade and sas love it.
    Cisco finally being able to talk about being a meta
    Iris and Linda working together

Side eye –
    what’s with all the over the top oh look at us were so nerdy in our scientific nerd nerdiness we get it you guys have everything in common you will have a romance then for some contrived reason break up to make way for Barry and Iris. Just stop with the forced everything and relax and let things flow, also why am I not hearing anyone labelling Barry stupid, or oblivious to Patty liking him, when she is literally throwing herself at him and everyone else around him is telling him she’s crushing on him, but yet for most of season 1 Iris not knowing Barry had been in love with her for all his life seemed to bother folk so much they couldn’t stop writing about it and painting the character in a negative light because, then you have Patty literally showing up every where Barry is and its all ‘look at those cute nerds being nerdy’ but Ray was somehow stalking Felicity…OK.

Cait and Jay… WHY, she has just lost her husband yes she has had six months to grieve, so has Iris but it’s to soon for Iris to move on from Eddie….OK

Wells is back and all is right with the world I think we are finding our season 1 stride and this makes me happy now roll on ep 6.

38. Flick says:

If there’s something I really like about continuity on this show, is that even though Linda is Barry’s ex, she still shows up in scenes at Iris’ office! It’s like a little reminder like “Hey I still exist!” kinda thing, really really like it!

39. Linda/Iris friendship and Cisco! This is good stuff.
    Love seeing Iris be the hero!
    Earth 2 SL is good!
    I’m still waiting for the Patty/Barry story line to be over. I Enjoy the Bonding time between Iris & Barry and look forward to future Westallen The chemistry is natural and doesn’t seem forced like what we are getting with Patty/Barry.

40. Phoenix5634 says:

Ok so I have a question. What gave Zoom his powers? Like was he just hit by a lightening bolt like Barry? Or what event gave Zoom his apparently incredible speed, and the ability to steal another speedsters powers. And why is Zooms lightening blue? Is the blue just to give him his own colour? Or does the blue hint at whatever event gave him his powers ?

• You’re right to point out the blue lightning, Phoenix. In Flash lore, it signifies an evil speedster (Cobalt Blue) as do red lighting (Reverse Flash) and Black Lighting (Black Flash).

Geek out time: In the comics, Barry Allen has a twin brother at birth who ended up in the hands of criminal parents — THAWNES, to be specific. After an incompetent inebriated doctor killed their baby upon delivery, he then gave them one of Nora Allen’s twins to cover up for his mistake and told the Allens that unfortunately one of their twins died in childbirth. Since the doctor was an acquaintance of Henry Allen’s and he didn’t know he was secretly alcoholic, he took him at his word and the Allens carried on with their lives and their “surviving” son Barry.

As a result, Barry’s twin brother Malcolm grew up to be a criminal but was also somehow connected to the Speed Force due to both his twin brother’s connection and the Thawne family connection to it. He learned of Barry’s idealistic existence growing up and twistedly blamed him instead of his evil parents for his miserable life growing up and decided to become a villain and avenge himself upon Barry who in reality never did anything wrong to him as he didn’t even know he had a twin brother.

All this as a way of saying that there is credence to the idea that the TV show’s Zoom is actually Earth-2 Barry Allen, his twin brother, or even Eddie Thawne from either Earth-1 or Earth-2.

• Phoenix5634 says:

Wow nice thanks man, just gave me a lot to think on. So what is Malcolm Allens’ connection to the Thawne family ? I feel like the show could make Earth-2 Eddie Thawne be Zoom possibly, because last season Wells/Thawne (reverse flash) was from the future and said they’ll be fighting for centuries, but where’d his powers from from? It sounds like his powers were passed down in the family, I’m wondering if maybe Zoom isn’t like the reverse flashs’ ancestor, but in our current time. I do like the twin brother idea tho, just don’t know much as of yet about it.

• Because he was legally raised by a pair of evil Thawne’s as their actual son, Malcolm Allen is in fact a Thawne in name and status and carries on the tradition of being evil and fighting good speedsters despite not being a natural-born Thawne himself. The powers are passed down in the family, but hopefully the show will not resort to the somewhat cheesy “Blue Flame” of the comic books as the source of their power (hence the name Colbalt Blue after the color of the flame).

Malcolm believes that if he had been raised by the Allens instead, he would have had the good life that Barry did and been happy. He was jealous that Barry was a respected police scientist with a healthy life and he was a petty criminal with a miserable childhood who couldn’t rise in society above the rank of a lowly janitor even before they both gained their speed powers. Once they both get a hold of the Speed Force, all bets are off as far as he’s concerned. Malcolm also did eventually find the doctor who did the switch, got him to confess and then killed him out of rage.

It’s a good little plotline that touches on the whole “nature vs. nurture” concept — provided you can get past the overused “evil twin brother” trope — and falls squarely on the side of “nurture.” Being raised by good parents influenced Barry’s rise to heroism and being raised by criminals made Malcolm a villain.

41. Phoenix5634 says:

By the way, if Barry is apparently able to run faster than light, then he hasn’t even barely touched the extent of his powers…. So far we just seen him go like the speed of sound or in that area of speed, Mach speeds, but the speed of light which Wells said he can do, is like 500000 times faster than sound on earth(outside a vacuum) . He could circle the earth multiple times in just several seconds or so moving at light speed.

42. robandco says:

I am so glad Iris is rocking this season so far. Also that date between Patty and Barry was just so adorable. I know Patty is a bit over the top but they’ll adjust her character, they always do.
    The Vibe man, so cool. The show deserves much better ratings.