Amy Schumer Hosts SNL: Watch Video of the Best and Worst Sketches

When the hottest sketch comic on the planet pays a visit to the most venerable sketch-comedy show in the world, expectations are going to be inevitably (and perhaps unrealistically) high. That doesn’t mean, however, we couldn’t hold out hope that host Amy Schumer would totally crush it in her Saturday Night Live hosting debut.

The bad news? The latest “Weekend Update” proved as tepid as a centimeter’s worth of coffee left in your cup at lunchtime. The good news? Schumer didn’t have anything to do with it! And even in questionable bits like that Bakersfield Citizen Forum, Schumer managed to shine brightly thanks to her fearless goofballery and unapologetic stance. (I couldn’t help but howl as her pageant-princess toddler, a throwback to an Inside Amy Schumer Season 3 classic, asked for permission to carry a gun in her elementary school — and called for a ban on same-sex marriage.)

Below, my picks (from a very deep bench) for best-in-show, plus one that makes the “worst of” cut. (Also here’s a link to the rock-solid opening monologue.)

BEST: DELTA AIRLINES WELCOME SONG
Schumer and Vanessa Bayer played flight attendants working to improve Delta’s standing as the “third most-fun airline” — via a little ditty set to the tune of the Spice Girls’ “Wannabe.” But when one, then the other, got pulled out a faulty door and to the brink of horrifying death, the combination of pure panic and “it’s OK”/”you can all watch San Andreas for free” reassurance proved absolutely LOL-inducing.

BEST: GUN PSA
The tagline — “Guns: We’re here to stay” — may not be a laughing matter in the wake of far too many shooting deaths this year, but this pre-taped PSA shone a light on how absurd it is to act as if firearms make us safer all the time, in every situation. Watching the father of a newborn present his infant with a pistol, or a couple in love embrace after she receives a glock as a gift, had me wondering “is someone going to get accidentally shot?” even in the setup’s funniest moments. Which, I suspect, was exactly the point.

HONORABLE MENTION: HANDS-FREE SELFIE STICK
An ad for a selfie stick that gets planted where the sun don’t shine — “when you want to take a picture, just clench!” — the better to keep your giant noggin from taking up the entire frame. Best/naughtiest one-liner (via Schumer): “It takes pictures?” Runner-up: “I can barely feel it anymore!” Let’s just bow our heads and pray this doesn’t become an actual product 5-10 years from now.

HONORABLE MENTION: UNINVITED BABY-SHOWER GUEST
What happens when a friend of the mom-to-be invites her suspicious, loud-mouthed favorite bartender to a shower? Accusations of purse-snatching, general discomfort, and yet another win for host Schumer.

WORST: MRS. SANTINI ON “WEEKEND UPDATE”
All the crotchetiness of Olya Povlatsky and all the accented-absurdity of Cecilia Gimenez — and yet not even a quarter of the laughs. Be honest: Weren’t you worried this monologue from a subtly rageful NYC tenant might never end?

Your turn. What did you think of this week’s SNL? Take our poll below, then sound off in the comments! (We’ll post video as soon as it’s available on Sunday a.m.)

1. JayBone says:

I thought Michael Che was great for once on.Weekend Update. Colin still needs work but both are definitely better then ladt year together.

• gingerrox1877 says:

I agree! I really like them together but especially Michael this episode.

• Aeol says:

Agree, thought it was their best in a long long time. McKinnon blows my mind – sometimes she’s great, but so many of her characters are the EXACT SAME, just from different countries. It’s stupid. They should just make her one internationally indistinguishable character and leave it at that.

• rowan77 says:

I was thinking the same thing. Kristin Wiig used to do that as well. She had several characters that had the same mannerisms, just a slightly different voice.

• The Beach says:

Yikes, McKinnon on Weekend Update was just awful, and after being so good as Hillary last week. I love Amy and was really ready for a super funny show but the writers blew it. Selfie stick was the only skit where I laughed out loud.

• Wayne says:

Colin’s getting better and Che, to me, still looks bored most of the time. Last night, all the WU guests were useless. Thank God Riblet didn’t show up, I would have turned the tv off at that point. I say bring Cecily Strong back to the anchor desk.

Speaking of Cecily, when she WAS on WU, she was also practically the new Kristin Wiig, appearing in practically every sketch. Since leaving WU, she’s practically invisible, appearing mostly as background fluff in sketches and not until very late in the show (12:30am or later). No more reason to showcase her, I suppose, since she isn’t on WU.

Aidy Bryant, whom I consider very unfunny, appears more often. I believe Sasheer Zameta didn’t show up last night until about 12:45 or later. Even Leslie Jones was wasted last night.

I believe it was Kyle Mooney in the sketch with Amy about Amy the teacher getting “friendly” with her student. Notice how Kyle couldn’t take his eyes off Amy’s chest (pretty easy given that her blouse was almost wide open)???

And speaking of chests, how about Nicki Minaj’s chest?? Think they might have had a 20 second delay going on there just in case??

2. Cfolliot says:

Worst: Jay Pharoah on Weekend Update. Cringeworthy.

• Aeol says:

I thought the setup was ridiculous, but I laughed out loud too many times. Couldn’t tell you why. “Most Cringeworthy” still belongs to that horrific Pope character from last week.

3. bob says:

just say the gun skit. after the rogue cc shooting not very funny,brings back horrible memories. the president is really try solve this and you make fun of it. thanks. not really. shame on you!

• Dude says:

Um do you understand what satire is? Poking fun at how ridiculous something is to make a political statement? Please do the country a favor, don’t vote.

4. Stickville says:

Well so far (two sketches, video short, and musical (??) guest) this is turning out to be a complete waste of a good evening. Unfunny, unfunny, unfunny. I will concede that at 50+ years old, I may be missing the jokes, but, well… it’s still not very good. And that musical act?? I don’t know what his name is and frankly I don’t need to find out. 2Pac and Notorious B.I.G. can rest easy in their graves knowing that this guy’s music will never threaten their legacy. It’s only use is as a sleep aid. And is that hair a JOKE?? I mean really? He actually goes out in the real world with that goofy setup on his head. It looks like something flushed out of a passing airline jet hit hit him and stuck to his head. Put me on that stage. I can produce equally worthless music at half the cost!!

• Aeol says:

Omg just say “get off my lawn” and crawl in your crypt. You don’t have to like the Weeknd but he has two billboard chart toppers right now so I think he’s doing okay. Also not a rapper, so not sure why you referenced two dead rappers who were big back when you were taking your kids to kindergarten. Also quite unfair of you to be so rude about his personal style when you’re probably fretting over your combover and waiting for more Rogaine in the mail.

• Lucifer says:

I’m guessing you’re a millennial since you resort to childish personal attacks rather than critique the comment you’re responding to.

• Aeol says:

Actually, I’m 35 and still pretty cool. I only called out the 50+ y.o poster on their incredibly childish and immature insults. Why are they the only one allowed to level “childish personal attacks” when they’re old enough to be a grandparent?

• Luke says:

Just shows how you don’t get it. The person who you’d think should “crawl into a crypt” didn’t have childish personal attacks – you did. They were just saying what they found unfunny – even acknowledged it might be their age It’s called being self deprecating. Something I doubt you would ever do.

• Really? says:

“Actually, I’m 35 and still pretty cool.” You do realize that, if you have to say you are cool, chances are, you are not. So, no one else can express their opinion on a show they did not like, unless they b cool, like you? My eyes are sill rolling in the back of my head over that. I’d tell you to grow up–but at 35, that ship sailed already. Funny, the only childish and immature insults made, came from your “cool” self. SMDH

5. christopher bee says:

Finally, they´ve got their moyo back. Bring Amy back in the writers room.

6. zac says:

Found Weekend Update good this week. They finally found their groove although the guests werent that funny.

7. JK says:

This felt like they are hitting their stride. But they need fearless hosts, like Amy, Melissa McCarthy, and hopefully Tracey Morgan will bring it next week. I thought the gun psa and the town hall mtg were handled really well. I feel like in the early 90’s they could take serious issues and joke about them in a decent way. I felt like this was getting back to that. And I think Amy had a lot to do with that.

8. J says:

Amy was great as was the fake fire arms ad. But they should probably have her write the rest of the show…and weekend update was particularly unfunny.

9. J says:

Weekend Update was awful

10. Unimpressed says:

I don’t understand her popularity. I don’t find her funny and she really isn’t that ground breaking of a comic. Everything she is doing has been done already and better.

11. Eli says:

Couple of good lines in Weekend Update. Other than that Kate McKinnon as Debbie Wasserman Schultz was the only decent part of the episode

12. Eva says:

I thought Colin and Che were very good this week, but the WU was killed by the unfunny guests. All in all, a really good ep.

13. The opening skit was funny but after that it sucked.

14. biggio7 says:

It was an improvement on last week’s edition, but still only a “C” for me overall. I think Che and Jost are fine doing their news, but the correspondent segments are lacking. Pharaoh was good, it was nice seeing him do a character for once, and it seemed like he was doing the best he could with the material he had. Kate McKinnon’s characters are all too similar. There’s very little differentiating each of them; they could all be cousins from different parts of the world.

The Weeknd is good, worth watching.

I give Amy props for trying really hard. It makes a huge difference. But, the material just wasn’t very good.

I think the show’s struggles right now are coming from the writer’s room. There’s been a big difference in the quality of the show since Seth Meyers passed the torch to Colin Jost as head writer.

15. S. says:

I thought the whole thing was rough. Amy did well, but when the Delta sketch gets considered a ‘best,’ you know the night’s gonna be mediocre in terms of actual jokes. I can’t figure out why no mention of the classroom sketch unless the continued obsession with hating Kyle Mooney continues even if he’s not doing anything wrong.

16. Aeol says:

I thought Jost and Che had one of their best Weekend Updates in a very long time. Undone by subpar extra characters, but I thought the two of them nailed it. A character like Mrs Santini (indistinguishable from any of McKinnon’s other “foreign” characters) is one of those things that just makes me go back to hating McKinnon right as I’m starting to like her.

17. rosebianco98 says:

I don’t know why so many people dislike Mrs. Santini. I thought she was great. Loved the MONOLOGUE- did you forget that? Highlight of the show imho. The weeknd song with Nicki Minaj — so good. Update was good last night. Aidy gave Amy a run for her money on the “hot teacher” sketch.

• Aeol says:

I dislike the character because she’s completely indistinguishable from mckinnon’s other “old foreign lady” characters. I actually prefer the old Russian lady, but after a while they all blend together into a heap of unfunniness.

• misery chick says:

roseblanco98-I LIVE ur avi pic 💖

18. colig says:

the worst sketches are anything kyle mooney is in. unfunny,no timing and unwatchable.has to go and give cecily strong all his parts. she is way funnier and sinfully underused.

19. Dunno. Fell asleep within first 15 minutes. Yawn.

20. Sly Trombone says:

I was really hoping that this season would bring a new Weekend Update anchor. These guys just aren’t funny. And every week I have to rewind and turn on CC just to figure out what the heck Michael Che said only to find out it wasn’t funny anyway.

21. Mr. Tran K says:

I give the Schumer episode of SNL an A. The funny lady was a real hoot and she didn’t disappoint. The Hands Free Selfie Stick was great but there was a couple of sketches that didn’t work it out especially those Kyle Mooney haters. Great episode that was much better than last week’s season opener with Miley. So excited for Tracy Morgan’s somewhat emotional return to SNL next week.

22. A. D. says:

Can NOT Stand this woman…looking forward to next weeks episode with T. Morgan Returning….horrible episode! Why do people think this woman is funny? Jost STILL sucks!

23. Elle says:

Kate wasn’t the worst part of Weekend Update….Jay was. That was horrible. I hope that character is a one-off.

24. hbeachman says:

Weekend Update and The Weeknd Update were the only good parts. I thought Amy Schumer was horrible in her sketches and the sketches themselves were among the suckiest SNL has aired in recent years.

25. DL says:

I actually laughed at the Mrs. Santini bit. It was Jay Pharaoh’s Solomon that left me scratching my head.

26. Dude says:

Mrs. Santini was great and I laughed the most at the Abe Lincoln sketch by far.

27. Tammy says:

Honestly, I thought last week was better sketch wise but pre-taped videos were better this week. I just felt like every skit Amy was in was beat to death. Sort of funny at first and slowly it stops being funny. The PSA and Selfie Stick were much better than anything done live. Weekend Update was rather flat too. I was so looking forward to this episode and I was disappointed.

28. TJ says:

I feel like I have seen Amy be funnier on her show and in her stand up. I thought the two taped segments were funnier than any skit they did on the show. The bartender friend skit was awful as was the Lincoln thing. Considering she has called out stereotypes on her show, I felt like they could have done more on SNL. I thought they wrote better material for Miley than they did for Amy.

• cuius says:

Agree – that appears to be a trend for the taped segments to be far superior to the “live” sketches. Obviously the former have more thought put into them, and greater production input; whereas the live portions have a last-minute thrown-together feel and suffer accordingly. Think the whole concept of SNL should be rethought – standards of entertainment have evolved for the better over the 41 years period

29. Ray says:

Why was Kyle Mooney so ubiquitous this episode? He is the worst! Meanwhile the new Jost lookalike was nowhere to be found.

• dogg says:

They have a full cast this year, you can’t expect to see every cast member in every sketch, especially the featured players.

30. dogg says:

Not really sure why so many people think Weekend Update wasn’t funny. ALL of the jokes between Che and Jost had me laughing this week and I personally thought it was one of the best updates since Seth has left. Jay’s character wasn’t great, but they can’t all be winners. AND McKinnon actually killed it and was throwing out some pretty hilarious lines. Who cares if it’s similar to her other characters?? Doesn’t matter, so long as they’re all funny…

• Sly Trombone says:

My biggest issue is with Michael Che. He gets so caught up in what he’s about to say that he ends up mumbling and throwing away the line. I just assumed they were going to be temporary when Seth Meyers left. The anchor needs to be believable as a news person to make the satire work.