Sela Ward Susan Sarandon Graves

Graves Recast: Sela Ward Replaces Susan Sarandon in EPIX Comedy

Sela Ward to the rescue!

In an 11th hour recasting, the Emmy-winning TV vet has been tapped to replace Susan Sarandon as the female lead in Graves, EPIX’ upcoming 10-episode political satire.

Ward takes over the role of Margaret Graves, the wife of former U.S. President Richard Graves (Nick Nolte), who decides to follow her own political ambitions just as her husband embarks on a Don Quixote-like journey to right the wrongs of his administration. Ground Floor‘s Skylar Astin and Enlisted‘s Chris Lowell also star.

Sarandon abruptly walked away from the project earlier this month due to unspecified “artistic differences.”

Production on the half-hour Lionsgate-produced series begins this week New Mexico.

Ward’s long list of TV credits includes Sisters, Once and Again, House and CSI: NY.

1. herman1959 says:

So, they recast the role with an actress who is 10 years younger than the original one AND 15 years younger than the actor who will play her husband!

2. Georgia Madman says:

I loved Sela Ward from her Once and Again days.

3. Steven says:

Sela Ward, Skylar Astin, and Chris Lowell?! I’m so in. I’ll have to put with Nick Nolte. Can’t stand him.

4. matty says:

I love Sela Ward and if I had Epix I’d watch this.

5. mommaknowsbest says:

Love Sela Ward and wish her nothing but the best! Too bad I don’t get this network!

6. Nero the TVfiddler says:

My comments similar to those above – I love Sela Ward, and have watched her in almost any series she has done – I wish her all the best, she will do great work, and I would watch this series as well if I could get (find?) the EPIX service.

Oh well, if the series does well and goes to DVD, I’ll grab that method of watching Sela’s new series.

Regarding Susan Sarandon, I think the world of her, and am sorry to see her leave the series. It may not necessarily have anything to do with age differences – I really doubt it. SS is as smart and lovely as ever. I think what may have happened is that the shooting schedule for these series is really intense, and perhaps just didn’t fit into SS’ schedule right now.

And when a series is ready to go, and needing someone to come up to speed very fast, who better than Sela Ward. Not only has she done series work like Sisters and Once and Again so she knows the set up and the weekly work grind, but she also has jumped into series ‘when the train has already left the station’ and has the ability to come up to speed fast (ie. House and CSY NY). She is a pro’s pro, and a fine actress who has that look that is undeniable.

Best wishes to her – maybe this series can be successful enough to really put EPIX on the map! Let’s hope so. For now, I’m trying to get Crackle service via OTT streaming/set top box. There seems to be a new ‘go to’ network/service popping up on television weekly now – hard to keep up.

Can’t any of these series ever land on broadcast television any more???

TVLINE team – if you folks can find a way to send feedback to the broadcast networks – they need to start seriously trying to land some of these series, at least for the 10pm slots. Otherwise….

7. Andrew says:

Wasn’t this the exact same premise for POLITICAL ANIMALS starring Sigourney Weaver?