Supergirl Series Premiere Recap

Supergirl: Will CBS Reach New Heights With Its Melissa Benoist-Led Drama? — Plus: Watch the Brand-New Trailer

“Earth doesn’t have just one hero anymore. Now, it has Supergirl.”

You’ve watched the commercials. You’ve seen the billboards and bus-stop posters in your neighborhood. You’ve even gotten Rachel Platten’s “Fight Song” stuck in your head for no apparent reason. (All together now: “Like a small boat, on the ocean…”)

Now, after months of marketing, the highly anticipated Supergirl premiere has arrived — and we want your thoughts on the CBS drama’s debut. But first, a recap of what went down in the first hour:

As Kara Zor-El succinctly tells us in the episode’s opening minutes, she was sent to Earth as a young girl to protect her cousin, Kal-El, after their home planet Krypton found itself in peril. But during her intergalactic journey, Kara was knocked off course into The Phantom Zone — a mysterious area of space where time does not pass. By the time she made her way out and reached Earth, Kara was still a young girl, but Kal-El had already surpassed her in age and begun his crime-fighting career as Superman. And even though Kara was taken in by the Danvers family (including their daughter, Alex), her sole reason for coming to Earth didn’t actually exist anymore. (Talk about an identity crisis.)

When we meet present-day Kara (played by Glee‘s Melissa Benoist), she’s comfortably settled into Plan B: Blend in with the rest of society and pretend you don’t have the ability to fly/see through walls/burn objects to ash just by staring at them. She works at CatCo World Media, an online and print empire founded by Cat Grant (Ally McBeal‘s Calista Flockhart), who would have fit in quite nicely at those icy offices in The Devil Wears Prada. A quick rundown of the workplace dynamics: Kara is Cat’s assistant (and is therefore insulted at least four times per conversation); IT whiz Winn Schott (Smash‘s Jeremy Jordan) carries a major torch for Kara; and it takes Kara about .02 seconds to develop a mega-crush on photographer James Olsen (Desperate Housewives‘ Mehcad Brooks), who used to work at The Daily Planet and won a Pulitzer for his snazzy snapshot of Superman in flight.

Supergirl Series PremiereIt quickly becomes clear that Kara isn’t content to just fit in with the Average Joes of the world, after all. She wants to embrace her powers for real, and she gets the chance to do so when a plane to Geneva — a plane that her sister (Grey’s Anatomy‘s Chyler Leigh) just happens to be on — starts losing altitude over National City. Without thinking twice, Kara takes flight, literally puts the plane on her shoulders and safely guides it into the water. (Sorry, Capt. Sullenberger. You’ve got nothing on Supergirl.)

Despite having her life saved, Alex is none too pleased that Kara exposed who she really is, and she’s confident that Kara’s superpowers will make her a target for the bad guys. (Spoiler alert: She’s right. But more on that in a second.) In the meantime, Kara is practically bursting to tell someone else about Her Big Secret, and she decides to spill the beans to Winn at work the next day. (HER: “For most of my life, I’ve run from it. But last night, I embraced who I really am, and I don’t want to stop.” HIM: “Oh my God, you’re a lesbian.”)

At first, it’s smooth sailing for Kara (who has since been labeled “Supergirl” by Cat, once the heroic plane rescue started making headlines). With some assistance from Winn, she’s able to conquer a car chase, stop a bank robbery and find herself a fashionable-but-functional crime-fighting costume all in the same day. (Might as well add “efficient work ethic” to her list of superpowers.)

But it isn’t long before Alex’s ominous warning comes to fruition. Remember that Phantom Zone I mentioned earlier? Well, when Kara escaped from it all those years ago on her journey through space, she also set free the alien prison Fort Rozz and all of its inhabitants, who are now wreaking havoc on Earth. One baddie in particular, Vartox, wants badly to end Kara’s life, seeing as Kara’s birth mother was responsible for imprisoning him at Fort Rozz in the first place. Oops.

Before Vartox can get to Kara, though, she’s taken in by the Department of Extra-Normal Operations (DEO), a covert government agency whose sole responsibility is to keep the existence of aliens a secret from humans. (Oh, and did I mention Alex works for the DEO, and she’s trying to stop Kara from embracing the whole Supergirl thing so that Earth can remain safe? Yeah, that causes some family tension.)

To make a long story short, Alex comes around at the end of the episode, and she persuades DEO Director Hank Henshaw (Homeland‘s David Harewood) to do the same. Instead of considering Kara a threat to society, the DEO (cautiously) agrees to work with Kara, who can ideally stop Vartox and all of the other dangerous Fort Rozz prisoners. Thanks to some serious heat vision, she indeed defeats Vartox — and, at the end of the hour, she gains another confidant in James, who has actually known about Kara’s true identity all along. (Turns out he was asked by Superman to keep a close eye on Kara at CatCo, and everyone just pretends like being BFFs with Superman isn’t a huge deal.)

In the episode’s final moments, though, we learn that Kara is far from out of the woods. Her birth mother, Alura Zor-El, has a literal evil twin sister — named The General — who oversees Fort Rozz. When The General gets word that Kara is using her powers to defeat alien prisoners, she has one simple request for her henchman: “Find her and kill her.” So… there’s that.

OK, your turn. Did Supergirl‘s much-buzzed-about debut live up to your expectations? Check out a new trailer below, then grade the premiere in our poll and hit the comments to back up your choice!

1. Two cliches in one — the evil twin sister and the evil Kryptonian general, lol.

• Robby says:

There has always been ‘evil’ Kryptonians. Zod and his legions. It’s been a staple since Superman’s Silver Age.

• Actually, it’s been part of the character since the Golden Age, starting with the Evil Trio. The issue is that once the Silver Age began, the editors and writers of that era decided that anything that contradicted Action Comics #1 and every other comic about Superman’s origin would either be shunned to Earth 1 and become part of the Silver Age Superman’s origin or be entirely erased from existence. This is why, even prior to Crisis and the Byrne reboot, Kal-L and Kara Zor-L, aka the Golden Age Superman and his cousin Power Girl, were considered the ONLY two Kryptonians in the Earth 2 Universe in spite of the two appearances by the Evil Trio prior to the adoption of the CCa and subsequent creation of the the Silver Age.

A similar thing happened in the 80’s following Crisis and the Byrne reboot, at which point it was decided that, 1, only one Superman would exist moving forward, and, 2, this Superman would be the only Kryptonian in existence.

It’s been determined more than once that any Kryptonian other than Superman is detrimental to the concept, therefore such anomalies tend to be dealt with and erased from canon due to their detrimental nature.

• Z says:

They have gotten rid of the “only can be one kryptonian” thing in the comics… never seems to stick very long.

• It did for a considerable time. It only came back because Didio couldn’t understand a Supergirl that wasn’t Kryptonian. They ultimately ended up killing all those other 100,000 Kryptonians, making their existence ultimately meaningless.

• Wait is that really Superman’s moms twin? I thought that was just superman’s mom at the very end.

2. Ellinaras78 says:

So much potential and CBS turned it into just another CBS show like all the other.

Of course it’s CBS so I wouldn’t be surprised if the ratings are pretty big (next week, this week post Big Bang pilot will be inflated for sure).

3. Al says:

I can’t be the only one who found it ironic with Chyler on the plane lol😅

4. Dennis says:

Was the episode the same as the leaked pilot or were changes made?

5. Lisa says:

I liked it. The lead character is very likable and that is half the battle in a pilot episode.

• Kate says:

Agreed. The storyline moved well, didn’t bog down. Having some cliches such as the evil General etc. are going to happen in a world filled with entertainment outlets from books and comics to movies, television and online games. What success comes down to is an appealing lead, good supporting cast and good writing. Then the cliches don’t matter as much. We’ll see if the production and writing teams can keep up the momentum and avoid mediocrity.

• PSCali says:

Lynda Carter starred as Wonder WOMAN starting when she was 22 years old. Melissa Benoist is nearly 28 years old and her character is Super GIRL. I like her in the role, but why not Super Woman?

6. Joni says:

I rolled my eyes when I heard about this series but I take back my eye rolls. I loved it and will be back next week.

7. Dean says:

Held off on watching this when it leaked I know sometimes when pilots leak what they actually air sometimes isn’t the same as what got out so I’m not sure if this was different from what leaked online. Show wise if they tone down the ‘girl power’ themes this can very well be as good as Greg Berlanti’s other hero shows. I notice that like Flash and Arrow there are some elements this pilot shares with the other two shows the ‘my name is’ opening for one and right from the get go Kara is suiting up and taking down bad guys and like Arrow and Flash the ending scene sets up a lot of the storyline for the season. What separates Kara from the other Berlanti show heroes is as opposed to Oliver Kara didn’t spend years sharpening and perfecting her abilities with the goal of crime fighting crime and unlike Barry she wasn’t suddenly gifted with them and learning how to utilize them as she goes along. Also the people in her inner circle already know about her secret with the exception of her boss for obvious reasons. All in all a pretty good start.

• Drew says:

The “My name is” thing is taken from the comic books. They usually open with a brief blurb about who the character is and how they operate… Or, at least they did when I was reading the comic books.

8. Amanda says:

So I went into this with an open mind and was disappointed. One, why does EVERY ONE know she’s Supergirl? Second, don’t like the back story, didn’t make sense and lastly, I was somewhat predictable. I would rather liked this on the CW, I wouldn’t have went in with that much expectation. Smallville runs circles around this!

• Alichat says:

I thought that was crazy as well. We’ve just had the pilot and at least 10 people know who she really is. Insane.

• tvjunkie says:

Well other than the secret government agency and the aliens the only people who know are Olsen, the IT guy and her adoptive family. It makes sense the aliens would know who she is and the DEO wouldn’t be very good at it’s job if they didn’t know. I’m sure they know who Superman is as well.

• Eva says:

Huh, to me that made more sense than everyone pretending taking off a person’s glasses makes them look like a whole different person.

• the girl says:

Right. I could believe that her boss didn’t recognize her as Supergirl because the boss never actually LOOKED at her (consistent with treating her like an assistant). But the rest of them not recognizing her? C’MON.

• MFL says:

I liked that her support system know the truth…at this point everyone who ought to know…know…. so the whole secret identity plot is out of the way. The people that know are characters who can help her and whom she can confide in. I didn’t like the way The Flash handled Iris not knowing Barry’s secret.

• Angus says:

Smaillville had one good season..the last one…when it finally ended.

9. herman1959 says:

Loved it! It was better than I’d expected so I will be back next week.

10. Richard says:

I’m not sure most people understand what the word “awesome” means.

11. Ian Barber says:

I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to based on some lackluster trailers. If they tone down the chick-flicky stuff a tad and up the action, I think it could be as good as The Flash and Arrow! The Cat character’s shtick could get old really fast if all she’s there for are witchy comments though.

12. justsomeguy says:

Watched it over the summer when it leaked and again tonight. Still think it was awful. All I can say is I hope Mehcad Brooks gets cast on a better show. Better luck next time, I suppose.

13. Robby says:

Despite everyone and their uncle telling me that this show is DOA (without seeing the pilot), I decided to do something different. I attucally watched the show. And it was great. Stood out from the traditional comic and Man of Steel stories without making it seemed forced.

Here this week, here next week.

14. Sandy says:

I liked it a lot will give it a chance. .

15. lrdslvrhnd says:

My take (based on the leaked pilot, so I have no idea what, if anything, has changed): I’m prepared to like it.
    The evil-twin-aunt-is-the-Big-Bad is either *very* comic book or *very* soap opera, I’m not sure which. I’m willing to withhold judgement on that for now, though, based on Berlanti’s work on Arrow & Flash.
    When she was holding up the plane and saw the approaching bridge, her “Oh, come ON!” made me go back and doublecheck that it wasn’t Chyler Leigh – looked and sounded JUST like her, which is funny ’cause they’re not even supposed to be related by blood unlike many TV sibling pairings who are *much* less similar lol
    The dancing around Superman’s name bit is gonna get very old, very fast. Given that there shouldn’t be *too* much reason to bring him up in the future, I hope they’re able to use the word “Superman” in such cases. But it’d’ve been a heck of a drinking game in the pilot!
    Again, though, I saw the leaked pilot, and I know things change – Minority Report had *huge* changes between leaked pilot and aired premiere! To the point where talking about it with a friend who watched the aired version, I wasn’t entirely sure we were watching the same show lol

16. Michael says:

great pilot cnan’t wait for more

17. peterwdawson says:

Eh… better than expected, but I had pretty low expectations and I wouldn’t say I was blown away either.

18. WingsStef says:

Yes. I will be watching next week. I thought it was pretty good 😊 and lots of fun.

19. Michael says:

I thought the pilot for Supergirl was really good. i can’t wait to see episode 2. the action and fight scenes were pretty great and i liked how they mentioned Superman as well. i thought they gave Kara a good origin story too. can’t wait to see where the series goes.

20. Allison says:

I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the episode. I think it had to do with the nostalgia of seeing my favorites from my favorite shows! Seeing Calista Flockhart, Chyler Leigh, Mechad Brooks, Dean Cain and Laura Benanti brought back fond memories. The show itself is okay. During the introduction, I find myself saying out loud “really? you protect superman? really? well, alrighty then.” Then at the end when she said that superman didn’t need her protection, I said “cool, so she gets it.” Anyway, I liked the show and I found Melissa Benoist to be very likable and adorable. I tend to like hero shows based on how much I like or despise the villain and this villain is kind of meh to me, but I like mostly everyone else on the show so that more than makes up for it. I’ll keep watching – for now at least.

21. KC says:

Loved it, the tweeks they made to the leaked pilot were perfect. OMG that preview trailer. Wow…..

22. Kristine says:

I enjoyed it a lot. * I loved the use of Dean Cain and Helen Slater (former Superman and Supergirl) as the adoptive parents. * I will definitely be watching it in the future.

23. Clyde says:

Way too rushed and a bit clumsy in its storytelling but it was pretty entertaining overall.

It was nice to see a Superman property be actually entertaining and full of charm and joy again instead of a dour slog that confuses seriousness and empty posturing for depth.

24. BarryFlash says:

I didn’t care for it at all. The political/social commentary was a turnoff! Way too in your face! They really changed the character of Jimmy Olsen. At least, he is Superman’s pal.

25. Tiffany says:

I loved it. It about time TV got back in female superhero game.

26. Drew says:

I wanted to enjoy this show like The Flash, but I just didn’t. First of all, they were far too apologetic about having a female hero. Nobody cares that she is a girl or a woman or whatever, except for the writers. They kept throwing the fact around over and over again, as though they needed to make excuses for her. It was painful to watch, especially after seeing the ladies of Arrow kick ass without apologizing for it.
    The writing and directing were both very weak. From having Kara take off her glasses in order to use her x-ray vision (duh) to having her sister standing in her hallway, yelling through the door everything Kara’s neighbors could possibly want to know about the alien living in their building.
    They also tried to play the whole “there’s no such thing as aliens joke”, despite having Superman flying around out there.
    Pilots are not always the best episodes because of the info dump, but this didn’t even do that. They didn’t even pay enough attention to building Kara’s world before making her a hero.
    The show suffered from the elephant in the room at every turn. Superman is apparently a d-bag who abandoned his cousin and never spoke to her again, and doesn’t even show up when she needs him. I get that they can’t use him, but they made his lack of being there into a big deal. It actually would have been better if they told us that Kara did spend time with him and he did teach her. At least then we could assume that the training wheels are off and they’ll just see each other at the family reunion.
    And of course, we have the hacker friend, because all of these shows need one of them. And the secret government organization, because every CBS show needs a high-tech looking place with poor lighting.
    Rather than telling a good story here, I felt like they were just trying to convince me that I should watch this show. Excuse after excuse. Apology after apology. And showing a preview for The Flash at the end just highlighted everything that this show wasn’t.
    It’s a shame. The show could have worked. It just didn’t.
    And what was with the camera angle on the roof at the end? It made it look like Jimmy was talking to Felicity.

• Olivia says:

I care that she’s a woman, because it’s great to finally see one of us get to be the lead in a superhero show for a change. If you’re a guy you wouldn’t understand because you have a million to watch and choose from, but I got goosebumps during her hero shots and it was amazing to see her fight with her powers. Not everything is aimed at you in particular, and I’m sure many other women enjoyed it too.

• Drew says:

I understand just fine, thanks.
        The fact that she is a woman is swell. But I don’t need her and the writers to constantly apologize for it. Why was it an issue? It is stupid, because everyone knows that she is more powerful than all but one man on Earth. Oliver Queen never apologized for being a man. Barry Allen never apologized for being a man. They are just heroes. And if you want a truly great female hero, the fact that she is female shouldn’t be anywhere near the top of her priority list.
        When did Sara Lance apologize for being a woman? When did Laurel or Thea need to make it an issue? They are better characters and better heroes than Kara. Which sucks, because I’ve actually liked the Supergirl character in the past.

• KayCeeCee says:

They did need to justify the name “Supergirl”, because being called a “girl” can sometimes be derogatory when you are a competent woman. It’s not Superboy and Batboy, so then why is it Supergirl. I think that the show handled it well.

• Sheila says:

Agree with KayCeeCee. Also, this show isn’t flash or arrow, however those shows have a secret lab and hacker friends too. So why is it a problem on this show?

• J.Norman says:

Your take and comment is exactly what the producers are after. This is going to be a show about girl power and catering to it.
        That’s not a knock. That is this show’s objective (at least based upon the pilot)

• Drew says:

It isn’t girl power. Girl power is a strong character who can show how capable she is without having to make excuses for herself or apologize for being a woman.
          She doesn’t have to be a badass like Sara Lance, but she shouldn’t be a whiny, pathetic character either. How is that empowering? She is the second most powerful person on the planet and she is still playing the “I’m just a girl” card. And it doesn’t even make sense, considering that she came from a planet where her mother was apparently pretty powerful, and landed on Earth long after women got the vote (which I’m using as a figure of speech, don’t get worked up over it).

• David H says:

I agree. I’m not looking for a gender studies lecture in my sci-fi fantasy entertainment. “Arrow” introduced a number of strong, capable female characters each with their virtues and flaws. But because the heroine is top-billed we now have to call attention to that and politicize it. I really enjoyed the pilot and look forward to the rest of the season, and hopefully they’ll let Kara be more of a Kryptonian warrior than a social justice warrior.

• MiaB says:

I agree with everything you just said. Character development, especially, was lacking.

27. Grace M says:

I was hooked after one episode and I hope it lives up to it’s potential.

28. Jacob Cockrell says:

The pilot episode has some good points and some bad, making it an OK episode. The good points were the cast was very likeable, the back story was good and interesting, and the lead was good. The bad points was the fight scenes were kinda cheesy and the old cliché of evil family members. Also the fact that Supergirl pretty much had told everyone who she was by the end of the episode. I mean, can’t we have some kinda of “secret-keeping” drama.

29. James D says:

It suffered from pilot syndrome too much plot exposition and too little character, but that is to be expected. I thought Melissa was charming and delightful, and in that way the show has a great deal of potential. I do have a few concerns one it will become something a kin to Smallville where you have your monster of the week which isn’t bad necessarily but it has been done. and two as others have mentioned the derivative evil twin/Kryptonian general surely they could do something a little better than that, not that I don’t love Laura Berlanti. With that said I enjoyed it a lot and will gladly tune in next week.

30. Bella says:

I like the leads and enjoyed the show. It has a bright tone.

31. Mr. Tran K says:

I give Supergirl an A. Three things I enjoy most about it: action, true emotions and humor. This should my favorite new show of the season and number one on my list. I’m super excited to see more on Monday nights and CBS has high expectations to make Supergirl a breakout hit.

32. Malaspina says:

Way better than I expected.Melissa Benoist is great.As for the critics,it ain’t supposed to be Shakespeare.It’s based on comics.Enjoy the hopefully fun ride!

33. prish says:

I liked it and the husband gave it a C, so it got a B vote. What really bums him out is her 9-5 job and the boss that wants to downsize, being too close to home. I reminded him that Supergirl was going to save the company, now, with her heroics and photos, and he shot back at me, “Don’t get so worked up about fictional characters, darling.” He might take a peek, as I watch it.

34. Aaron says:

This felt cool to watch. Like something special that will be part of the legend

35. Steve F. says:

Not that bad… the twist with the big bad was surprising (you don’t get Laura Benanti for just one episode!), and hey, we even have an MCU connection!

Also, given what happened to one of Chyler Leigh’s characters, she really should be avoiding air travel.

36. m3rcnate says:

Hmmm. I was super critical of the preview but then watched the leaked copy of the full pilot and found it fairly enjoyable, pretty fun. But it doesn’t hit the spot for me, I doubt I will continue watching it. It was trying really hard and beating me over the head with the fighting sexism/pro feminism comments throughout the episode (All for female empowerment & equality but beat me over the head with any message & i’ll dislike it)
    It is a super girly pilot overall IMO and I expect that tone to continue. Don’t get me wrong I like the lead and Kara character, but the pilot comes off like a Gossip Girl/Devil Wears Prada/Black Widow Trailer (SNL skit), mash-up in tone. The boss is basically a copy of The Devil Wears Prada boss, the lead is a young super cutesy geeky awkward girl and there is family drama with the sister and aunt. :/ eh.
    I don’t think I (27 year old guy) am the demo for this version of Supergirl. I do take in a new understanding/appreciation however for when females complain about shows not representing females well and the females that are in certain shows just being love interests. So far in this pilot we meet 3 males; the nerdy guy who has a kinda secret crush on Kara (trope), the hot muscly handsome guy who Kara has the hots for (trope) which combined makes a Kara-Jimmy-Winn love triangle (huge trope). Besides those two the only other guy left is Hank Henshaw who seems alright as a character but the jury is still out. So 75% of the male cast are love interests in a love triangle with the lead (out of a total 3 male characters). Sooooo…that is lame.
    It isn’t really a big deal but I didn’t buy the “Supergirl” monologue. I get that grown females are often called “girl(s)” significantly more than grown males are called “boy(s)”….but Supergirl doesn’t make sense unless there is already a Superwoman (who is older by at least 5 years than Kara) or Kara’s age in the show/movie/comic is around 16 years old.
    Because besides those two things, the difference between a “Girl” and a “Woman” is real. Is someone called that Devil Wears Prada boss a “girl” she wouldn’t react the same as being called woman. You don’t call your boss “boy” or “girl”. They are adults, just like Kara is, and she is a woman. An adult female is a woman, an adult male is a man. Girl implies immaturity in age, and life experience, just like “boy” does for males. Woman and Man imply maturity, being adults, and having experience in life.
    Lastly the CGI and practical effects and sets (especially the “cave” base) all were at the minimum level of acceptability/believability, if not under.
    BUT…overall the lead is adorable and gorgeous and very likable (similar to Felicity), i’d be cool if they added a male lead who isn’t a love interest and had a cool purpose, but overall I will probably only catch up on episodes stockpiled if i hear rave reviews from places i trust. I realize I am not the target demo of this show, i have no problem with it existing and people loving it, glad there is a show (especially for women & girls) that you love and enjoy.

37. Adam says:

I liked it but I think they were a little too self-congratulatory for featuring a female superhero. That’s fine to an extent – it’s great to see one celebrated on TV – but there was a lot of it. That said I assume that’s just for the pilot to get some early media buzz going and that they won’t still be talking about how great it is that she’s female in a few episodes.

38. danoregon says:

Hard to believe this is CBS. One question though, do they ever mention “Superman” specifically? Can they? I know they talked about the “cousin” “him” etc.

39. Ruthie says:

I thought Owain Yeoman was HOT! Shame it was s one off from him!

40. Davey Elmer says:

Just so people know, there’s no actual embargo on saying Superman’s name, or on having the character appear. It just so happened that they cut out material from the final episode in which his name got mentioned outside of Kara’s narration, and are treating him the way that the President of the United States was treated early on in Veep (present but not focused on).

• the girl says:

Yeah because that avoidance mess was getting real old real quick. I’m like, cant we call him Clark or Kal or something other than “He”?

41. Malissa R. says:

I was actually pleasantly surprised.

42. Mark says:

I actually liked the fact that most of the cast already knows who she is. It takes away one comic book cliche before we get too far into the series.

I was expecting to love it, and it wasn’t quite there. But pilots are often a bit slow because of the exposition, so I’ll give it a few more weeks to grow on me. After all, I love Arrow and The Flash, and I can see the bones of another series I will love in this pilot.

43. BenM says:

It’s so cheesy. I like it though. With the cheese comes hope. I can’t think of any show that is so filled with hope. I don’t know if they can sustain it. It’s nice to have something different though. They did a better job with her than they did with Superman III, IV, Returns, and Man of Steel. I’m also glad to see a kickass woman that doesn’t have to be either a cold emotionless assassin or sarcastic angsty rebel. She can be badass and empowering whilst still be awkward and happy. I’ll keep watching for a bit. I’m not sure it’s the show for me, but I definitely hope it stays on the air.

• Win says:

BenM, I may steal this: “With the cheese comes hope.” Also, I appreciated this note: “She can be badass and empowering whilst still be awkward and happy.” While I’ve loved some “sarcastic, angsty rebel[s]” in my time, this was a neat observation. I wasn’t a fan of the pilot, but pilots tend to not blow me away. Comments like yours and the one currently just above yours by Mark at 11:55 PM are what remind me why I tend to give [many] shows (with an interesting premise) several episodes past the pilot to win me over/bring me in.

44. I saw this episode oh nine times (seven times with the leaked pilot and twice at NYCC) before this premiered and I’ll say that I loved it just as much the tenth time!

• KC says:

You are crazy. How can you watch this junk over and over?

• Diane Weller says:

I watch things more then once to catch what I missed. You don’t like it? Fine, don’t watch it–is someone holding a gun to your head to make you? Calling someone crazy for liking something you obviously don’t speaks more about your social skills than anyone else. I liked it as well, and I certainly wouldn’t call it “junk”. Difference of opinion–try it some time….

45. lame says:

What it may lacked in intrigue it made up in a super fast pace, the bright sunny pastel landscape of SoCal.and not taking itself seriously. All the main characters seemed to be adhereing to the plot directive, have fun. I’m guessing edge of your seat heart thumping action sequences will all have that comic book feel.
    I thought it was a bright shiny way to kink off this series.

46. Ray says:

This is real nice and enjoyable show. Melissa Benoist is a lovely and charming young lady, which was also evident on The Tonight Show. I am looking forward to many more episodes.

47. Eva says:

Yay, a love triangle! I sooo hoped this show would have a love triangle! Because she’s a girl and girls are allll about boys, right?

48. Pat says:

I absolutely loved and enjoyed this first episode. I am just wondering if Superman may appear in order to help her out with these alien prisoners who are on the lose and are now resurfacing.

• Z says:

I dont think they are allowed to use Superman in a more direct way… he has movies to appear in and DC doesnt want to confuse things.

49. KC says:

Could this show be any more ridiculous? I can’t believe anyone would watch this. I think after 10 mins (maybe 8), I fell asleep.