Daylight Saving Time 2015

Time Travel on TV: Supernatural, Flash, Once, Trek and More Favorite Episodes

Did you remember to set your clocks back before you went to bed last night?

Oh, who are we kidding? It’s 2015, and that’s all taken care of for us now. (Thanks, technology!)

With all that extra time you saved from not adjusting your clocks, why not take a gander at some of TVLine’s favorite time travel episodes? We know there are about a million of them out there, but these nine installments hold a special place in our hearts, for better (Supernatural!) or for worse (Family Matters?).

Click through the gallery below to see nine of our favorite — not necessarily “best” — time travel episodes in honor of Daylight Saving Time (note: we glazed over shows, like Doctor Who, where time travel is an everyday occurrence) then drop a comment with your own.

1. ChellemaBelle says:

And nearly every episode of Doctor Who… :)

2. ninamags says:

I love all the Supernatural episodes where they travel back in time. “Frontierland” was awesome, so was the one with Elliott Ness. Jensen looked amazing in that fedora.

3. You could easily have collected the eight best from the Star Trek franchise alone, particularly the “Trials and Tribble-ations” ST: Deep Space Nine episode where they actually revisited the Original Series episode, and ST: The Next Generation’s “Yesterday’s Enterprise.” To say nothing of “City on the Edge of Forever,” which was probably the best of any Original Series episode.

4. Mr. Tran K says:

OUAT and The Flash were the best.

5. Vari says:

Doctor Who is like every episode.
    I love the season 3 finale episode of OUAT. Emma and Hook going back in time and their romance.

6. Steven says:

I love all these gallerys that include Charmed! Great episode. One of my all time favorites.

7. Linda says:

That was always one of my favorite ones of Charmed. I also liked the Supernatural episodes when Henry Winchester travels forward to his grandsons in ‘As Time Goes By’ and when Sam and Dean both travel back to the 70’s to stop Anna in ‘The Song Remains the Same’.

• wgsecretary says:

I was going to mention both of those Supernatural episodes! I love all of their time travel episodes. I think they need to do an alternate reality list next. The French Mistake would be my number one on that list.

8. heather says:

Bones 200th

9. grazelled says:

No Lost episodes like the Constant? One of my favorites, great love story between Penny and Desmond, their epic struggle to beat whatever stood between. Nothing could keep them apart, time, distance, storms, injury, nothing.

10. DarkDefender says:

Every episode of Quantum Leap.

11. KayCeeCee says:

That Star Trek episode was one of the best. That scene when Kirk held Bones back was so powerful. Good choice!

• Shar says:

Long before William Shatner became a bit of a punch line, he and Leonard Nimoy portrayed a bromance for the ages with both actors giving amazing performances. The episode still holds up with a strong message.

12. Mary says:

I’ve seen only four of these, but only liked three of the four I’ve seen – The Flash was great. The Charmed episode is actually the first I watched of the show and I liked it. I also liked their Halloween time travel episode in the third season that actually had Piper helping to deliver the ancestor who was the start of their magical line, Melinda Warren, as Prue and Phoebe protected them from Cole and the other bad guys. Don’t think anything will ever top Star Trek’s City on the Edge of Forever. I’d prefer to forget the crappy third season finale of OUAT.

13. Simon Jester says:

Can’t believe the X-Files episode “Triangle,” where Mulder finds himself on s ship transported back to the beginning of WWII, was omitted in favor of a pretty average episode of The Flash.

• ninamags says:

That was a great episode as well. Had forgotten about it completely.

• I would choose Monday, the episode where Mulder and Scully are stuck in a time loop but don’t know it, and a stranger has to figure out how to get them out of it, over Triangle, for favorite X Files time travel ep, but yes, I think X Files should be on this list as well.

14. evababy says:

Sleepy Hollow S2 finale when Abbie goes back in time, meets Crane who now doesn’t know her and it is a great callback to the Pilot.

Also on Eureka when they go back to the 40s and meet the founder of the town.

• Simon Jester says:

You’re right, that episode deserves a mention — if only for the added frisson of a black character traveling to a period in US history when she would have been regarded as an escaped slave…

15. KM says:

I loved Smallville´s Homecoming
    every episode from charmed, especially the one from season 8 with the triade
    and every episode from supernatural

16. “Snow Drifts”/”There’s No Place Like Home” are my two favorite OUAT episodes ever, all the callbacks to “Back to the Future” and that romantic dance, and the adventure alongside Snowing… it was indeed like watching a movie starred by my favorite couple of all time

17. lrdslvrhnd says:

Ohhh, the editing! The editing!
    “Following a delusion McCoy…”
    “Topanga finds a portal in her closet that reminders her of…”
    Looks like you need to find a time traveling machine yourself *g*
    Also, there were a couple eps of Phineas & Ferb that involved time travel that were brilliant, most notably “Phineas & Ferb’s Quantum Boogaloo” where they go to the future and meet a 35-yo Candace, who finally manages to bust them.

18. Mark says:

I prefer the Family Guy time travel episode “Meet the Quagmires” where Peter travels back in time and ends up married to Molly Ringwald.

That episode of Family Matters featured 3D. My younger self was very excited that night. Every TGIF show had a 3D element even America’s Funniest Home Videos.

19. John Jones says:

Roswell – The End of the World. Very sad, beautiful espisode.

20. Joey says:

Ahem, what is quite possibly one of the best Futurama episodes (sorry Jurassic Bark and Luck of the Fryrish, you make me cry too much), Roswell That Ends Well?

21. Karen MT says:

Since you have one cartoon in here, I have to give a shoutout to Sealab 2021’s “Lost in Time”, which has one really odd time loop that just got crazier and crazier as it went on.

22. matty says:

I can’t pick a specific episode but I would mention the final season of “Felicity” which had a substantial time travel element to it.

Also, One Life To Live’s journey back to the 1960’s where Bo and Rex travel back in time was very well done.

• Sarah O says:

OLTL had a lot of humor, I rarely watched it except over the holidays at my parents’ house years ago, but that was when wacky things would happen like time travel, or discussion of the characters favorite soap characters.

• grazelled says:

The one they did with Bo and Rex was good but I love the original time travel story they did with Clint, Vicky, and Vicky’s ancestor in the 1880’s old west. Had a good time watching it on youtube recently.

23. Sarah O says:

Stargate SG1 1969 episode is one of my all time fav funny episodes of any show, loved it when SG1 end up in 1969, dress like hippies, reference Star Trek, etc.

• Chelsea says:

Agree wholeheartedly. 1969 is one of the best and definitely one of my all time favorites as well. “The war with Canada, indeed”!

24. NJMark says:

While many will insist that The Simpsons did everything first, their “butterfly effect” bit was a nod to Ray Bradbury’s “A Sound of Thunder” from 1952.

25. I remember some of the writers on this site being Fringe fans, so I am surprised you didn’t put White Tulip on this list. One of the best episodes of that show and it has a brilliant time travel story that connects perfectly with what is going on with Walter Bishop and really tugs at the heartstrings.

As far as time travel themed shows go, I think U.K. Life on Mars and its sequel Ashes to Ashes are two of the best.