Scream Queens Recap: Busy Bodies

While Saint Chanel Oberlin pulled a Taylor Swift on Tuesday’s Scream Queens, bestowing Chanel-o-ween gifts upon her adoring fans, the Fox comedy rewarded viewers with a few gifts of its own: actual answers!

Grace and Pete, dressed to perfection as Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey from How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, met with a Kappa from 1995 who revealed what really happened that night — or her version of what happened, at least. After Munsch (allegedly) helped the girls bury their dead friend, she put the fear of God in each of them, leading one girl to kill herself, another to become institutionalized and the others to change their names after moving away. Of course, it’s unlikely we’ll hear any more of the story from her; the Red Devil made sure of that.

Before her death, the Kappa also told the junior sleuths that the baby born in the bathtub was a girl, which lead Grace to jump about six episodes into the future, asking her dad if she was the baby and accusing him of being the campus killer. (I can’t say I blame her for jumping to those conclusions, considering we’ve had Wes on our list of suspects since Day 1.)

SHADY LADY | This week’s other big mystery revolved around a supposed ghost who began haunting the town after the death of the ’95 Kappa. But because there ain’t no such thing as ghosts, Grace and Pete connected the alleged phantom to a string of milk and diaper robberies, deducing that a real(ly crazy) woman took the Kappa baby and raised her in the shadows. And if the final shot of the episode is to be taken as gospel, that lady was none other than… Gigi!

YES, SHE CAN | For the record, Zayday would totally get my vote for President of Kappa Kappa Tau — assuming she turns up in time for the election, of course. After declaring her intention to snatch Chanel’s wig throne, Zayday found herself face-to-face with the Red Devil, who was kind of enough to settle for a kidnapping, rather than a full-blown murder. But the question is: Who organized the kidnapping? Was it Chanel, fearing for her future at KKT? Or was it Denise Hemphill, a former student who may or may not see Zayday as everything she never had the chance to become? I guess we’ll find out next week. (Or, you know, we won’t.)

GROSS COUPLE ALERT! | Given their shared love of the dead, I’m not surprised by Chad and Hester’s near-hookup this week, though I’ll admit I’m forever changed after hearing Lea Michele utter the phrase “attack my crack.” Fortunately, and I use that phrase very loosely, #Chester’s rotten rendezvous was cut short when the pair realized that the wax figure of Ms. Bean upon which they were planning to bang was… actually Ms. Bean! Yes, friends, the Red Devil placed all of his victims — including my sweet Coney — in Zayday’s haunted house, and considering this was only the first part of a three-week Halloween event, I have a feeling we haven’t seen the last of them.

Scream-ers, what’s your take on this week’s episode? Do you think Wes is the killer? And what was up with that final shot of Gigi? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. LilAngel says:

The show is getting better with each episode. Lea Michele is absolutely perfect. It’s funny and incredible. Wes being the killer and Grace the baby are too obvious. I prefer Chanel or Hester as president of KKT (nothing against Zayday but she would be way less crazy). As for Chester (Chad and Hester), I can’t wait to watch their hook up with or without dead bodies around

• Lady says:

Hester and Chad are hilarious and hilariously gross together. Like Andy, I also lost it at that attack my crack line. I think Chanel is the baby tbh. Zayday for president! Just as long as she watches her back near staircases with Hester around.

2. Joey says:

There was far too little Nasim Pedrad in this episode, and in a show where (at least, for me), she and Niecy Nash are the absolute highlights of every episode, the more of each of them, the better.

• Lady says:

Detective Denise truly cracks me up every time. lso, she supports our local libraries lmao. The end was a good reveal for Gigi though so I hope to see more Nasiim in upcoming episodes!

3. Guy says:

Nasim Pedrad is 32 years old. IMO she can’t realistically pass for someone older than about 35 (she doesn’t look old), so it makes no sense for her to have been the woman raising the Kappa baby 20 years ago.
    Also, why were Grace and Pete dressed in costumes when they went to speak with that woman? It’s not like they were going to a Halloween party afterward.

4. Me says:

I don’t think they were going to bang Ms Bean just bang near Ms Bean.

5. Adam says:

The show is slowly getting better and seeming like there’s an actual story behind things instead of things happening “because it’s funny” with no regard to characterization, but what was with that women empowerment scene? It just came from completely out of nowhere, totally left-field for the show’s plot, tone, the characters, and everything. Given Ryan Murphy’s penchant for preachiness on Glee, I can’t tell if that was supposed to be parody or if the writers actually thought that was something smart in all of its heavy-handed randomness.

6. Chloë Rose says:

Oh how funny Lea Michele was this week. Her scenes with Glen Powell were the highlight of the episode.

7. MiaB says:

That scene in the haunted house with Niecy Nash and Keke Palmer had me literally crying. Denise Hemphill steals every scene!

8. KC says:

I’ve stopped watching.

9. robandco says:

Ok, best episode so far. The cold opening was hilarious. It was a picture perfect replica of what Taylor Swift did down to the small toy car.
    This is the first episode that actually made me laugh. The scene with Denise and Zayday attacking each other was so funny and Hester and Chad are perfect together and their scenes where they discovered the bodies was hilarious.
    The plot thickens and it’s becoming very interesting.

10. chlocoro says:

What if….. The ‘girl in the bathtub’ did not die and she woke up buried alive and that girl is Gigi…she did say something traumatic happened in 1995 and that’s why her fashion is stuck there. They had said that the hag was wailing looking for her children so her child was taken away…plus I have a hard time believing that she raised a child in that house. Looks more to me like a child was taken away. Also considered the diapers and milk but that stuff was only stolen once…that we know of anyway. Please let me know if I’m missing something and I’m totally wrong :)

• robandco says:

That is a theory that I really like. It makes a lot of sense. Plus the burial scene followed by a hand surging out of the ground would be pretty cool.

11. Michelle says:

Didn’t Grace say in an earlier episode she was turning 19? Wouldn’t that make her too young to be the baby? Or am I missing something?