Jason Thompson Joins Y&R

Jason Thompson Exits General Hospital

One of General Hospitals docs is clocking out.

Jason Thompson, who plays Dr. Patrick Drake, is leaving the ABC daytime soap after 10 years, the actor announced Friday on Instagram.

“It was not an easy decision but I feel like it’s time to hang up Dr. Patrick Drake’s white coat and scrubs,” the actor wrote, giving thanks to his bosses and the fans who “changed my life.”

Read Thompson’s full statement below:

1. Mare says:

I wonder if they will ask Kimberly McCullough back to help facilitate his exit?

• lll says:

Kimberly is coming back to GH, but I don’t know if she and Patrick will leave together.

• Jennifer says:

she is coming back, it was already announced a few days ago.

• creativebugger1 says:

She’s coming back short term, along with her father. The assumption is that she is there for his exit storyline.

• RJ says:

Woah! Are you sure KM is coming back with her father, the great Robert Scorpio? I hope he comes back long term if this is true.

• creativebugger1 says:

Robert Scorpio is coming back on a temporary basis only. His return has already been confirmed by TPTB.

• AngieD says:

Yes, Tristan Rogers is reprising his role as Robert Scorpio. I assume that he will be helping Anna get over her guilt about killing Carlos.

• Anna says:

I know they haven’t resolved all their problems, and she did kinda choose saving Jason over her family, but I really hope Kimberly’s coming back to bring Patrick and Emma to live with her in Paris. A happy ending with Scrubs getting back together would be beyond wonderful.

2. Miffy says:

Yeah – good luck, pal. You’ll be back within two years, if the show even lasts that long.

3. N says:

I love Patrick!

4. silkyfine49 says:

I will miss u Jason (Patrick) to me you’ll always be part of the GH family, and good luck to you, stay Sexy u heartthrob

5. BrightLight says:

I heard rumors weeks ago, but hoped it wasn’t true. Although any viewer should have expected this since his character has basically been reduced to nothing in the past year. The new rumors are that Y&R is courting him to play Billy Abbott (which would be kinda funny since the old Billy Abbott is now Jason) and that DOOL wants him to play EJ DiMera. If I had to pick, I’d rather him play Billy than EJ.

• greatRN60 says:

One less reason for me to watch GH. As poor as his storylines have been, J.T. has always been a joy to watch. I am hoping he eventually gets a primetime gig. It’s strange, GH use to be about the doctors and nurses. It’s a shame Jason Thompson’s talent was placed in the backburner for so long.

• Jbj says:

It’s even funnier that Billy A/M was also his Emmy foil. Personally, I’d prefer him to go primetime over stepping into a recast. He has a great look for period shows, like Masters of Sex.

6. Clandestine Green says:

I fear that GH is on its last legs. RC and his frenetic story telling destroyed it and now the show seems to be embracing the Guza maffia world of Sonny Corinthos. It is really without direction now.

• Luke says:

Ron SAVED General Hospital. Quit blaming stuff on him. They have new writers… Give them a chance. When Ron came aboard the show was getting cancelled. He stopped it from happening. Now it’s up to the new writers to continue his original legacy.

7. Lucy DeMarco says:

Well, you know he’s headed somewhere else. He’s quite talented. Will miss him terribly–but who can blame him. Misguided ABC execs are turning GH back into Guza Mob Central. A few more weeks of Sonny time & lots of viewers will be exiting along with Jason T.

8. grazelled says:

There aren’t any contract actors playing doctors on GH anymore. I wish JT all the best but he’ll be missed on GH.

9. Shannon says:

Well, the true identity of Jake Doe is coming up. Finally, everyone will find out that is really Jason Morgan. The reason why they’re bringing back Robin Scorpio, is because she will reveal the identity of Jake Doe. Once he realized who he is, he will break it off with Elizabeth and return to Sam and Danny. And once that happens, then what about Patrick Drake? He will be the one that is crushed. Just like he did to Sabrina Santiago on their wedding day. KARMA. But then what? Once Robin goes off again, and since Jason Thompson is leaving GH, then his altar ego Patrick Drake might as well go away too with Robin. And they will take Emma with them too.

10. kim says:

I am not upset tht Jason is leaving general Hospital, quite the opposite, he became one of the few characters tht I couldn’t stand, because of his possesive jealousy and huge hate towards jason. I’m really happy tht Patrick is exiting the canvas, finally he will feel wht sabrina felt when he DUMPED her on her wedding day, they were never a perfect match. And Patrick forgot about Gabriel, he never talked about him, as if he never existed. I’m excited tht McCullough is coming back, he and robin can ride off into the sunset as it was meant to be. Like I said, Patrick became an arrogant jerk, an ass, possessive and obsessive, and his hate towards Jason is disturbing. Goodbye Patrick and no more patrina, I actually came to know a certain woman who was obsessed with patrina I honestly can’t wait to laugh in her face, she actually had high hopes tht patrina was going to get back together yuck. Everyone knows Patrick and robin r meant to be. #scrubs

• Susannah says:

Why wouldn’t a doctor who saves lives for a living hate Jason, a murdering hitman and member of the mob? Why should anyone have good feelings towards Jason or Sonny? It’s why I stopped watching GH, the worship or these thugs and murderers as if they were the town heroes.

• matty says:

Me too Susannah. I stopped watching GH for the same reasons!

• jakis says:

Exactly. Mob Central and the emphasis on Sonny/Jason/Carly pushed me away completely. Since they’ve been bringing back some of my favorites like Anna and Laura, I’ve tuned in to see what they’re doing, but they’re hardly ever on and it’s all MOB MOB again. Ugh,

• deedee M says:

Really? Newsflash! This is fiction!!! He is portraying a role. I’m glad he’s leaving, because his storyline was so good with Sam! I don’t like the idea of Sam rekindling a relationship with this new Jason. Argh#!

11. KayCeeCee says:

I hope that he can find a Primetime gig.

12. Eric7740 says:

NO!!!!! I love Patrick!!!

13. Jessi says:

I don’t even understand why…Your character is developing into huge story lines. Why would producers or whomever let him go. Give the man more money. To leave a show he’s been on for so long to go to another soap…It doesn’t make sense…Something doesn’t sound right. My opinion.

• Whatever says:

What? Patrick hasn’t had a huge story line in ages. Maybe he wants to do something other than a soap.

• Anna says:

Patrick is just a background character in the Jason-Liz-Sam drama at this point. He hasn’t had a real storyline since he was divorcing Robin after Gabriel died. Waste of his talent.

14. matty says:

I really think this role could and should be recast.

15. Connie says:

Good luck jt I will miss you I watch gh a lot but you will be miss. connie

16. Blue Eyes says:

Please don’t go!!! Love your character!

17. Lee says:

Bye. He wanted out of the Patrina story line so he could work with KM and they gave it to him. Then when they didn’t need Patrick to prop Sam anymore just like Silas he’s out the door.

18. Susan says:

‘Patrick’ will probably leave town when Sam runs back to Jason.

19. Iam sad that Jason (Patrick) is leaving. But I’m more sad that little Emma will be leaving too then. Unless they recast Patrick.

• Dana V. says:

Exactly. We, too, will miss Emma. Such a beautiful, sweet, and gifted little girl. Sad most aren’t even mentioning her. Very sad. :(

20. Peg says:

I won”t shed any tears when he leaves.

21. aph1976 says:

I’m sad by this news but i can understand Jason Thompson wanting to leave because he’s been on GH for 10 years.Plus i think Kimberly McCullough agreed to come back to help Jason Thompson leave and so Patrick and Robin could leave together

22. Pamela W. says:

I can’t say how sad I am to hear of Jason’s departure from GH. But there won’t be much to do with his character once the Jason Morgan storyline breaks open. I think I’m going to miss his scenes with Emma the most. Brooklyn is the best child actor I’ve seen in years.

Good luck, Jason. May your future endeavors lead to bigger & better opportunities. You have what it takes to make in on “the big screen,” I’m sure. So go give Bradley Cooper a run for his money! I look forward to seeing you on TV or in the movies!

23. Amanda duet says:

I know I will miss ur character Dr. Patrick Drake. I have watch General Hospital since I was 12 I’m now 29. An I can remember when u character came on the show. I feel in love with Dr . Drake an I’m sad to see u go. But I wish u all the best on ur next adventure on life. Thanks for 10 years Jason.

24. Bella says:

Let us know where you are going..we will follow..

25. Jackie says:

Wish you were not going, but all good actors need to move on and see whats out there for them.hope you will come back soon.

26. Joye Roberts says:

you will be missed but wish you lots of luck in your new adventures, hope someday you will come back to GH. GOOD LUCK

27. Meria Jéanfreaux says:

Sorry you’re leaving young man. I, must say your character has been put through too much sadness instead of s loving family man. This would make me angry with the writers. I’ve been loving you with Sam but; then again another heartbreak! I’m praying your next job will be a much better than the way GH has treated you! You’re A Gorgeous young Man! I, pray you go high in the next project comes your way! I’ll miss You! Good Luck, Meria

28. Toni Deaver says:

I was just telling my hubby that you are one of my fav. actors on the show, I’ve watched since a muchkin at the feet of my nanny. You will be missed. I wish you every success in your future endeavors.

29. I am so sorry to hear that Jason Thompson is leaving.
    He’s a wonderful actor… I will truly miss him.
    I have being watching GH for the past 30yrs.
    What’s happening to the writers they’re getting bad to worst. All the story lines are about the MOB!!!
    All my favorite characters are go.
    Good luck Jason

30. Dee says:

I wish Jason well, It should be interesting how he will play Billy on Y&R. He will be missed. I just wonder what will happen to Emma, will we lose her too. Emma is an awesome actress.

31. Janie Trevino says:

Sad to see Jason Thompson leave he is just great but best wishes to him in whatever he he does next. Love that Robert Scorpio is coming back even if it’s short term. I also hope Jason & Sam get back together and good bye Elizabeth!

32. Gina Lee says:

Well, I am so sorry to see Jason Thompson leave GH. He will truly be missed. It surely would be nice to see Patrick and Robin back together with Emma as a family and maybe they can oft to Paris to start a new life.

33. Natasha says:

You are a wonderful actor and your portrayal of Patrick has been most enjoyable to watch. You bring such emotion to the character and I cry with you, OMG! I have been so sad for Patrick and now that theres a chance he and Robin could finally be a family… You’re leaving. Im very sad about that but I wish you well. Nothing but happiness and steady, fulfilling work wished upon you in 2016! You will be forever loved and missed. #GH #Patrobin

• Gina lee says:

Jason you will truly be missed. I’ve watched you grow as Playboy love them and leave guy to a loving but yet passionate Doctor and the love of Robin’s life and family man. Good luck in all you do and many successes.

34. ROSETTA HEWING HEWING says:

Wow, I am so sad but HAPPY for you, it’s been a pleasure watching you and forever wanting Patrick & Robin to be together again…best wishes.

35. Jeani says:

Another one of my faves going! Not sure if I will continue watching!

• Gina Lee says:

Don’t stop watching. Yes , he will truly be missed but we have to start getting use to the idea of a new Patrick plus these plots are thickening. Jason like I said love you dude. Good luck in al your endeavors. I know you will be a force to be reakon with on The Young and the Restless as Billy Abbott.

36. Dyan says:

You will be missed greatly. Your acting, especially in your most dramatic scenes were so touching. Best of luck to you!

37. hope5775 says:

YOU WILL BE MISSED!!! GOOD LUCK in YOUR FUTURE TRAVELS!!!

GODSPEED!!!

38. P.S. Foley says:

I’m retired now & I so look forward to my
    3 o’clock treat of seeing the cast of
    General Hospital everyday. I hate when
    Some cast members leave, but I wish
    Them well. I don’t know any other
    Show where the actors are so professional & believeable. And, the
    Writers know when not to push the
    Envelope too far.And, I always pick up
    On the Irish touches Ha! Hope Dr.Drake
    Will reinvent himself,he deserves the
    Best.

39. margaret says:

Very sorry to see you leave. Wish you would have stayed.

Best of luck

40. It is bittersweet to see you go and I am amazed you stayed so long. Loved the way Kimberly was brought back. Y&R here I come….!

41. Ruth says:

You are an amazing & gifted actor and artist. You will certainly be missed, yet, only the best is wished for you & your future endeavors. May The Good Lord continue to bless you & yours abundantly.

42. la says:

We will miss you! You came into my life everyday

43. Drinda Patterson says:

He’salready on another soap, the same one Hason went to.