Sleepy Hollow Ratings

Ratings: Bones, Sleepy Hollow Both Enjoy Crossover Boost

General Howe may not have been the only resurrection this Thursday night.

As part of the Bones crossover event, Fox’s Sleepy Hollow this week rebounded from series lows with 4.6 million total viewers and a 1.1 rating (per finals), surging 53 and 38 percent to net its largest audience in almost a year and a season high the demo.

Leading off the mash-up, Bones (6.6 mil/1.3) rose 12 percent and two tenths to its biggest audience in over a year and tying a season high in the demo.

Elsewhere in the ratings….

NBC | Heroes Reborn (4 mil/1.0) dipped a tenth, The Blacklist (7 mil/1.5) ticked up a tenth and the criminally underappreciated The Player (3.9 mil/0.7) was steady.

THE CW | Vampire Diaries (1.24 mil/0.4) was flat, The Originals (1.1 mil/0.4)  ticked down.

ABC | Leading out of a Charlie Brown special (6.5 mil/1.7), Scandal (7.8 mil/2.3) was down a tenth while HTGAWM (6.3 mil/1.8) slipped 7 percent and two tenths to new series lows.

CBS | The Eye’s Thursday Night Football finale (16.7 mil/5.6) ticked up from last week’s CBS+NFL Network finals.

1. Win says:

I have enjoyed the last 2 episodes of The Player as much as I enjoyed the pilot. While I know it’s not for everyone, I do think it’s underappreciated. Part of it for me is that Wesley Snipes needed to step out from behind the table [more] as the Dealer.

• Ellinas1978 says:

Well if episodes 2-4 are boring and people stop watching that’s what happens. Best case scenario is you keep it in your DVR to watch it while fast forwarding to the parts about the underlying story. That’s what I’m doing, and now that it’s cancelled/trimmed whatever you want to call it there, you just hope they wrap up the underlying mystery.

• Win says:

Absolutely/of course, and it is up to the writers/producers/actors/networks, etc… to make the best show possible in the hope it clicks with the number and/or type(s) of viewers that will keep it going. I guess I’m advocating hanging in there longer in general. Yes, most viewers’ time is their own/they have a right to drop out anytime for any reason, and I certainly hope most people are enjoying the ways they spend their time. I almost dropped out of watching Penny Dreadful for “boring” and I’m glad I hung in there. There are many who say select episodes of The Wire and Breaking Bad drag, but there’s a payoff. I’ve been disappointed by most, if not all of the Fall 2015 new TV recruits. I am by no means comparing The Player (I wouldn’t say I’m heartbroken about the shortened season – it’s one more hour/43 mins I can use for other things I enjoy – or that it came unexpectedly) to any of the other shows I mentioned, but I’ve really found so many shows I truly enjoy by giving more time for the show/writers to find the tone/groove/material that can make a show good or even excellent.

2. heather says:

As usual the second part of the crossover benefits more than the first part….but I guess that was Fox’s intention to spike Sleepy…so job done.

• Ellinas1978 says:

Usually the second show has lower ratings so of course what you say holds true. Spiking ratings for one week won’t mean much in the long run though.

• Zayne says:

I hope it gets some more consistent eyeballs though because despite all my reservations, this season of Sleepy Hollow has been a creative resurgence for the show. I enjoy it immensely and want it to stick around.

• JB says:

Agreed!! I could barely watch last season and let 6 episodes build up on my DVR, not even watching them until late summer. But this season has been surprisingly really good. Without Henry and Katrina things are a bit more like the first season.

3. Boiler says:

Very pleasantly surprised at the Bones uptick. Although I don’t watch Sleepy Hollow I thought it would benefit more. Hopefully Bones keeps it up. Look forward to Elementary coming back next week and 2 Broke Girls the week after

• LILY says:

I think it might go down a bit from now on since TBBT is back to Thursdays starting next week.

• kmw says:

Yes their numbers are good all things considered, but unfortunately TBBT is coming back and its going to eat their demo number and their HH numbers. If TBBT doesn’t hurt them a lot THEN I will be surprised. I don’t watch Sleepy Hollow either but it got a huge uptick from where its been but I also don’t see that lasting

4. Mr. Tran K says:

Can’t wait for CBS’ Thursday night line-up to return next week and it’s a good thing that 2 Broke Girls is now moving to a new night and time (Thursdays at 9:30 pm) beginning November 12th. NBC did OK in my opinion and it’s going to be really sad for The Player now that is down to the final three episodes (end date: November 19th) but I think it’s number 1 as the new Fall show people really missed the most.

5. Angela says:

Woo for the boost to the ratings for “Sleepy Hollow”!

6. LILY says:

Well the crossover certainly accomplished its objective – give SH a boost.

7. Ramon says:

Maybe Bones should always cross over with Sleepy Hollow then. No disrespect intended as I love both shows but in the latter’s case, SH could be pulling in 4.6mil a night if FOX had given it the proper promotion and not the week before Season 3 aired. So many didn’t even know it was back and probably still don’t! But anyway, I loved the Abbie and Seely scenes. Nicole Beharie would have chemistry with an empty paint can, that’s just how fantastic she is.

• LILY says:

They didn’t start promoting Bones S11 until a week before the premiere either – both shows got combo promos. AND Bones ended with a finale that left a lot of people wondering if that was the series finale (because it could have been but luckily Fox renewed in the end) so I was upset that Fox didn’t promote them more, and then I was surprised to see Bones to do as well as they did with its premiere

8. Nikki Adlington says:

Don’t get why HTGAWM ratings keep dropping, I’m loving s2 as much as ever!

• Gerald says:

True. Although I didn’t care for the case of the week this week.

• Nikki Adlington says:

Ah not watched this week’s yet. Hope the rest of the ep makes up for it if the case of the week isn’t so good then and that it doesn’t turn off even more people next week!

9. F.G. says:

Thank you Matt for saying The Player is “criminally underappreciated”. Lord knows that is the truth and it is a shame that NBC did not give it a chance. Putting it against football in my opinion was a dumb move since those are the type of viewers a show like The Player would attract.

10. Mo says:

I’m so happy that I am not the only one who likes The Player. I hope NBC rethinks their decision on this show. I started watching Strike Back because I liked the lead so much.

• F.G. says:

Mo you are not the only one. It is a really good show it great characters, I’m just sorry it wasn’t really given a chance.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

The past few weeks have been so good. We’ll be talking about that in today’s TV Questions column.

• Carla Krae says:

Yes, the show has only been improving, which a season 1 is supposed to do. Stupid short-sighted NBC.

• Imagecrafters says:

Why can’t NBC give it time to develop? I love the Player. Netflix anyone? It’s a good show. We started to watch that & Blindspot because of the Strikeback guys

11. Coach Taylor says:

Fearing that after its winter break that HTGAWM will simply be in the 5 million and 1.3 category. The question is does a show like this need to have a typical “series” ending if not renewed

12. herman1959 says:

No surprise about the bump for SH; it was the best episode of the season.

13. Ellinas1978 says:

Maybe How to get Away with Murder wants to consider the stand alone seasons format. Keep Viola Davis and switch up. Clearly people have grown tired of it.

14. Shaun says:

The crossover was barely there on SH,they didn’t even see any dead soldiers XD

• tvjunkie says:

That was the only way they could avoid introducing any supernatural elements to the Bones universe, minimize the usage of Bones characters on SH.

15. kmw says:

Good that Sleepy Hollow got a boost from crossover. It did a little better than I thought. Good for Bones as well but that boost is going to be a short one( TBBT is coming back next week). Nice that The Blacklist ticked up and too bad for HTGAWM. Their numbers keep on dropping

16. Lynn says:

Gave. Up on HTGAWM last season. Even Viola Davis isn’t enough to put up with the bad writing and boring other characters. Also gave up on Sleepy Hollow last year. People say it’s better this year but it’s too little too late for me and apparently a lot of other people.

17. moi says:

Great way to mesh both series… just totally loved it.