Anderson Cooper in First Democratic Presidential Debate

Democratic Presidential Debate 2015: The 10 Best Moments

Look, we’re not political analysts. But we know good TV when we see it.

And though Tuesday’s Democratic presidential debate certainly wasn’t as entertaining as the Republican free-for-alls earlier this year, we managed to find 10 moments of greatness among the two-plus hours of rhetoric and posturing.

Whether or not you tuned into CNN’s broadcast from the Wynn Resort in Las Vegas, we think you’ll agree that the selections in the gallery below encompass the high points of the evening. So click through the photos, then hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. Joey says:

Easily, the winner was Bernie Sanders. Clinton’s “I represented Wall Street” and “I told them to cut it out!” Just made her look weak.

The Three Amigos aren’t even worth discussing, unless you want to make fun of Chafee’s “Oh my vote was wrong because my dad just died” and how much Jim Webb evidently hates the South China Sea and everyone who lives in that area.

• Simon Jester says:

I expected to like Bernie more than I did. He’s clearly passionate about climate change and financial reform, but he did poorly on gun control, and his foreign policy responses were weak. Hillary did well, as did O’Malley (mainly in the second half). Chaffee and Webb did themselves no favors at all.

• rowan77 says:

Bernie’s been serving the people of Vermont for decades in one political capacity or another. In that state gun violence is near almost on-existent (four homicides by gun in 2011) and many in the state are active hunters (and in VT they dress and eat the animals they kill). So he has to walk a line right now. Not every state is Vermont and gun violence is becoming out of control across the country, but his constituents aren’t exactly in that group. He has to figure out his stance. It’s early days though.

• Lucifer says:

Gun violence is not becoming out of control or rising. The majority of gun related deaths are suicides, which are added to murders and accidental shootings to inflate the numbers. You are statistically more likely to die from falling down or getting into a car accident than you are to be murdered by someone with a gun. You are also more likely to commit suicide by gun than to be killed by someone else with one. The states and cities with the strictest gun laws have the most gun violence, despite some saying otherwise. It’s a real shame people cannot talk about the mass shootings from multiple perspectives. It’s a number of things for why mass shootings have become basically part of American culture for nearly 20 years. The two main reasons are the current gun control laws are not being enforced enough and mental healthcare in this country is broken and there needs to be more awareness (most shooters showed plenty of signs something was wrong beforehand).

2. megalion says:

What? All ten were about Anderson… including some really banal ones like how he wore his glasses and “worked the runway”

That’s greatness?

3. ninamags says:

Ha! I see what you guys did there. Anderson came off like a boss!! didn’t he? I don’t think anybody was expecting this and he certainly was forceful and commanding! Very impressive and set the tone for this debate.

You could tell the adults were having a conversation about the real, substantive issues. Unlike the previous political debates with the bombastic buffoons from the other party.

• Laura Markl says:

CNN setup the Republicans to go after each other. All of them would of debated all five from tonight under the table. Tonight was a snooze fest to protect Hillary and to crown her the winner. In the end she will end up behind bars and we will see who the buffoon is in the end.

• ninamags says:

You’re kidding, right? Those idiots from the previous debates have no idea how to talk about the issues. Of course CNN set them up, because no one expects them to have real solutions for the real people living in this country.

Why do people continue to vote against their own best interests?

Hillary was not crowned the winner because many people think Sanders won. Why would she be going to jail?

• megalion says:

My god it’s frightening to see the comments. … here and elsewhere. People seem to want entertainers more than a good president who remembers to put all citizens first.

My original comment above was largely because the post didn’t indicate that this was satiric or tongue in cheek. So that means Michael Ausiello, founder of TV Line … is that empty headed? That this is truly the top 10 moments for him and KR?

I know people say Hollywood is shallow but I lived 10 min from Kodak theater for 5 years. .. I know it’s not quite like that. Or did I?

• She won’t end up in jail, but she belongs there because of her “damn emails”.

I find it funny that you think they talked about the “real issues” here too. Hillary doesn’t even have an issue, platform or strategy, she is pandering to the PC crowd by saying, “It’s time to respect women!” She hasn’t said what that entails, how she’ll protect women’s health issues, how she’ll get equal pay.

None of the five on this stage will get anything past a Republican house. The Republicans, as stupid as some are, will be able to do that. And Donald Trump will negatively impact our economy domestically, but we’ll also see real unemployment figures go down (not the faux numbers dems spill for Obama ignoring retiring/leaving workers and counting people less than 40 hours as full-time) and our foreign policy and international spending will be repaired significantly.

• megalion says:

I wasn’t able to see it so I was hoping to find a starter place for the highlights here.

Glad at least one person here understood what s/he was watching. :p

4. Laura Markl says:

There were no good moments in the debate. The debate was boring. I was waiting for Donald Trump to come in and at least make things exciting. It was so boring my 15 year old son fell to sleep. I got on Facebook to just keep myself awake.

• John NYC says:

Trump was too busy getting his hair combed over.

#HighMaintenance

• Jerri says:

You couldn’t just….I don’t know…change the channel? Plug in a DVD and turn on something more exciting? Or was someone holding you at gunpoint and forcing you to watch the debate?

• Lindsey says:

I take it you’re a Trump supporter then…

• Simon Jester says:

Yeah, debates *can* be boring when they are serious policy debates, not circus sideshows. You might want to reconsider if “entertainment value” is really the most important quality in a chief executive.

• Mary says:

It is not suppose to be a reality show. It is a debate, which if run probably usually aren’t the most entertaining. It is sad really that many find rude, name calling entertaining. Believe it or not this is for the most important job of the U.S., so I will take serious to grown men attacking each other any day.

5. texaschick51 says:

When did Anderson Cooper reach god status? The debate was like watching a broken down, worn out sideshow. I kept asking myself, “How can all of this absurdity be real?”

6. Dude says:

Can we get a real article now!

7. Ashton says:

Lol!!! Anderson Cooper ftw!

8. Lauren says:

Ha! You guys almost make me wish I watched it.

9. Kim R says:

So funny! Yes…I would say Anderson won the debate. :D

10. A Fan of TV says:

Ok ok, Anderson Cooper is great but really? You could have warned that your ‘Democratic debate highlights’ slides were really just a stroll through an Anderson Cooper tumblr fan blog. I was looking for a bit more of the substance implied by the headline.

11. Tamim says:

Anderson Cooper for Prez? People are commenting how boring these debates are, but I remember when, during debate season, they were shown on multiple stations and were the must-see event that people tuned into, then actually discussed the policies covered the next day. Sad that we now go -woot woot! Trump at least made things interesting, while those Democrats just talked about boring stuff and were nice to each other….. But Cooper was kind of cool.

• Mary says:

The debates will be shown nationally when it gets down to what candidates will end up running for President. These debates are to elect who will be running for the party and I don’t ever remember them being national. If you call important issues regarding the U.S.
      boring stuff, I hope you do not vote, stick with watching reality TV.

• Tamim says:

I don’t consider them boring, I consider the debates one of the most important things on TV and voting a civic duty that even people who feel apathy or disenfranchised should do (by making their non-vote a protest to show their displeasure — how many votes for Snoopy happen each year?) Hopefully your “you” is referring to anyone else who might consider the debates boring, and not me?

• Mary says:

Sorry I combined two responses into one, which I shouldn’t have done. I did mean people who were claiming these debates were not entertaining.

12. Luis says:

I look forward to the Facebook photos from your brunch with AC and Andy Cohen in Provincetown

13. The Annoyed Elephant says:

#1: When it was over.

Let’s see… Bernie Sanders pushing an extremist version of socialism that has never worked anywhere? Check.

Hillary Clinton avoiding the potential criminal charges floating over her campaign? Check.

Martin O’Malley trying desperately to get in the game? Check.

Jim Webb trying to remind us that he’s there? Check.

Lincoln Chafee trying to make us forget that he basically got run out of the Republican Party? Check.

Meanwhile, the Rubio campaign would like to thank the Democrat candidates for their circus last night. They await the entry of Joe Biden, who will likely provide many more hours of hilarity when he asks wheelchair-bound veterans to stand up and is amazed at how clean and well-spoken his own boss is.

• Luis says:

As opposed to the three ring job currently going on in the GOP? As for the Rubio campaign, which appears to consist of Rubio begging the Koch brothers to pour a billion dollars down a rat hole, good luck with that

14. The headline for this article is completely misleading. Why in the world are the 10 best moments all about Anderson Cooper? How completely moronic.

15. Becky says:

Wow, TVLine, really disappointed in this article. All you could find to talk about was Anderson Cooper? And by the way, Chafee is spelled with one f.

Also, Clinton won this debate, hands down. She was terrific. Bernie was great, too. The others, not so much.

16. Tom says:

So a list compiled by Michael Ausiello is filled only with Anderson Cooper. I wonder why…

This article is pathetic.

17. LEP says:

What I want to know is who picks out Hillary’s clothes? They should be fired.

18. ninamags says:

You all probably missed the point of this post. For almost three hours the action on the screen was serious and insightful and, I hate to use this word again: substantive.

We all needed a reprieve from serious life and country issues and they tried to lighten the mood.
    This is an entertainment web site, after all. You want the best and worse moments of the debate? Go to CNN or NBCNews. Or better yet, you should have watched the debate in full in order to make up your own minds about what the best and worse moments were.

Anderson did come off fantastic in this thing. I would even dare say HE won the debate :)

Plus he is a total hottie. (So is O’Malley, btw).