Scandal Recap

Scandal Recap: White House Frown

Scandal fans, are your jaws still on the floor after last week’s game-changing final moment? Would you vote for Olivia’s carefully measured, emphatic “Yes” as the single most satisfying word ever uttered in the history of Shondaland? While the latter question is up for debate (though I can’t imagine a more appealing alternative), there’s no denying Liv’s shocking, long-awaited public confession to being Fitz’s mistress has left plenty of highly entertaining carnage in its wake. Let’s recap, and then discuss!

RUN, ABBY, RUN! | As Fitz and Mellie begin what they think will be a face-saving TV interview — their PR strategy boils down to, ‘Hey, America, our marriage is fine, and Olivia is our friend!’ — we cut to a wild-eyed Abby in gladiator mode, racing through the White House in full-scale damage control mode. The storm troopers — blaming a false alarm in the White House — get there to shut down the cameras, but not before the first couple publicly pledged their love (caught on tape, of course).

MELLIE GOES TO WAR | Meanwhile, after a delightful mini-meltdown upon seeing Olivia’s newsfootage (“Yes? Yes? Yes?”), Mellie decides it’s time for war. Her determination to craft some Olivia payback starts the moment she lays eyes on her in the White House. “Oh look, it’s the girl who can’t close her legs…or her mouth.” Advantage, Mellie! With shots fired, a critical decision must be made: Fess up and tell the truth or start spinning. Fitz quickly ends any further negotiations, telling Mellie, “We cannot lie!” while informing her she will do the interview. Melllie fumes, and while Abby begs her to face the cameras, in walks Cyrus to save the day! The two begin plotting, and Mellie’s ultimate goal is revealed: “I want the Oval.”

DO NOT LIE | Of course, Quinn and Huck find themselves totally left in the lurch by Liv’s confession (they’re swamped with phone calls), but nonetheless instinctively go into ‘let’s help Olivia’ mode. Jake, on the other hand, is having none of it, saying Liv has betrayed them all. “Liv finally stood on her own and we are done,” barks Jake, as he reaches for the vodka. Later, Olivia calls Jake lamenting her decision, and Jake’s “just say the word and I’m on my way” almost knocked me over. Don’t go there, Jake!

GIRL FIGHT | In one of the night’s most explosive moments, Abby finally confronts Liv re: lying about Olitz. Liv’s defense? She was merely trying to protect Abby, who finally let all her frustrations, hurts and disappointments fly. “You didn’t want to tell me because you didn’t think I’d be good enough at my job to handle it…did you?” But near the hour’s end, Liv and Abby mend fences, and Olivia affectionately confirms her faith in Abby’s on-the-job skills, and all is well (for now).

WELCOME BACK, CYRUS | OK, he’s only been AWOL for a few episodes, but have you kinda missed the frantic, eye-bulging energy Cyrus brings to the proceedings? If so, you were in luck, because Cyrus is back in a big way. His ultimate demand for Mellie is crystal clear — Fitz’s full support of her bid for the White House, while Olivia stays on the sidelines. Olivia and Fitz agree they can stomach the deal, at least for now. But later, Mellie balks that it’s too weak, and blames a hobbled Cyrus (“the Cyrus I knew was an animal, a monster!”) for failing. Later, when Cyrus literally begs for his old job back, Fitz once again shows him the door.

FADE TO BLACK | As everyone prepares for the big interview, Olivia (unsettled by Mellie’s booze-fueled warnings of surviving life in the White House) tearfully reminds Fitz of all she’d be giving up by being with him. On the balcony, Fitz gives Mellie a heart-felt apology, and, just like that, the interview is on. But before the cameras roll, Mellie has a change of heart (was it Cyrus telling Mellie “you got played” that did it?) and refuses to do the interview, exiting the White House. Cue Abby, who’s taking Olivia’s advice and doing her job, so she faces the press herself, ultimately deferring all questions to Olivia herself. Oh yes, Abby finally gets to shine in front of the press! But of course, we’re not quite done: In the last scene, we see Jake, paying a visit to Rowan in prison about that mysterious fire at the Louvre. Rowan responds, “Lazerus won?” After a pause, Rowan shakes his head and adds cryptically, “And Nero fiddled while Rome burned.” (Loose translation: Mama Pope’s at it again?!)

Now it’s your turn. What did you think of this week’s episode? Hit the comments!

1. TAL says:

Mama Pope burned down the Louvre. Bet you she did that to get the media attention away from Olivia in DC. Good move! That’s probably why Jake went to go see Papa Pope. He’s the only one who can stop Mama Pope.

• Ulrich says:

Never thought about it that way! All I kept thinking was, “oh no, b613 again”, as I was enjoying life without it. But if only in moderation, I guess it is okay. Jake is still effeminate and annoying though. Oh well, no show is perfect.

• Amira says:

Effeminate? Ulrich, Ulrich, Ulrich! Green doesn’t suit you.

• TrudiV says:

Effeminate and unwashed. There is just this dirty, “unwashed, unkempt look to him.
        Can I borrow your effeminate please… That’s just the word I was looking for.

• Cheyenne says:

Unwashed, yes. Effeminate? Not hardly. I’m not a Jake fan but come on, be fair. There is absolutely nothing effeminate about him.

• Rook says:

Interesting, but I took it the other way. Presumedly Mama Pope (or another) burned the Louvre because all the focus was on Olivia in DC and they could slide under the radar. With little media coverage Jake or Papa Pope might not find out until the next day, giving enough time for said person to be long gone.

• Bigdede says:

That wasn’t that good of a move since it was only a scroll at the bottom of the screen. It didn’t break the news of Olivia and Fitz

• debby says:

PERFECT! Mellie needs to put in a mental hospital!!!!! LOL!!!! President of what!!!!

• Gloawayyy says:

I’m sorry, I’m lost. What is the Louvre? Andd who is Lazarus? Am I missing something?

• Cheyenne says:

The Louvre is the premier art museum in Paris and one of the most important museums in the entire world. Lazarus is obviously a code name for someone; we don’t know who it is yet. I suspect it may be Mama Pope since she, like the biblical Lazarus, effectively came back from the dead when she sprung herself from that dungeon she had been holed up in 22 years.

2. Dan says:

Is it just me or did they spend a bit too long focusing the camera on people’s feet? (Abby, Mellie, Cyrus)

3. Cena Gomez says:

Great episode and I think most fans are happy Olivia said yes. It was time the show blew up the safety net of the Olitz affair. Put it all out in the open makes for a more compelling drama. Mellie is an idiot to trust Cyrus. The moment Fitz ask him back, Cyrus will stab her in the back again. Mellie had a sweet deal, now she really is on her own. Loved Olivia finally choosing Fitz. Nice repeat of the same moment when Fitz chose Olivia in Season 2.

4. niloofar says:

She will be calling Jake from now on?

5. Cheyenne says:

Hmm…. We did know Mama Pope was in France after Cyrus sprung her from prison (or you knew if you watched the extended season finale on DVD) so it would be just like her to make a little mischief while she’s there and burn down the Louvre. Bitch just can’t keep out of trouble. OTOH maybe she did it for Olivia? Start another crisis to divert media attention away from her baby? I’m just having fun speculating here. Loved watching Cyrus begging Fitz for his job back and Fitz telling him to shove it. Glad Charlie decided not to go to New Zealand after all. What or who do he and Huck find (or throw) in the trunk next week?
    Best line of the night: ” Sit down and watch ME choose YOU.”

• Ulrich says:

As another commenter said earlier, I think it was to help her little girl out. I think her love for Olivia is the only good she has inside her.

• Cheyenne says:

I agree. Although Mama Pope as mama bear protecting her cub is kind of a hoot.

• really? then she doesn’t understand the american media and the american public. let’s see in one corner you have the louvre burning on the opposite corner you have the revelation of the president of the u.s. having a mistress. which one will get more media coverage and more public attention? i mean how many people in the u.s. give a damn about the louvre museum?

• Cheyenne says:

Unfortunately your comment is spot-on about how many Americans give a damn about the Louvre. Most Americans probably never even heard of the Louvre. I mean, c’mon, who cares about an artsy-fartsy museum that ain’t even ‘Murican? Probably the Times and the Washington Post and a few other nationally important newspapers would run the Louvre story first, and the tabloids would bury it on page 8.

• this is why i think whoever burn down the Louvre did not do it to distract the public from the revelation of the scandal. The only way this could have been a distraction would have been if it was a terrorist attack (not that i wish that in the fictional or real world) on the Louvre but a “simple” fire at the Louvre, would not distract the american public and media from a salacious scandal of the president cheating on his wife Sally Hemings style…

• Cheyenne says:

I find comparisons between Olivia and Sally Hemings to be genuinely offensive (even though at one point in season 2 Olivia told Fitz she was starting to feel very Sally Heming-ish) for one simple reason: Sally Hemings, unlike Olivia, had no choice. She was not a free agent. She was not in a position to say No. Whether or not Mellie saw herself as some kind of plantation mistress expecting her house slave to service her husband just because she didn’t want to, Olivia was free to decide for herself, which was exactly what she did when she broke up with him at the start of the series.

6. Allison says:

I was happy to see Cyrus back, but was heart broken when he poured his heart out and begged for his job back and Fitz (cold-hearted snake that he is) callously refused. I am glad Mellie decided to let Fitz twist in the wind, but I know it hurt her to do it because all that she had hoped and dreamed for her marriage was so not happening. I don’t know what she and Cyrus will be up to in the coming episodes, but I will be watching. So Papa Pope was back and I had a mixed reaction of yay with an exclamation point and then yay with a question mark. I wasn’t sure how I felt about seeing him, but Jake has to have something to do now that Olivia has sunk her heels in with Fitz. Whatever this new mystery is, it is bound to be entertaining. Lizzie Bear impressed me with her so fire me retort to Fitz’s line of move or I’ll fire you. I didn’t think she had it in her. I respect her for not giving in to Fitz’s tantrum. In last week’s episode she agreed to treat Abby as an equal and in this week’s episode she stood up to the big bully. Way to go Lizzie Bear! I still don’t like her or trust her (she has given no one any reason to trust her) but I no longer want to hurl my bunny slippers at the TV when she comes onscreen. It was a good episode and I am looking forward to the fallout from the mistress reveal and how it affects all involved either directly or indirectly because I know that no matter what, it won’t be boring.

• Ulrich says:

Lizzie pleasantly shocked me too.

• Cheyenne says:

Whoa! Cyrus had Amanda Tanner mirdered, tried to have James killed to shut him up, asked Jame to kill Sally Langston, tried to get Olivia killed in that godawful kidnap episode, and FITZ is the cold-hearted snake?! Cyrus is a demon and he deserves every bad thing that happens to him.

• Lola says:

Cyrus worked with the man that murder Fitz’s son and FITZ is cold? Are you serious?

• Mangochic says:

They are both cold and Fitz is the one who blew up a plane and caused a freaking war leading to at the very least 5,000 lives for his mistress.

• Cheyenne says:

For the last time, blowing up the plane and starting a war were two vastly different issues. Starting the war was inexcusable — but what if he had just let Olivia be sold to some rape camp and killed? Series ends.

As for blowing up the plane, he was a naval officer following orders. He had no way of knowing there was no bomb on the plane. The blame for that fiasco rests solely on Mama Pope.

• TrudiV says:

*** EYE ROLL*** at this continuing dumb statement about blowing up a plane.

Gosh darn it! for Pete’s sake! My aunt’s fanny sake! would you people stop with that crap. Which part of Fitz being in the military doesn’t factor to you people. Are you people just being willfully ignorant?

• Nathalie says:

5000 lives? In another show or this one?

7. Kaleesi says:

Love that this show can still surprise me. (Folivia fans I apologize right now … because ……… I can’t handle Folivia. I just can’t. When they all mushy I hit the FF button. I am so Team Jake it isn’t even funny. But in spite of it all, I wouldn’t miss this show for anything. Can’t wait to what the heck Mama Pope does (did) by the next time we see her. That look on Cyrus’ face made me think he wants to put the screws to everyone: Mellie, Fitz, Olivia. Look forward to seeing what he puts out too.

Now, who is Lazarus? That’s a great foreshadow if I ever saw one.

• Kaleesi says:

Oh and of course Cyrus really wants to put the screws to Elizabeth. Now that’s gonna be interesting.

• Cheyenne says:

Lazarus could be Mama Pope. They both rose from the dead in a manner of speaking.

• fiberlicious says:

I’m totally Team Jake with you. The biggest implausibility of this show is her obsession with Futz. When she could have JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaake.

• TrudiV says:

Olivia wants a man. Jake is like a nancy buoy compared to Fitz, as my Jamaican colleagues would say.

• Aeryn says:

Fitz is a whiny crybaby who lashes out at the women around him with lame apologies and promises that he never seems to mean and backs out of.

Team Anyone But Fitz.

8. So according to the captioning Rowan actually said Lazarus One. I’m guessing it’s some sort of plan that b613 knew about. Maybe mama Pope maybe another spy organization. Loved this episode!

• Ian Ichinisan says:

Oh good. I commented below that I thought to my ears he said, “Lazarus One”? I interpreted it as some sort of B613 code.

Thank you for confirming I heard right.

9. sladewilson says:

I’ve missed Rowan. Joe Morton is the man. I’ve never been an Olitz fan but I’m glad Olivia finally said “yes” and now it’s out in the light. I don’t know why but I have a feeling this season will be on major turnaround for Scandal – like it’s going to reinvent itself…

• Ian Ichinisan says:

There’s an X-FILES episode where Bellamy Young plays Joe Morton’s attorney.

As a Scandal fan it was fun to watch them together pre Scandal.

10. Tennisnsun says:

Great entertainment. Best scene was when the copier ran out of toner! Now that’s real life!!

11. Disgustedalot says:

I cannot be the only person disgusted by scandal smh sleeping with a married man is low

• Lola says:

The entire premise of the show was built on that so why the hell do you watch?

• Bigdede says:

That’s what the show is built on but thankfully Shonda is doing a you reap what you sow with Olivia and Fitz. Instead of just waiting 18 months, they now have to deal with the consequences. Olivia is being made to look like a wh0re and her reputation is taking a hit. Fitz whole presidency will be about him trying to get impeached by congress and him having a mistress. I like that Shonda is showing that having an affair and being a mistress is not all sunshine and rainbows

• Cheyenne says:

There are absolutely no grounds to impeach him on. Having a mistress is not an impeachable offense. Clinton was impeached not for having an affair but for lying about it.
        Fitz did win after Olivia made herself the villain. She realized there had to be one, and it couldn’t be the president. The government still has to function, affair or no affair.

• Dmac says:

But it is an impeachable offense to start a war just to get his mistress back. Fitz’s enemies are going to be looking into every decision he has made in the White House and they will find some serious dirt. It will be entertaining.

• TrudiV says:

Pray they don’t look too hard, or the newly minted senator from Virginia may find her self with a girl friend in cell block 9.

• Cheyenne says:

But then they will have to prove that he went to war over Olivia, and not over the attack on Andrew. The news media already linked Andrew’s “stroke” to the staged attack. Andrew faked his attack to force Fitz into a war and used Olivia as bait. Lizzie Bear helped him plan it. And Cyrus used it to his own advantage to try to get Olivia killed by the CIA because she knew too much. Once the truth comes out, heads will be rolling all over D.C. That will really be entertaining, won’t it?

• I heard cyrus saying that Fitz second term is really strong, i know we really do not see Fitz governing the country, but his decision making process in all those scandalous matters that we are privy to on the show, doesn’t make me feel like this guy could be a great president… but maybe the country is being well governed in spite of him???

12. Carol says:

This episode was disappointing. There was too much Cyrus and Mellie being pathetic.Then we got sucker punched at the end with B613. Why Shonda, why are you so desperate to keep useless Scott Foley employed?

BTW I told you all that Mellie and Cyrus make a terrible team. The two backstabbers do not work well together. Now the negotiated agreement is null and void so Fitz can move forward with the divorce with no strings attached.

If the president is facing impeachment, then he is of no value to Mellie in her quest to become president because his baggage becomes her baggage. Plus Olivia would go on the warpath against Cyrus and Mellie if they try to harm Fitz.

OMG, if Fitz is forced out of office then Susan Ross becomes president and Mellie loses her chance since the sitting president gets priority as the candidate. Haha

Okay, maybe the episode was not all bad except for delusional Mellie and her white
    privilege tears. I swear that woman is bipolar and needs some meds.

The Mellie the Martyr story line again is ridiculous. It actually made me dislike her more because if she hates being First Lady and being in the White House fishbowl, why is she clinging to Fitz so desperately and why does she want to be president to be stuck there 4-8 more years? She is a coward who is afraid to stand on her own. Now she is depending on Cyrus who hates her to support her (good luck with that plan).

13. Carol says:

Actually Fitz played Mellie like a fiddle and then he let Cyrus humiliate himself begging to return to the White House. All the while Olivia sat there like a Queen who everyone (Lizzie, Abby, Cyrus and Fitz.) was looking to for approval. Fitz respects Olivia’s opinion as a strategist which is why he listens to her opinions.

The losers in this episode after all the rantings were Mellie and Cyrus.

The winner was Fitz who get what he wanted from the start – Mellie out of the White House, Cyrus showing is true colors again and Olivia standing by his side. A lot of viewers keep underestimating Fitz because he is not a ranter like Mellie and Cyrus.

• Bigdede says:

Fitz the winner? They’re talking impeachment, the love of his life is getting vilified in the press and her reputation damaged yet Fitz is the winner? No. There is no winners here. Shonda did a great job with that.

• Dmac says:

He was going to start a war to get Olivia back, that is an impeachable offense. Now that their secrets out his political foes will dig up every bit of dirt on Fitz.

• Gwen says:

With Cyrus and Mellie, it will become the cold war strategy of mutual destruction. Everyone knows enough dirt on everyone to go to prison for life, so instead of USING that information for gain, they all keep their mouths shut to stay out of jail. Because if one goes, they ALL go. Mutual destruction.

• Cheyenne says:

What Gwen said. Mellie is purely a creature of impulse. Olivia had her pegged perfectly. Mellie is her own worst enemy. She’s going to destroy herself and drag Cyrus down with her, unless he has sense enough to cut her loose. But he’s so busy trying to revenge himself on Lizzie Bear he’s not thinking straight, which is unusual for him.
            As Mellie said, Cyrus has lost his edge. The old Cyrus would never have gone to Fitz abjectly begging for his job back.

• Cheyenne says:

But then they will have to prove that he went to war over Olivia, and not over the attack on Andrew. The news media already linked Andrew’s “stroke” to the staged attack. Nobody outside of the White House and the CIA knew that Olivia was the reason Fitz went to war, and you can bet the conservative wing of Fitz’s party, especially Lizzie Bear, don’t want the truth coming out. Andrew faked his attack to force Fitz into a war and used Olivia as bait. Lizzie Bear helped him plan it. And Cyrus used it to his own advantage to try to get Olivia killed by the CIA because she knew too much.

• TrudiV says:

Except that to the universe that Scandal inhabits, Fitz went to war for the attack on the Vice President. That was the narrative shown to us. There is enough dirt to go around to send all of them to jail. Is that what you are thinking? Great, let the mud fly then. I would like to see Mellie in an orange jumper being coddled by Big Bertha.

• KEA says:

As long as Olivia and Fitz are together, they are winning. As you saw last night, Mellie only wants one thing and that’s Fitz to not be with Olivia. She had everything a person could every hope for in a divorce settlement, but nope that wasn’t enough. She actually wanted Fitz to say, I’ll leave Olivia alone until the end of my presidency, which that wasn’t happening. So yeah they are winning by staying together.

14. robandco says:

Can we talk about how bad Young’s acting was during the opening scene? She’s never getting an award after that…Very poor directing too.
    The show is going nowhere. Always the same stuff. For 5 seasons we’ve had the same storyline. I’m getting bored by Olivia at this point. Clearly they can’t be together but Shonda keeps doing the same stuff over and over. It is unrealistic that even after the first reveal in season 3 people would have been following Liv around all the time.
    Abby was amazing and I very much like what they are doing with her character.

• That’s Shonda’s MO. She did the same on Grey’s Anatomy. Meredith and Derek were on again/off again so many times, it drove me crazy. At one point I didn’t care if they stayed together or broke up, I just wanted her to make up her mind.

• robandco says:

Indeed. But In Grey’s after season 4 they were together for good. With Scandal I fear they can’t be together, like never, and that they will do that will they/won’t they dance for the entire duration of the show (unless you know, if he get killed off by the Shondanator or for the final season with the happily ever after, or not).

• that is why for the past two seasons my favourite story line was rowan pope against almost everybody even his daughter. One thing bothers me, i understand this is fiction but the attorney general doesn’t do what David Does acting a simple Federal district attorney. He is the AG of the USA, he doesn’t conduct investigations… he has big part of the government to manage including the fbi… he has no time to invstigate the first lady’s office by himself…

15. Coal says:

There tends to be a irrational hatred for Bellamy Young and Scott Foley on such forums which I will never understand.

• Carol says:

Because Bellamy Young really thinks she is some great actress for playing Mellie. She re-tweets the praise sent to her by her stans like a narcissistic moron. She is as delusional as her character Mellie. Plus I started to despise her when she said that she likes calling Kerry’s character Olivia a whore. Who says that?

As for Scott Foley, he is an entitled frat boy fool. I was indifferent to him until he belittled the working poor and then bad mouthed a worker at Starbucks on Twitter. Also he is insecure and conceited – I howled with laughter when Scott had Josh Malina delete a picture of his big bald spot.

• Coal says:

So basically you hatred of them is based on Twitter ? Okay.

• Carol says:

Nope, I have seen their interviews. They are both not very smart people. To quote “When people show you who they are believe them”

Plus everyone knows that idiot Scott tried to sue ABC when his wife left him for her co-star years ago. Talks about a wiener. ABC did not want him on the Scandal but Shonda had to have her crush in a role.

• Dmac says:

Umm everyone doesn’t know that because it never happened. Sorry to break it to you, but that is what irrational hatred will do, you start believing everything you hear no matter how insane it is.

• Dmac says:

Nope the Starbucks thing was a lie as was the suing ABC. I get it you don’t like him but use some common sense and realize half of what you read is make believe. Scott Foley is well liked and respected and Shonda doesn’t suffer fools do you think he would have lasted this long if everything you said was true?

• fiberlicious says:

Thank you for reminding me that I don’t give a crap about the actors as people and wouldn’t waste a nanosecond reading anything about or from them on social media.

• Cheyenne says:

I don’t hate Young. I think she’s doing a great job convincingly playing a thoroughly obnoxious character. I can separate the actor from the part she’s playing. Although I think her acting in this episode where she finds out Olivia said “yes” was way over the top.
      Foley is something else again. I don’t hate Jake and I don’t like him. I think Foley’s an adequate actor, but no more than that.

• TrudiV says:

That is to counter the irrational hatred of Fitz and Olivia. Everything is a bell curve, don’t you think?

16. gina says:

Loved last night’s show. Just waiting for Olivia and Fitz to be together for good and living happily in Vermont.

• Kay Johnson says:

Gina, I also loved last night’s show. The best of it was the last scene when Olivia told Fitz, “sit down and watch me choose you”.

17. leah says:

i want more huck and quinn

18. Ian Ichinisan says:

It thought it was “Lazarus One”? As in a code name for something…

19. dj says:

I am definitely TEAM MELLIE…I am so sick of Olivia and her weird facial expressions. I hope Mellie and Cyrus get her and Fitz good!!!!

20. dj says:

Why aren’t these comments by most recent first?