Chicago Fire Season 4 Premiere Recap

Chicago Fire Recap: In the Family Way

Oh, baby, is Tuesday’s Season 4 premiere of Chicago Fire an eventful one for Dawson and Casey!

Picking up after last May’s cliffhanger, Dawson arrives at her ex’s place to find Katya’s body. She immediately calls P.D.‘s Antonio for help, and he and Voight hightail it to Nesbitt’s club. They don’t quite arrive in the nick of time, though; shots have been fired and a bloody Casey has already pummeled Nesbitt. He claims he’s OK when Dawson shows up, but her shell-shocked face upon witnessing the scene of the crime says everything about what he had to do to survive — and it was all for nothing.

Antonio informs Casey that Nesbitt was working as a criminal informant for the FBI, so he’s a free man. The firefighter is, rightfully, outraged and convinced that the C.I. has Katya’s notebook with the evidence they need. He tries to play it cool at work, but when he drives into a car a little too eagerly to get it out of the firetruck’s way, it’s clear he’s still haunted by what happened.

It takes Casey seeing Dawson’s burnt uniform, which was severely damaged during a call, to pull him out of the darkness and make him realize what he could have lost — and what he can still have. He marches into Molly’s and walks right up to his ex-fiancée.

“Being with you, that’s what makes sense,” he tells her. “May be the only thing that does. I’m never going to let you out of my life again.”

In response to this, Dawson blurts out, “I’m pregnant,” and Casey’s teary face is so overjoyed at the news, I might have made an audible “awww” sound.

While things are taking an upturn for “Dawsey,” Severide gets demoted after the rescue squad’s high rate of turnover raises a red flag. Capt. Dallas Patterson (played by Scandal‘s Brian White) takes over the top job and immediately starts to cause tension on the squad. He makes it clear that attending a get-together on his boat is mandatory, which doesn’t still well with Severide, who instead spends the night with a woman (Continuum‘s Rachel Nichols) he met at a seminar for troubled managers. (At this point, I’m pretty sure Severide could step into an empty room and find someone to hook up with.) Then he tells Cruz that he’s not coming back to Firehouse 51. “I wanted to learn from you,” Cruz responds. “You go, I go.”

Elsewhere, a new candidate, Jimmy Borrelli (The Vampire Diaries‘ Steven R. McQueen), arrives now that Dawson’s a full-fledged firefighter – well, until she announces her pregnancy. Jimmy gets off to a bad start when his prankster brother drops him off at the station, wrapped in plastic and reeking of alcohol. (Did anyone else notice a little somethin’ somethin’ between Jimmy and Chili when she offered to free him of his constraints?) Boden sends him home with orders not to return. But Jimmy manages to get his job back by apologizing to the Chief.

On the paramedic front, Brett and Chili get attached to an infant after the mother dies during a call. Chili even goes so far as to reach out to Dr. Halstead at Molly’s so they can get confirmation that the baby survived. (It did.)

By the way, if you haven’t noticed, Fire, P.D. and the upcoming Med are ending every episode at Molly’s this season, which is a nice way to tie the three series together.

Chicago Fire fans, what did you think of the season opener? Grade it via the poll below, then hit the comments to back up your pick.

1. Jeff hunter says:

The Episode to me was decent not perfect but decent enough to watch some more…….that being said,the fanboy in me wanted to see more McQueen,we only got two scenes with him yes it was the first ep back from summer break but he needed more scenes,also judging from the last scene he was in,from a comic book fans p.o.v.,I saw more Dick Grayson than jimmy boreilli!jeff

2. Velocisexual says:

Ugh, I hate the new candidate already. Such a boring generic prettyboy. Otherwise great premiere, I liked the slightly darker tone with the “cases” of the week. The pregnant mom dying, the neighborhood stopping the firefighters from putting out a fire. Its a bit of a deviation from the usual heroic happy ending fare.

3. Bill says:

Why did they get rid of Shay and Mills? I still haven’t heard an answer that made any sense.

4. Bwhit says:

I loved it and it was worth the wait. That moment at the end was something Casey has been waiting to hear since the series started! I like that he told her all that BEFORE she told him about the baby and she took a step back until he was ready (albeit going into that house was a big risk). I like the new candidate already and can’t wait to see how he blends with the house.

• Sheila says:

Ditto. Also loved Severide getting a bit of a reality check. I like him as a character, but it was frustrating that he refused to listen to his team at the firehouse last season. They told him his friend was unreliable and it put them in danger. Consequences. What is up with the couple with a newborn that moved next to a bar?! They are idiots who should have known better.

5. James D says:

So glad it’s back. I loved the episode although to be honest it wasn’t it’s strongest showing it seemed a little forced to me the Severide thing sort of just burst onto the scene it was a wee bit jarring to me similarly Casey’s Nesbitt stuff sort of resolved itself too quickly for my taste. everything else though was aces. I love Brian White and Rachel Nichols so I’m super stoked to watch their arcs this season. Steve R McQueen was a good casting choice. I totally said and Aww when Dawson told Casey it was very sweet moment. Can’t wait till next week’s episode.

6. ndixit says:

Honestly, the show is recycling its plots. There’s always a new arson investigation, Boden getting into trouble with the higher ups, Severide getting a new romance, some new problem with Molly’s and the surrounding neighbourhood. The characters are still likable and Casey always comes off as the most sincerest guy off the bunch. He makes for a rootable hero.

• 3dhouseofmagic says:

I agree on the plot points. Also I was distracted about how bad the pregnancy prosthetic was for the young girl who got shot. This is partly a medical show – lets up the prop budget!!

Still thrilled the show is back and I’d hook up with Severide in an empty room!

7. Pallada says:

It was a decent episode but practically the whole teaser was revealed beforehand and I kinda killed the excitement and suspense…Too much Gabby to my taste…and I found it funny that practically every Casey scene somehow ended with Dawson’s close-up…oh, and she now drinks decaf at the station but enters the burning home without wearing her mask. As a former paramedic, she should be aware that inhaling poisonous smoke is bad for the fetus. Looks like she doesn’t care enough…Anyway, Casey was very happy to hear the news. That was some great acting on Jesse’s part :)

8. shopping says:

Nice post. I learn something totally new and challenging on websites
    I stumbleupon every day. It will always be helpful to
    read articles from other writers and practice a little something from
    other web sites.

9. Bella says:

Interesting twist demoting Severide. Looking forward to seeing more of the new candidate.

I want a Kelly/Sylvie pairing. :(

10. Television says:

Kinda tired of them inserting a new boss temporarily who always is a jerk. I don’t really care for the baby story line. Like she would still be a firefighter pregnant. Plus the hooker story needs to go away too.And who buys a house next to a bar thinking it would be quiet?

• Bella says:

I thought the bar was in a business district, I too am surprised they would buy or rent next to a bar. Not the best place for a couple with a young baby.

11. Gerri says:

I’m on board this season.
    How long till we can Mr McQueen tot he Chicago Fireman’s Calendar? Loved his entry. Not his fault the brothers were hazing him. Glad he got his 2nd chance. Good attitude.
    Not the biggest fan of the paramedics. No one can replace the Shay and Dawson dynamic.
    Severide better not be gone long.
    I know it is for television, but why do the FBI informants always have to be such terrible people that the FBI give passes too. So annoying.

12. Sean P.Moran says:

Those neighbors from Oregon are going to be trouble.

13. JimR says:

At the start of the show, Casey had a gun in his face, and the next thing we know the guy with the gun is on the floor shot dead…… BEFORE the cops show up. Did I miss something??? Or did a miracle occur to save Casey’s life???

14. Patrick says:

so the firefighter casey beats the crap out of two armed assailants, one who had a gun to his head.
    that’s believable.