Shadowhunters Trailer: First Look at ABC Family's Mortal Instruments Series

In advance of Shadowhunters‘ Jan. 2016 premiere, ABC Family (soon to be known as Freeform) has given fans a first look at the supernatural series, based on Cassandra Clare’s Mortal Instruments books.

The network on Thursday shared a sequence of action-packed clips via the show’s Snapchat account (TVShadowhunters), which come together to form the first full promo. Now, the completed promo has made its way online.

In addition to giving us a glimpse of leading lovers Clary (Katherine McNamara) and Jace (Dominic Sherwood), the promo also introduces us to their friends, their enemies and everyone in between. There’s champagne-sipping warlock Magnus (Harry Shum, Jr.), bow-wielding ‘hunter Alec (Matthew Daddario), his sister Isabelle (Emeraude Toubia), bespectacled Simon (Alberto Rosende) and last — but certainly not least — gun-toting werewolf Luke (Isaiah Mustafa).

Hit PLAY on the promo above, then drop a comment below: Are you excited for Shadowhunters?

1. Ray says:

Sadly, this looks much cheesier than the feature film (which I happened to enjoy).

• Tom says:

Movie fans really need to stop bashing the tv show. Move on. If the movie would have been any good, it would have gotten a sequel. It didn’t. The show looks much better.

• DL says:

Whether the movie was good or not really has nothing to do with it. Box office numbers are what matter. Not that I care either way; I read the first book and only saw bits and pieces of the movie. I’ll give this a chance too.

• Ray says:

I’m not bashing, merely stating my opinion which I’m free to do (without chastisement or being told to “move on”)

• Sara says:

One could also say that fans of the yet to be released tv series should also stop bashing the movie. I like the books, I liked the movie, I’ll probably also like the show. We are (presumably) fans of this world of characters. Do we have to bash each other?

• tsevca says:

The movie was terrible. Regardless of that, this looks no better.

• Morgan says:

You do realize this is just a promo teaser and doesn’t have any actual film from the show. Most promo teasers are not great, but that doesn’t mean the show will be cheesy. The special effects on the show are being done by the same people that did the effects on The Flash.

2. Morgan says:

This looks fantastic. I can’t wait for January! This looks so much better than the movie.

3. Sarah_ says:

I’m waiting for the actually series to pass judgment..but this first trailer looks ok but nothing amazing yet.

4. This looks like utter crap. Take a bunch of cute young people first…then figure out how to put them all into the same crappy TV-show. No thanks.

5. Lizo says:

I’m excited for the show, and I’m going to watch, but what’s with all the neon?!

6. matraupach says:

Funny thing is that it looks even worse than the feature film, which was only average…
    And if a trailer already looks bad…

7. Mirischka says:

Omg, why so much hate? There is not a sigle scene. This is just a promo with characters. And I think it looks really cool with so many tiny details.

• Eva says:

Don’t pay them attention, it’s just the fans of the movie actors hating on the show… This promo looks really cool!

• Ray says:

Nope, not a “fan” of any of those actors. Comparisons to extant media are inevitable and they will surely continue

8. Liza says:

I don’t get why everyone is so worked up. It’s not even a proper trailer with real footage, just a sort of character-promo shots. I’ll wait for real footage to make up my mind, but anything has to be better than the script for the film.

9. EJ386 says:

I love the book series, and I will watch this show even if it sucks… I just really hope it doesn’t.

10. Jonathan says:

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS

11. Amelia says:

This trailer is kind of awful. Now before anyone jumps on my back, I said the trailer, not the show. I’m going to wait for the show to make a real opinion of it of course. I loved the books but thought the movie was awful. They completely ruined the story so I’m hoping a tv show will have a better go at it.

12. I love the teaser trailer because it’s chock full of symbolism, like the “fearless” rune for Jace and the “love” rune for Alec, the switching colors for Simon, Alec rubbing his ring finger while Magnus slinks in from behind, Magnus and the key, Jace and the birds, Clary and the seraph blade, the ghosts of Magnus and Jace in the Alec sequence… But I guess that’s only interesting to people who read the books and/or the spoilers…

13. Claire says:

There are literally no words for how dumb this looks.

• Why? Because it’s chock full of symbolism that apparently flies right over your head? It’s a teaser trailer made for fans of the books who actually can read the runes used and know what the symbols mean and it was released as such, via Snapchat for Twitter fans and at their NYCC panel.

14. Jimmy says:

The cheese factor is off the charts.

15. Alyssa P. says:

The Alec section of the promo gave me some SERIOUS Arrow promo vibes, but with blue lights instead of dark green. Seriously. Looked great.

16. emski123 says:

It’s sad that the majority of the comments are from people who already decided they hate it, but there are so many more people who absolutely love it and they don’t comment, only the haters do.

17. emski123 says:

It’s sad that most of the comments about the show are written by people who’ve already decided that they hate it, but actually the majority of people love what they’ve been given and are appreciative of it and just don’t comment, only the haters do.

18. steffy lynnie says:

First off theres plently of shows that looked cheesey in promos that turned out to be really good and last long time… I am a fan of the books though i ink certain parts of the movie could of been better i liked it… I am a big fan of both Jamie Campbell Bower & Kevin Zegars.. but also since Vampire Academy very into Dominic sherwood so either Jace is fine by me… I am a big fan of Clace & Malec aswell so either way ill give e show a chance…

19. Morgan Holbrook says:

I love that they are making a tv show about the mortal instruments but I hope the tv show is better than the movie. The movie had a lot of detail errors. Half the settings were wrong and they tell you jace and clary aren’t related in the first movie while if you read the bookseller you don’t know that until the third book. I should know, I read them 12 times. I’m sure that it will be great! So excited!

20. BB says:

The movie had a great cast, on point, and the original story was actually good, a lot of events, and the production of the movie was also great, liked that they went dark with it and all. Problem that made the movie fail more than succeed a lot, is the script sucked. They used lines and added them to different scenes than meant to be and that threw me off sometimes.

The show looks awful, which again is pity because they changed the character too much i feel and the actors are ‘commercial’, like they look all bland and as if they are all somehow siblings. I loved how Jace in the movie stood, he was a beautiful man but still dark and weird looking at the same time. Clary was all American brunette but not too beautiful, and Simon’s actor was on spot. He didn’t even have to talk much and he filled the role, same with Alec’s. They were are so perfectly casted, even too great, which why the script didn’t them justice which is a big big shame, really. And this show is looking really like a D-movie crap and wish they had rather risked taking upon a second movie, i mean, i know twilight was bad but a box office success, but they still had enough to make another one. Shame when things like writing a script comes in the way because, I think fans would’ve waited out if they had to. Breaking dawn was horrible book but the script turned out better than the book. Hmm.. this industry reallly sucks sometimes

21. kyle says:

TERRIBLE. Really how hard is it to do this movie right. Warner bros did an amazing job on Harry potter. They’re the ones who need to be doing this. Already changing the script. Having her Mom tell her who she is, come on we all know that doesn’t happen. That’s what happened to the movie and we know how that turned out. Another what could be an amazing movie or tv series unit a terrible thing lots of people that are going to hate it. Your going to need luck to make this work.