The Player Episode Order

The Player: NBC Trims Down Season 1 Order to Just Nine Episodes

It’s (almost) game over for The Player.

NBC has trimmed the freshman drama’s episode order to nine, our sister site Deadline reports; Episode 9 is currently being filmed, and production will shut down once it’s completed.

The Player, which airs Thursdays at 10/9c, stars Philip Winchester as Alex Kane, a former security expert who now stops crimes of which high-rollers are betting on the outcome. The series also stars Charity Wakefield, Damon Gupton, and Wesley Snipes.

Disappointed by The Player‘s shortened order? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. Dean says:

Pity I only just got into it. Really hate how netwoks sugarcoat cancellation announcements.

• zac says:

AT least now they dont yank it off the air after 2 episodes

• TVPeong says:

Yeah, this is a better approach. Let the show know that they are being cancelled and allow them to wrap things up.

• Chris Allen says:

But it never finished. He never found his wife. I hate being left on a cliff hanger. It’s just like another show that was cancelled called Intelligence. Let the season finish.

• grys03 says:

Too many loose ends.
            1. Where is the wife?
            2. Why did she organise her vanishing act?
            3. Was she a CIA or similar agent?
            4. Cassandra’s backstory…
            5. Mr Johnson’s backstory?
            6. Who is pulling the FBI agents strings?

So many more questions. I’m getting very tired of series being cancelled with no resolution. Seems like the last few years has had more than its share of cancelled shows with unresolved issues.

• wtarin1 says:

I agree with you. There wasn’t any closure for any of them. If there was, would you please refresh my memory. Thank you.

• Sean says:

I’m about to quit watching shows when they are on and just watch them on a service when they are cancelles

2. Eric says:

Lame as heck. I loved this show, one of the best new arrivals of the season in my opinion. Just a fun, action-packed hour of escapism every week.

• Patrick says:

The premise was iffy to start off with. I loved the show, but it was a hard sell. Super rich people, who aren’t super popular/relatable right now, bet on crime. They do so thanks to their magnificent technology, which they don’t use to help mankind. Further, the nearly omnipotent lady computer hacker almost makes it too easy. 20 years ago, when the technology wasn’t so omnipresent, this might have worked. The morals are just a little too murky on this one. Again, I enjoyed it, but I did feel a few qualms about it. I feel like there is a great backstory on the mythology of the show, but it took too long to get into it.

• prish says:

It was no more iffy than a tattoo covered naked amnesiac giving unfathomable messages. I enjoyed The Player, also, and the martial arts were fantastic. The husband griped about the silly premise, but he was glued to every move, and he recorded every episode. When I tried to get him interested in The Blindspot, he dismissed it as boring fight scenes, refusing to see more. The Player is top quality martial arts, I guess, and the suits had better rethink this one, as one they might regret getting away.

• JC1 says:

I agree. I watch both Blindspot and The Player, and the action scenes on The Player are far far better. And personally I like the actors better, the characters better, the mystery better, the shooting style better. The premise of both is ridiculous – I just personally found The Player to be a more fun and intriguing show.

• Temperance says:

It was a LOT more ‘iffy’ than Blindspot. Does Stapleton’s new gig have enough depth to go more than a season? I don’t know, but it’s been good so far.

• Cheryl says:

Totally agree. Much better than Blindspot. Love the cast!

• Temperance says:

I love Philip Winchester, but the show has no legs. Three episodes in, it’s already formulaic. The world building is too flawed, the setup too imbalanced. And how many top level international assassins for hire will he kill by episode 9? All of them?

• CJB says:

I agree. Great show. WHy cancel it

• CJB says:

I agree. Great show. Why cancel it?

3. DonnaMama says:

terrible news last night’s episode was awesome

4. wrstlgirl says:

TPTB @ Blindspot need to create a role for Winchester. That would be epic!!!

5. Ted says:

Too bad. Was really digging this show…had a very old-school action series to it. Wish they were cutting the blah “Blacklist via Prison Break” Blindspot instead.

6. Ray says:

De facto cancellation.

7. nabocane says:

I had hope for this, but after the first two episodes I found the action repetitive and dull, and none of the characters compelling. It’s a shame the writers and showrunner didn’t do a better job.

8. Luc says:

haha I like how they’re not willing to say: canceled.
    No network wants to have the first cancellation of the season.
    But we all know: The Player, Blood & Oil and Minority Report are all pretty much cancelled

9. SayNay says:

It seems this season no one wants to cancel a new show outright, just let it fade into the tv ether with cut episode orders.

10. herman1959 says:

Bye! The premise was silly anyway.

11. ourbonesaredriedup says:

Darn it. One of the best new shows getting cancelled, whilst the formulaic NCIS and others keep going.

12. Mr. Tran K says:

I’m really disappointed about the news. Only nine episodes and done? NBC had high hopes for The Player but with such bad numbers on a Thursday night, it didn’t get much of a big boost for a Blacklist lead-in. If The Player gets canceled, I will probably give up on Blindspot just because I enjoy the Strike Back guys in Stapleton and Winchester.

• Esteban says:

good lord that made no sense your thinking

• Mr. Tran K says:

I have no idea what you’re talking about. You’re like 51% of a complainer and 49% of a whiner. Stop making excuses towards me because I told you guys before over and over again that if I see one mean comment from someone, that person is going to hurt my feelings.

• Temperance says:

Agreed.

• Sara says:

Seriously? You’ll stop watching The Blindspot over the cancellation of a completely unrelated (other than that the 2 main actors from each were on a different, unrelated show together) show? That makes no sense whatsoever.

• Laurie Emerson says:

I agree with you. They never really gave it the chance they gave Blindspot or the hype.

13. Jen says:

This is one of the only new shows that I actually look forward to watching. I hope they don’t cancel it.

14. rcb918 says:

That’s too bad. I purchased a season pass on Amazon, but had yet to watch it. I feel they should’ve waited another couple weeks to see if ratings would increase once Thursday night football and baseball were over.

15. mike says:

Stupid premise but a good action show with a likeable lead actor. It was my favorite new show of the season.

16. gina. says:

too bad. i like it. but i understand, it is very hard to compete with all other Thursdays shows

17. liame says:

I’m not surprised, but I would love to see Wesley and Philip co-star together in another project. The problem with this project, boring plots and I didn’t care about this guy finding his wife because with this type of show “he shouldn’t have a wife”. Come on! He’s hot, sexy and did I say hot”?”. Too bad he wasn’t cast as the lead in Blindspot because that one is doing better in the ratings and I would watch.

• liame says:

Let me elaborate about the “hot sexy” comment before people start going off about how sexy married characters are on TV. To me this character has a James Bond like quality. Get in, do the job, get a little hanky panky and move on to the next job. I’m sure they could have come up with a different and more exciting reason for him to accept the offer/challenge.

18. Ala says:

That sucks. I was really starting to enjoy it and besides Blindspot, this is the only new show that I actually watch. Stupid move by the network.

19. gotuontape says:

I like it; it’s entertaining. Wish it could trade fortunes with Limitless, which is a bore.

20. Ellinaras78 says:

Not surprised.

21. danoregon says:

It seems pretty clear judging by the delayed viewing numbers that people aren’t watching The Blacklist live (which limits the chance of being a good lead-in). I liked the show, thought it had some of the most ambitious action sequences I’d seen on broadcast TV in a long time.

22. Carlos Lee says:

Hopefully, they film a satisfying conclusion.

23. Carla Krae says:

Yes, yes, and more yes. It’s a good show that deserves time to develop.

24. Amy H says:

That’s a shame. I was just beginning to like it after an iffy beginning. No worse than a lot of other shows that are still on.

25. Larc says:

Wonder how many of those remaining episodes will get burned off on Saturday night?

26. JC1 says:

Awwwwww. :(. I’m not surprised – I was expecting it. The ratings just weren’t there. But I was really enjoying it. Favorite new show of the season. If they’re filming the last episode, they probably aren’t going to have a chance to give it much of a conclusion either. Too bad. :(

27. ARGH. Not pleased about this at all

28. Fido says:

Will be disappointed if NBC didn’t give them notice and the final ep leaves this up-in-the-air. At least with Minority Report ending we’ve been told their final ep will work as series ender.

29. MC says:

So much potential here, really should give it a chance.

30. Shawn Pitre says:

A shame. I was really getting into the show. Plus, Charity Wakefield is money.

31. Patrice says:

Well, that’s a shame. I didn’t think I was going to like this show when it first arrived on the scene. but, was pleasantly surprised by how much it grew on me. Seems they keep the crappy shows, and eliminate the good. Loved the show and the actors. :-(

32. Torchwood68 says:

Its a fun show, they better actually end it and not leave us hanging.

33. juno says:

So sad about this. This show is really fun and fast-paced. And Charity Wakefield is gold

34. Dennis says:

Love this show – a very different & orginal premise for TV. Hope they bring it back, but Phillip Winchester could then move to Blindspot. He & Sullivan Stapleton were so good together in Strike Back. It would be AWESOME to team them up again! LISTEN NBC!

35. James D says:

too bad but inevitable. I enjoyed it for what it was a bit over the top action show. It’s really a shame because it has such a great cast. I hope Philip can catch a new pilot soon I really love his work. I also enjoyed seeing Wesley on my TV screen each week I wonder if he will try to find another pilot or go back to do movies I hear Blade 4 might happen.

36. erush says:

If this show is canceled while drivel like the Black List stays on the air it will only prove that there is no justice in the world and it’s clear sign of the end of civilization. I just watched what I think was the third episode in which Wesley’s character fights and kills an Asian crime boss who he grew up with.

37. Maryann says:

I really hate that the producers got no notice so they could tie up at least some of the many loose ends. I can’t stand Snipes, but he wasn’t the star, promos to the contrary. This turned out to be my favorite new drama, with its intriguing twists and turns and layered mythology. Too bad the network was not willing to give it more of a chance, and too bad that the promos did not touch on the complexity or character-driven aspects of the show. At any rate, I am in til the end; I am enjoying the show too much to do otherwise.

38. chumachuma says:

Wesley is great in the show. The show would be much better if they got rid of the woman with the terrible British accent who plays the computer expert and increased greatly the role of the character that Wesley plays.

39. alexd2 says:

Like the actors but the show was meh at best.

And here’s what really annoys me: If they had just made a show about an ex-special forces guy who works in Vegas and knows a rich guy (Wesley Snipes) and a hacker (Charity Wakefield) and they occasionally work together on various cases. Where it’s part PI show, part security consultant, part helping the cops, part helping out casinos and high rollers with problems they encounter, I think that would have been a good show. But this “betting on crime” and surveillance everywhere and all that nonsense was just….ugh.

Too bad. I hope Philip Winchester’s next show is better.

40. prish says:

The husband saw the Player article title on my computer and asked, “Is that a good thing, nine episodes?” I had to break the bad news to him, and he was shocked, “What are they going to replace it with, some brainless comedy?” suits, just a fyi for you, here…realize this is the little guy that pays to see your shows

41. mooshki says:

Darn, I really liked it. One of the few new shows I hadn’t given up on.

42. m3rcnate says:

Called it. Will get cancelled. Which is great because Phillip Winchester can offer SOOOO much more than what this show is trying to do.

43. Marie says:

So disappointed in the cancellation of The Player! Really enjoyed this new show. As soon as I saw the day and time slot NBC put it in, figured it was doomed. I am beginning to think that NBC just sets up new shows for failure. Guess I should be thankful to get 9 episodes.

44. tallsy says:

I feel bad for the cast who gave it their all. Let down by mediocre writing.

45. Jaime Gandara says:

Please tell me the series will be brought back. This is a really good show and will hate to see it end so soon.

46. Jeff says:

It’s too bad this is one of the few shows I liked this season.

47. Paul says:

Everyone who likes the show, send in a deck of cards or just an ace to the network to let them know how much you loved it and want it back!

48. Sarah D says:

What! Noooo. I love this show. I hope Mark Harmon and CBS, get Philip Winchester as one of the cast members for the Navy Seals show they are developing.

49. Sharon says:

Sad. Much better than the hideous Limitless on another network.