Bones Sleepy Hollow Crossover

Bones/Sleepy Hollow Crossover Recap, Part 2: It's All Greek Fire to Me

The Bones/Sleepy Hollow crossover, like any TV “event,” was one heck of a trick to pull off. Good thing it was also — particularly its second hour — quite the treat.

The Sleepy side of Fox’s Halloween-themed evening was a solid episode that entertained, stayed true to its characters, caused a few laughs and even managed to forward the season’s overarching story. What more could a Hollow heart want? (Well, maybe Ichabod in a slightly more inventive costume…)

Let’s put it in the sweet terms of this holiday season: The crossover was a full-size Twix bar in a situation where we would’ve been happy with a fun size 100 Grand and would’ve accepted anything above a mystery flavor Dum-Dum.

So without further ado, let’s hit the highlights of “Dead Men Tell No Tales.” (To read our recap of Hour 1, click here.)

NO BONES ABOUT IT | Pandora intercepts Gen. Howe’s bones, which are on their way from Bones‘ Jeffersonian to Sleepy Hollow. After disposing of the driver, she opens the coffin and tosses a medallion onto Howe’s ribcage. “Eternal rest is for unimportant men,” she breathes as the general slowly becomes covered with desiccated flesh and eventually sits up. “I offer you vengeance on a hated enemy who once tries to end your life,” Pandora says. “Craaaaaaane!” the reanimated Howe says.

At that very moment, Team WTF is bowling, in costume, on Halloween, and it’s pretty great. Jenny is a Canadian Mountie, a fun nod to Lyndie Greenwood’s nationality. Joe is a bloody doctor. Abbie is “Flawless” video Beyoncé (or “Abbeyoncé,” as my colleague Matt Mitovich coined her). And Ichabod is… “John Adams!” he says, incredulous that no one is able to guess based on his waistcoat and buttons.

Truth be told, he just looks like Ichabod wearing a vest. But Crane’s ego is soothed when Zoe, dressed as Betsy Ross (aka “hoop dreams,” per Abbie), immediately picks up on the Adams vibe. Ich is just returning to his friends — I love Jenny’s “Swagger!” comment — when his phone chimes with the news that Howe’s body never arrived.

CRYPT CREEPERS | So the Witnesses ditch their costumes and go on a hunt that eventually leads them to a mausoleum filled with the bones of British soldiers. While they walk through the darkened halls, she teases him about his hesitance in asking Zoe out on a date and brings up the fact that he might be afraid of having his heart broken all over again. They speak quietly, dare I say intimately?, their faces partially hidden by the shadows; the short exchange is Ichabod and Abbie at their best. Too bad it’s interrupted by one of Howe’s newly raised zombie soldiers tossing a dead teenager at their feet.

Abs and Ich eventually escape the decomposing horde; back at the archives, Crane lets her know that George Washington once sent him to kill Howe, but “I failed in my mission” and the invasion of Manhattan continued the way we now know it. But with Mills’ coaching, Crane remembers a medallion Howe was fondling at the time of his botched killjob, and that leads them to learn that the way to defeat Howe and his army of the undead lies in his first burial site. But where was that?

Bones Sleepy Hollow Crossover Time for some help from Booth and Brennan! Ichabod and Abbie drive a small sampling of Howe’s bones down to the Jeffersonian, where Brennan finds that the general was originally interred in a tomb underneath the Capitol building. (There’s a fun moment where Brennan shocks Ichabod by talking about sex with Booth — again — and now it’s Crane’s turn to give her the squirrel eye (photo at right).

ALL FIRED UP | Even though little Christine’s Jane Goodall costume isn’t quite done, her folks can’t resist tagging along as Abbie and Ichabod hit up the Capitol for some zombie-killing intel. So, field trip! Crane’s Masonic ring helps them gain access to a secret room that contains Howe’s original crypt… and then a wall crashes down, cutting Abbie and Booth off from Crane and Brennan. Oh, and there’s “Greek fire” aka napalm about to rain down on them from the ceiling.

Booth shoots the lock, which frees Brennan and Ichabod, and the entire experience leaves Brennan anthropologically geeking out about how much there is to learn from the secret chambers. Abbie thinks that the forensic pathologist’s glee will get in their way, but Crane isn’t worried. “Her skepticism is interminable,” he says. “She’d dismiss Moloch as a tall man with a skin condition.” (Ha!)

TRICK-OR-BOOM! | Back in Sleepy Hollow, Howe and Pandora (is that monstrous look her true face?) roam the streets on Halloween, with him assembling his nocturnal cadre just after dusk. Everyone thinks they’re some kind of “Thriller” dance flash mob or something until the soldiers prepare to fire… and are thwarted by Abbie and Ichabod pulling the car right in front of them. There are fights and chases, and eventually Ichabod leads Howe and the zombies down into the tunnels, where Joe and Jenny — and eventually Abs, when she catches up — blast them with shots of Greek fire, the same way Betsy Ross stopped them during the invasion of New York.

Finally, it’s just Crane and Howe, but the general won’t give Ichabod the satisfaction of killing him. Calling Crane a “turncoat,” the dead baddie willingly steps into a wall of Greek fire and crisps himself right outta existence. I know he’s a terrible creature, but you’ve gotta give him a little respect for being such a badass, no?

After a little Skype wrap-up with Booth and Brennan, Abbie gives her fellow Witness a little push, and he takes it: He nervously flaps his hands, calls Zoe and asks her to dinner.

WAS CORBIN IN CAHOOTS WITH…? | Abbie’s ending? Not so happy. After being called into Daniel’s office thinking she’s officially getting asked to be a task force leader on a huge takedown, she is instead made to answer for some surveillance photos of her sister and Joe talking to Sophie, the shady lady from whom they recovered the Shard of Anubis. Sophie’s boss, Atticus Nevins, turns out to have been one of August Corbin’s war buddies and a black market agent buying up illicit items from abroad — which has put him on Daniel’s radar. So Jenny and Joe end the episode with Sophie trying to get them a sit-down with her superior, and Abbie ends up getting a dressing-down from hers.

Now it’s your turn. What did you think of the episode? What did you think of the evening altogether? Grade the crossover as a whole via the poll below, then hit the comments to back up your pick.

1. suzi says:

I thought the crossover worked very well, with the best elements of both shows shining throughout in a seamless, believable fashion. No shark-jumping here, just enjoyable entertainment. IMO, of course…

2. Lysh says:

I loved it. It worked. It was great to see Abbie being an FBI agent on her own and Ichabod and Brennan were great together. I think I liked the Bones portion better, just because we got to see Abbie and Ichabod out of Sleepy Hollow and interacting with the Bones crew, but they were both pretty solid.

3. Angela says:

The costumed bowling expedition the four were having was awesome. I wanna do that, too :D! I loved their costumes. Maybe next year Abbie can convince Ichabod to do a little more modern costume :p. I also chuckled at her teasing him about Zoe (and oh, she’s dressed like Betsy. How appropriate…). I still wonder about my suspicions regarding Zoe, but that ending with Ichabod asking her to dinner was still rather cute and sweet.
    The zombie army showdown was pretty bad*ss :D. And I liked the whole thing of Bones and Ichabod being trapped, and Abbie and Booth trying to find a way to rescue them. Again, some good interaction between them all here.
    And as for that ending with Abbie and everything with Jenny? Uh-oh… I felt for Joe at the thought that his father might’ve been involved in some shady business…but I’m with Jenny in continuing to think of him as a good man. I hope that continues to be the case!
    Fun crossover all around! I think it worked out pretty well on both ends, and I like how the second half helped advance the story arc for “Sleepy Hollow”.

• I agree with all your points, especially with Zoe (maybe she is a descendant of Betty Ross and possibly, disgustingly Ichabod).

• Angela says:

I hadn’t considered the idea of her being a descendant. That could be interesting. Though, yes, I would hope she wasn’t the offspring of Ichabod and Betsy, ’cause that would indeed get…creepy.

• KatsMom says:

Disgusting, and, thankfully highly unlikely given that we’ve gone down the Ichabod has a child he doesn’t know about road before. It would be too ridiculous to spring a kid with Betsy on us now. If they introduce the notion that, unlike with Jeremy, Ichabod knew he and Betsy had a child, then I’ll be complaining about the lack of continuity. Seems to me that Ichabod should have mentioned that Katrina’s betrayal in not telling him about Jeremy was all the more hurtful given that he was heartbroken after his chance to be a father to his child with Betsy had been cut short. And it must have been because, unless they take major liberties with this timeline with Betsy, then there’s no way his child would have been grown up by the time he “died” in battle. Not to mention, you’d think we would have seen Ichabod researching his family tree…trying to find out what happened to his child, and if he has any descendants alive in the present.

4. With two people having been revealed to have a past with August Corbin, is anyone else interested in a Sleepy Hollow prequel spin off series centered on Corbin’s early adventures?

• Angela says:

I’d watch that.

• Cory says:

That sounds great. I’m also waiting for a spinoff with Hawley or Jenny about treasure hunting, in the vein of Veritas: The Quest from like a decade ago.

• suzi says:

He is a great character, one I think the show didn’t utilize enough. Flashbacks, voice overs reading his journals…Sleepy Hollow would certainly benefit from more Corbin (and Clancy Brown).

• KatsMom says:

Absolutely. That’s a great idea. I think FOX should develop/air it the way ABC uses Agent Carter to fill the gaps in AoS’s season. A shortened season with a focused story about Corbin’s life as a young man while Sleepy’s on hiatus every season would be amazing. Of course, Sleepy needs to improve enough in the ratings to ensure its future before any of that can happen though.

5. Linda says:

I watch both shows so there was no hardship in watching them tonight. I didn’t have high expectations but overall both shows were very well done and the characters themselves stayed very well in ‘character’.

6. Jenn says:

I really liked the crossover, and I was so skeptical at the announcement! Well done, Fox.

(Also, Brennan is a forensic anthropologist, not pathologist)

7. kmw says:

It was neither as bad as it could have been neither as good as I hoped. Very disappointed in Bones hour, Sleepy Hollows was better. While the conversations between and doing the investigations with these partners was alright it seems like Booth and Brennan got sacrificed for Sleepy Hollow. Expected more of Booth and Brennan in first episode but I guess I shouldn’t have been surprised that there weren’t. Their pranks were fun but that’s all they did. I do give them credit for making the crossover work as well as it did from point of view that Brennan didn’t know who Ichabod was and like I said they had some amusing lines but the first hour was flat. I don’t watch Sleepy but their hour was pretty good. While I do give them credit for doing this it ended up being what I first feared, especially for Bones and that is a wasted episode. Having said that I give them credit for trying I hope Bones doesn’t do it again a very wasted episode. There only other Halloween episode will still be my favorite, this one was blah

8. prish says:

The husband said, “It’s Eddie of the Iron Maiden. Recognize him?” Good call in costuming for this episode. It sure put my guy in a fun, chatty mood.

9. Ashley says:

Was the little girl trick-or-treating on Sleepy Hollow supposed to be Cookie from Empire?

10. Noel Roberts says:

If they have no intention of going there with Ichabbie, then I wished they’d just stop with all the baiting crap. Just admit it. They are making not enjoy the show. That Zoe scene killed me. I was yelling at the t.v. I’m so sick of women being thrown at Ichabod and Abbie is like a freaking nun or something. They are killing their chem for stupid Betsy and Zoe? Really? Cause I’m seriously not feeling that chem at all. It’s just filler crap because they don’t have the guts enough to capitalize on the chem between the two leads.

• Noel Roberts says:

Also was not a fan of how they wrote Ichabod in the Bones portion. Everyone acted annoyed with him like they were better in some way. He seemed so over the top. I thought he was much better in the 2nd episode.

• Melon pan says:

1000% agree.
      And why is Abbie more invested in Crane’s love life than her own?
      They’re so insulting in how they want to act like the chemistry between Abbie and Ichabod is brother-sisterly. We’re not buying it.

I don’t even want Abbie with him at this point, didn’t need them to be, but couldn’t ignore the chemistry – particularly OFF camera – so I was open to it. But now, I just want them to stop acting like Abbie should be invested in Crane’s relatioships. They think black women are so unattractive that even they’re attractive they still should be relegated to a doormat/bff role. Ugh.

11. Pat says:

I understand now why Booth and Brennan did not travel to Sleepy Hollow. When they first mentioned this crossover, I was expecting them to go there. Also,it was a good thing they did not go, because how would they explain an Army of dead Redcoats marching on the streets of Sleepy Hollow, to them. It was a great crossover for both shows and I really enjoyed it.

12. Shantell Kight says:

I unfortunately missed the 1st hour, as I got off work late, but the Sleepy Hollow hour was awesome! I’m a little bit biased as I LOVE Sleepy Hollow, but this has opened my eyes to watching Bones now. Booth and Brennan have great chemistry, which I like, and while I agree with some that Zoe is a little too “neat” to be a GF for Ichabod, I wouldn’t jump so fast into setting Abbie and Ichabod up together just yet. And was it just me, or does Joe seem a little out of depth, regarding this Atticus guy? Jenny’s got more cred in that world, so why is it either she’s always saving him from some mess he got himself into or fixing his tactical blunders? Just my thoughts.

13. bones part
    i left bones i think in 6th season and never went back, it gave me all the information i wanted and it made me want to watch the show!
    sleepy hallow part
    this is going to be the episode for anyone who wants to “invest” again to the series . yes second season turned awfull and made lot of viewers to drop it but this is a perfect chance for anyone to go back!!(also yes there is no need to watch previous episodes start next week the pandora arc is season’s 3 big bad with monster of the week(hi buffy!)
    i said buffy please that “angel” reference was kinda awesome !

14. liame says:

This crossover really worked for me. I thought all actors involved were brilliant and on point.
    I love how they constantly played the Abby and Ichabond “together” thing. Kudos for the writers on both sides by making these episodes funny, exciting and interesting! For once I’m glad someone like Booth witnessed how Abby goes Crane crazy by saying his name over and over again when he’s trapped or in danger. Hahahaha! She’s hooked and doesn’t even know it.

15. herman1959 says:

I saw the SH episode and, although I was skeptical, it was a winner! It had a lot of Season 1- type action, showed a minimum of Betsy Ross, Pandora finally brought it, plus it was funny!. I can’t remember the last time I laughed out loud as much at this show. My favorites were at the Bowling Alley when Crane said “All up in your faces” and when Mills and Booth were trapped Mills started to explain that the door had a pattern, then Booth just shot it open. Credit to the EPs.

16. iris g says:

The two episodes were great fun, especially considering bones does not believe in anything but science. The letter crane wrote is a very neat stroke. The least believable part was in the second hour when crane and abby are trying to solve their problem in one day? They get to dc and back to the hollow and resolve their issue of the day. By car it is an 8-10 hour drive and by air it is at least 5-6 hours including getting to airport and back. Not really viable in light of bowling unless that was at 8 am, meeting in dc, going to the tomb, getting back, etc. But that’s tv…

• Rebecca says:

It’s a 4 hr drive from SH to DC.

• KatsMom says:

I would have thought that it was much easier to make the trip than that. But, then again, my husband takes 1 day business trips to DC from Chicago, so that probably made it seem more reasonable. Given that it’s about 6 hours to fly to DC from O’Hare and back, including travel to the airport, I would have thought it was significantly less from NY, given that it’s about 3 times closer. Plus, they have an FBI badge to get through security immediately, so they’re not waiting in endless lines.

17. brooklynguy27 says:

i watch bones sometimes and i am a Avid Sleepy Hollow fan, tonight i watched for Abbie and Ichabod i loved the fact that bones wasn’t supernatural but played on sleepy elements , it was more about the science. Sleepy hollow was more about the supernatural , the writers played it smart , the bones universe doesn’t deal with what the Sleepy hollow Universe Deals with (demons , ghost , witches) and the Bones Characters on Sleepy hollow never witness anything too out of the ordinary even though there was Pandora,a dead general and his goons running around creating havoc . so the Bones Character could go home and go back to their normal lives without it compromising the characters and introducing them to something they wouldn’t normally be accustomed to. i thought both shows did a great job.

18. KC says:

It worked! It definitely worked!

19. Drew says:

I only watched the Sleepy Hollow episode. It wasn’t bad, except for the Bones characters. Sorry, but those characters are just annoying to me. Fortunately, there was enough episode without them to make it watchable, but I would have enjoyed it a lot more without the crossover.

20. Mo says:

Liked episode but couple things were bothersome like how did Angela recreate Howes face when they had not yet located the skull and the capital was not completed enough for occupying until after 1800 the war ended 1784. So the redcoat General Howe stayed in the US and died here to be buried in his redcoat at the capital? More likely returned to England to be buried in home soil

21. Shannon says:

Bones: My hubby and I broke up with Bones last year, so my only info on the show has been through the TVLine, but I adore SH so I tuned in. I enjoyed it for the most part, but had some issues.
    -The Boothe/Corbin angle didn’t sit right with me, and even less so after the SH hour. I wish they had gone into that a little bit more as to how exactly they knew each other and explained why Abbie ended up as a topic of conversation.
    -Angela’s reconstruction skills seem to have reached a level of mystic proportion; she has issues reconstruction the victim with a skull, but she managed to get Howell without one. Um?
    -How did news of a headless skeleton make it to SH? Despite its possible historic importance would it have been enough news to make it up to Abbie’s Field Office? That seems like a huge stretch, especially since the Abraham has only been mentioned once so far (if I remember correctly) in SH it didn’t seem like they were too worried about him at the moment with Pandora being much more of a current threat.
    -I’m not sure if this is really an issue or simply Ichabod not only being a man out of time, but a man out of place. We’re used to seeing him in SH and for the most part ‘fitting in,’ so he doesn’t seem too out of place, but in Bones he seemed off, but that could have been because of who he is and being put in a world rooted in pure science.
    I did like the letter twist as that was a very SH aspect and I liked how it played out.

Sleepy Hollow: As a SH episode it was nice and solid, as a crossover it seemed to be a bit lacking. For some reason the Bones part felt more out of place then the SH on Bones did.
    I know they are trying to keep Abbie and Ichabod in a platonic relationship, but they have such amazing chemistry as compared to the ‘love interests’ that are brought on that it is a little painful. The Howell and his Undead army was fun and I’m really enjoying the mystery surrounding Pandora.
    I’m also really liking the Joe/Jenny team, they work really well together and I like this so much better than the Hawley stories last season. We’re getting to explore both Jenny’s pre-Abbie & Icabod life as well as Corbin’s.

Overall, it was a good first attempt at a crossover between 2 rather different worlds and wouldn’t mind seeing another attempt crossover.

22. Brynecho says:

The words “jumped the shark” come to mind here. Bones has always presented a story at least based in reality.

23. even though bones was the first episode
    y’all should’ve titled it “Sleepy Hollow Bones”

24. I would agree that it was no shark jump, although, I would say that I don’t think they did enough with it. I would have enjoyed them going full-on weird and pulling the Bones crew into some strange stuff. I might have like to see Brennan try explaining something crazy like one of the dead soldiers disappearing into the ground or something. This seemed like a dipping of the toe which I can appreciate. I think they will do it again next year and have more leeway to incorporate the more bizarre. I thought the Sleepy Hollow episode was slightly stronger.

25. cookie says:

Loved both episodes! ! They all worked well with each other. There was some ribbing but they also complimented Ichabod on his dress. I hope they do more. I loved how they Abbie and Ichie protected Booth and Bones from the actual supernatural beings. It’s only a matter of time, before they are faced with the unexplainable. Love the shows.

26. coneyro says:

Surprisingly, the crossover worked. The one fault that bothered me the most was that Brennan would NEVER accept Icabod’s explanation for the similarities in the handwriting. She also would question his intimate knowledge of certain facts or personal habits of revolutionary participants, that could not be found in history books. But it was very entertaining. Obviously, Bones and Booth couldn’t be exposed to the supernatural side of Sleepy Hollow. That would have caused a crisis to the reality based core of the Jeffersonian crew, and Brennan’s atheism.

27. Morisot says:

Sorry, but some things just felt “off” — too off for my liking. One was Ichabod getting all bristle-ly when they commented on his garb!….think by now he would have some funny or disarming way to brush off such reactions. And the zombie army opening fire during the Halloween festivities!….wish TPTB had tweaked it enough for plausible deniability: some fireworks ignited? or have our scoobies wearing colonial costumes and rush in and the on-lookers say “Wow, Sleepy Hollow really puts on a show for Halloween.” (Either play it for laughs as a cover or go all the way for the horror and mayhem.)