Grey's Anatomy Recap

Grey's Anatomy Recap: Unhappy Meal

In the wake of the horrifically awkward meal served up by this week’s Grey’s Anatomy, there was good news and bad news. The good: Mary Richards may no longer be considered the TV character who threw the worst parties. (Look it up, kids!) The bad: That dubious distinction might have been passed on to Amelia, Maggie and Meredith, who was damn near shattered by the prospect of breaking bread with Callie’s new girlfriend, Penny — you know, the doctor whose bad call cost Derek his life. (And here, Arizona thought that she was gonna need stiffer drinks to make it to dessert!) If you can, er, stomach a recap, keep reading.

PASS THE ALKA-SELTZER | Picking up where “Old Time Rock and Roll” left off, “Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner” began with Mer still beyond shocked to discover that her guest list included, basically, the woman who widowed her. Though she put on a brave face, even as Amelia unwittingly embraced her brother’s “killer,” Mer couldn’t fool Alex. Sure, she was smiling a lot. But, he noted, she was smiling “like [she was] in a hostage video or something.” To her credit, Penny tried — repeatedly — to get Callie to let her leave. But, misreading the signals, Torres just introduced her to a tipsy Arizona instead.

GIVE PEE A CHANCE | Arriving at the party tardy, thanks to her tryst with Andrew, Maggie was supposed to do the cooking. And there was a lot of it to do. As Amelia noted during a survey of the kitchen, “This all still looks like ingredients.” But Maggie quickly realized that she had a “raging UTI” and, fearful about whom Andrew might have previously shagged — “Skanks, perhaps?” — she ran back to the hospital to get a battery of tests run and take “a Silkwood shower.” Given that April didn’t even know where Jackson was staying until he told her at the get-together, she leapt at the chance to step in as chef. Anything to avoid her estranged husband! Meanwhile, Stephanie turned down Jo’s offer of an olive branch to clink glasses with Jackson. (Great diss — you KNOW you’re in trouble if somebody would rather chat up their ex than you!) And just when you thought the evening couldn’t get any more awkward, Callie was called back to Grey Sloan, and rather than let Penny leave with her, she insisted that she stay behind… and asked Mer — Mer! — to “make sure she has fun.”

FOOD FOR THOUGHT | When Penny tried to speak with Mer, Derek’s widow explained that she could make small talk with anyone but her, then Callie would come back, they’d leave, and Shepherd would never have to see her again. Roger that. Isaac showed up with a ton of cheese since Jo asked for some. Amelia almost caught Jackson and Alex ordering tacos and did catch Penny trying to sneak out. Don’t go, she pleaded. “We’re nice people.” Since just then, dinner was ready, Penny was trapped. But there was more to the story. A lot more. Hearing Penny’s full name, Bailey realized that she had a meeting with her the following week — she was Grey Sloan’s newest resident transfer. As the guests began to put together where Callie’s honey had previously worked, Mer cut to the chase for them: “Perfect Penny killed my husband.”

ROUGH CROWD | After Mer excused herself, Penny tried to explain that she had been one of the doctors that had treated Derek. But the temperature in the room got so cold, so fast that frostbite should have been a concern. By the time Callie returned, Amelia was demanding that Penny tell her — tell them all — what happened. “Did he say anything to you before you killed him?” Amelia demanded. When finally Callie put a stop to the inquisition, Amelia hurled herself upstairs. “We’ll fire that bitch!” she told Mer. “We’re stopping this!” In no time, though, Amelia had gotten pissed at Mer for not informing her right away of Penny’s significance. “I did nothing to you!” Mer yelled. And the scene got so bad that she had to tell Owen, “Get her outta here before I kill her!” (Crazy to think that she’d have to say that about someone other than Penny, right?)

AFTERSHOCKS | When Callie found Penny calling a cab, she asked why her girlfriend hadn’t confided in her. Penny replied that it was a big hospital, and she didn’t know if Callie had even known Derek. In Amelia’s room, Owen pointed out to her that the night hadn’t just been awful for her. So, of course, she turned on him, griping about the fact that he was “perfect.” To contradict her, he revealed that there had been a moment when Cristina’s plane had gone down when he’d been glad, because it meant she’d never be able to leave him. “Don’t ever do drugs,” Amelia said, the mood at last lightening, “’cause you will never be able to stop.” As the “party” wound down, Stephanie accepted Jo’s apology. (She’s a bigger person than, in her shoes, I would be.) When Mer gave Alex the okay to go, he asked what she’d do if he did. So, rather than leave, they both started swilling tequila. “Now [Penny’s] a person,” Mer sighed. Callie came knocking to see if Mer was okay. “Yeah, great,” Mer replied. Then shut the door on her. As the episode drew to a close, Stephanie UN-accepted Jo’s apology when she realized “you need a reason for me to have an edge up on you.” Callie confessed to Jackson that she didn’t know how to turn off her feelings for Penny. (Good news for April — he wasn’t sure that a person could turn off their feelings.) And, accidentally running into Mer on her way out, Penny told her, “Tomorrow morning, I am going to file a request to be rematched with another program, and you will never have to see me again.” But, she added, “I didn’t forget about [Derek]. I never will.” In response, Mer said, “I’ll see you Monday. Don’t be late.”

PLAYING DOCTOR | At Grey Sloan, Maggie was understandably horrified when the doctor assigned to her was… Andrew. But when she refused to get her test results from him, he pointed out that he could just as easily have assumed that she gave him an STD or something as she did him. At the hour’s tail end, they were being all kinds of adorable, with her explaining that it was easy to make assumptions about him, because “your hair is very confident and swoopy. It reaches out to people.”

OK, your turn! Were you surprised that Mer okayed Penny coming to Grey Sloan? Hit the comments!

1. Al says:

Speechless
    Ellen nailed it

• Brandi says:

Holy cow! That was so frakking awesome! I loved every minute of it.

• MelB says:

I’m apparently in the tiny minority here, but I actually didn’t love this episode. I found it fairly boring. I’m not hating on Grey’s I love the show, it just wasn’t my favorite. I’ve liked this season without Derek, and I feel like now they are not going to move on.

• It was a high drama, VERY tense episode, with no score and no easy cutaways after awkward declarations, and Amelia acting like a hysterical woman for no earthly reason. Also, no actual patients in danger or (major) medical mysteries.

I can see why you (and others) might not have liked it.

I however, thought it was probably the best written and best acted Grey’s episode in QUITE some time. Kudos.

• zac says:

Not just Ellen. Everyone brought it. That dinner table scene. You can cut the tension with a knife the whole episode. For me, it’s on of the best Grey’s episode I’ve seen.

2. Tony says:

Kudos to Debbie Allen for directing a great episode. Kudos also to Ellen Pompeo, who’s been doing some of her best work since Derek’s death. And Edwards quickly became even more interesting after reaming out Jo.

3. kn1231 says:

Loved this episode! It definitely delivered on the intensity that was promised in the previews. Ellen was on point, as usual. I am really not into Penny, so not looking forward to her being around but hopefully Meredith will whip her into shape. Only thing missing from this episode was more Alex and Meredith scenes, I love their friendship! Can’t wait until the next episode, season 12 has been amazing so far!

4. N says:

More Penny? No. I was just starting to like Greys again!

5. brooke says:

I love drunk Arizona!!!!!!!

6. Ellinaras78 says:

I don’t know why I’ve kept watching this far but tonight is it. The show has gone too far.

• abz says:

In what way?

• Ellinaras78 says:

Where do I even begin? It’s time to wrap it up and give the time slot and space to a new show — new blood.

• Brandi says:

Everyone is of course entitled to there opinion, but I really disagree. I think this is the best Grey’s has been since long before Derrick was kIlled. I loved everything about it.

• harsh says:

You’re still not offering any reasons”?”. This was a great episode with incredible acting from all characters. The problem with some people is there inability to separate fantasy from reality. It’s entertainment, enjoy it or skip it, either way the show will go on.

• Luli says:

No need for that. Greys is killing it this season. I think it’s the best it has been in a long time. And have you seen the rating? Because for show in its 12th season its doing amazing.

• Elissa says:

It’s not just doing well for a show in its 12th season – it’s crushing new shows too. It’s still among the top 5 highest rated dramas on Broadcast. Other series would kill for the ratings Grey’s is pulling. It’s not going anywhere.

• The show is one of ABC’s best rated shows. You are thus one of very few people who think that it is time to wrap it up. Watch another channel at 8 on Thursday. Problem solved.

• Begin anywhere. With actual reasons.

7. Jess says:

Ellen Pompeo is flawless. What a performance. Tvline she should get Performance of the week. Her scenes were amazing especially telling off Amelia.

• flowerduh says:

That was my favorite part of the episode. Because Amelia is always acting like a child! She is so FREAKING ANNOYING! Ellen did an awesome job tonight!

• abz says:

I don’t think its that simple when it comes to the issue of Derek. Amelia is far from perfect and the way she approaches Meredith about Penny/Derek was not the best way, but she has a right to feel heartbroken about her brother and hurt by the fact that she was in contact with another person who saw him before he died while she didn’t. Meredith, as a result of her twisted childhood and youth, often can stick to herself and not always acknowledge other people who loved Derek too. We’ve seen how she’s pushed his sisters away (e.g., Lizzie/Neve Campbell a few seasons ago), how she pulled the plug without even telling anyone in his family as well (of course it was an extremely heartbreaking decision for her, but I’m just using it as an example). Emotions were running high this episode, but I thought, even though Amelia approached her completely wrong, Meredith was a bit harsh on her.
        Anyway, my point is, Grey’s really have not done a good job with the writing for Amelia, but when it comes to the issue of Derek’s death, I think it’s a little more complex than saying she was acting like a child.

• Holly says:

Amelia lost her brother, but Meredith lost her husband and the father of her children! Huge difference! It’s with the same person but not the same circumstance. Those feelings are completely different. That’s like Meredith saying to Amelia she understands her pain of losing a child because she had a miscarriage the day she found out she was pregnant. Two totally different circumstances that can’t possibly be empathized by the other person. Derek’s death played a bigger role for Meredith than Amelia, her life is changed forever!

• Whatevah says:

I liked that the show hasn’t forgotten about Derek, BUT, Really??? Mer would be okay w/ this woman working at Grey Sloan? Uhh I don’t think so and from the previews it doesn’t look like she is. Maggie constantly talking about “Andrew” is really ruining the character. Now her whole life is wrapped up in this intern BLECH..Plus I just don’t like them together. I’d rather she gets together w/ Alex and we get rid of needy Jo. AND Meredith was wayyyyy out of line yelling at Ameliia. Amelia had a right to be p*ssed. I would have been! Like she said she HUGGED the woman. To be honest there were a lot of times during this episode that I rolled my eyes. I told Arizona to shut up numerous times.

• Whatevah says:

I take it you don’t have a brother? Meredith was out of line. You don’t compare loss. Ridiculous!

• But Derrick was also more of like a father figure to Amelia… since they lost theirs so early… but still it was an awesome scene and i love them all!

• delilahgem says:

I love drunk Arizona. EXCEPT when she said she thought SHE should have been dating Penny.

• flowerduh says:

I understand all of that. But Meredith handles all of that pain better than Amelia. Amelia just throws a tantrum and goes off the deep end.

Think about it. As soon as Meredith saw Penny she could have thrown a fit and yelled, “Get out of my house! ” (Like Amelia would have if she knew who Penny really was) Instead Meredith had to process the whole situation. Because it’s not all that black and white. Penny is a doctor who made a mistake. (Just like Meredith has at some point in her career) But it’s more complicated because it was her husband.

On one hand she thinking like a doctor. On the other hand she lost her partner…..the one man that loved her despite all of her drama. (And that is hard to find)

Amelia was selfish and wanted a resolution to her pain. With out thinking about how Meredith feels.

That’s why I say that Amelia is acting like a child.

• Donna says:

I agree with you completely! Derek was Amelia bother and they had special bond; witnessed their fathers’s murder…geez give her a break, she has every right to be cray. lol.

• I think it’s more correct to say Amelia is behaving hysterically.
          I 100% agree it’s NOT a good approach to the character. Amelia has had some seriously messed up issues in her history, and she is rather twisty herself, but I have NOT known the character to be as completely self-absorbed and braindead about what is going on than this … to think that her grief is the only one that matters, or to think hers matters more than the children who lost their father?

Amelia is a brain surgeon. She’s not a STUPID brain surgeon. Her behavior is so beyond understanding, it hurts MY brain. I can’t buy it from the character.

8. Pecola says:

I started out the hating Penny..for what she did to Derek, for her decision not tell Callie (Google, girl, learn how to use it)…I hated her.

But, as the show went on, I grew more sympathetic. Can none of those doctors appreciate that every patient that they’ve ever lost us someone’s Derek Shepard? Maybe they’re not brain surgeons with the capacity to save the world, but the patients that they’ve killed are someone’s husband, father and brother…

I hated those doctors, sans maybe April, for not being able to muster even a little bit of sympathy. For continuing to pile on and exacerbate her pain.

And the idea that we’ll have to watch her be publicly flogged for however long…well, I’m not sure I can stomach it.

• Tee says:

I agree…I typically can’t stand April, but actually was grateful that someone in tonight’s episode was able to voice an opinion other than collective hatred for Penny.

• Coconuts says:

Yea I agree I can’t stand April but she did say something that was needed to be heard…. but I still don’t want jackson to go back to her. :)

• Brandi says:

I agree with you both. April was the only voice of reason tonight. Shocking I know. Especially after the way she has been acting with Jackson. I appreciated her stepping up in that difficult situation.

• Lesley says:

Watching tonigt’s episode reminded me on something what Owen said to Cristina when they first met: Mistakes are how you learn. And Penny learned a lot that night that Derek died. I know, when doctors make a mistake people can die, but doctors are only human and every human can make a mistake. And I think that Penny can be a better doctor through Derek’s death. Albert Einstein said: A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new

• flowerduh says:

Couldn’t agree more.

• Elissa says:

And from what I can remember, the only mistake that Penny made was not standing up and loudly screaming GET A CT!!!!! But, she was a resident. It was not a teaching hospital so they aren’t taught to speak up. While I understand how crazy horrible it would be to have to have dinner with the person that could have saved your husband but didn’t, I really feel like Penny is getting blamed more harshly than she should. In my opinion, every doctor was to blame and Penny’s only fault is that she didn’t insist.

• Daisy F. says:

I couldn’t agree more! I was thinking the same thing. As a resident, I’m sure it’s very hard to stand up to an attending–they can make your life absolutely miserable. Doctors often have horrendous egos and wouldn’t tolerate a lowly resident questioning their decisions. Looking back on earlier seasons of Grey’s, I have no doubt that when Mer and Cristina and everyone else was a resident, they didn’t stand up to an attending either. Penny says that she killed Derek, but really, other doctors not responding to pages and not adhering to protocol were way more to blame. I was grateful that April stood up for her/was the voice of some reason. Poor Penny!

• Mary says:

That is true; however, it still is raw to these people. In time I think they would understand in fact, I think Mer does. But in reality it is hard sometimes to separate when the emotions are still knew. I actually think Shonda is being real with these episodes.

• :) says:

I agree. I felt like that’s why Mer wants her at Grey Sloan,To make her a better doctor. Mer told her to be better and is giving her the chance. Also Mer is dark and twisty. There’s a certain dark perversion to having penny around that fit her

• Edwards also expressed that what Penny went through was wrong. She was correct.

9. VI says:

Best episode of the season….loved Ellen Pompeo

10. Tee says:

I’m actually part of the camp that doesn’t buy that Penny killed Derek; and I actually felt terrible about everyone ganging up on her and repeatedly asking her how she killed him. It was brutal, and I really expected Arizona, or at the very least Bailey, to step in and take her outside or tell everyone to calm down. The fact that Penny does actually come in the following Monday shows that she is brave and a good person, and I’m actually rooting for her. I see the whole thing as her working towards becoming a better doctor able to handle trauma, because she CAN’T forget Derek. The fact that it’s the same hospital as Derek’s widow is coincidental and adds to the drama that will allow the post-Derek storyline to be interesting enough to keep people tuned in.

• Tony says:

She mentioned to Callie that it was a big hospital and she didn’t know if Callie knew Derek. Which leads me to believe that she had some knowledge that people who knew Derek worked at Grey-Sloan. Whether or not that includes Meredith, I don’t know (I was under the impression she knew Meredith was a doctor as well that night. Maybe she didn’t)

• hayes says:

The woman you’re dating is on the board of directors of the hospital you’re applying to, along with Derek and Meredith. If she did her research on Grey-Sloan, that information would surely come up. But this is TV, so…

• the girl says:

Thank you. The woman with whom you shared the worst night of your life was Dr. Grey. You are assigned to work at Grey-Sloan Hospital. You don’t even check first, if there’s a connection? No research at all?

• DarkDefender says:

I can’t recall if Meredith identified herself as Dr. Grey to that hospital’s staff when Derek died or if everyone assumed she was another Dr. Shepherd. But I could see how she may not connect Meredith to the Grey in Grey+Sloan.

• Whatevah says:

It was a stupid plot point. And nobody was buying it. It’s a huge hospital. Derek was working w/ the president! Come on…I rolled my eyes at that too.

11. hayes says:

I felt bad for Penny, but come on. You apply for a program at a hospital called Grey-Sloan and expect not to run into any of the folks who knew Derek?? Also, if that was me, as soon as I see Meredith open that door, I would leave, no matter what anyone says. I mean, come on.

• Tee says:

But then it would be more like logical real life than a TV drama…

• Cornelius says:

Ye, Penny staying was just bad taste. Her applying to the same hospital was bad taste aswell. But being attacked like that was totally unnecessary and made me sympathize for Penny. Mer, Amelia, and everyone else at that table has had bad outcomes whether it be by mistake or not, and if they by some chance ran into the family of that said outcome they would be the person their family’s would hate, (What Penny is to Mer) “their one” as Mer called it. So they should know what Penny has to deal with now.

• hayes says:

I do agree, I felt really bad for her. They kept saying she killed Derek and she wouldn’t defend herself, and no one else dared to say anything. Poor girl. But now that I think about it, it’s completely in character. The way she didn’t push harder to get the CT done, shows that she’s kind of a pushover, and that’s why she couldn’t defend herself on the dinner table.

• Tee says:

She didn’t defend herself bc she said it sounded like she was making excuses.

• Benington says:

Great Point!. She obviously has issues with confrontation and standing up for herself and what believes. I also think she now feels “personally” responsible for Derek’s death because she did not stand up to her attending DR., which also fits in with her personality issues.

• ? says:

She didn’t apply to Grey+Sloan, that’s not how it works. She was placed there.

12. shaw says:

That was great episode tonight. Good jobs Grey’s cast!!!

13. jwilk says:

…and boom goes the dynamite.

14. Luli says:

What an episode!! ELLEN FREAKING POMPEO hit it out of the park! That scene with Amelia has been one of her best performances on the show. Everyone in the episode was amazing.

Some of my fav/wow/highlight moments:
    -Meredith!! ALL her freaking scenes.
    -Drunk Robbins (we need more of that)
    -The April and Arizona friendship ❤️
    -Hope for Japril!!
    -Stephanie telling of Jo
    -MERLEX
    -The sisters (that scene between Merdith and Amelia, wow 💔) I need to see what happens next. ASAP
    -The awkward moment were Meredith can’t take it anymore and tells everyone who Penny is.
    THE WHOLE FREAKING EPISODE.

Btw I can not believe that Penny is working at Greys Sloan, you have got to be kidding me. Also Penny and Callie need to break up. I need Calzona.

And there’s a two week break 💔💔💔💔

15. Cornelius says:

Poor Alex always getting stuck with the worse love interests. Jo is just becoming more annoying each episode and I liked her but now not so much. Blame it on the writing though cause they seem to just cast Jo to the sidelines nowadays or have her start weird drama for no reason.

16. Coconuts says:

Can Jo just GO AWAY… ugh. I was so upset when Stephanie excepted her apology… so imagine my delight when the fool told her that she was awesome because she was sick. Loll great way to make sickness define someone ha ha.

Ellen killed it tonight! Great acting! Was I only one who found it hilarious for meredith to say. “Perfect Penny killed my husband… pass the peas” Pass the freaking peas? And then they were actually passing it…

Amelia may be fun at times but I really wanted to punch her tonight… Kudos to Meredith for not flying her foot through Amelia’s head.

Drunk Arizona is AMAZING. Hilarious!! I really felt bad for Penny after a while but.. why did she stay in that house? Even Torres left…

Even though I hate April.. she said words of wisdom today… which is totally out of her annoying character. And no Jackson! Her words of wisdom are short-lived. Do not return to her!

And what couple is adorable and dirty sexy hot at the same time? Maggie and Andrew! I got to see where they are headed.

Where was Webber?

• Tee says:

Penny had nowhere to go. She didn’t know where she was. She couldn’t get a cab to pick her up because she didn’t know the address of Meredith’s house.

• abz says:

I understand why people don’t like Amelia as the writing for the character has not been great ever since she came from Private Practice to Grey’s Anatomy, but I hate how people are acting like Amelia’s grief wasn’t just as real. He was the love of Meredith’s life, but he was also Amelia’s brother. He was the one she was with when the witnessed their father being killed. He was her family. She idolized him too and tried so hard to be just as good of a surgeon as he was. She loved him and I think it’s unfair for people to dismiss her grief regarding this issue.

• Coconuts says:

I get why Amelia was upset but she always kicks Meredith when she’s feeling just as bad or even worse! When Derek actually died and Meredith made the call to pull the plug… Amelia was way out of line with her. And now again with Penny? After Meredith is in so much apparent pain Amelia attacks her? I wouldn’t be surprised if Meredith punched her….while in her state of mind at that moment.

• abz says:

I get what you’re saying, and I agree with you about issues in the way Amelia has approached Meredith about issues surrounding Derek. I don’t know if I think she was 100% out of line with her reaction when Meredith decided to pull the plug. It was a horrible decision for Meredith to have to make but I can also see Amelia’s side to it. Neither she, nor her mother or sisters, knew about what had happened to Derek till after the fact. She too had no time to process. No time to say goodbye. And in the timeline of the show, I think Amelia confronted Meredith about it after the one year time jump in the show, right?
          Amelia definitely needs to rethink the way she broaches the subject of Derek’s death to Meredith if she wants to prevent furthering fracturing of their relationship (although with Meredith telling her in another episode that she doesn’t really like her and now with the events of this episode, I don’t know how they’ll move past it), but I also think that when Meredith is at an emotional state where she is calmer, she needs to at least try to acknowledge that Amelia’s grief over losing Derek is real and she has a right to feel and hurt over it.

• W says:

Widow trumps siblings. Every. Single. Time. A widow ‘s pain and feelings cannot be shared by anyone else. No one else loved him in the way that she did. They slept together, shared a past together and most importantly planned a future together. They had children together, a labor of adoption and childbirth. She literally watched the love of her life die in front of her after pulling the plug, knowing with absolute certainty nothing could be done to help him. She had every right to call Amelia out in the way that she did because losing Derek didn’t change her life the way it changed Meredith’s.

• A.F. says:

@W: Why should widow trump sibling?
            If the siblings were as close as Amelia and Derek and gone to so much together, then why the f** should widow trump a life long relationship like a sister?

• abz says:

@A.F.: I have to agree. I understand @W’s point about the different between Derek’s relationship with Meredith from anyone else in his life, but the way he/she comes across is as if it’s some sort of competition of who wins the right to grieve. What about the pain his mother feels (if they had shown her)? Her only son. The one she gave birth to and raised and loved. You think Derek’s mother wouldn’t be grieving just as bad as Meredith is. It’s not a competition.
            Based on what we’re seeing on the show, I think that part of Amelia’s behaviour towards Meredith stems from the fact that she has been made to feel as if her feelings/grief doesn’t matter.

• Ella says:

Wives come and go, a sister is for life.

• W has it wrong — CHILDREN trump siblings. Children who lose their parent.
            This isn’t Amelia’s issue to own. She is not the person who was MOST wronged by Penny — the children were. Meredith is 2nd as the woman who has to raise those children alone now.

Amelia’s day-to-day life is completely unchanged by Derek’s death. He was not her caretaker, parent, guardian, nor anything else earthshattering.

• Sam says:

Unfortunately, her grief doesn’t matter in the same way. Amelia is trying to make it all about her and it’s not. Like Mer said, nothing was done to her, it was all done to Meredith and her kids. Go look for similar grief with her other sisters who share that similar pain. Because I’m sure losing Derek was a hell of a lot harder than losing Lexi.

• Whatevah says:

I like Amelia. I don’t care what anyone says, she had a right to be mad.

• Elissa says:

She may have had a right to be upset, but when she says, “I can’t believe they are doing this to me” I wanted to scream, “Its not all about you Amelia!!”

17. Ryan says:

Jesus Christ, what LAZY writing. “Penny replied that it was a big hospital, and she didn’t know if Callie had even known Derek.”

Really? It’s public record that Callie is ON THE BOARD WITH DEREK AND MEREDITH.

Callie takes Penny to a dinner party and doesn’t say it’s at Meredith and Amelia’s house!?

18. ingreenmts says:

Ellen did a great job of acting. Penny can leave now. No chemistry. Drunk Arizona was funny. Looking forward to seeing who she get paired up with.

19. Babygate says:

Perfect! Calzona fans will probably disagree but Callie and Penny look more authentic together than Arizona and Callie had for a very long time. The little peck on the lips, the closeness and physical contact are the little things that communicate how much they care for each other. I’m still conflicted about Calzona but as a Callie fan, I like Penny. Everything else was outstanding. Arizona was outrageously funny. Love Maggie and DeLuca, loved the April and Arizona friendship and Ellen Pompeo won all the awards. outstanding episode. My only criticism is, Callie is wrong. Avery put on the board by his mother was and will always be nepotism.

• Anna says:

Well, his family bought his seat on the board…just like Meredith, Derek, Cristina, Callie, and Arizona bought their seats on the board.

20. rebecca says:

Drunk Arizona is my favorite Arizona. “Callie picked a pretty Penny” made me laugh.

21. Bartbro says:

The creator/writer oft his episode deserves the Emmy. Hands down. Brilliant writing and brilliant acting! Thank you!

22. Where is the poll on this episode?? Cause it would be off the charts!! Ellen nailed tonight!! And for the first time I saw something there with her and Alex. If they are the end game…I think I could totally except that! They both have been through hell, and he was fantastic being there for Merideth! He was watching her all night, gave me the hint of more, and as a from the beginning Greys fan…I can see it! Not a huge fan of Jo or Stephanie for that matter. Love Maggie getting her groove on and loved drunk Arizona!! Love the hope for Jackson and April!!

• Kim says:

I agree on Alex and Meredith. From the beginning I loved the idea of them together bc they just got each other,but I loved McDreamy too! Really a fan of Jo and Alex, but I am starting to see end game with Meredith and Alex! Jo might be too immature, I will see how it works out, but a Meredith/Alex romance I won’t hate!!

23. David says:

Best episode of this series in years.

24. Red Snapper says:

I get that Meredith and Amelia blame Penny and their anger towards her. Mistakes were made with with Derek that night but they weren’t all her mistakes. She should have pushed harder for that test but she was just an intern, right or am I remembering it wrong? She’s the person who they will always associate with his death but I don’t think she killed him. I’d say that the one doctor who took forever would be the one to blame but again I don’t remember everything. I thought someone there would have been a little sympathetic to Penny. They are all doctors. Most if not all of them have had some sort of a similar experience. Like Meredith said, Derek is her one.

25. abz says:

This episode was PERFECTION!!! I can’t describe it without using the word INTENSE. I was on the edge of my season. We all have our issues with Shonda Rhimes shows, but I can definitely say, well done, Shonda. One of the finest hours of television I’ve watched this year.
    Is it just me or has Ellen Pompeo gotten better and better with each season of Grey’s? She was amazing this episode. It was heartbreaking to watch.
    I felt so bad for Penny. I don’t think she’s completely to blame for Derek’s death. It was so tough watching everyone gang up on her. The actress was really good. The terror and the expression on her face. She was like a deer caught in headlights. It was tough to watch.
    I have not been a fan of what the show has done to Amelia since they’ve brought her on the Grey’s, but it always makes me sad when she hurts. Scorsone has this way sometimes of making me feel all the feels when she’s cries at these types of moments. I do think Meredith was very harsh on her and has been harsh on her regarding Derek. I feel like there is a selfishness to Meredith sometimes when it comes to Derek where sometimes she refuses to acknowledge certain people who also loved Derek too. Of course she was his wife and it was a great love story, but the way she rips into Amelia and the way she pulled the plug with no regard for his mother and sisters is kind of sad. Of course, it probably stems from her twisted life and the fact that she never really had family growing up around her. And I’m not saying that Amelia is perfect. Amelia definitely needs take a moment and understand what Meredith’s going through with regards to Penny and also rethink her ways of approaching Meredith about Derek. But naturally, emotions run high.

• Coconuts says:

It’s the spouse’s decision to pull the plug, not the mother’s or sister’s. And how would have telling Amelia and the mom about it make it better to pull the plug? Sounds much worse to me. I agree with Meredith’s actions on that part and I have a loving family. Amelia was a bit too selfish tonight… she pretty much said ” Ef your feelings and pay attention to mine”. People like that get punched lol.

• abz says:

I know it’s the spouse’s decision, but obviously it would still hurt the other family members too. It wouldn’t have made it any better, but as evidenced by Amelia’s reaction, I don’t know if it would have made it worse. She’s constantly left to wonder what if she had been there or about her last moment with him and wishing she could have said goodbye not knowing the last time she spoke to him or saw him would be her last.
        What’s done is done and obviously Amelia has to accept it eventually. Amelia is definitely a deeply flawed character, but I think the issue we are seeing with her is that she might feel that she has been treated by Meredith (not just in this episode) as if her grief doesn’t count or isn’t real or like she doesn’t have the right to feel the way she is feeling in the moment.

• Sissy says:

Possible that Mer did not want to bring in Derek’s family knowing that there was nothing more that could be done to save him. Even Derek in his last death bed scenes knew the doctors at the small hospital missed the opportunity to save him. Amelia would have tried to save him and prolonged the inevitable. As hard as it is for Amelia to accept, Mer saved her from living with the reality that if she tried to save Derek she would have failed. He was gone. Yes, Mer might have called his family so they would have a chance to see him one last time, but in the end, she alone made the decision to take him off life support.

26. Velocisexual says:

Best GA episode in years!!! I’m in awe for everyone responsible for creating this. Amazing tv.

27. DarkDefender says:

In the top 10 of all time episodes of Grey’s and quite possibly top 5.
    Everyone was excellent, but Ellen Pompeo stood out as both shell shocked, raging mad, cordially nice and unexpectedly sympathetic. She definitely had should get a nod from TVLine for the performance of the week and this is the episode they should submit for this season’s Emmy consideration.

28. Allison says:

I feel that given the high emotional impact of tonight’s episode that I really shouldn’t have enjoyed drunk Arizona so much, but I can’t help it, I did! Drunk Arizona is fun and lively and needs to stick around. If Arizona could keep that personality without the alcohol, it would be awesome! She and April were so cute and funny together. I loved how April kept taking Arizona’s wine and drinking it and then she took over preparing dinner. I knew that Stephanie and Jo making up so soon was not going to last long and sure enough they were at each other’s throats by the episode’s end. I appreciate the understanding April showed to Penny. At least she and Owen gave the girl a break. Maggie was also hilarious. She and Andrew are entertaining and charming to watch. I was not surprised that Meredith okayed Penny coming to Grey-Sloan because that is part of her character. She’s long suffering and strong and she does what she feels in her gut is the right thing to do. I am sure she believes that Penny will get the training and experience necessary at Grey-Sloan that she wouldn’t get anywhere else; although the promo for the next episode promises to be more than challenging for Meredith and Penny both and honestly how could it not. I haven’t decided if I love or hate that Penny will be in our faces for the foreseeable future, but Shonda knows drama so she knows what she is doing so I will stick with it. I am curious to see how much longer this season will be fun and light with Penny on board…hmmm…I wonder if that saying find a penny pick it up and all day long you’ll have good luck will prove true in this case,,,well, we shall see.

29. Antwon303 says:

That episode was outstanding. Everyone stepped up their game: cast and crew. Kudos to Debbie Allen for directing this standout episode and of course to the writer. But man Ellen Pompeo impressed me tonight. She was on fire from start to finish. Tonight we saw Grey’s Emmy submission…as well as Ellen Pompeo. This shows why GA is still on the air. It’s season 12 and they are having a creative resurgence. That was the best dinner party ever!

I am so proud of everyone involved. *Standing ovation*

30. Alisha says:

Barring Mer & Amelia, everyone else’s reaction was just plain dumb. I mean I get that Derek meant alot to them but they’re doctors for christ’s sake!! They should know better. I was glad when April kind of stood up for her. I know many people hate April but Ive always loved her & today’s scenes just made me love her more.. and any Jackson/April interactions just make me happy..

31. Antwon303 says:

I just found out this was the 250th episode of Grey’s Anatomy.

32. Shru says:

What a fantastic episode! Ellen Pompeo was flawless. I’m loving Alex more and more each episode. It’s so weird to think how he started out and where he is now. His friendship with Meredith is truly amazing. I know Cristina and Mer have that whole best friendship thing on a lock down but I believe that Alex is equally if not more as good a friend of Mer’s. It’s hard to feel bad for Penny knowing the amount of pain Mer is going through. This ep gave me hope for Jackson and April <3. Also drunk Arizona?! Way too awesome! Loved that scene between Owen and Amelia.. It was sweet (although Amelia was quite irrational for yelling at Mer like that).

33. Ron says:

Good episode until the final scene. There is no way in hell things would play out like that. Penny still deciding to work at Grey-Sloan might be the dumbest and most unrealistic storyline this show has ever devised.

34. dil says:

all my senses are in overdrive.

last night was hands down one of the best episodes of all time.

maybe in top three even, but definitely top five.

amelia, meredith, arizona, owen, april, alex, jackson…..every single person performed par excellence.

35. Mara says:

Penny gets to stay at Grey Sloane? Come on — that’s ridiculous. That would never happen and not something I am even remotely interested in watching. This show has gone from awful to horrible.

36. jamiecox1 says:

If I remember correctly… After Derek died, Meredith gave a speech to the Dr that was crying outside apologizing to the wife of the patient that died. Meredith told her…
    “Everyone has a Derek, it either can make you a better Dr or make you realize your not meant for this career. Learn from it. ” I could be wrong…. But the words, actions, and short history reveal of where Dr Penny came… Shows Meredith taught her to become the Dr she is today. Grey-Solan is known for its learning and teaching ability. Maybe… Just maybe… The wisdom, teaching ability, and knowledge Meredith has already influenced into Penny will just be the reason she was brought into the lives of Derek’s friends and family. Meredith has a gift…. She should, could, and would be able to teach someone to become extordinary like Ellis always told her to be.

BTW… Wonderful performance tonight!! Loved that Alex watched Meredith and picked up on something happened or was wrong. Now that’s a true friend!!

• Thank you! This is exactly what I thought. Even if Meredith hates Penny and everything she represents, she has grown into an educator. And she knows that Penny need to be taught. She knew that night when she talked to Penny about what happened to Derek. And even though she was fuming after dinner, when she ran into Penny in the hallway, I got that she was reminded again that she needed to be taught to never let it happen again.

It was totally in character. Meredith does what needs to happen and will always sacrifice her personal health and well-being to do so.

37. Pat says:

I was numbed by tonight’s episode. I have always felt bad for Meredith and still do, but I also felt bad for Penny. That was definitely, the dinner party from hell. I wish they would stop using the word kill. Penny did not kill Derek, she lost him under her care. I wanted to slap Amelia for the screaming she was doing at Penny. I did not like her character when she moved over to Grey’s Anatomy but then I started to come around. Unfortunately, after last nights episode, I am disliking her again. Next week promos are disturbing with what Penny will be going through at the hospital. So I can honestly say, that this episode was one of the most uncomfortable ones I have ever scene.

38. Valentina says:

Can I just say, I am loving Maggie and Andrew!

39. EM says:

Great episode and great acting by Ellen Pompeo. Do wish the episode had ended with Meredith shutting the door on Callie. Don’t need another new character on the show. They can’t do justice to the ones they have now. Where was Richard Webber, an original, in this 250th episode?

40. jules says:

Well done Ellen, fantastic performance. Hooray that Meredith was finally allowed to scream at Amelia, who seems to be so ‘me, me, me and my tragedy’ that she hasn’t had any concept of Meredith’s pain and grief. It will be hard to see Meredith’s pain of working with that resident though. I thought we were getting more male characters into GA.

41. arlielaurie68 says:

I hate Stephanie. I wish they had killed her off years ago instead of Mousey. Please let her be our staff tragedy this year and be turned into pink mist….

42. Tennisnsun says:

Best episode of Grey’s in years. Ellen Pompeo was magnificent. I love the chemistry between Maggie and Andrew. The introduction of Penny was contrived and totally unbelievable. Why would she even accept an assignment to Grey Sloan when she had to know she could be in proximity with those who knew Derek? Not buying she wouldn’t have had a Derek conversation with Callie before going to the party. Yet, if she hadn’t shown up at the party we wouldn’t have seen Ellen Pompeo at her best and the beginning of a new direction for the show.

43. Kaitlin says:

Just a thought on the Mer/Amelia fight: I totally understand where both of them are coming from, Mer lost the father of her children, the man she was going to spend her life with, but Amelia lost her brother, the person she grew up idolizing, the one person who truly understands the trauma she went through of losing her father at such a young age. How can Meredith treat her like she hasn’t lost anything? Especially when she knows what it’s like to lose a sibling. Granted, she didn’t grow up with Lexie and doesn’t have the long history with her that Amelia had with Derek, but you’d think she’d be a little more understanding that she was not the only one who loved Derek and feels his loss.

44. That hair line tha Maggie had was supposed to make some kind of parallel with Derek’s hair? Because there is no other McDreamy. No matter how good your hair is.

Also, Meredith fight with Amelia was EVERYTHING !

45. Kim says:

Love Alex Karev more every episode! Ellen Pompeo this is your Emmy submission!

46. Will says:

Holy cow…a lot of great performances in this episode. Mer, Amelia, & Owen.

47. Will says:

Also, give it some time for them to forgive Penny. The doctors weren’t only colleagues, but they were close friends. Mer had “balls” to indirectly forgive Penny by telling her to show up for work on that Monday. Amelia, on the other hand, will take a bit longer.

48. Courtney says:

As longtime fans, WE needed that episode. To watch Meredith in a full rage…we finally got to see her grief and experience it for ourselves. That was missing at the end of last season. Everything got moved forward so quickly, we never had the chance to sit in it with them. Last night, we got the chance. That episode was VERY well done.

49. robandco says:

Amazing episode. That scene at the table was so awkward and the tension was amazing.
    Every one except April acted like a real jerk. I understand they are still grieving but they were interns or residents once and they killed people. They should know better.
    Ellen Pompeo was amazing. I loved that Meredith exploded at Amelia but Amelia is sort of right to be angry at Meredith.
    Edwards being mad for that was weird but I like that they are testing this friendship.
    Owen was perfect indeed.

50. LC says:

One plot point I have to pick on…Penny didn’t know if Callie and Derek knew each other? That girl needs to work on her Google skills and do a little research on her future employer. Any hospital, or any business for that matter, makes their governing body a matter of public record. While Derek’s name would probably have been removed, Mer’s would have been there along with Callie’s.