Grey's Anatomy Recap

Grey's Anatomy Recap: Maybe Baby

The promos for this week’s Grey’s Anatomy sure worked hard to make us think that Alex would be handing out cigars a few months down the line. But was Jo really feeling like she wanted to puke because she was expecting? Or was Shonda Rhimes pulling a fast one on us? Read on, and I’ll tell you!

KID STUFF | Early on in “I Choose You” (obviously shortened from its full title, “I Choose You, Pikachu”), Jo seemed to confide in Stephanie that she’d just found out she was pregnant. (It was never overtly stated — this would be important later.) Off her friend’s insistence that she talk to Alex, stat, Jo caught her beau off guard by blurting out, “Do you wanna have kids?” When he stammered a bit — wouldn’t you? — she became frustrated. “It’s a simple yes or no question,” she said. Only, of course, it was anything but a simple question. “What the hell is going on?” he finally asked.

Alex’s day wasn’t much easier on the medical front. Not only did he have on his service Andrew, who seemed to hate kids so much that he felt compelled to insist (over and over),  “I don’t hate kids,” Karev was also treating newborn twins, both of whom were dying of liver cancer. The father was a match to be a donor, but that still left them short a donor. Rather than make the parents decide which baby lived and which died, Alex said that he’d make the call.

That evening, though Karev was only home to get a coupla hours of sleep, Jo revealed that she’d found a document that tipped her off to his frozen embryos with Izzie — and she was not pleased. Was Izzie the woman with whom he knew he wanted to have kids while Jo was just “the ‘Let’s get a dog!’ girl”? Alex tried to explain, but his girlfriend wasn’t having any. So “I have to get sick,” she said, “to find out if you’re all in with me?” Finally, he went back to the hospital. He didn’t want to discuss babies that he never had when he had two already depending on him.

Informed by Arizona that the newborns were out of time, Alex wanted to let Bailey make the call as to which one lived and which one died. But, after a pep talk from Robbins — watching him, “I have been so proud of you,” she said — he stuck it out. He even threw a Hail Mary in hopes of saving both kids. When it didn’t work, bless his heart, he held the dying baby until the boy flatlined. (Sniffle.)

Post-surgery, Arizona delivered the good news about the surviving baby girl, and Alex delivered the bad news about the baby boy. At home, Alex reassured Jo that he wasn’t going anywhere. And, “if having a kid is what you want, I can be ready,” he said. (He even dropped trou to show her how ready he could be.) And all was right with the world again.

FATAL ATTRACTION? | As the hour began, Jackson — tired of sleeping on the couch — kicked April out (mind you, he did offer to book her a hotel room). But when he came home that night, his estranged missus announced that neither was she giving up on them, nor was she moving out. Oh, and she’d made dinner. “What is it, boiled bunny?” asked Jackson. “’Cause you sound crazy.” In April’s ears, however, she sounded like someone who was committed to making things work. If it was hard, so be it — that’s marriage, she said. Unfortunately, her husband had already gone from feeling abandoned when she went overseas to feeling like a reverse hostage upon her return (since his “abductor” wouldn’t stop following him around!). He even threw out the “d” word and promised to have the locks changed as soon as she went to work. In turn, she swore to return with a crowbar. Which didn’t turn out to be necessary. Jackson hadn’t changed the locks — he’d packed up and gone to bunk at Bailey and Ben’s.

MONEY, LOVE, SEX | After Maggie, then Callie, made a face while looking at Mer’s new contract from Bailey, Grey insisted that Callie tell her why. So… ? Bailey lowballed her. “I make a lot more than you,” Callie admitted. “Like, a lot more.” Over drinks that night, Callie and Amelia encouraged Mer to renegotiate. What did Maggie think? Oh, she was distracted as hell. Having been invited to “empirically sexy” Ethan’s wedding, she was questioning her disastrous life choices. Which Amelia, frankly, loved. Maggie “makes me not the crazy sister,” she noted.

The next day, Richard confronted Bailey about her offer to Mer, and got a stellar response. “It’s not my job to be giving away money when it’s not asked for,” Miranda pointed out. And, while Webber had coddled Mer previously, “she needs to rise, and she needs to rise on her own,” Bailey argued. And lest he be left with any doubt, she added, “This is what a feminist looks like, sir.” (Surely, she’d also have dropped the mic if she’d been holding one.)
Near the episode’s end, Mer challenged Bailey about being devalued. “Do you have a number in mind?” Miranda asked. Mer wrote one down. “I can make that happen,” Bailey said, adding, “Well done.” (Extremely well done, Miranda.)

HITS AND MISCELLANEOUS | In other developments, we learned that Amelia occasionally dressed in the backseat while carpooling to work with Mer and Maggie; Andrew confessed to Alex that he didn’t want to be in peds because his past as an EMT had made him afraid that he wasn’t strong enough for it; and out drinking, Maggie just up and kissed Andrew — and, according to the scenes from next week, did a lot more than that, too!

OK, your turn! Did you guess that Jo wasn’t pregnant all along? Hit the comments!

1. Al says:

Loved Alex and this eps…
    Greys at its best when it focuses on select characters instead of trying incorporate everyone

• LC says:

So much YES! When he picked up the newborn off the OR table, I became a puddle. I said to my hubby, “Alex just grew up.” He’s been on this path for awhile now, but he finally showed us that he’s arrived.

2. cdeno says:

This was a strong episode.

I love the Alex character, this episode was amazing.

And Bailey is better as chief in this episode.

There has been a lot of talk about money ( Arizona needing a roommate in the first episode cause apparently she doesn’t have any and now Meredith) that seems odd to me since Meredith owns the hospital.

So based on Callie’s remark about falling in love in less than 6 months, I would assume she is talking about her new someone.

3. N says:

Izzie’s eggs! I love April and Jackson…..

4. njoyw92 says:

Am I the only one confused?! I thought jo was pregnant and then she said she didn’t want a baby right now..so what was the bathroom scene about?!

5. AmritaM says:

This better be leading up to a pretty epic April-Jackson reunion.. I dont see it ending..

• Larc says:

I think Jackson would be an idiot to take April back. What she’s done TWICE is unforgivable, IMO. How could he know she won’t decide to do it again? Marriage is a contract and she totally breached it.

• tark says:

I’m torn. In the beginning I wasn’t an April/Jackson fan because she seemed so immature and a bit silly. This season she seems more like a “woman” fighting for a man she knows she hurt and wronged. Women give men 2nd/3rd and 4th chances. I think Jackson needs to give April another chance to show him how much she really loves him.

• Alisha says:

Thats not entirely fair.. April dint up & leave for the heck of it. She left to deal with a devastating loss & while I know that Jackson was dealing with the same loss, ppl have different ways of coping. But she has accepted her mistake & is trying to rectify it. & I dont think there’s anything wrong with fighting for your marriage. I think think he should give it a shot. Mainly because its pretty obvious that Jackson doesnt really want to end the relationship. He is being stubborn & protecting himself from getting hurt (kinda like he did at the beginning of season 10 when she said she wanted him & he blew her off although he had feelings for her).
        But I have a feeling that they’ll work through it even if Shonda’s record would indicate otherwise.

• Zia says:

Im sorry. Do you really think her staying back JUST because he wanted her to would have helped anything? They already had issues before she left & they would still be there. Succumbing to an ultimatum is never a good way to rebuild a relationship. They’d have to fight for their marriage either way.

• Tony says:

It would have been a start. Yes, they had issues. But in this case, she completely disregarded his feelings in what had happened and her leaving didn’t even give them a chance to fight for their marriage. What she did was completely selfish and inconsiderate. I am sure from Jackson’s POV, the ultimatum was the last resort. She had obviously made up her mind anyways

6. Mary says:

This episode was awesome. Izzy eggs…hot Alex with babies….Miranda and her lessons…hilarious drunk ranting about aliens…love it all

Except

When did Grey’s stop having awesome and unique music and instead these super bizarre covers????? Sooooo bad!!!!

• Red Snapper says:

I agree that this was one of the best episodes in a long time. I teared up a few times. I also think that the music choices have been off. I mostly find the covers annoying and don’t always think they go.

• Tammy says:

I thought that last week with the music.

• zac says:

I think this week’s usic was better than the last 2 weeks. Didnt notice them as much this episode

• Bazinga says:

Agree with everything you say here! Especially the freaking music. Don’t want no scrubs playing during the super serious your babies have cancer scene. What the eff?

7. Allison says:

I was just so happy that this episode mostly featured Alex. It is about time that he get serious screen time. Justin Chambers has always been so good at playing all the many different faces of Alex. I think I cheered when I realized that he was going to be in this episode for more than two seconds! I always enjoy any scene with Bailey and the chief (sorry, Richard will always be chief to me). Maggie’s description of being an alien sent to earth on an exploratory mission and then the plant exploded behind her was hilarious. I think that scene made me love Maggie even more than the episode where she hauled off and socked that lady in the face. I enjoyed tonight’s episode and I am glad I didn’t give up on one of my favorite shows. It is still nice to watch – especially when Alex has a major role to play in an episode!

8. Gaby says:

Did I miss something? If Meredith owns the hospital then why does she need to negotiate her contract with Bailey?

9. Heh says:

I nearly lost it when Alex cradled that dying infant.

This season has been fantastic.

10. Helen says:

WHO IS IN CHARGE OF THE MUSIC THIS SEASON? It’s been awful!! Nonstop covers, seriously, no scrubs?!?!?!.. It really takes away from the show, I hope that they stop this soon.

11. Dominique says:

i’m glad this episode was a lot more alex-centered, they’re always my faves!
    jo needs to chill tho. she really starts yelling and to get angry all the time for no reason, playing the victim while alex is the bad guy. please girl, grow up.

12. DarkDefender says:

I really love the lighter approach Shonda is taking this season. The episode was pretty well rounded. Totally got me when Alex decided to have the baby die in his arms and not alone on the OR table. All the feels!
    I agree with serveral commenters above who have mentioned that the music drowned out the dialogue, specifically when Mr. super intern was telling Alex why he didn’t like Peds. Very distracting.

• Mary says:

I agree on the music this year. I’m not loving it. But I also think they toned it down a lot. In previous seasons the music was so loud you couldn’t hear the dialogue. Now it’s more background music.

13. A says:

I love that Alex was in this episode so much! I hope it continues.

*sigh* I’m sorry, I can’t help it. I still miss Derek.

14. Pat says:

I bawled my eyes out during that scene of Alex holding the baby. I knew when he started to take off his surgical clothing, that he was going to pick up that baby so that little one would hopefully feel the comfort and touch of a human holding him as he passed. That had to be one of the most touching scenes that I have ever witnessed on TV. Yes, Shondra tricked me into thinking that Jo might be pregnant. It is hard to watch the implosion of April and Jackson’s marriage. Not happy at all, with what the writer’s and Producer’s have done with these two characters.

15. kate says:

this japril sl is killing me. I get Jackson is pissed, April just need to give him time while continue to fight for thei marriage. they need to a talk, not fighting, but really talk about samuel and the pain they still have.

p.s. I am not liking how the writer are handring japril relationship. as usual they use them only as a promotional things and then give them only 3 min screentime.

16. BCT says:

Izzie’s eggs. Knew that was going to come back up at some point.

17. trvally says:

Jackson is a millionaire. The man is complaining about sleeping on his own couch because it is uncomfortable. Instead of going to a hotel, which he can clearly afford, he opts to sleep on Bailey’s couch???

• lizzie says:

Especially when he said he would get April a hotel room. He couldn’t get one for himself?

• That was addressed by Ben at the end, “we couldn’t let him sleep at a hotel”

• trvally says:

No, it wasn’t addressed. Jackson was complaining about sleeping on his couch. So why would he go and sleep on Ben’s couch. If he was uncomfortable on a couch, then a bed would be better. Plus he is a grown man with a job, get a hotel room until you can rent another apartment. With his position and finances, he should have a place in a matter of days.

18. Mandy says:

One of the best episodes in a long time. Loved it.

19. tark says:

Love the idea of Maggie and Andrew.

20. Lauren says:

I gotta say, I don’t love crying my eyes out watching network television. I mean, it was good just guess but it’s also an episode I will never watch again. I can’t take it. Maybe it’s because I have a two yr old and we’re trying for another. But that was too much for me. Next week better be all “light!” and “fun!” like Shonda keeps saying this season is supposed to be. Dying babies: not light or fun.

• Anna says:

I think Shonda meant “light” and “fun” for the main characters – it’s a hospital though, and Alex and Arizona are doctors that work with kids, so it’s pretty impossible for all of their patients to have good outcomes.

21. t.w.123 says:

I agree with everyone that this season has thus far started on a strong note (this episode being one of favs!), but I’m kind of enjoying the covers… which seems to put me in the minority. I think that they’ve been a nice departure from the norm. It probably won’t last forever, but I feel like its been a good change of pace. Either way, so happy for an Alex episode! So happy for the drunk Maggie scene! So happy for where greys is going this year!

• Patrick says:

AGREE!!! I love the covers!

• Bazinga says:

They’ve actually been doing the stupid cover thing for a while maybe even the last two seasons. They also did it on the last season of private practice. I hate them so I really notice I guess. It’s not even that they are covers its that they make no sense. No scrubs was AWFUL for that sequence. At least wrecking ball in the premiere jived with the plot.

• Anna says:

I actually quite enjoyed when they first started the covers – it was at the end of season 10 and they were using all 80s covers. They were enjoyable though, because they were choosing quality covers of good songs that blended well with the tone of the scene. Now it just feels like they are picking random songs and throwing them on top of random scenes. And making them way too loud. It’s a shame because it started out so well. But now, I need it to stop!!

• Rachel says:

I completely agree! In the past they have done amazing covers that fit the scene. But “No Scrubs” “Shake it Off” and “All About that Bass” we’re horribly placed and very, very distracting. Disappointing.

22. mika02 says:

I loved this episodes and I really love the new direction that the show has moved into.

23. robandco says:

Maggie is just so precious. I hope we get a “oh no” morning after. Because that’s just her and it would be hilarious.
    I hope Jackson won’t be dumb enough to take April back. Ok, they were cute together but April was so self-centered. I Jackson hadn’t been a total jerk with Stephanie they could get back together but I don’t see that happening unless she makes Jackson her little b*tch.
    This new season is so much fun to watch, so light-hearted! But Grey’s being Grey’s, the mid-season finale will be terribly gut-wrenching and sad.

24. Whatevah says:

I want Alex w/ Maggie.

25. Em says:

Really starting to like Andrew. On an unrelated note, I like how this show feels again. It is fresher than it has been. It is almost, dare I say, better now that McDreamy is gone. Don’t get me wrong, I screamed at the TV and threw things, but honestly, I like the newness of it.

26. Luli says:

The sister scenes slay me!! I love what they are doing with the show this season. Maggie, Mer, and Amy are my fav part of the show.

Also Team Peds is back! That speech from Arizona made me tear up a bit. My fav episode so far from the season.

• Bazinga says:

I’m actually loving the Japril stuff. I really hope we see them work it out, go to counseling, grieve together finally and get their happy ending.

Alex finally getting to be sole focus was awesome! Love him and when he picked that baby up 😭😭 all the tears.

27. Sara says:

Jackson and April better not end! This story is pure crap anyway!

28. Anna says:

THIS is the episode I have been waiting for. Easily the best episode in a long time. And Alex was front and center – why don’t we have more of this?? Justin Chambers is a fantastic actor, and he really makes his multifaceted character so captivating. Even when he’s being cranky or grumpy, Chambers manages to still make Alex human and so lovable. But Alex holding the dying baby killed me. This episode just really highlighted how ridiculous it is that they have been underutilizing Alex for way too long.

Also, Maggie was hilarious in this episode. Welcome to the long list of bosses banging their interns/residents in this hospital, Pierce.