13 Reasons Why Netflix

Selena Gomez's 13 Reasons Why Gets Straight-to-Series Order From Netflix

More than three years after wrapping her long-running Disney Channel series Wizards of Waverly Place, Selena Gomez is turning her attention back to the small screen.

Netflix has given a 13-episode, straight-to-series order to 13 Reasons Why, based on the 2007 young-adult novel by Jay Asher, our sister publication Variety reports. Gomez is executive-producing the project, along with mom Mandy Teefey, Kristel Laiblin and Anonymous Content. The pilot was written by series creator Brian Yorkey.

The complicated plot of 13 Reasons Why begins with Clay, an introverted high-school student, receiving a box of cassette tapes recorded by his crush (reportedly played by Gomez) who recently committed suicide.

Will you be tuning in? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. InfiniteMoments says:

I can’t wait! OMG!

2. N says:

Loved that book. What happened to the movie? Well at least it’s on Netflix

• Megan says:

+N:Iam wondering if they did not have enough money to make a movie and only had enough money to make a tv series with 13 epsoides in it for Netflix so fans could see it faster then whenever the movie was originally going to come out if they made the movie.

3. Cody says:

She should do another comedy, she was hilarious on Wizards of Waverly Place

4. OMGGG huge news! I thought any semblance of this project died in development hell years ago. I remember reading this book my freshman year of high school and being stoked when I heard Selena was starring in the film adaptation (I’m now a freshman in college). I’m glad she’s still attached to it now that it has transitioned to a series instead.

5. Felicia says:

Omg, yay!!!! I love selena :D

6. Ellinas1978 says:

Seems Netflix set a high number for original content and will do everything it can to meet it. Quantity vs. quality…

7. BB says:

Absolutely LOVED this book when I read it in high school. Don’t really think the story could be/should be stretched out to 13 episodes though. A 2 hour movie would have been sufficient.

8. zac says:

THe book was really good. I was waiting for more news regarding the movie adaptation but I see they’ve chosen the TV route.

9. Dean says:

Isnt she a little young to be an executive producer?

• Megan says:

+Dean:No she is 23 years old her birthday is July 22 1992! She was the excutive producer for the Wizards return Alex vs Alex movie for wizards of waverly place.so no she is not too young to be an excutive producer.

10. Dude says:

I found the book really mediocre but I love Selena and I’m glad she’s finally getting the chance to bring this adaptation to life.

11. A-C says:

This is great, and 13 episodes means they can make one episode a tape which is perfect!