New X-Files Revival Promo: 'What If Our Work... Has Been a Lie?'

As usual, The X-Files‘ Mulder finds a way to inject paranoia into even the most joyous of occasions: In this instance, the latest promo for the series’ upcoming revival, a spot that Fox debuted Monday night during Gotham.

“What if our work, the X-files, everything we’ve been led to believe in is a lie?” Mulder asks somebody — Scully? Skinner? it’s unclear — in the new teaser.

Also of note: the gross visual of a creature/person peeling off its… face we guess? (again, unclear); and the sweet, familiar sound of the enigmatic Dana Scully introducing herself and her partner to someone new.

Press PLAY on the video above to watch for yourself, then hit the comments: What do we think that pinkish thing is?

1. Drew says:

It is looking pretty good. I am cautiously optimistic.
    I’ve been researching the series, so it is really weird to see an older, heavier Mulder. But that doesn’t cancel out my geeky excitement.
    Carter better not mess this up.

2. Jay says:

I’m excited it’s back but worried Carter will mess it up (especially after the last movie). He seems to have developed a knack for turning interesting ideas into boring television. Fortunately, unlike the movie, there’s other writers involved – fingers crossed it turns out good!

• tahina says:

He wrote good stories but Carter was not good to Mulder and Scully. Wonder where this will led them to, and if there are plans for more episodes to come in the future.

• Drew says:

The other writers/directors involved are the only reason why my hopes are up. With the last movie, Carter showed that he was less interested in telling a good story than he was in sneaking in childish political jabs (which would be more tolerable if they weren’t complete distractions from the horrible story going on). It said a lot about his mindset and his ability as a writer. But with all of the other writers coming in to help with these new episodes, I am really excited. Maybe Carter sucks on his own, but there are a lot of good names here to help him.

3. Heather says:

So excited about this!

4. kmw says:

Carter has done some good things but the last movie and their last season were just awful so I will be cautiously optimistic. I am interested to see how it all plays out

5. LaurenMC says:

I’M SO EXCITED!!

6. KC says:

I’m so excited about this!