Empire Ratings Season 2

Ratings: Fox's Empire Enjoys Its First Season 2 Uptick

Fox’s Empire this Wednesday drew 12.3 million total viewers and a 4.8 rating (per finals), ticking up in both audience and in the demo for the first time this season.

Prior to this week, the returning megahit had experienced four straight episodes of declines.

Opening Fox’s night, Rosewood (5.3 mil/1.6) added a few eyeballs as well as two tenths in the demo.

Elsewhere in the ratings….

CBS | Survivor (9.1 mil/2.1) and Criminal Minds (8.5 mil/1.6) each dipped a tenth, with the latter hitting a series low, while Code Black (7.1 mil/1.2) was steady.

NBC | Mysteries of Laura (6.8 mil/1.1) rose a tenth, SVU (6.3 mil/1.5) was flat and Chicago P.D. (6.2 mil/1.4) dipped a tenth.

THE CW | Arrow (2.4 mil/0.9) ticked down just a bit, while Supernatural (1.6 mil/0.6) slipped 16 and 25 percent.

ABC | The Middle (7.1 mil/1.9) dipped a tenth, Modern Family (7.8 mil/2.7), black-ish (5.8 mil/1.8) and Nashville (4.5 mil/1.1) were steady, and The Goldbergs (6.5 mil/2.1) rose a tenth.

1. mollytanner says:

Well, after that 1st inning of the Cubs/Mets game I think it was safe to find alternate programming.

2. wrstlgirl says:

I keep forgetting that Code Black is on. Saw the first episode and thought it was pretty good. Does it have staying power ??

• Floyd Smith says:

Code Black was really good last night. The writing, directing and acting are meshing really well together, and the show has some of the best one-liners on TV. The addition of Cress Williams is also a huge positive. Hopefully, more viewers will find it.

• Rachel says:

I think it does. It’s more enjoyable to watch than most medical dramas on TV, imo.

• Ellinas1978 says:

It’s CBS so it will stay on. You have to screw up pretty badly to get cancelled at CBS.

3. Mr. Tran K says:

Great to see Empire rise up in numbers for the first time this season and I hope that Cookie didn’t want to throw one of her temper tantrums. BTW if I see Sg. Grant’s name pop up on the screen, I’m 100% sure he’s a “cyber stalker” and has been ignoring me but if it does I’ll become like Peter Quinn from Homeland.

4. pam says:

So sick of Empire. Its such a stereotyped show and it makes me embarrassed POC watch it and praise it. Great job catering to what everyone thinks of poc. Dance for them.

• Coach Taylor says:

Then don’t watch it

• Sally McLinn says:

Turn to Blackish, it was the funniest last night.

• Annie says:

I think that the characters are too complex to be written off as mere stereotypes. Cookie is not some stereotype of an angry black woman. There is a reason why she is upset. She feels abandoned and mistreated by her family, and at some point pretty much all of them have done something to hurt her.

Considering that the anti hero is the in thing for every drama now, and the popularity of shows like Mad Men, Dexter, Breaking Bad and Sopranos, some of which show a lot more violence than Empire does, I really don’t get the complaints, or labeling this as an example of how black people have low morals.

• Antwon303 says:

You’re sick of it…yet you are posting about it? LOL. You know what’s so great about free will…you have a choice…the same as other do to watch it. Maybe POC or even non POC can see it for what it is: ENTERTAINMENT.

5. SayNay says:

How are people still watching Rosewood? Are they just killing time until Empire starts? I’ve tried and everytime I end up doing something else.

• Mr. Tran K says:

Really wasn’t happy that Rosewood got a full season pick-up by Fox. Hope it’s going to get one season tops. Complain if you dare.

6. Annie says:

I’m happy for Empire. The episode was very good, and it looks like the ratings have stabilized.

7. ninamags says:

Well, it was a Cas heavy, boring episode so of course ratings were down. Not even Action Ackles could get people to tune in.

8. LT says:

ARROW was great last night.

9. MFL says:

Yay for TMoL…

10. Beckstle says:

Yay! Steady goes Code Black – even as Criminal Mind dips! I’m loving Code Black – it gets better each week.

11. kmw says:

That’s nice that FOX had a night when both shows rose. Of course both will be off next week for World Series but still good. Everything else seemed normal except Survivor going down.

12. Cher says:

Glad they are Getting back to the formula that built the franchise, Taraji P. Henson (Cookie) works wonders. This season there seems to be an attempt to stoke male egos rather than simply allowing Taraji P. Henson to do her job. Many are pointing out show runners efforts to sabatoge her wardrobe, hair and water down the character she made icon. Her already established name, draw and promotional launch this show with records ratings. Many laugh at notion that Empire made Oscar-SAG-2X Emmy nominee Henson famous since she came to Empire fresh off of a number 1 movie that she also executive produced. Empire also used her marketing plan for that movie. If fox thinks they can play games with Henson and her fans, they need to play cause attention to what happened to POI, when they thought they could discount her without any consequences.

13. Relaxx says:

I’m really excited that Empires numbers went up this week. The last two episodes have been wonderful to watch and I’m glad more people tuned in. I can’t wait for another installment in a few weeks.

14. Dee says:

I wouldn’t worry about
    Empire even if the ratings were to slip some because they would have to slip a ton on Fox to be remotely in danger. It is a MEGAHIT. There are simply not many shows, let alone scripted one hour dramas that are currently better rated, especially in the key 18-49 demo. I can only think of maybe NCIS, which is such a safe (and to me) boring show.