Limitless Preview

Limitless Lands Full-Season Order

CBS’ Limitless is indeed living up to its name: The freshman series has received a full-season, 22-episode order, the network announced Friday.

The drama — which stars Jake McDorman as a slacker musician who takes the brain-enhancing drug NZT to fulfill his real potential — opened on Sept. 22 to 9.9 million total viewers and a 1.9 demo rating. Its latest outing on Oct. 20 pulled in 7.9 mil/1.4.

“We’re excited how Limitless continues to evolve creatively each week and stand out with its unique style of storyelling,” CBS Entertainment President Glenn Geller said in a statement. “It’s off to a strong start in a highly competitive environment.”

Limitless is the fifth freshman 2015-16 series to land a full-season order, behind NBC’s Blindspot, ABC’s Quantico and Dr. Ken and Fox’s Rosewood.

The network has also ordered six additional scripts for rookie medical drama Code Black.

Are you psyched to have more Limitless coming your way? Hit the comments!

1. John Jacob says:

What the…………………………….

• liame says:

Hahahahaaaaaa! Thank you, I thought I was in a another dimension. Who’s ever in charge, could you sign my business expense for the month of November and December? ;).

2. Sheila says:

Glad to read this! Lead character Brian is hilarious and has heart. Loved the clay figures he made last episode.

3. Will says:

It may be a tacky Sherlock-ripoff, but the cast is likable and the show doesn’t take itself too seriously. Plus it gives Bradley Cooper something to do in between movies.

4. Tom Whiting says:

Wow, this is a surprise. The show really isn’t that good, snoozer

5. Will says:

Cool…love this show

6. Ray says:

I predict it will dip below a 1.0 sometime before the spring finale.

7. Win says:

Haha – each of the 4 comments here as I post (John Jacob, Sheila, Will, and Tom Whiting) have at least one sentence/phrase that speaks to how I feel about this news/the show itself. Sometimes I’m bored, but the show doesn’t take itself too seriously, so that helps. I enjoy the main character on and off NZT (relatable from the pilot to the clay figures video), and I’m also kind of like, CBS, what the…?

8. Great bradley cooper and code black awesome shows what about POi is that coming back on cbs Person of interest

• Eric says:

Person of Interest is coming back but they’re not sure when and if it’ll be the last season. The cast and crew will supposedly finish filming by December and are treating this season as the last one on CBS. The producers and WB have said they’ll shop the show around to other networks (both on-air and streaming) if CBS doesn’t renew it for a 6th season.

9. Phie says:

“continues to evolve creatively each week and stand out with its unique style of storyelling” LOL it’s a dumb cop show.

• DL says:

Actually I feel like they’ve managed to turn that on its head a bit by making him a double agent working for Bradley Cooper’s Sen. Morra, having to balance his lies on both sides. It’s a solid twist on a familiar formula, and sometimes that’s all you need. I’m pretty entertained by it.

10. Mr. Tran K says:

That’s good news for Limitless but not-so-good news for Code Black. If only POI should come back at some point in time because of CBS’ grueling prime time schedule.

11. m3rcnate says:

I have mixed feelings. On one hand I like the show (loved the movie) and am happy for the show. On the other hand 22 episodes? :/ …. this show doesn’t exactly have a lot going for it in the realm of story and plot to begin with, so stretching out their first season to 22 episodes just sounds like a bad idea creatively.
    This show really needs more going on, it is very episodic (a case every ep) and there isn’t much besides “take a pill, solve the case” in each episode. At least Blindspot has the mystery of who Jane is, and what are her tats? is she good or bad? what is the deal with the boss FBI lady? With the gambling FBI chick? etc. Limitless doesn’t have that.

• Eric says:

The things it also has going for besides the cases of the week are the backstory behind Jake’s partnership with Morra and his henchman Mr. Sands and the ramifications on Jake’s personal life in having to keep such a big secret from those close to him.

• m3rcnate says:

Morra is thin because Cooper will never star on this show, he guest stars some but he is a busy movie star so that will always be thin. The henchmen is just that, a henchmen, how exciting can that really be? His personal life and the secret? Again fairly thin.
        Doesn’t have the depth of mystery and arcing plots and mystery and conspiracy like Blindspot and POI and some others. So far it is fairly thin and to stretch out that thinness to 22 episodes? Yikes. I am not really down for another series with 22 episode seasons where every episode is a “case of the week” type deal. So far his personality and the lead womans aren’t exactly Castle and Beckett or Bones and Booth or any of those other highly entertaining partnership duos.

• Eric says:

How do you know every show will be cases of the week? Just like POI wasn’t the same show when comparing to Season 4 to Season 1, Limitless may evolve over time. There may be episodes that are more serialized or carry over into future episodes. Sometimes it’s best for a show on CBS to build a foundation so they can experiment in future episodes with the characters and storylines.

• m3rcnate says:

Just imagine for a second if Limitless was a show on cable-TV. Imagine it with just a 13-16 episode order a season, serialized. Imagine what they could do with the story and characters if they had that freedom…like Mr. Robot has, like Justified had, like so many other great cable shows have/had.

• smartysenior says:

Some of us like to come home from work and settle back to be entertained by great acting, cute episodes, witty banter, and a slightly off beat take on life. This show doesn’t take itself too seriously and the actors pull it off beautifully, I love the whole cast. Why do you insist on comparing it to other shows? It’s a one of a kind and thankfully not serialized too much either. Also, my pet peeve on Bones and Castle is they turned them into romance novels from pretty cool crime shows so let’s hope you can never compare the two on Limitless to them.

• m3rcnate says:

….great acting?…. dude. You need to go watch Mr. Robot and Breaking Bad and House of Cards if you want to see GREAT acting. This is just a network TV show, the acting is decent at best.
            You LOVE the whole cast? What whole cast? So far there are only two characters with personality, the lead and his dad. The female lead so far is super vanilla, the henchmen hasn’t shown anything other than sitting and saying a few threatening lines, the two FBI guard dogs are personality-less, I don’t know what show you are watching.
            I don’t have a problem with you not being into Castle or Bones for those reasons, but I would argue that story is better than cases because 98% of the time the cases or stupid, poorly written and easy to guess who the murderer was within the first 20 minutes.

• Sheila says:

I don’t care about Jane. I don’t find her likeable. The only thing interesting is that she can fight. Tattoo thing is boring. She or someone else mentions her “body” every episode. Limitless lead is a person I root for. I can’t root for anyone really on blindspot except the black guy. Not enough heart.

• m3rcnate says:

Well, so far there isn’t a lot to like about Jane, she is in fact a blank slate character. She has very little personality because she doesn’t remember anything, so of course she isn’t screamingly likable. The black guy? Why him? He hasn’t done anything at all except nag the FBI team leader because he trusts Jane too much or something.
        As for rooting for people on Limitless…so far the lead is likable but there isn’t a ton too him (yet). The female FBI agent is likable but so far we know very little and she hasn’t done or said all that much. I don’t disagree Limitless has more heart than Blindspot, but Blindspot has more mythology and mystery and potential plots.

12. Jeffrey says:

I love this show. Jake McDorman is definitely what makes this show work. I love the characters wit and humor… and there is just something so likable about him.

13. B says:

This is good news! I already deleted Blindspot from my DVR for its repetitive nature, but the charming lead in Limitless has kept me interested so far. I’m also enjoying Code Black, so additional scripts is at least a good step. I finally gave up on Grey’s this year; I like the straightforward medical approach of Code Black with a minimum of soap and sensationalism in the cases.

14. jj says:

happy to hear this! I haven’t been all that fond of any of the fall offerings but limitless is definitely my favorite of the bunch

15. Joey Padron says:

Happy the show got a full season order! Loving the show so far.

16. Ellinaras78 says:

So this gets a full season and not The Player? Oooooook…

• DYS says:

If a show starts with decent ratings, it usually gets a chance to see if ratings move up or stabilize as opposed to down. That applies to Limitless. If something starts poorly and keeps getting lower, it usually won’t get a chance because it becomes wasted money. That applies to The Player. With that in mind, why is it so hard to understand?

• Mary S says:

I do understand that all programming is money-driven, but I do like The Player better than Limitless, which I also like. I like Code Black and Blindspot, too…most of the other new shows hold no interest for me, at all.

• grys03 says:

Glad that it got the extra episodes. Pretty much the same here – enjoy Limitless as light entertainment, but prefer a bit more story. What really disappoints is that shows with potential for growth like Forever & Constantine end up on the scrap heap. I could tolerate it if they at least chopped some (all?) the reality shows & some of the sillier comedies.

17. Keith Levy says:

Awesome show plus Brian is way got..

18. Bill says:

It is so weird not to see Nina Tassler’s name after CBS Entertainment President (or Chairman).

19. Boiler says:

Watched a couple episodes and reminded me of a poor version of King and Maxwell. But if people are watching good for the show

20. SW says:

This is the only new show I’ve watched all season, simply because none of the others appealed to me, and I’m just tired of getting into new shows and having them be cancelled after one season. I haven’t seen the film, and I think that’s why I love this show – I don’t have anything to compare it to. I’ve noticed that with a lot of fans of this show, actually. The ones who have seen the movie don’t like it, while us who haven’t, like it. I think it has a good balance of comedy and drama, and I’m really enjoying Jennifer Carpenter and Jake McDorman. With all that said, I’m happy to see it get a full-season order.

21. Kris says:

Great! This has been my new favorite show this season.

22. Mary S says:

I was also happy and excited that FOREVER got the full season…but Absent Brain Cells cancelled it at the end of the season. Let’s hope that the Can’t Be Sensible network continues its good sense and renews Limitless for the second season…maybe I will change it’s name to something else.

23. Karen says:

So happy. Love the entire cast. Can’t wait too see what Rebecca says about the file on her father. If Brian will be found out and denied the shot or if his family (father) will be hurt. I hope not. Only a few goods shows this season. I’m glad this one will get an entire season.

24. Maya says:

Yay! Finally. I’ve been waiting for this news for weeks.

25. Jooshua says:

YAY! Best new show of the season, in my opinion.

26. Lima says:

Limitless for 22 episodes ha!ha!ha! -this is gonna get really long but the fact its a funny tv series is why i still watch it….Does anyone watch quantico? none of my 10 friends do

27. Sarah says:

Amazing :)
    It’s a great series and Brian is a great protagonist.

28. retsim says:

Nice one .At least it is entertaining and can be amusing .Code Black has all been done before in many guises .Just another medical drama ..Send it to the morgue with all the other been done to death medical dramas .

29. Claire says:

Glad to read this. I enjoy the show and find the characters, particularly the lead, really likeable. Although I do hope they raise the stakes beyond the usual case-of-the-week plot. The idea of NZT has so much potential!

30. peterwdawson says:

Cool, I actually quite enjoy this show. Despite the hurdles and faults that arose it really works for me, kind of reminding of Chuck to a degree.

31. Ella Jasper says:

Boo!!! IMO, the only reason this show has good ratings is because of its time slot.

32. Good for the fans. How do they know people aren’t just falling asleep with their Televisions on Channel 2 after the 2 NCIS’s are over? If they weren’t asleep, they might realize that CHICAGO FIRE was on. As I said, Congrats to the fans.

33. cej says:

I wasn’t expecting to like this show, but tuned in to see Bradley Cooper’s eyes. I was pleasantly surprised and now look forward to this show each week. The case of the week is mildly interesting, but it’s Brian’s interactions with everyone at the FBI that make the show. (Mike & Ike!) Glad it got a full season!

34. Steve g says:

Great news.. Love the show. This is most definitely the best new show on tv. Always fun and entertaining, never takes itself seriously… And plenty of eye candy ;)

35. Madison says:

Limitless is super funny and I can’t wait.

36. Jennifer Johnson says:

Love Limitless! This article really made me happy to read!

37. Wendy says:

Yes! Yes! I love Limitless, Blindspot and Rosewood. Never watched Dr Ken cause it looked stupid from the clips, but will try it. Like Quantico but stopped watching when it seemed like it would just be everyone chasing her and lieing to her for the whole season. Also love Scorpion but it seemed, by the last show, that it was over.

38. Cheryl H says:

Yes I like Limitless. My highest compliments to the writers, cast, and crew. I hope the show can continue into more than one season. Please keep it. Thank you.