TV Vampires Best Worst

Top TV Vampires From Buffy, TVD, Moonlight, True Blood and More

Get ready to sink your teeth into 50 years of hedonistic history.

Because we at TVLine have always felt that Halloween should be a month-long affair, we’re spending every Saturday in October saluting our favorite small-screen creatures that go bump in the night — or, in the case of this week’s category, bump-and-grind in the night. That’s right, we’re talking about vampires.

From those stone-cold smolderers from The Vampire Diaries and True Blood to more classic bloodsuckers — including a certain felt-skinned member of the undead community — we rounded up TV’s top 25 fangers for your voting pleasure (arranged in chronological order because knowledge is power).

Browse our gallery of iconic vamps below, then vote for your favorite.

UPDATE (Oct. 9): After more than 30,000 votes, Buffy‘s Spike has emerged the victor with 16 percent. Buffy‘s Angel claimed the No. 2 spot with 11 percent, while True Blood‘s Eric and The Vampire Diaries‘ Damon are next with 8 percent each.

1. herman1959 says:

Since we’re talking 50 TV years, I have to mention Barnabas Collins from Dark Shadows. He used to scare the you-know-what out of me when I was a little kid.

2. Mr. Tran K says:

Nina Dobrev as Katherine is my favorite TV vampire and she’s smokin’ HOT!!

3. I’m not into the “vampire’s are awesome” bandwagon, never saw the attraction, Angel is the only one that I ever liked (I did enjoy Spike in S5 ‘Angel’ though, he was fun too)

4. Riana says:

Eddie’s a werewolf. Grandpa was the vampire

5. Michelle says:

I like my Vampires fiercely Vicious and true to their nature. I’m old school when it comes to my Vamps so Angelus, Spike, Eric, and Season 1 Damon. Honestly TVD ruined Vampires for me, Kevin Williamson come back and fix these vamps

6. Tami says:

NO Barnabas Collins from Dark Shadows Original or Primetime Revamp?

NO Caleb Morley from Port Charles? Seriously?

7. Faythe says:

You are missing Jason Dohring’s Vampire Josef Kostan from Moonlight – that should have been on the list

8. Liss says:

Andy THANK YOU for including lots of female vampires on this list!!!! Usually anytime there’s a best vampires list it’s all dudes and tho I love them too, it still sucks (NPI lol) not to see the women represented. Bonus points for including the criminally under-appreciated Darla who rocked – tho I’ve gotta subtract some points bc Elena should’ve totally made the list too!!!!

Looking fwd to seeing who wins + totally up for more early Halloween fun!!!!

• Lucifer says:

That’s because the majority of “best vampire” lists out there are usually for movies, which tend to lack vampires of the female variety.

• Amanda Pike says:

Innocent Blood and the Hunger had a main female vampire. And Let Me in (The original Let the Right one In was actually a eunuch).

• Liss says:

No the ones I’m talking about include tv vampires, inc ones from shows with plenty of female vamps – the list-makers just don’t usually include them.

9. ykzarb says:

Kyle Schmid’s character Henry Fitzroy from the Blood Ties TV series–really miss it.

10. Ross says:

Re: the poll, Eddie Munster isn’t a vampire. He’s a wolf boy. Grampa is the vampire.

11. None from From Dusk Till Dawn? It’s rigged :P

12. Lucky says:

I have to go with Spike. Not only is he my favorite vampire, he’s my favorite TV character ever. He got an incredible amount of character development on Buffy and Angel, and James Marsters was brilliant in the role.

13. Możesz je zobaczyć w firmie Arbryt drzwi wrocław Z powodzeniem dostosujesz je
    do stylu domu i elewacji.

14. All the Buffy vamps are in a different league to the rest. I voted for Spike.

15. Susan Honig says:

What happened to Nick Knight from Forever Knight?

16. Whovian says:

Where is Barnabas Collins?

17. Linda says:

Dean Winchester was a vamp for one episode… ;) If you have Mick St. John, you need to have Josef as well.

18. Cory says:

While I like the actual characters of Buffy and Angel, that universe has, by far the worst vampires in all of television (except maybe Moonlight). Ugly dog faces when they’re in attack mode, the writers were NEVER clear on what their definition of a soul was, dissolving like the Puttys from Power Rangers… ugh. So, so, lame. I wish Joss would remake those shows and make the vampires, you know, cool.

19. Maryann says:

You left out Nick Knight of Forever Knight, not to mention Janette and Lacroix from the same series. That had such a huge following a few years ago that it rated its own conventions.

20. digitalred93 says:

You left off Josef Kostan from Moonlight (Jason Dohring). He was even better than Mick St. John.

21. Maryann says:

You also left out Nina Dobrev as Elena . I would have voted for her but NOT the role of Katherine, played by the same actrsss.

22. N says:

As soon as I saw Pam’s name….

23. Win says:

Dr. Acula, Scrubs

24. annemarie says:

Damon Salvatore is my favorite Vampire ever !!

25. lrdslvrhnd says:

Almost half of them from Vampire Diaries/Originals? Seriously?
    No Barnabas Collins, no Nick Night (or Lucien LaCroix or Jeanette DuChamps from “Forever Knight), but you have NINE from VD/O?
    Fail, TVLine. Total fail.

• autumnd23 says:

Yep. We didn’t need so many vampires from those two shows when Forever Knight was left off the list. That show was groundbreaking in the genre.

26. Fernanda says:

Eric from True Blood.. and the book 4.. without memory is so hot

27. Bwhit says:

Elijah Mikaelson is my favorite, he’s ruthless when he has to be but is most often noble and kind. Plus Daniel Gillies is awesome in his portrayal of him.

28. mrmcgee says:

No Jessica from True Blood?

29. autumnd23 says:

It’s really kind of weird that there was no mention of Nick from Forever Knight ( Lacroix was pretty epic too)…Then there’s Henry from Blood Ties, Tesla from Sanctuary, Josef and Coraline from Moonlight, Barnabas from Dark Shadows, and Julian from Kindred. Some HUGE ones left out. It’s a little embarrassing since the article mentioned 50 years. I’m sure I could think of some more too if I tried. At least the article mentioned Mick.

30. Tony Nasser says:

No Nicholas Knight or Lucien LaCroix from Forever Knight? Joke of a 50 Years List.

31. niloofar says:

Thank You for including JRM’s Dracula, despite being cancelled I really liked the shows new take on the legend.

32. zed says:

Three all time best
    1. Angel (BtVs)
    2. Spike (BtVs)
    3. Elijah Mikaelson (TVD/TO)

33. E says:

No jessica Hamby from true blood? I’m boycotting u guys. This list has no validity to me.

34. Meriel says:

What about the vamps from Forever Knight? Nick Knight, Janette and Lacroix?? So many other good vampires are missing, as well! Such an incomplete poll! tsk, tsk!

35. Ric says:

Barnabas Collins was the best. Time for a savvy producer like Ryan Murphy to bring him back to TV!!!

36. Joe says:

Is Hillary a vampire, she sucked the life out of President Bill Clinton. She’ll do it to our country, too! :)

Look at the man! :)

37. Homesick says:

Eric Northman: Sheriff, single parent/maker, role model among his species and pain in the ass for every single human being that ever crossed a vampire. Plus, he made Pam (if only because of that he’s my favorite)

38. MaryAnn says:

I am thinking maybe you need to try this again with 50 vampires instead of 25. You left so many favorites off your list that were identified in the comments that the results will hardly be valid.

39. Amanda Pike says:

Every October someone who knows nothing about the genre or is less than thirty years old makes a list like this. No Dark Shadows? No Forever Knight? Nothing at all from before 1997 in fact… Vampires on TV did not start with Buffy. There was also a 1990s Dracula series that was far more respectful to the literary source material than that rubbish on NBC. The 1960s gave us Barnabas Collins on Dark Shadows, who is the archetype basis for most sympathetic vampires. And Forever Knight is a cult classic that Moonlight “Borrowed” from a lot.

• silverpetticoatreview says:

I remember the writers of Moonlight admitting they were paying homage to Forever Knight rather than simply borrowing or copying hence the name of Mick! Every show is influenced from something. :) Though Moonlight was also influenced by the 80s Beauty and the Beast, film noir and classic gothic literature like Jane Eyre. I miss that show! Though I also love Forever Knight, of course. No doubt just about every vampire show that came after it was influenced.

40. Kyle Michaels says:

Benny from Supernatural. And the Alpha vamp!!

41. Amanda Pike says:

No Dark Shadows (1960s or 1990s), no Forever Knight (1989 until 1996), no Kindred the Embraced (Based on Vampire The Masquerade), no The Gates (2010), no Dracula: The Series (1990s version, not the God-awful NBC one). No Port Charles (2000s), No Munsters… Whoever wrote this list doesn’t seem to realize TV vampires existed before Buffy…

42. Akula says:

No Nick Knight? No Barnabas Collins? No mention of any shows before the 90s? I voted for Nick Knight.

43. Red Snapper says:

Spike will always be my number 1.

44. silverpetticoatreview says:

Mick is definitely my favorite and then Mitchell from Being Human. :) I would also include Tesla from Sanctuary, Nick Knight from Forever Knight, Henry Fitzroy from Blood Ties, Josef and Coraline from Moonlight, Julian from Kindred and a few more missing from the list! Thanks for the fun article.

45. Truefan says:

Besides Eric Northman, I really liked Spike in Buffy,too.

46. Imzadi says:

Louis Jourdan played a handsome, sexy Dracula on television. And I preferred Jason Dohring’s sexy Josef on Moonlight!

47. Jess says:

Angel kicked butt as a vampire and i’m a big David Boreanaz fan. Also loved Spike and Klaus. Those boys knew how to play vampires. Plus they are all smoking hot.

48. CindyC says:

Lacroix from Forever Knight was one of the creepiest vamps ever. And why wasn’t Barnabas Collins on your list?

49. Spike will always be my #1 Bad Boy vampire, followed by Damon as my #2 Bad Boy vampire. I also like Klaus. I just love those bad boy vamps with the smart ass remarks & still have good hearts but are afraid to show it. These 3 will always be my favorite vampires.

50. Kris says:

Oh man! What a toughie, but I’m glad someone mentioned Barnabas Collins from Dark Shadows….CBS, do something ‘smart’ for a change and bring BACK Moonlight!!!

• silverpetticoatreview says:

They should do a TV movie (and explain that they’ve aged by repeatedly using the temporary cure)! And then perhaps introduce a spin-off in the same universe with new characters. As much as I would love and want the original cast full time, it doesn’t seem likely as most of them have moved on to other projects.