Extant Cancelled

Extant Cancelled at CBS

Now it can be said: Extant is extinct.

CBS has cancelled the Halle Berry drama after two low-rated seasons.

“CBS, Halle Berry and the producers have decided to conclude the Extant story after last season’s exciting and fitting conclusion,” said Glenn Geller, President, CBS Entertainment.

Added Berry: “I am so proud of what we accomplished on Extant. This season seemed such a natural place to end Molly’s journey that I, along with CBS, felt it best served the story to leave it there.”

Extant’s two-hour finale in early September drew 4.6 million viewers and a 0.7 demo rating, down 15 and 36 percent from its Season 1 closer and off nearly 60 percent from its lukewarm launch last summer.

Thoughts? Bummed there won’t be a Season 3? Or do you, like Berry, feel that last month’s finale served as a fitting conclusion to the series?

1. Jedi says:

I knew that stupid CBS would do this – I loved this show and the stars were excellent! The only show left on CBS is NCIS. Oh well….

2. Jada says:

That sucks. Season 2 was so much better than the first season, I was really looking forward to season 3.

3. jjk says:

Glad you got her name right here – the email I just got spelled it wrong. She is named after a dept store that was once in her hometown, Cleveland. BTW, the second season was horrible.

4. Maryann says:

I’m so disappointed, it seems every time I love a show the networks take them off!!!

5. Jake says:

Watched the first 2 episodes.did not live up to expectations.

6. Ray says:

I’m satisfied. They told quite a bit of story in two seasons, and even with that modest cliffhanger most storylines were wrapped up neatly.

• guest says:

the first season the liitle boy adopted robot was the STAR and halle berry looked like an under under under under study which she always plays anyway just a filler in if someone gets sick, it was VOMIT all the way because CBS did not recast halle berry

7. laurelnev says:

So just as it finally enters the “must watch TV’ list after a mediocre 1.5 seasons, they kill it? The last half of S2 was REALLY GOOD! I am very disappointed at this news, as Extant had finally evolved into the best Summer show on the air.

8. mewp12 says:

It wasn’t a fitting conclusion. In fact, it wasn’t a conclusion at all.

9. Love Extant – Halle Berry was fantastic – Miss Gilles! Please do not cancel!

10. Ian says:

Im sure it had at least one more season in it. Truly disappointing. It wasnt a bad show. It could have used more promotion.

11. lame says:

That was expected, the ratings were very low.

12. Mr. Tran K says:

I knew it was about to happen. Extant deserves to get canceled. CBS has high hopes for Zoo in Summer 2016.

• John Houston says:

I think Zoo is a joke compared to Extant. People keep getting killed by animals??? Never watched zoo…never will. At least Extant was thought provoking about the possibilities of what intelligent machines…made by man…could eventually challenge mankind for their survival.

• Edward says:

I watched the first few episodes of zoo. It is as bad as it sounds. It was painfully bad to try and make it through the few shows that I did. And it is low budget. But not low budget enough to be comedic ‘B’ movie style. It is just painfully boring.

• Mr. Tran K says:

I also never watched Zoo. When animals attack humans, the series is like coming out of a horror movie.

13. retsim says:

It could not last .You can only get so much mileage from from such an,, out there! story line .To far fetched to last .

14. nikavila says:

They said they had low ratings and we know that ratings are very important for networks. I guess it was either Zoo or Extant that were going to be cancelled and based on the fact that Zoo had high ratings and it was loved by the fans, we know which show CBS choose to keep.

15. matty says:

I love Halle but my opinion is that she deserved a show much better than Extant. I hope she continues to pursue TV projects and finds one better suited to her talents.

16. Ruth says:

I think for a summer show to get over 4 million viewers is pretty good. Damn! I am going to miss this show.

17. Two shots of everything... says:

Not surprised. The show took a different direction, and I was not a fan of it.

18. DarkDefender says:

So.. Now that Extant is officially extinct.. Can we confirm this was the blind item of the difficult leading lady and reason for no set visit?

• Lysh says:

I can’t find that article anymore, but I thought it said it wasn’t a CBS show.

• DYS says:

It isn’t likely to be her cause if she is so difficult CBS wouldn’t likely be continuing a work relationship with her like they are, but with another show. This article hasn’t’ made mention of that yet but others have so tvline will likely post one.

19. Linda Rogers says:

I will miss this show. There are other shows that should be canceled that are not. What’s up with that?

20. buzzsaw says:

I think the show sucked. it’s about time they shot it down

21. Lyn12 says:

Kind of sorry it was canceled, though I hated that they killed off Goran Visnjic’s character. The whole “humanics plot to take over” thing was just getting interesting!

22. Kendra says:

No!!!! I loved seeing Halle every week (@ least in the summer) and i loved the show as a whole. :( :(

• Geesh, the ending was so good, and I so wanted to see this Mystery Man, who went into a Cafe at the very end, he had the same name as the computer they killed, darn it, and why did it say Eureka on the Cafe’s door?? Now I’ll never know SIGH. CBS is Stupid

23. Diz says:

I was surprised it made it past season 1. I’m not sad to see it go. It just wasn’t good.

24. Eleanor Taylor says:

I watched a couple of episodes just to see her fella actor..for the life of me i can never remember his name. Did’nt much like the story line..loved him.

25. j. Racine says:

Bring back Extant, loved the story

26. Carla Krae says:

Poo. :( Will miss this show. There isn’t much straight-out sci-fi on TV anymore.

27. Diane says:

Really was getting to like Extant sorry it will end.

28. celilidh says:

Why????? I love that serie!! I hope the 3rd season, only one season more!!! Nae!!!!!

29. Darlene says:

All regular channels do that cancel the good programs and leave the junk on, extant was a great show, the only thing left now is criminal minds and n.c.i.s. like usual, does not pay to look at new programs on regular t.v. because they constantly cancel them, no sense in getting into them anymore, that is why i stick to satilite programs…cbs is going down the sewer where nbc is because they cancel all the good stuff and leave junk like i said not worth your time anymore….

30. Elaine says:

One thing about cancellations, I wish the producers, once they’re told their show is cancelled and all other options run dry, would do an interview here and explain what their intended endgame would have been (and how they got there). I realize some producers may not have thought that far, but I expect the vast majority would know. I think that would be a great gift to their fans. I seem to like a lot of shows that get cancelled, so I would love it.

Perhaps you, MR. AUSIELLO (yes I’m shouting that name loudly) our man in the know, could suggest this to some of them. Maybe if they heard how much the fans would appreciate it, they would do it. I would think they would love a chance to talk one more time about their show (unless it’s a bone of contention, of course). What do you think Mr. A? Would some of them be amenable to this idea?

I don’t think it’s necessary (or pleasant) for them to talk about why they got cancelled as that may be uncomfortable for some. I would, however, like to know:

1. The endgame.
    2. How did they get to the endgame. Did they know right from the start how they wanted to
    end it or did that change somewhere as they went along?
    3. In that path to the finale, what unusual, controversial or funny episodes did they have
    planned. Anything they would have loved to do but that was kiboshed by the network
    or Standards & Practices (I think that’s what it’s called, pardon my ignorance if I’m wrong).
    Would any of those episodes give us new insight into characters?
    4. Were any episodes pulled or drastically changed at the last minute due to some outside
    issues or things out of their control (co-star in a car accident; the star got hives; a guest
    didn’t show up and there was no one deemed appropriate for the part ….. that kind of thing).
    5. Any funny/interesting stories behind the scenes?
    6. What’s their next project(s)?

Obviously the most important question is #1 …… even just that if nothing else.

Thanks MR.AUSIELLO

A fan from Canada

31. Kristine says:

Love JDM but even he couldn’t save this awful show. On to better things for everyone involved.

32. prish says:

I was shocked it got a renewal, after the first year. Maybe, there is a 2-year window for academy award winners, as respect, i.e. Kathy Bates & Harry’s Law. It’s too bad they cancelled it, since the show straightened out its kinks and was on a roll. It turned into excellent sic-fi of the highest order, and hopefully they will change their minds at CBS.

33. Jeannette says:

To bad this series was canceled, season 1 was ok but season 2 , I really enjoyed was looking forward to a season 3. Perhaps another network will pick it up or Netflix.

34. BostonGreekGirl says:

So not surprised the show was just not good. I really tried to watch the 2nd season and got thru 3-1/2 episodes and then finally threw in the towel. Wish Jeffrey Dean Morgan had his own show. I know he’s on The Good Wife but I’m talking abt his own show.

35. SherryB says:

FINALLY! I hated that show by the 2nd episode of the first season.Never could understand why after the low ratings that they gave it a 2nd season…Boring didn’t begin to cover how bad it was..

36. michelle says:

cant believe theres not going to be a third series i,m not a tv watcher as a rule but having watched extant on amazon prime i,m now a big fan of this program i think cbs should reconsider another series and make a series 3.

37. Marge Sutcliffe says:

It was awful, Berry was so badly casted, she was utterly unfit for some scenes, struggled to run, and could barely get upstairs. She looked like a woman much older than she actually is.

• Willpower Universal says:

Halle Berry is 49 years of age. How old do you think she looks? I’d say she looks incredible whether she was 29 or 49. And it was those heels that were making her run like that.

The show was the best I’ve seen in a while but I think it’s good thing to conclude a series and not let it drag on and on until we’re all sick of seeing it and dying of anticipation for the next season to start like most programmes these days.

38. D PHIFER says:

I want season 3 of extant!!

39. Katherine says:

I am so so so very disappointed!!! This show was total awesome sauce!!!! I just finished season two on Amazon! Such a great show, we need more of them not great shows being canceled! I am completely bummed out!!!!

40. Julie says:

Gonna miss it soo soo much….

41. Todd says:

Just binged through both Seasons on Amazon Prime. Little disappointed it’s all used up. It did leave us with clues to a continuing saga, with a Humanic rebooting and getting coffee, using the name Taalr, that sure resembles John from behind. Unlikely to make a comeback, but the door is open.

42. MissSpider says:

Booooo!! I really liked this show and was impressed with its substance… My favorite shows always get canned! *stomp*

43. DS says:

I feel that there wasn’t really much story left to tell. The finale was a good end to the series. As the flow of a good story goes, this one reached its natural conclusion. Yeah, we’re all sad it’s over, but who wants to stay too long, and then fizzle out. Maybe they can create a spin off with the hybrids or something.

44. Annette says:

Extant!!??? How could you end this show it was creative and upbeat for me wanting more. Crime series are not my genre and anything in that sort replacing will not be watched by me. I see and hear enough of that in my own town and around the world. What ever happened to expanding our minds and imaginations??? We have new generations to teach….. PEACE and UNITY.

45. Paris says:

I WAS SO LOOKING FORWARD TO SEASON 3. NOT A WISE DECISION!!

46. Lorraine ( England) says:

I’ve just watch second season and loved it!! Please don’t cancel it!!

47. Julie says:

I am sooooo disapointed. This show was the best one since a long time….Actors were awesome, storyline excellent…I just hate when they can trash a good show like this…

48. Cj says:

I never even heard of the series Extant until 1 week ago. I found it on Amazon Prime. I am on season 2 episode 8. I never watch CBS. Which is why I never heard of the series before. Maybe you should have aired it on ABC or NBC. I’m bummed that the show was canceled.

49. Kenya says:

I loved that freaking show, and my girl Halle did the show justice,
    I’m not going to moan and groan, it’s not going to help my cause…. So farewell Extant….I enjoyed the 2 season…