It's Official: Chris Rock Is 2016 Oscars Host

We’re going to resist the urge to joke that the 2016 Academy Awards telecast might be about to Rock on with its bad self. (Whoops, just did.)

Chris Rock will return as host of next year’s Oscars, the Academy confirmed on Wednesday.

It’s Rock’s second time as emcee for the biggest night in movies; he last hosted in 2005. Earlier this week, RobotButt broke the news of Rock’s then-pending deal.

The 2015 Oscars, hosted by Neil Patrick Harris, hit a six-year ratings low in audience. Last month, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences turned over producing duties to Reginald Hudlin and David Hill, who at the time told Variety they planned to shake up the telecast with some new elements — while trying not to ruffle the feathers of traditionalists.

The 88th Academy Awards are slated for Feb. 28, 2016 at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood.

What do you think of Rock hosting the next Oscars? Take our poll below, then hit the comments and expand on your thoughts.

1. Rob says:

Yes from me! He was one of the best in the last ten years.

2. LADY_in_MD says:

At this point nothing can be as bad as Anne and James were
    I did enjoy NPH but I’m bias cause he can do no wrong in my book
    At least Rock will be entertaining …maybe…

3. SayNay says:

Yay for me too, but only because that was probably the only time I watched the Oscars all the way through.

4. A fan of TV says:

Tina and Amy! Or just call Billy Crystal again.

5. Larc says:

I do much care who hosts since I’d rather have a root canal than watch the Hollywood crowd congratulating themselves.

6. Dude says:

YASSS! He can do no wrong. He was one of their best hosts.

7. Josh Emerson says:

Ew. I cannot stand him. Please let it be someone else.

8. Saintsfan9 says:

this is a HUGE NO for me. I can’t stand him. Probably won’t watch them with him hosting them. Mind you they are pretty boring and predictable anyway. My sister ALWAYS guesses the winners before they even air.

9. Bark Star says:

If you can’t learn from your mistakes, you have to do them again. Chris Rock was a mistake the first time but maybe after he fails a second time they will learn.

10. Ellinas1978 says:

Can’t be much worse than last year. But I’ll just watch the opening monologue and then fast-forward through stuff, so I won’t have to watch transitions and stuff.

11. Ellinas1978 says:

Does anyone watch live anymore? If not the host only matters for the opening monologue and if that gets boring you can FFWD through that too.

12. terrible choice he was terrible last time it will a purely political show

13. CactusRose says:

Please not Chris Rock again. He was horrible last time. The guy is just obnoxious. Sarcasm is funny, but not from him.

14. Leanne says:

of all the people in Hollywood this is the best they can do?

15. jm says:

As they say there “No me gusta” as we say here “Lo odio”

16. paula says:

Chris rock ty for handling the race question with humor and elegance ur someone who knows what it takes to handle the intense subjects with such ease and to make sure everyone is comfortable what a true personality I would be honored to be ur guest by the way im white ty u so much