Greys Anatomy Ratings

Ratings: Grey's Anatomy Rises as Scandal and HTGAWM Again Slip

On an extra-competitive Thursday, with both NFL football and post-season MLB in the mix, ABC’s Grey’s Anatomy drew 8.3 million total viewers and a 2.3 rating (per finals), up a tenth week-to-week.

Scandal (8.1 mil/2.4) led all scripted Thursday fare even while slipping two tenths in the demo. How to Get Away With Murder (6.8 mil/2.0) was down for a third straight week, and is now off more than 30 percent from its freshman average.

Elsewhere in the ratings….

FOX | Bones (5.8 mil/1.1) and Sleepy Hollow (3 mil/0.8) each slipped two tenths, with the latter hitting a new series low.

NBC | Heroes Reborn (4 mil/1.1) and Blacklist (6.9 mil/1.4) each ticked down a tenth, while The Player (4 mil/0.7) dropped two tenths.

THE CW | Vampire Diaries (1.4 mil/0.6) was steady while The Originals (1.1 mil/0.5) ticked up from its premiere.

CBS | Thursday Night Football (13.7 mil/4.5) was steady vs. last week’s combined CBS/NFL Network tallies.

1. Eric7740 says:

HTGAWM is amazing this season!!!! You don’t people don’t know what your missing! In fact, all of TGIT shows are on fire right now!!! Grey’s started a little slow, but it’s getting after last night’s episode. Come back to TGIT folks, you will not be disappointed!!!

• dan says:

I respectfully disagree that HTGAWM has been amazing this season. It is good and still better than a lot of shows, but the storytelling is a mess. I don’t mind the flashforwards and flashbacks, but now they’re doing it with the “case of the week” (which I’ve never liked; why would we care about characters that we know nothing about? it was clear the girl was guilty and her mother was manipulating the entire defense to protect her…but why did we care?) and they’re adding so many twists that you need a score card to figure out who’s done what to whom. I liked the first season (except for the “case of the week” aspect which has always been the weakest part of the series) and I got invested in the characters. Now I just shake my head with every dumb thing they do. But I’ll keep watching because Viola is the best thing on tv (her scenes in the hospital were great), and I’ve grown to like some of the younger actors so I’m rooting for their characters (specifically Connor, Laurel and for some reason Bonnie). I think people are just tired of the herky/jerky storytelling mechanism that was done so well in season one but is exhausting this year (by the way, I’ve had the same critique about Quantico which is wearing out its welcome with me for the same reasons).

• I completely agree. I’m disappointed that HTGAWM is once again relying on flashbacks instead of drawing us in with complex storytelling. I couldn’t care less about the incestuous siblings who may or may not have killed their parents, but I’d like to know more about how Bonnie & Frank came to work for Annalise and why they’re so loyal to her. Of the kids, only Connor and Lauren stand out to me and I enjoy Asher’s comic relief. I wouldn’t mind if Wes and Michaela were replaced by more interesting characters. I’m really only watching now for Viola’s consistently terrific performances.

• MFL says:

HTGAWM is having an amazing 2nd season. People need to tune in. I find it to be much more enjoyable and complex than Scandal…I’ve had it with those endless monologues in Scandal.

2. Ram510 says:

It’s funny to see TVD almost tie The Player and Sleepy Hollow

• Maryann says:

This season The Vampire Diaries is the best it has ever been. It has boldly been totally reinvented. I would advise anyone who ever had the slightest interest in the show to check it out. It is easy to find the episodes at cw.com at no cost.

• Ken says:

“Totally reinvented” is a big stretch. It is good, but i wouldn’t say that it is completely different from other seasons.

• Jared says:

I completely agree. I wasn’t sure if TVDs was gonna be any good but I really like how they reinvented the show and the flash forwards are pretty cool.

3. Mr. Tran K says:

Thursday continues to be the toughest night on TV this season. Really hope that CBS’ line-up gets back to normal in just 20 days after football is done.

4. Erika says:

But will NBC cancells Heroes Reborn and The Player?And I predict that Truth Be Told ratings will drop sharply below 0.9.

5. Coach Taylor says:

Well crap, now I am officially worried about HTGAWN

6. Bigdede says:

I’m shocked that Grey’s ratings are better than Scandal. HTGAWM is so good and I’m afraid people are tuning out because they can’t take the gay scenes. I saw so many people complaining about Annalise love scene with her old college roommate. This show, imo, is better than Scandal.

• Marcie says:

Honestly, I’ve been slow to watch it because I don’t understand what’s going on anymore. I’ve kind of lost the story and it’s too much work to go back and figure it out.

• ? says:

HTGAWM has always been a really gay show. It was super gay last year with Connor and all his graphic hookups and Oliver. I doubt anyone who wasn’t turned off by all the guy-on-guy last season would suddenly be turned off now because of some girl-on-girl with Annalise. It just doesn’t work that way. I think maybe people are losing interest because a) no one cares about the brother and sister storyline, b) Annalise obviously isn’t going to die so the flash forwards don’t really have any teeth (yet), c) Bonnie and Frank are depraved murderers now so it’s hard to root for them (it’s one thing to commit or be involved with a murder under extenuating circumstances like the kids were last year, it’s quite another to root for predators who commit premeditated murder), and d) it doesn’t feel like the writers have any idea what to do with certain characters like Wes and Nate right now. All that said, I’m still watching.

7. Mr. Tran K says:

Still no love for The Player? HTGAWM still can’t catch a break? BTW, you already heard the news that 2BG will be moving to Thursdays starting November 12th @ 9:30 pm after Mom.

8. SayNay says:

Noooooo Sleepy Hollow. Adjust up. Adjust up. Last night’s episode was solid.

9. JC1 says:

Awwww. I wish The Player was doing better. :(. I’m bracing myself for it to get pulled any day now.

• Mr. Tran K says:

I’m still worried about The Player but who knows if the high octane action series is going to make it towards November sweeps even though CBS’ Thursday night line-up is back to normal starting November 5th after football is done.

• Maryann says:

The Player really is an excellent show. I am afraid the previews and first episode are turning some people off because they think the show has no depth. In reality, it has the same sort of plot twists and intrigue as The Blacklist, Blindspot, and Quantico. More people should give it a chance.

• JC1 says:

I haven’t watched Quantico, and I dropped Blacklist last year, but I am watching Blindspot, and personally I enjoy The Player more. I like the actors better, I like the action better, I like the mystery better, I like the shooting style better. The premise is implausible, but no more implausible IMO than a woman with clues to future crimes tattooed all over her body. Oh well. At this point though, I’m going to be grateful (and a little surprised) if they even get to finish out their original episode order. :(

• Carla Krae says:

Yeah, it really is good, and fun.

• ladyluck538 says:

Love The Player and the cast. I think the game is stupid, but other than that…love it.

10. daveedtjr says:

Where can I get SPORTS ratings????
    MLB, NFL, etc..

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

TNF is denoted under the “CBS” heading. MLB was on cable (as was NFL Network’s coverage of Saints/Falcons), and cable numbers quite famously come in much, much, much later.

11. Leah says:

Go Grey’s!!

12. peterpan15 says:

Grey’s Anatomy has really stepped up its game this (12th) season….

• Yes, it has! Grey’s has gone back to the basics with more humor intermingled with the drama and the cliffhanger for this latest episode reminded me of when Addison first arrived. I can’t wait for the dinner party next Thursday!

• Alrisha says:

So much for all the “I never watching again after Dereck died”.

13. rcb918 says:

I don’t get what’s up with HTGAWM. It’s even better than Season 1 this season.

• Gordon says:

I think people are holding off for now and binge watching htgawm, now that they know it will be available on Netflix. A bunch of my friends caught up that way last month and enjoyed watching 3-4 eps at a time.

• Coal says:

I’m one of those, with the show’s format watching it on a week to week basis is not enjoyable. I rather wait until the season is down.

14. McFudge says:

Looks like everything is down. I guess Thursday really is a death trap for shows.

15. KayCeeCee says:

I like having Wesley Snipes and Philip Winchester on my TV, but they really need to improve The Player. I don’t know maybe make it darker and grittier. What would you suggest to improve The Player? What would it take to get you to watch it?

16. RedReddington says:

It’s amazing that an 11 year show in Bones is pulling numbers not that far off from The Blacklist. That can’t bode well.

17. Coach Taylor says:

IMO If HTGAWM was on an hour earlier (probably couldnt get away with some of those scenes at 9pm though, I dont know) the numbers would be right there with Scandal

18. KC says:

Sleepy Hollow needs to go back to Monday night. This season is terrific so far!

• Win says:

I (and those I watch it with) agree that it should be on Monday nights again. I liked the Gotham pairing. I’m glad it’s still on after a season many seemed to take issues with, but I really wish the course correction could have focused on the show’s content itself (on the same day rather than moving it). It’s like Double Not-So-Secret Probation. And this is coming from the [apparently] one person who watches Minority Report with little regret (I don’t mind if that gets moved).

19. t.w.123 says:

HTGAWM is better this year than last season! Too bad it’s losing viewers just as it is really hitting its stride and finding its voice. If you gave up on the show, I really encourage that you come back!!

20. Joe says:

With the return of Poppa pope and and maybe B613 crap has made me very wary about my continued viewing of scandal, and it looks like I’m not the only one

• MFL says:

Don’t blame papa pope/B613 for this…it’s Olitz! Everyone thought Olivia & Fitz being together would bring up the numbers…now look at this…even I’ve tuned out of Scandal…sick of all the on/offs and terrible monologues!

• I feel the same way. I was disgusted to see Papa Pope return and haven’t bothered to watch the latest episode because I hate everything related to B613.

21. kmw says:

Well Grey’s sure is steady. Killing Derek off sure hasn’t hurt it much. Too bad for HTGAWM. The Blacklist is down for sure but its still doing better than Bones. But even though Bones was down its still doing decent and the household number, even though it doesn’t mean anything anymore isn’t bad. Its really bad that Sleepy isn’t retaining enough of Bones lead in but then we knew that was coming right? I know everyone wants it back on Monday but its not happening and they will most likely not get another season. This crossover with Bones will probably get it over a 1.0 again but only temporarily

22. Whitney says:

I haven’t got 2 watch my Grey’s Anatomy since the last one I saw Things We Lost in the Fire which was 11-19-15! Why hasn’t it been on bc I’m going crazy not getting 2 watch it!! I love Grey’s Anatomy & I never miss a episode ever!! Please start showing Grey’s Anatomy again!!!!

23. Matthew says:

I was wondering why Sleepy Hollow hasn’t been on since the last one I watched on 11-19-15 I love that show I have been watching it since it has been on! I never miss a episode!! I wish they would start showing it again!!