The Frinder Full Season

The Grinder Scores Full-Season Order

The verdict on The Grinder is in: Rob Lowe’s rookie comedy has snagged a coveted back-nine order.

Fox announced Tuesday that it has picked up the well-reviewed (yet low-rated) sitcom for a full season.

The Grinder is the perfect combination of razor-sharp wit and relatable family dynamics — two hallmarks of successful comedies,” said Fox president David Madden said in a statement. “The critics have embraced this original, fresh and funny show, and the talented cast – led by Rob Lowe and Fred Savage — have done such an incredible job infusing it with biting humor and heartfelt moments. We are so excited about the storylines that these fantastic producers have planned for the rest of the season.”

The Grinder drew 4.9 million viewers and a 1.5 demo rating in its Sept. 29 debut. Its most recent episode attracted 2.9 million viewers and a 0.9 rating.

The Grinder is the sixth freshman 2015-16 series to land a full-season order, joining CBS’ Limitless, NBC’s Blindspot, ABC’s Quantico and Dr. Ken and Fox’s Rosewood.

1. Mr. Tran K says:

Hooray for Rob Lowe and Fred Savage and James Heller from 24.

2. Leah says:

Critics embraced Mindy too, and look how that went on Fox…at this point I don’t start anything new until it’s well into it’s 2nd year and close to renewal!

• Will says:

It actually went pretty well. Mindy was low-rated from the start but FOX kept it around. Mindy had 67 episodes before being cancelled. That’s good for a sitcom averaging less than 3 million viewers for most of its run. FOX didn’t even own the show, Universal does. FOX owns The Grinder, meaning the longer the show runs, the more money FOX can get in syndication money. Also with Empire, FOX can afford to nurture some low-rated shows, especially if it owns the show.

• Ben says:

Umm… Mindy is still on… so… it went ok?

• Paul Thibault says:

Since The Mindy Project is still putting out new episodes, I’d say it went pretty well? granted, it’s a Hulu exclusive now, but it got three full years on Fox before moving to Hulu…so I don’t know why you used that as an example.

3. Timmah says:

Yay! The Grinder is my favorite of the new shows.

4. Sam says:

I don’t watch it, but doesn’t Grandfathered do better in the ratings? A bit surprised.

• Chris says:

Might have something to do with stamos potentially having to go to jail for 6 months

• Guy says:

Ratings for both have been very similar, if not exactly the same then maybe a tenth of a ratings point different. However, reviews for The Grinder have been significantly better than Grandfathered. Seems like Fox is placing its bets with the better show and better star (let’s face it, Rob Lowe is better than John Stamos).

• Paul Thibault says:

It does better in the “ratings” as far as viewership but that’s mostly because of it’s time slot. reviews, on the other hand, The Grinder does far better. Grandfathered is a very very awful show with a terrible terrible cast.

5. Kim R says:

Excellent! I like this show better with each episode. Not only are the adults great, the kids are as well.

6. prish says:

Yaaay! They deserve it.

7. Karen says:

Fred Savage makes this show, he is great!

8. Maureen says:

Great news, but I am not surprised. This show is fantastic! Rob Lowe and Fred Savage are great bros and the whole cast works well together.

9. Fred Savage makes this show..his timing is great!

10. tp1943 says:

Unfortunately we watch none of these shows. Different strokes for different folks.

11. Marilyn says:

People must find this little gem. So goooood. Feel lucky to be able to watch it a bit longer.

12. Kathy says:

I’m glad to hear this. I hope that more people start watching it so that it doesn’t get cancelled. Rob Lowe does a great job of making fun of himself and the ensemble works very well. The humor is organic and not forced. I guess that only sex and gore score on TV these days.

13. Joy says:

The show is fresh and the actors make the most of their relationships. The whole family enjoys the show.

14. Julia says:

Hopefully Grandfathered can get the same! That is a great combo of comedies.

• Paul Thibault says:

I’d be sooo relieved if Grandfathered doesn’t get renewed. it would make room for something not so awful. any official word on that yet?

15. Jennifer says:

Yea!!! Love it. BUT … is there any word on Grandfathered? I am so enjoying that show too!!!

16. Diz says:

I think its terrible. I dumped it off the dvr last week. I like Grandfathered though.

17. Lorie says:

Awesome news!

18. Ron says:

I’m pretty meh on the show. But I do really like the cast and things they’ve done in the past. So at bare minimum I’m happy for them.

19. Dede Dalton says:

I truly hope this show keeps airing. I laugh out loud during every episode, and sometimes get a tad choked up, too! The understated humor of Fred Savage is just hysterical, and they way he and Rob Lowe play off of each other is believable. They are like brothers! Love this show.

20. cuius says:

Given how things are going in TV land, this could mean they’re on “The Brink”!

21. Patsy says:

YEAH!!! I love this show. It is my favorite of all the new comedies. Rob Lowe and Fred Savage are great.

22. Joey Padron says:

Happy the show got a full season order! Liking the show so far. It’s good and funny.

23. Bob Backus says:

I watch this more to fill 24 minutes and get a laugh maybe, I guess I’ll have to pay more attention to try to find anything “original” or any “biting humor”. It doesn’t seem to be that different from old Ally McBeal reruns.

24. vpldy54 says:

I love The Grinder! Rob Lowe and Fred Savage are great together!

25. The Grinder is the best comedy I’ve seen in a while. I wish Fox did a better job at marketing because there are many of my friends of have never even heard of the show. Each episode is “Laugh Out Loud” funny!

• SherriViz says:

I agree with everything you said, debincharlotte! Fox should market/advertise it better – hardly anyone i know knows about it but they all know Modern Family….”Grinder” needs more exposure! 👍🏼

26. Chuck Echols says:

I love the grinder Rob Lowe and Fred Savage play well off each other,well written comedy that’s actually funny,also love William Devane (sp) as the father

27. Jeanette Ballard says:

Love love love grinder!! Thank you for renewing. Absolutely enjoy chemistry between Rob, Fred, and William. Besides Rob is looking gggggooooodddddd

28. Susan H says:

I am so happy you didn’t cancel The Grinder! I am a huge fan of Rob Lowe and this show will only get better!

29. Amanda says:

Love the Grinder! It’s hilarious! Hard to find good shows anymore.

30. SherriViz says:

Love, Love, Love The Grinder – ! Such a great ensemble cast – they gel together better with each episode….Its my favorite new comedy! Hope it runs for many seasons!!

31. Barbara Coombs says:

Grinder is the funniest shows on TV! Please keep it renewed. I don’t watch Grandfathered anymore. Take it off