Scream Queens Recap

Scream Queens Recap: Gashes to Ashes

What began as an innocent seance on Tuesday’s Scream Queens quickly degenerated into a tea party — and the ghost of Chanel No. 2 had some serious spilling to do.

Chanel was reluctant to contact Ariana Grande’s character from beyond the grave, what with her being a “dumb, dead whore” and all, but she eventually agreed to play Ouiji with Nos. 3, 5 and 6, leading to a series of shocking post-mortal revelations.

Revelation No. 1: Chad is cheating! OK, this was technically only a surprise to Chanel, as everyone else on the planet is either aware of Chad’s indiscretions… or has been a willing participant in them. Chanel’s worst fear was confirmed when she caught her man in bed with an actual goat, but Chad was quick to explain that he was merely relaxing said goat so she would produce lactose-free milk for his bod. (Yeah, he was totally banging that goat.)

Then came revelation No. 2: Chanel is the killer! Chanel accused No. 2 of lying to sully her already-tarnished name, but because she hasn’t quite mastered the art of B.S.-ing as well as Chad, the other girls remained unconvinced.

This led to the third and final revelation: Chanel’s minions are plotting a deadly mutiny! Unfortunately for the Chanels, not only did No. 2 warn No. 1 of their treachery, thus stopping their plan dead in its tracks, but even if they had gone through with it, they would have failed spectacularly. (Their scheme was to put rat poison in her Prunex; not only would she survive ingesting it, but it would also make her skinnier.)

Elsewhere this week…

ONE MISSED CLUE | If there was any doubt in your mind that Gigi is in bed with the Red Devil(s), I assume her candid phone chat — in which she literally referred to her group as “murderers, hell-bent on revenge” — set you straight. And I guess I shouldn’t be too surprised that Wes isn’t suspicious about Gigi’s bizarro behavior; this is a guy who’s allowing his daughter to remain in a school where she’s literally being hunted down like an animal. He’s just… not smart.

AXE HUSBAND | Speaking of wackadoodles, let’s wrap up this recap with a discussion about Dean Munsch. When her cheating ex-husband turned up dead (and headless!) at his girlfriend’s apartment, she was thrown into a (very familiar-looking) insane asylum for reasons I couldn’t even begin to specify. After receiving a visit from junior detectives Pete and Grace, Dean Munsch put her own master plan — to frame her ex’s student-turned-lover for his murder — into action, and boy was it a success. (Spoiler alert: Munsch did it.)

Your thoughts on this week’s episode? Any new theories? Drop ’em all in a comment below.

1. Amber says:

Yes! I thought that was Briarcliff. So now the question is if Scream Queens is apart of the AHS universe or not.

2. Vic says:

Only four characters will survive that will continue for the next season. I think that would be Chanel, Dean Munsch, Grace and either Hester or Zayday. What do you think guys?

• ChrisGa says:

I think that the show won’t see a next season; the ratings are in the toilet big time(and I hate that because I find the show endlessly entertaining).

• Vic says:

Yes. I kinda agree with you. But i think the ratings is not that low. I mean compared to Pretty little liars today.. Scream Queens ratings were kinda decent to me

• Marco says:

You’re comparing a show in its SIXTH season (and on cable) to one in its FIRST (and on a major broadcast). Kinda different situations

• Cory says:

Since the last upfronts I’ve seen FOX say on three separate occasions that given the TV landscape today they will not be making any decisions on overnight ratings. I’m sure that’s more true for in-house productions, but if it stays above a 1.0, and unless all of FOX’s midseason stuff is more popular, SQ will almost certainly be renewed.

It could always grow season to season like AHS, especially if they just decide to make it totally like the AHS format rather than keeping a few characters.

• Lonmon says:

Either way several people will survive. Ryan has changed that number in interviews.

• Marco says:

I think that since Dean Munsch is now a killer, she will get her comeuppance.

3. This episode was really slow compared to the others, but that final shot with the Chanels looking to Zayday and Grace was divine.

4. Kevin says:

Was this episode paying homage to AHS or are the writers just resuing plot.
    not to mention the asylum idea, but also, the oujia board was used in coven, so was the idea of everyone killing the leader (supreme in coven, chanel number 1 in SQ); and also with ghosts warning them that their subordinates are killing them (spalding and here ariana grande)?

5. JJ says:

I liked tonight’s episode even tho it wasn’t the best. Had some character development and hilarious one-liners and zingers!!
    “Did you spill ketchup in the shape of an arrow on the floor?”
    “Did you see the movie?” “The movie Ouija? No. No one did.”

6. Lei says:

I know better than to look for logic in a Ryan Murphy show but, really, an actual goat?! I should clarify, i don’t actually watch the show anymore so I have no idea if what is being written here is factual or not.

7. Lucie says:

I hate to say it, because I raved about this show in the beginning, but the last couple of episodes have been a little boring, IMHO. There’s too much of the sorority schtick and not enough of the other characters.

8. robandco says:

I know it is an anthology series (well sort of), but I wonder if viewers will check out season 2 should there be one. The whole thing is entertaining but it’s a huge let down IMO.

9. LilAngel says:

the show should get rid of Grace and Pete and focus more on Hester, Chad and Chanel!

10. Chloé Jessica says:

Scream Queens 2 will star Emma Roberts as Chanel Oberlin, who will fight against the system and see to it that she is released to be awarded the highest honours for the torment she has undergone and not only Kill Hester in the first episode, but escape to seek justice for her fellow #Chanels #number3 and #libbyputneyffs