Gotham Season2 Ratings

Ratings: Gotham Slips to Series Low, NCIS: LA Hits Season Highs

Fox’s Gotham this Monday drew 4.2 million total viewers and a 1.3 demo rating (per finals) opposite both a well-watched Monday Night Football match-up and MLB playoffs, dipping two tenths in the demo to a series low.

Leading out of that, Minority Report (1.8 mil/0.6) also hit new lows.

Elsewhere in the ratings….

ABC | Dancing With the Stars (12.5 mil/1.9) rose 8 percent and two tenths to best-since-premiere numbers. Castle (6.7 mil/1.1) hit and matched series lows.

NBC | The Voice (11.4 mil/3.0) dipped 5 and 9 percent week-to-week, while Blindspot (7.8 mil/2.1) slipped 8 and 16 percent.

CBS | Big Bang (14.7 mil/3.9) was steady, Life in Pieces (8.5 mil/2.1) rose three tenths to a best-since-premiere rating, Scorpion (9.5 mil/1.8) ticked up and NCIS: LA (8.8 mil/1.3) hit season highs.

THE CW | Both Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (790K/0.3) and Jane the Virgin (840K/0.4) slipped in audience while flat in the demo.

1. LaurenMC says:

I’m surprised Castle went up. This season has not been good so far. The weakest one thus far.

• DD says:

disagree 100% last night is one he best episodes in a long time

• LaurenMC says:

I didn’t see last night’s episode yet, but the rest have been weak. The contrived separation of Castle and Beckett makes me roll my eyes. And, Alexis solving cases with her dad is just silly. I’ll keep watching because I’ve been a fan for years, but I’m disappointed.

• Ginger Snap says:

“I didn’t see last night’s episode yet,”

You just pointed out the fallacy with the overnights.

It really doesn’t matter what those numbers are. You can only say that a few more eyeballs sat down last night at ABCs scheduled time to catch Castle. It’s not a description of the total number of viewers.

Suffice it to say that last night’s episode was enjoyable and more viewers may choose to watch the show in the next seven days because of the positive response of those who have seen it .

• kirads09 says:

Agree. Thought it great!

• John NYC says:

It was a fun episode within an interesting arc, so people watched.

• ndixit says:

Wait till the final ratings. Castle always adjusts down.

• MFL says:

I’m here for Life in Pieces….it’s doing really well, more people need to keep tuning in. It’s LOL funny! Don’t let the 4 diff story structure put you off…it’s quite refreshing

2. Boiler says:

Unlike the couple hundred complainers people still like Castle. The CW’s ratings are well deserved. Some very stupid decisions

• ndixit says:

Wait till the final numbers. Last week prelim numbers were over 7 million before they got adjusted down.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Castle has “always” adjusted down, “ndixit,” because there has been football in the numbers — which is not the case this week. So any downward adjustment would only be because of DWTS overrun.

• ndixit says:

Even without football, Castle tends to adjust down. At least in terms of viewers.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Demo stirs the drink. We shall see, quite the midday cliffhanger!

• ndixit says:

I saw that the final numbers for Castle are 6.67 million viewers and 1.1 demo. Lowest viewership of the season along with joint lowest demo. Not a big change though. This entire season has been in the 6.7-6.8 million range.

• Christina says:

I’m sure there are more than a couple hundred complainers, otherwise the series would not be hitting series low demo numbers.

• Liz says:

Well, I mean, the series may be hitting series-low demo numbers, but it has been for the duration of the season. Not saying I love the storyline, but the ratings have been consistent since 8×01 premiered, so I’m not sure how much of the low is attributable to the complainers. Seems like people checked out before the season even premiered.

3. DD says:

I think Gotham made a huge mistake when they killed off Jerome, I wanted to see a lot more of him

• tvjunkie says:

the actor is under contract on another show, so his availability was somewhat limited anyway

• Lauren says:

Huge mistake. They could have kept it ambiguous and hung on to viewers who were there for Jerome as the future Joker. Instead they alienated a lot of fans.

• Walkie says:

Maybe. But those fans who were alienated don’t get it.

• Sheila says:

The thing that might alienate me is the fact that Gotham looks like it will be a black hole in the ground years before Bruce ever grows up. There is no balance. Evil rules. The good cops are not effective. OK this is “rise of the villains” but it is just ALL bad guys winning. Nothing to root for. I like the two kids in this, but they aren’t doing enough.

• Bobby says:

What bugs me about Gotham is I’ve seen it all before with SMALLVILLE. We’ll invest in 4 or 5 years of this series and there will be no payoff. I’ll probably quit watching in the next couple of weeks.

• Lauren says:

Oh no I get it. I just think it was a stupid way to tell the Joker story, especially when you have a break out performance in Cameron Monaghan. And apparently I’m not the only one who tuned out.

4. TicaTica says:

I’m happy about Castle ratings. Fingers cross that it will go up soon

5. Mr. Tran K says:

People need to stop watching Life in Pieces because when I saw the very first episode it was terrible and it’s going to be more terrible when it moves to Thursdays starting November 5th. So excited about Supergirl next week and who knows if the series has high expectations for CBS.

• Ellinas1978 says:

If you say so then people need to stop watching right now. You hear people?

• Jamie says:

Life in Pieces is surprisingly hysterical. Give it another try. I find it highly relatable to my life right now. I know it’s a modern family copycat, but it has its own voice and heart, and stands on its own IMO

• Mr. Tran K says:

NO WAY Jamie and there’s a reason why I’m seriously not going to watch more Life in Pieces if people are going to go back to watch the very first episode which was like 99% terrible is the premise of the series (four short stories into one). Really hope the numbers for LiP should go down when it moves to Thursdays. On the other hand, who’s excited for SUPERGIRL (in just six days)?

• Sg. Grant says:

Wow you’ve been here a long time being negative about shows. At least your written English has gotten better.

• Mr. Tran K says:

Why are you still here and why are you becoming such a wannabe TV critic? On the other hand, don’t EVER talk about my proper grammar. Told you guys before that if I see one mean comment towards me, someone is going to hurt my feelings and you Grant are such a “complainer” (don’t lie to me).

• c-mo says:

It really hasn’t…most of the time I just give up trying to figure out what he’s trying to say…although it is pretty funny when he gets his panties in a twist because someone either corrects or disagrees with him, those posts I love even though they make no sense!

• zac says:

Tran reminds me of Abi MAria from Survivor

• MFL says:

Life in Pieces is so funny & refreshing…much better than 2BG and Mom IMO…I’m glad the numbers are going up. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for a renewal. I’m glad people are tuning in. A lot of shows have bad pilots but go on to improve…you can’t just judge a show by that! If you don’t want to watch then don’t but don’t tell people what to do

6. Darlene says:

Glad to see NCIS:LA hit season highs in the demo and in total viewers. Excellent episode with the mothership’s Michael Weatherly. And I would gladly watch a DiNozzo and Deeks spin off once both shows finish their runs.

7. wrstlgirl says:

Still disappointed in Gotham for killing off Jerome so early in the season but it was still a great episode last night. Loved Blindspot too.

8. Drew says:

Gotham has been really strong this season, so it’s a shame to see the numbers go down.

9. Keith says:

Blindspot is my favorite of the new shows. It’s gotten better each week. I hope the CW gives Crazy Ex-girlfriend some time. There are some cringe worthy moments, but I’m curious to see where it goes. There aren’t that many lighter shows on these days.

10. Gotham falls so it can rise up again…

11. kmw says:

Too bad for Gotham because its not getting any easier with Supergirl coming. Minority Report should be pulled. That’s nice that Castles HH numbers went up but their demo didn’t and the demo numbers are more important Not a surprise that NCIS LA went up with Michael Weatherly’s crossover

12. Larc says:

Time to put Minority Report out of its misery.

13. Phil says:

People – please give Crazy Ex-Girlfriend a shot! This show is hilarious, and Rebecca Bloom is such a refreshing personality to watch on TV.
    And the songs are super catchy – just watch this one and see if you can get it out of your head: http://www.mtv.com/news/2353819/crazy-ex-girlfriend-feeling-kinda-naughty/
    She’s crazy – like all of us.

14. It was BC of the Star Wars trailer on espn

15. MrGrumply says:

I enjoy Gotham – but this season is too violent for me. Thinking of dropping it.

• Lambsilencer says:

After this episode, it didn’t at all surprise me that the show suffered ratings-wise. The Batman universe might have always been comically violent, but the amount of gore (the severed eye and limb) and slow-motion blood splatter (heck, after dying in the mist of his splashing blood, the guy even exploded) in this episode was just nowhere near fitting for the universe it exists in. No wonder people turned away. With this level of bloody violence, FOX may no longer find enough viewers who will accept it to sustain the ratings level that is needed for network TV.

16. Walkie says:

Sucks for Gotham as there is no way it gets renewed. It’s so much better this season than last.

17. GraceM says:

Well a lot of people were probably paying attention to our Xanadu elections last night.

18. Pat says:

Sorry but the way you wrote this post is so confusing…
    Anyway Gotham is not a network tv show put it on a cable and it will glow

19. John NYC says:

Tony SO didn’t fit. Pretty funny.

20. Saintsfan9 says:

I really hope LIP get’s canceled, tried watching some of it and switched after about 10 minutes, the humor just isn’t funny. Really hoping for a miracle with Gotham as I really like the show a lot. As for supergirl haven’t been impressed with the previews so I don’t know what to think yet. And as for blindspot I find it VERY overated.

21. Tipp says:

I’m not worried about Gotham. Of course the ratings are going to be lower with the NFL and MLB playoffs on. Plus, I don’t think Supergirl is going to be a huge hit or anything. They’ll definitely be renewed!

22. lame says:

Agree or disagree with Beckett’s manic obsessive arch, you have to admit the writers have handled it much better than last season’s Castle’s abduction, where not a hint of concern was demonstrated from episode 2 till episode 20, leaving many in total disbelief and probably accounting for season 8’s ratings.
    Winter/Hawley have at least kept the search for Locksat visible in every episode. Now if they can get Beckett to see Dr Burke.

23. Jeffrey says:

Sigh… how can Gotham be getting such low numbers? I love the show. PLEASE don’t cancel it!

24. Hodan says:

Well, Gotham has Alfred slapping little girls this season. I don’t know why that is not increasing the rating at all?

25. Keith says:

Just cancel Gotham now. Free up Ben McKenzie, he is a talented actor and is being completely wasted on this Batman-less show. If no one has seen him in ‘SouthLAnd’ definitely check it out!

26. suzyku says:

NCIS L.A. most likely ticked up because of Michael Weatherly guest appearance. The show is pretty mediocre most of the time with very little depth of characters!

27. worthymagic says:

BLINDSPOT is definitely hurting NCIS:LA and CASTLE, but there have been lots of big games on TV in the Northeast. Monday had Giants-Eaglea(Football) Sunday had COLTS-PATRIOTS(there was an article that a lot of shows got pounded on Sunday). Wednesday will have the METS-CUBS Game 4 at 8 pm, so it will be interesting to see how the shows do. We’ll find out on Thursday.

28. Tim says:

I love this show, Gotham. The critics are all missing something. I think it is very entertaining . Last night’s show, (October 26th ) was just like a finale. All coming to head with why these villains are going nuts and becoming what they are in the comics.