Which Series Is Killing Off Its Co-Lead? TVLine Readers Tackle Our Most Dramatic Blind Item Ever!

To misquote Axl Rose, “Welcome to TVLine’s Oct. 21 Blind Item, baby! Someone’s gonna dieeeeee!”

In case you missed it, my colleague Michael Ausiello posted a carefully worded story that day, warning readers that, “an established drama series that gets a fair amount of love on TVLine is set to whack its co-lead this season, so it’s time to start clutching your Grandma’s pearls.”

“Details are super sketchy, but rumor has it the fatal twist is set to occur in this hour-long show’s forthcoming fall finale,” TVLine’s fearless leader (and shameless tease) continued. “Meanwhile, there are conflicting accounts as to whether the death will actually stick. Given the importance this particular character has to the series, it’s tough to imagine that it would. But in this Will Gardner-offing, McDreamy-snuffing TV world we live in now, I suppose anything is possible.”

The aforementioned story — in which the character was referred to as a “fan favorite” — generated over 600 comments chock full of conspiracy theories, rumors, innuendo, hand-wringing, smack talk and silliness. Readers dug deep into the story for potential clues, too, debating the meaning of “co-lead,” wondering about the significance of words like “fair” and “pearls,” and speculating if the possible failure to “stick” pointed to a supernatural series.

Now, despite the fact that I have no knowledge whatsoever about who the “victim” is going to be — I couldn’t bring myself to go all Huck-Vs.-Quinn’s-Teeth on Mr. Ausiello in the name of scoop —  I chose what I thought were the 30 best reader guesses. Some are carefully reasoned. Others are parked at the intersection of Bats–t and Crazy. But they’ve all got their merits (or are at least amusing).

Check out the gallery below — or click here for direct access — then hit the comments and tell us if you think any of these guesses will turn out to be spot-on!

1. I still think it’s Snow on OUAT. I think ‘grandma’ is a hint. And it would be very easy to resurrect her at a later point.

• Lisa says:

I would think if it was OUAT, he would have said “clutch your Grannies pearls”. Just saying.

• Mary says:

No it isn’t. When has Snow been given a “fair amount of love” on TV Line?

Hook should have been killed off a long time ago, but even his death wouldn’t fix the lazy and sloppy writing of OUAT.

• kelz says:

though there are people that don’t like Hook, he is in fact a fan favorite (along with regina). he is important to the overall plot, and not just regarding emma. look how involved he is in rumple’s story as well. Without Hook, Milah would’ve never left, Rumple would have never become the dark one, and then….. well …. we wouldn’t have the show. Yes, if they never wrote him into the show then he wouldn’t be part of the story, but as it is now, his presence both in the past storyline and present is important. “Hook should have been killed off a long time ago” is simply bias speaking.

• Vari says:

Hook has been pretty much important to the whole plot of Dark One which was his first arc and how this right now ties it in. He fell in love with Emma – the emma he loves, the savior she is, the dark swan she now becomes – its all come full circle. And their love playing an important part in Emma’s journey in herself and this dark swan saga.

And Hook was a character that was wanted since season 1 but they did not get the rights to it in time.

• Pamela Ann says:

Neal was important and they just killed him off to make room for Hook because people wanted to swoon over him, no thanks boot him and bring back Neal.

• browneyegurl says:

Hook wasn’t important to the whole plot of Dark One. After Rumple and him faced off on the ship, they didn’t see each other until 200 years, and Hook wasn’t even a thought in Rumple’s mind. It is just laughably ridiculous at the numerous attempts to make Hook, just because fan girls like him, to make him more important to the narrative in OUAT than he actually is.

And Hook outright rejected Dark Swan. Unfortunately instead of exploring Emma’s issues of her past, the Dark Swan arc is all going to be about Hook’s man pain. And you guys need to stop parroting these lies. Colin months ago in an interview said that he was original just a guest star. Adam Horowitz spoke about how Hook was only going to be “Las Vegas” to Emma and not exactly a father figure to Henry. Plans have changed but Hook really could die and besides Emma, would get over his death, nobody on the show would care because he really doesn’t have a deep friendship with anybody on the show.

• KT says:

The references to McDreamy and Will Gardner seem to suggest that it’s the male love interest of a female lead, but I’d hesitate to guess that it’s Hook. First off, he’s not really a lead. He’s definitely a supporting character. Second, is it really that hard to imagine that if he died, they wouldn’t bring him back? He really hasn’t been important to a main plot since mid-season three. So far, he hasn’t done a single thing to advance the plot this season.

If the show is OUAT, I think the character is Regina. There are really only three characters who hold so much importance that it would be tough to imagine them dying and not coming back: Emma, Regina, and Henry. Those are the only characters who had been absolutely vital all five seasons. I don’t think they’d kill Henry, so I’m going to disregard him. Emma’s not really a fan favorite. She’s not any more popular than I’d expect any lead of a show to be. Whereas Regina started out as sort of an ensemble dark horse and is really the only character whose importance has grown every season.

• steven says:

They can’t kill Snow White.

• Larc says:

I think it’s OUAT, but not Snow. I think it will be Emma. Or at least Dark Emma. The true Emma will survive.

• Curly Girly says:

OUAT is more of an ensemble show, I wouldn’t know who would be the “co-lead”. So I don’t think it’s anyone on OUAT.

2. Karen says:

Laurel is no fan favorite, Arrow fans want it to be her lol

• Mindeesa says:

Yeah, I wouldn’t even consider Laurel a co-lead. She’s supporting for sure.

• Mary says:

I don’t.

• Guest says:

Not every fan wants it to be her, some of us will actually stop watching the show if it’s her, so just because you want her killed of dosn’t mean that every other fan feels the same as you so yes she is a fan favorit

• I love Laurel, but I do not feel as though she is the fan favorite because she gets quite a bit of hate. That’s okay though. .. we know she is practically save until the end of a series…

• Liz says:

I’d love it if they had the guts to kill off Laurel. I’d cheer! Arrow finally cutting its dead weight? REJOICE. They won’t do it though. I still think Quentin is in that grave.

• Shelley says:

I wish Laurel’s character would be killed off. But, I wish that her character would be written differently more so. The way she’s been written so far is very unappealing IMO. I also think that Quentin will be the character to die this season. After all, Oliver and Quentin conspired for him to be undercover in his dealings with Damian Darkh. I think that will be his demise.

• Jess says:

You wanna talk about dead weight? Thea. She’s pretty useless.

• tvjunkie says:

What scientifically conducted poll do you base that on? Please post the link. You don’t have one? Then stop posting your opinion as fact.

• Lysh says:

I agree she’s not a fan favorite, but not everyone wants her dead. I think it’s important to have some female superheros on TV.

• Desiree says:

Word.

• Sil says:

I totally agree with you. Laurel is my least favorite of the show and if any one character was to die on Arrow, I would choose the loss to be her. Laurel was the co lead at the beginning. However, since then the importance of that character has diminished to be a secondary character. At least to me and everyone that I know who watch Arrow. But, the Arrow writers have “their” story to tell. Which might include Laurel until the show ends its course. All we know is that someone dies somewhere in mid season.

• Lee says:

Speak for yourself. Just because you ship Olicity doesn’t mean that fanbases opinion is what everyone thinks. I know a lot of people who love Laurel/Black Canary and would be pissed if she was killed off.

• Jess says:

If Laurel dies, I have no reason to continue watching. I hate Olicity, Diggle isn’t that interesting, Roy is gone, and Merlyn is the villain. Maybe if Thea was the lead I would watch but they’d have to make her interesting.

3. The Castle showrunners have already said they’re not killing off Beckett or, duh, Castle, so why is this “guess” even included? Silly.

• Jane says:

Hence Michael saying in the article “Some are carefully reasoned. Others are parked at the intersection of Bats–t and Crazy. But they’ve all got their merits (or are at least amusing).” Many people guessed it might be Beckett or Castle so he had to include them.

• Sheila says:

Couldn’t you see them faking Kate’s death, though?

• Maybe. But that would have been awfully risky, seeing as how they’ve already destroyed viewers’ empathy with the whole Kate walking out on Castle thing. Plus, Kate’s not there in the next episode–what did I read, that Stana went to some fashion show in Italy and couldn’t be present for filming. It’s pretty obvious that she would rather be somewhere else. The Nose was a funny episode, but they have GOT to get back to business and fast.

4. It is Captain Hook, but they will go to the Underworld to get him back. Hades is rumored to be the main villain in part 2.

• thisismenow says:

The fact they are going to the underworld suggests strongly it is OUAT. There was also the vision of death in the series opener which I feel like that was another clue. Because there was a price for saving Robin Hood. So while that might have passed, one of the people who put an end to it will die. My guess is probably Regina.

5. A says:

I do still believe Laurel is going this season, but she is not in ANY way a fan favourite. Her fans -fans of the shows character and not people who just want everything ‘like the comics!’- make up a relatively small number.

• Guest says:

Not everyone who likes Laurel has read the comics, she’s my favorit and i never read the comics

• tvjunkie says:

Would you please point me to the scientifically accurate poll that supports your OPINION regarding fans of the show and their feelings about Laurel. If you can’t then you’re just making an ASSumption based on pure speculation with no basis in fact.

• A says:

I have no ‘scientifically accurate poll’, but when you compare the mentions of her character on social media to another character – say Felicity or Diggle- you can see that her fans don’t really make themselves known. If there’s a lot of them, they are certainly going the wrong way of being an outspoken fan…..which is something you need to be in this day and age.

• tvjunkie says:

That proves absolutely nothing.

• A says:

Ok honey, I’ll wait for you to come back with your ‘scientifically accurate poll’ that proves that Laurel ISN’T the least favourite character. My Friday is over so i have all the rest of the day…. I can wait

• Ben says:

One doesn’t need a scientifically accurate poll to tell them common sense. Some people like Laurel, but she is overwhelmingly the character that gets the most disdain from Arrow fans – and not just online and on social media, but just by asking casual watchers about what they are enjoying in the show too. Finding Laurel annoying seems to transcend demographics.

• Oliverfan says:

I liked her best season 1 as a fierce attorney. Wanting to do good for people. IMO, up to now, she’s been written to become BC to memorialize her dead sister. Not just for her own desire to protect SC. Resurrecting Sara now is Just wrong. To me, the writers should have come up with a sinister villain being the one to resurrect Sara. The Arrow team would be the ones to humanize her. So that her character could be a part of the new show. Laurel’s and Quentin’s emotional involvement could be explored that way. But, I’m indifferent to Laurel and her storylines.

• tvjunkie says:

Again what you’re saying proves absolutely nothing. It may suggest a hypothesis, but it’s far from a proven fact.

6. Vari says:

Hook will end up going to Underworld imo. Not dying totally but taken there,.
    I think Hook will sacrifice his life for Emma to save her and this darkness (we all know he would risk his life for her – he has done it many times)
    And Emma will find him with the Team and they all get to confront their own misdeeds of the past imo

7. “The aforementioned story — in which the character was referred to as a “fan favorite””

Laurel is safe! :P

• Liz says:

LMAO. That’s how you know it’s not her. She’s no way a fan fave! :)

• She definitely has her fan base and people should respect the lengths Cassidy goes to get in shape and all that stuff to better portray the role, but yeah, the base is small.

• Liz says:

Oh, I’m not denying Black Canary has a fan base and Laurel to an extent but there’s no way I’d say she was a fan favorite. But yeah, I’m no Laurel fan but good for Cassidy for getting into shape. She looked terrible in season 2 so there’s a huge improvement.

• tvjunkie says:

I’m going to assume you have a link to a scientifically conducted poll to back up your claims.

• A says:

Since you’re posting this after any comment that dares to say Laurel is not liked…can I just point out that we don’t NEED a poll. We can have an opinion and in this case, our opinion is backed up by the fact she just ISN’T that popular. I’m sorry if you thought she was.

• I’m sure her Facebook and Twitter pages would cover that, lol.

• Oliverfan says:

I haven’t formed my opinions of Laurel on a poll or assumed there is any poll about her to go by. All I can say is, is that I have become indifferent to her presence on the show. And, everyone I know who watches Arrow, we talk about each episode, we survey the stories, we agree on all counts. Laurel is the least important and interesting to “us”. As a group. I choose to voice my opinion on a format like this one. There seems to be others who feel similar ways about Laurel as I do.

• tvjunkie says:

A, your opinion is not fact. You haven’t presented a single shred of evidence to back up your claim. Maybe you’re right, maybe you’re wrong, but you’ve done nothing to prove it. You’re presenting opinion as fact.

• tvjunkie says:

Facebook and Twitter? LOL. Apparently you don’t know the first thing about scientifically accurate polling data. FB and Twit are among the worst possible examples of that. Not to mention they’re magnets for identity theft. Oh and lets not forget the mountains of fake FB and Twit accounts out there or that people can by FB friends and Twit followers. You crack me up dude. FB and Twitter…HA!

8. Kaye says:

We know Stefan is alive in 3 years from the flash forwards. I guess they could kill him in flash forwards but he’d still be alive for 3 years so don’t think its him.

9. This was stated before last The Walking Dead episode. Perhaps it relates to Glenn.

• Meg says:

The death happens in the fall finale. Can’t be Glenn.

• Curly Girly says:

UNLESS….we don’t find out Glenn’s fate for sure until the fall finale. We already know that the next episode of TWD is a Morgan-centric episode, so we won’t find out Glenn’s fate until possibly after that.

• chris says:

Well it actually says that rumour has it that it happens in the fall season not that it definitely happens in the season finale, so it could be Glenn. If Glenn turns into a zombie he could even be killed off for good in the finale…

• Mike M says:

Scott M Dimple to Michael just a few days ago: TVLINE | “Will we have to wait a long time before we get a definitive answer on his fate?” Answer: “Not terribly long. It’ll be in the first half of the season. And there are only five episodes left.” So that absolutely still works. Would be a massive non Blind Item though really.

• Spence says:

While I tragically do agree that it could be Daryl on the chopping block when Negan comes to town, I don’t see the writers introducing Negan until the season finale at the earliest, so Daryl won’t be the blind item since the blind item talks about a fall finale death. Not to mention the writers wouldn’t be crazy enough to kill two fan-favorites in the same half-season (let’s face it, Glenn is dead).

10. wrstlgirl says:

Just looking at fan reaction to what happened on last Sunday’s episode of The Walking Dead, if it’s Daryl Dixon peoples brains will explode!!!!!

11. Babybop says:

Please don’t be Sleepy Hollow, please don’t be Sleepy Hollow…

12. Sarah says:

Since The Flash is tackling alternate universes and the crossover will take place before the fall finale, it’s a good chance we might get Earth 2 Laurel if Earth 1 Laurel is killed off. So technically the death won’t be permanent….

13. Chiara says:

I hope it’s not Hook from OUAT. He’s the only reason I’m still watching the show.

• Vari says:

It would be an epic story to have for Emma to go and save him in Underworld. The whole team to. And see more of Hook’s backstory esp as his dad is coming to

• kelz says:

He’s “a survivor” !! have no fears. even if he dies, how “dead” do most characters stay on this show? lol :P

• Vari says:

Not unless you got to the underworld and get taken there, your not really cold dead are you… just taken there and can be saved.

• Lisa says:

If that’s the case, I think it’s possible it goes back to saving Robin and that a life must be given for it. That life is probably dragged to the underworld. If that’s the case, I’d say maybe Regina.

• Lily says:

Hook being taken to the Underworld, would have more to do with the price of reforging Excalibur. The whole thing with Robin and Regina was just to introduce the concept, of what happens when someone refuses to pay the price of magic.

• Audrey says:

The whole thing with Robin and Regina can’t be over so simply. I mean, if they were successful they could save Hook (or anyone else) in the same way they saved Robin.
            At this point I hope it’s Regina. Hook and Emma have already been through a lot this season. Emma sacrificed herself for Regina, now she has to solve her own problems.
            I really hope it’s not Hook. The theories about him dying to save Emma totally make sense, but if they rescued Robin without going in the Underworld they should be able to do the same with Hook.
            In either case I’m pretty sure it won’t be definitive.

14. Kurt says:

I think it’s Coulson

15. Chris says:

Is “Grandma’s pearls” actually part of the riddle?

16. Cathy says:

“But in this Will Gardner-offing, McDreamy-snuffing TV world we live in now, I suppose anything is possible.”

I’m pretty sure that Stephen Amell said that. And the first episode of Arrow for the season had him standing in front of a grave site, with The Flash apologizing for not getting there earlier.

I am not a fan of Katie Cassidy’s acting, but I’m not sure if they would kill her off. Paul Blackthorn would be a more logical option, but I like his character.

• Weezy says:

I think Cathy is onto something. However why is everyone focusing in on Katie Cassidy? I think it’s Digle myself…he’s a fan favorite, important to the show, and could potentially be resurrected (Lazarus Pit). We also know someone on Arrow dies. Furthermore writers typically telegraph this kind of stuff by giving the actor a little more screen time focused on their personal life (how many more lines about his family and child have there been this season so far?).

17. Carol says:

Laurel can be described as a fan favorite, co-lead, lead, star supreme, unicorn.. whatever it is that makes her be the death.. especially since the showrunners said this one will stick!

18. Liz says:

I only wish they’d have the guts to kill off Laurel (she’s no fan fave though) but they just don’t. She’ll be around after the apocalypse kills everyone.

19. Lisa says:

It could actually be Gibbs. Mark Harmon is now executive producer on 2 shows, NCIS & NCIS New Orleans. He could possibly pull a Grissom.

20. Valeria says:

I was so happy thinking it could be Laurel but then I read it was an important fan favorite and 😭

21. Jason Paul says:

Donal Logue is a good guess.

22. Lisa says:

Someone on How To Get Away With Murder? Although, I don’t know if you would consider anyone a Co lead?

23. Aoife says:

If thet kill off Reid on Criminal Minds it would be worse than McDreamy’s death

• Angela says:

Yeah, it’s not gonna be him. If interviews are any indication, Gubler doesn’t have plans to leave the show anytime soon :).
      I do think Morgan is going to leave the show this season, though, especially considering his personal involvement in this “Dirty Dozen” business thus far this season*…but I don’t think he’ll be leaving in the fall finale. MGG said he’s directing an episode where one of the team members leaves, and he’s not directing any of the episodes leading up and including the fall finale, so…
      *(And if he is indeed leaving the show this season, whenever that is, I beg the writers to please not kill him off!)
      Annalise is a good guess…but she’s pretty much THE lead of the show, I don’t know if she’s a “co-lead” against any of the other characters, save for perhaps Bonnie, possibly?
      “Sleepy Hollow” is definitely a good candidate out of all the shows I watch, though…but I really hope it’s NOT them. And if it is, I hope very much that the death does not stick. Fortunately, since it’s a supernatural series, that seems likely.

24. Brad says:

To bad it can’t be Beckett they already destroyed her character and made people hate her Richard castles deserves better

25. Guest says:

I still don’t think it’s Laurel (and not just because of the comics wich i never read and she’s still my favorit) and here are my reasons her dad would go right back to hating Oliver, he would blame him for bringing her into that lifestyle (even though it was her own choice, but her dad would think so) and he would go back to drinking and he already lost one daughter twice the writers, i don’t think the writers would be that cruel.
    They wouldn’t have her go through all that training and development in season 3 just to kill her of, if they wanted to kill her of they would’ve done it in season 1 or 2.
    I’m leaning more towards her dad, Diggle or Felicity

26. Bwhit says:

Killing off Severide or Casey would be a huge mistake for a lot of reasons but I would say the main one is, they already killed one of their leads with Shay, I doubt they would rock the boat again and kill Kelly.

I didn’t guess the first time because I’ve been wrong 99.9% when Ausiello tortures us with his blind items but when I saw this the first person I thought of was Elijah from the Originals. The reason being, they have set up that there is a way to kill one of them and he is considered a fan favorite. If it may not stick, a show like The Originals would be the place for that. After the fall finale, Klaus, Haley and company figure out a way to save him and it unites the ‘family’ to kill the people that are threatening them thus mending fences between all of them.

• A-C says:

Daniel Gillies was already a co-lead that got killed in another show this year, but since Saving Hope only airs in Canada, I guess it’s possible it could be him again

27. Me says:

Weeeellll… there was a pretty big death on Nashville last night. It wasn’t that was it? Although I guess that character isn’t really considered a lead…

28. StephonJS says:

It Hook people

29. Lima says:

Hook is a boring lover, hope he’s the one…

30. N says:

My first thought was it would be Sam or Dean, and the back half of supernatural would be about bringing one of them back from the dead. However, Once Upon A Time makes a ton of sense given the rumors that Hell is a big part of the back half of Once. I think right now im convinced its one of the Once Upon A Time characters.

31. Kim R says:

Beckett.

32. JDA says:

if anyone dies on SHIELD, I think it’s Fitz. He’s stuck in a love triangle; if the Marvel writers are still creative they’ll end that with some heartbreak. Seeing that the death might not stick also helps in the decision. Maybe something on the planet ‘kills’ Fitz after he and Simmons rescue Will?

33. Maria Quinn says:

I seriously doubt it’s Scott Caan (Danny on Hawaii Five-0). No he doesn’t necessarily enjoy Hawaii as much as his castmates, but the character has a fairly important storyline this season (or so, I think, said the showrunner) involving saving the life of (bone marrow transplant)/getting to know the 3-year-old son born from an affair with his ex-wife/also the mother of their teenage daughter, whom the ex claimed was her current husband’s child.

34. spindae2 says:

Stefan shouldn’t be it as he is in the Flashforwards.
    Don’t think they will kill anyone on Arrow during fall, especially as there is a permanent death coming to in the later half of the 2nd season.
    My thoughts are for Hook and Emma from Once, even though I would prefer a permanent death for David, the most useless character since S2A.

35. Bob Backus says:

Here’s hoping it’s either someone on Castle, or HTGAWMurder. Castle- they might as well before the network puts the show out of it’s misery. Murder- At least one of the brain-dead characters has to go, hopefully AnalEyes- the dumbest “smart” lawyer ever on TV.

36. Smith says:

Megan Boone the blacklist? Or would that be too significant of a character to a series

• Anna M says:

They sort of did that last night, so now I don’t think they can do it for real unless they are already out of ideas.

37. Chris says:

The evidence is stacked against Hook, but if Hook dies we riot.

It can’t be anybody on Arrow. The “six months later” grave site doesn’t correlate with the proposed fall finale kill date.

38. Coach Taylor says:

Can you people read? A “Co-Lead”….Hook is not Co-Lead….also says would significantly impact the show….Hook is not a major player. It has to be someone whose character is a co-lead and changes what this show is all about

• Vari says:

Hook is a major player in Emma’s life and the dynamic of the team as well. Losing him and losing her happy ending is a big thing.
      Co-Lead could mean the other half of Emma. Just like Emma was Dark Swan… we can see her losing Hook to an sacrifice which ,means ending up going to save him.

• browneyegurl says:

Emma has never said that Hook was her happy ending. Hell, after the throwaway ILY to Hook, she sacrificed her soul for Regina. Hook is a love interest of Emma, that doesn’t make him a co lead.

39. Ginger Snap says:

Killing a popular character is a tactic that an aging show does in order to ignite the fan base.

So killing off Beckett on Castle would be a smart move.

Killing off Hook, or sending him to the Underworld would ignite only that part of the fan base that gives a hoot about the Hook-Swan relationship. It would please those of us who dread every Emma-Hook scene. But making it only temporary by sending him to the Underworld just marks it as fan manipulation.

Don’t think enough people care about Laurel on Arrow.

I think Bones is so old that it wouldn’t help that show.

IMHO, it will be Hook that gets sent to the Underworld, and I won’t care. But the better choice would be Beckett from Castle.

40. buttercupscarlett95 says:

OUAT has already pretty much confirmed the spring season will be about the underworld. I don’t know if that’s the blind item–lots of people die in mid-season and season finales–but someone from OUAT is definitely going to hell, and it’s a good bet the rest are going on a rescue mission. Hook is a likely choice because the Dark One already said Emma will have to pay a “price” if she removes Excalibur from the stone, and, in the same episode, Robin Hood almost became Regina’s “price.” I think Hook will be Emma’s price, and she will have to go to the underworld to save him, bringing most of the cast in tow. The only question is whether poor Belle gets left behind to babysit again, because I can’t believe they’re taking baby Neal and little Roland with them to hell.

41. Lysh says:

I’m kind of accepting the fan theory that Hook’s gonna die and then Emma goes to save him in the underworld. I could see something like this happening on Sleepy Hollow, too, but actually I think it already happened. Killing off a lead is always a bold move, but shows with magical or supernatural aspects means the death doesn’t have to be permanent.

• Coach Taylor says:

HOOK IS NOT A LEAD!!!!! And if he is and he is the subject of the blind item than the info given is incorrect

• Vari says:

So what. He is lead in the sense he is with the leading lady of the show – Emma. And it impacts her and is a very popular character.

• buttercupscarlett95 says:

Um, he’s a main character, he’s been on the show for three years, he’s in pretty much every episode, he usually appears in numerous scenes per episode, and he’s the love interest of the show’s leading lady. I’d say Hook qualifies as a “co-lead.”

• Lily says:

@Coach…. Hook is considered the MALE lead of OUaT. He is one of the few characters ABC and Disney use to market the show. He certainly qualifies as a fan-favorite.

• Patty says:

Hook is a lead. This is a multi-lead cast with several credited weekly contract players including Snow, Charming, Emma, Regina, Gold, Belle, Hook, Henry, Robin and Zelena. All of them can be considered co-leads.

42. Bcharmer says:

As much as I would love for the pirate to be killed off, he is in no way a co-lead. If it’s the fairy tale show, the only characters that qualify as co-leads and would make long time fans stress would be Emma or Regina.

• Vari says:

Emma is the main lead of the show as THE protagonist. And if Hook is the one, fans will stress because he is a fan favourite – a popular one and that would impact Emma very much since they are one of the main couples of the show.

43. AshPie says:

I still think its going to be Lucious from Empire. As soon as I read his crazy interview with Rolling Stone I figured he wouldn’t be long for the lasting, can you imagine working with that guy everyday :(

44. jerrired says:

I definitely didn’t think it was anyone from OUAT, but after reading the clues again and the comments. I do think it might be Snow. To me, the Charmings haven’t been giving much to work with this season (so far). And OUAT has this annoying habit of killing characters (except if your name is Neal or Graham), just to resurrect them. I think Snow’s heart gets crushed and the gang must go to the Underworld to save her. We might not actually see her for awhile, to keep up the mystery and give Ginnifer a break, but I doubt she’ll be dead-dead, just hiatus. But last time, I was completely wrong about the blind item. lol. So I probably will be again.

• Lily says:

The one problem with killing Mary Margaret, is that David would die with her…. they share her heart. Meaning that it would be two co-leads dying.

45. Lorena says:

The ones i care about is Dinozzo, Booth, Hayley, Danny and Holmes, but im sorry to say, but maybe Felicity is the one, i mean, we know someone is dead, so

46. Britt says:

The reason why I DON’T think it’s a supernatural show is exactly because of the “death might not stick” part. Heroes – the “old” one – every mid-season ended with Sylar dying.

It’s not news if someone dies on a supernatural show, because you can come back through time travel, a vortex, a pit, true love’s kiss, magic bean, whatever. American Horror Story??? With that show, it’s not a question of who’s going to die, but in what order are they going to kick it.

47. janedoe2007 says:

Here’s why I think it’s Anthony DiNozzo from NCIS:
    Killing him would be “tough to imagine” since he’s been assumed to take team lead if/when Gibbs leaves the team. This assumption’s been there since the beginning of the show 13 seasons ago, and that’s where the character’s great importance comes from, aside from it being a fan favorite.
    It is possible for the death to “not stick” if he was going into something like witness protection for some reason (remember Prentiss on Criminal Minds?)
    There were also those cryptic tweets from Michael Weatherly last spring when they killed off McDreamy on Grey’s. He could’ve been referring to an event set for this season rather than Gibbs’ shooting in the season 12 finale.
    And finally there’s this tweet from NCIS writer Chris Waild: “Lunch time screening of tonight’s #NCIS has me itching w/dread. I fear there are some foreboding images that foreshadow things to come.” This tweet was in reference to episode 6 (Viral) which contained a scene where DiNozzo lies on an autopsy table!

If it isn’t Tony, my second guess would be Danny on Hawaii 5-0. He fits all the criteria and the show can be considered more of an “established drama” than a long-running one. In which case Ausiello would be right; it’s incredibly tough to imagine a 5-0 remake without its Danno!!

48. Rinacres says:

I think it will be Norma Bates – the grandmother’s pearls make me think it and we all know she does die in the mythology.

• Angela says:

This death is happening in the fall finale, which would be in either November or early December. “Bates Motel” is not airing right now and therefore won’t have a fall finale. So it’s not them.

49. Love how Tumblr is the place to go for ‘facts’ – absolutely hilarious. There is no way Katie Cassidy wants to leave or her character Laurel Lance is being killed off. She loves being Black Canary, a role she wanted. This is just nutjobs causing mischief starting rumours.Plus the timing doesn’t coincide with the 6mth timeline on Arrow. Nice try, but ah NO!!!

• A says:

Tumblr isn’t the place for people to go for facts….because lets face it, if they went there they would have to read your insane ~theories~.

50. Lisa says:

Here are a few of my guesses and the reasons. I may be far off, and feel free to add your own.

Beckett (Castle) – It was like pulling teeth to get her to sign for this season. Perhaps she agreed to an shortened season. Hence the reason the writers broke up the couple also.

Regina (OUAT) – There is still a death (debt) to pay for using magic to save Robin. Also, underworld second half of the season.

Gibbs (NCIS) – Yes, they could have killed him off at the end of the season, but maybe that started to set the stage for it. Mark Harmon is executive producer for 2 out of 3 NCIS shows. They’ve been shifting focus more towards Dinozzo. Perhaps in lieu of this time they took to plan his exit more strategically.

Annalyse (HTGAWM) – Probably not, but the elephant in the room is that she is lying on the floor dying. However, although she is the lead, I can’t think of any one person that would be considered her co-lead. So the elephant in the room is the only reason I’m considering her.

Watson (Elementary) – They broke the dynamic once by bringing in Kitty. They could consider breaking the dynamic again. Although I wouldn’t consider her to be a fan favorite, so not likely.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say one more possibility. Perhaps Sam or Callen from NCIS LA. Although I highly doubt this one, I guess it’s possible.

Out of these, I really think the most likely would be Gibbs or Beckett. Both of them are of the utmost importance to their shows and both are well loved.