Exclusive

Grey's Anatomy Video: Jackson/April Marital Rift Turns Fatal Attraction-y as Divorce Is Threatened

You know a marital dispute has careened into nasty territory when the words “boiled bunny” and “divorce” get dropped in the span 30 seconds. Such is the case with Jackson and April, whose relationship crisis nears Fatal Attraction proportions in Thursday’s Grey’s Anatomy (8/7c, ABC) — and we have an exclusive first look at the couple’s heated confrontation.

In the above clip, Jackson returns home from a long day at Grey Sloan to what he thinks will be a quiet, empty apartment, only to discover a carefree, slightly cray-cray April (AKA the woman he just kicked to the curb) preparing a feast in the kitchen.

Why are you doing that,” he sighs. “April, you’re supposed to be packing.”

“I’m not leaving,” she shoots back. “I’m not giving up.”

Aaaaaaand… from there it goes downhill fast. At one point, Jackson feels the need to remind his wife that it’s his name on the lease and not hers. By the time we get around to the “boiled bunny” and “divorce” of it all, you’ll be ready to declare the time of death on ‘Japril.”

Press PLAY above and then hit the comments with an answer to this question: Can this marriage be saved? Do you even want it to be?

1. Zia says:

It breaks my heart to see this. They were so adorable together but i dont know how they come back from this.. and I get both their perspectives. I really do hope they could work ot out homehow.. I hate this.

• brandi says:

Same here. I understand why she felt she had to do what she had to do, even though it was a bit selfish on her part. But I understand why Jackson is so mad too. And I think he has every right to be. But if she had stayed would it have made everything ok? Or would she be the one unraveling?
      I do think she needs to stop talking about promises and commitment. I know why she is saying it, but she almost makes it sound like the only reason she wants to stay together is because her faith/religion doesn’t believe in divorce. She has made her point, now I think she needs to give him some room before she beats the situation to death. Last weeks 911 call to him was over the top. Especially for a doctor who knows about emergency’s and being in surgery.
      I want them to stay together. I want them to work it out but she is being a bit pushy right now.

2. Mar says:

I haven’t watched a full season of grey’s since like 3 or 4 seasons ago, but I’m really loving Jackson and I think both his characterization and Jesse Williams’ acting have gotten a lot better with years. To be honest, I enjoy his “straight man” role and his dynamics with everyone except for April (whom I find insufferable despite how much I’ve tried to enjoy her), so I wish they’d split for good. I hated the typical Grey’s crap they pulled on her wedding to Matthew (and Steph!) but I get the feeling that it was something Jackson regrets and that he feels his bad karma kicking him in the butt for it, so in the end it hasn’t made me hate his character that much. April does sound crazy and her idea of what marriage is and is not is disturbing to say the least. And he’s on point about everything he said to her this past episode (that she’s selfish, that it’s all about her needs).

tl;dr- i’m hoping for a divorce, but I don’t see it happening, unfortunately.

3. Eran says:

Jesse Williams and Sarah Drew are churning out some pretty effin’ spectacular performances here! Can’t wait for this episode. Grey’s is having such an awesome creative resurgence so far.

4. Mandy says:

Please say it isn’t so Shonda! Please give me hope that they will work things out because I love Jackson with April. The grand gesture and declaration of love (dumping WhatsHisFace at the altar) now means nothing?

5. Trista says:

I dislike Jackson immensely. Why couldn’t he just have let April be happy with the other guy?

• Meg says:

April didn’t have to leave Matthew at the alter. She could have said no.

• Dmac says:

He didn’t force her to leave Matthew, that was her decision as was her decision to leave him and go back to the war front. He told her if she left he wouldn’t be waiting for her so the choice was hers and she chose wrong.

• Sheryl says:

You say that like she didn’t have any choice in the matter

• abby says:

If what April felt for Matthew held a candle to what she felt for Jackson she would never have been able to do what she did to him. It’s possible if Jackson never presented himself as an option her feelings for Matthew would have been enough and they’d have a happy and content life together but it’s also equally possible another man would have came along that awoke something in April that again out shinned what she felt for Matthew or even that she’d spend her life with him but eventually bitterly regret wasting her life with a man she didn’t truly love.

6. leash10 says:

Does Shonda not know or care to give anyone a happy ending? Marriage takes work & is worth fighting for and vows should mean something. Yes, they’ve been through some horrible crap but these are things that with time can be talked about & eventually worked out & their marriage restored.

• Eran says:

Exactly. They take time! So no one can expect them to be magically resolved over two episodes. This is Grey’s strength. It represents the more difficult parts of life far more realistically than most television shows. Yeah, it’s gruelling to watch but it’s also poignantly real.

7. Whatevah says:

Yay! Then maybe she can go back overseas and I won’t have to hear or see her again! Please, Please, Please..

8. AmritaM says:

Okk.. What i dont understand is why Shonda & co are torturing this couple so much.. I mean its Greys, arent there couples she could use as a source for drama? Dont get me wrong, Im all for Jesse & Sarah having more screen time & bringing their A-game, which they have been but isnt there any other way than to shower them with heartbreaking storylines? Its almost been a complete season worth of episodes since they were happy. So make them sit & talk it out like grownups or just pull the plug. I love them together & think they have the best chemistry of any couple on the show but I cant see them miserable any longer.

• PL says:

Um…Shonda has already put every other Grey’s couple through drama. Besides Jackson and April, and Alex and Jo, what other couples are there to create drama for? Owen and Amelia aren’t developed enough yet and Bailey and Ben’s drama will undoubtedly be focused on her new position as Chief. That’s about all we’ve got for couples… (I excluded Richard and Catherine since she isn’t a full cast member).

9. kara says:

they need to work this out together….they are the only couple left i like on the show…shondra can ruin also them

10. I’m on Jackson’s side. April is still not listening to Jackson and respecting his wishes. It’s all about her.

• the girl says:

I am in complete agreement with you. I could have some empathy for them if she would just give him what HE needs. She STILL does not care about his feelings. You cannot force a person to want to reconcile with you. Her selfishness is making me want them to break up.

11. Presley says:

April and Jackson were the reason I started back watching this show and I’m barely holding on now. I’m loathing that baby storyline and wishing the aftermath could have been addressed better by the writers. April standing in front of a nursery for 5 seconds looking sad was not enough. The heavy handed negativity for some characters on this show is ridiculous at times and does not motivate me to watch. Jesse and Sarah rocking the emotions tho …

12. jurah says:

Another greys couple that will go through HELL and then get back together and then we must expect them to live happily ever after. I’m so over shonda and her constant need to have drama for couples. I don’t want them to get back together. Realistically they probably can’t come back from this and it’s more realistic to have a couple divorce and move on and find love else where than somehow one day realise they want to be together again. She’s done that storyline too many times in this show now.

13. Sara says:

Japril can’t be over.Nope!

14. Allison says:

As heartbreaking as this was for me to watch, I understand both perspectives completely. This was bound to happen because Jackson held in his feelings for so long. April shut down and withdrew from Jackson after the death of their baby. They didn’t grieve together because April literally ran away from it and tried to escape the pain of the loss. I understand that she went somewhere where she could actually do some good and save a life, well save lives. I am sure she needed that. The problem is that her husband needed her. Now she wants to come back and she thinks that that action alone will fix all that has been broken. She either doesn’t understand her husband very well or doesn’t care to understand his feelings. I don’t know if she’s being selfish or if she is having a breakdown, but whatever the case Jackson is having none of it. I do believe that the marriage can be saved, but it will take time. Nearly all of the couples on this show have gone through hell so this is not surprising. Cristina and Owen (my favorite) were definitely put through the ringer. Shonda knows drama so Jackson and April will not be spared any misery. Nevertheless, I am rooting for them.

15. Jess says:

Miracles, I believe in miracles!! I won’t be declaring time of death any time soon. He needs space and is wearing his ring. As a tv watcher, angst is a must, so that part is enjoying this storyline, but as their shipper it’s hard. #TeamJapril #ShondaSaveJapril

16. Alyse says:

No they’re the only one of my three Grey’s couple left! There’s no more Meredith and Derek, no more Mark and Lexie. Japril has to survive.

17. acurat says:

The show has jumped the shark. Nothing lasts on this show. The divorce rate is 100%. Name one couple that left the show happy. Zero. This was predictable. The surprise would be if they stayed together. But Shonda Rhines does not believe in marriage, that is clear here.

18. Pamela says:

Shonda should have never broken up stephanie and jackson, i knew jackson and april would never work.

19. Lane says:

This is a realistic situation after the death of a child. Some couples do not come back from it, some do, but it’s not something that happens right away. I think this is very realistic and it doesn’t mean they won’t find their way back to each other. Or that they will, for that matter.

20. MK says:

Shonda give me this little piece of happiness at least!!

21. I really wish that one couple could make it last. Everyone else on the show has either been divorced, never married, or widowed. Couples go through troubles, but on that show it feels like troubles always lead to divorces.

Plus, I think Jackason & April balance each other out well. They both have points, and I find myself more understanding of Jackson, but I admire April’s determination, in a way. Maybe not entirely agreeable to her actions of trying to save her marriage. Maybe some time apart, while in the same city, would do them some good. Jackson is obviously not over her, by how he reacted in last week’s episode, but he’s just too angry right now. He has to find a peace within himself before they could really give it a go. Arizona was angry for a while after the plane crash, rightfully so obviously, but that just spiraled into a myriad of other things, which ultimately led to her and Callie going their separate ways.

22. Melissa labelle says:

They can work it its called marraige Meridith and Derick worked it out they can

23. Ali says:

I’m afraid to watch this as if April or anyone for that matter harms an animal in any way I’ll have to stop watching and I love this show. As for April and Jackson’s marriage, I say bury it and move on. I’ve always wanted to see April with Owen. Every since Owen went to April’s farm to retrieve her a few seasons ago, I felt they had something and hoped it would be explored. Jackson can get back with the other girl he was initially involved with. I also wish they’d bring Summer Glau’s character back as the nurse from a few seasons back.

24. I hope April and Jackson work things out. They are so cute together.

25. jayverali says:

April & Jackson MUST stay together NO MATTER what!!!!

26. jayverali says:

I’m going to cry if they don’t end up together!!! They are my favorite couple!!! I started off with Alex & Izzie (that was spoiled) then I moved on to Owen & Cristina (that was spoiled) they can’t keep breaking marriages! April & Jackson MUST stay together!!! :(

27. Julie says:

I’m really happy for that, Jackson was a doormat for the selfish April, he deserve much better!J ackson will get his happy ending when he finally will leave his boring wife once and for all.

28. BeeMak says:

Please save this marriage!!!