Chasing Life Leo Funeral

Chasing Life Cancelled After 2 Seasons

ABC Family has delivered the grimmest prognosis of all to Chasing Life, canceling the drama after just two seasons, TVLine has confirmed.

The series, about a 24-year-old reporter (Italia Ricci) who discovers she has cancer, premiered in June 2014 to much critical praise. The second season finale — now a series finale — aired earlier this week, sending April to Italy for some much-needed reflection after receiving more bad news from her doctors.

In the episode’s final moments, April revealed that she was considering staying in Italy to live out her remaining days.

TVLine’s Cable Renewal Scorecard has been updated to reflect the loss of Chasing Life.

What are your thoughts on the show’s cancellation? How do you wish April’s story had ended? Drop a comment with your reactions below.

1. Beansie says:

Sigh. So sad but unfortunately not surprising. This season was so grim.

• Cathy says:

It’s a show about cancer so it’s going to be sad and grin.

• MyFairLady says:

Not true, remember the Big C was not this grim..this season on CL was way too depressing..

• Daniel says:

The Big C was a dramedy. It was also a half hour. When Big C was billed with Weeds, of course it’s gonna be funny. At least it got a final miniseries season 4. Chasing Life didn’t even get that. ;(

• Beansie says:

The first season had such bright spots in it and that’s what I enjoyed about the show, that her diagnosis was leading her to some positive experiences that she would have never been exposed to had she not gotten sick. That being said, this season in comparison was constantly and, dare I say, *overly* grim and sad. I felt like I was watching April just get sucker punched over and over again for the last half of the season :(

• William A. Sligh Jr. says:

The traumatic and life changing moments along with all the grim moments are what more of us need to have understanding and compassion foe those suffering from fatal diagnosis’ not the happily ever after endings which are not true to life.

• Cassie says:

Not at all. It was inspiring and makes you think about how lucky you are. It is also a big help to people who know someone with cancer or someone who has died from cancer because it gives you an entirely new outlook on life. It is also about the family who has to be there for that person and their lives and feelings outside of cancer. It gave me a whole new perspective and coming from me who has lost an immense amount of people due to cancer this show meant a lot

• Cindy says:

I am still thinking about your comment…as the first comment left on this subject I wondered if you are even a fan of the show? Have you watched every episode? A death-centric show as well done as this one rarely comes along, and yes it’s sad and is grim in nature but that’s LIFE in general! Within all the doom, gloom, and death there was a lightness about the core of the show. They did not dwell on the big “C”, instead they embraced it and made an awesome true-to-life story that thousands can relate to. I laughed just as much (and maybe more) as I teared up. We tuned in because we cared about these characters, period. So I felt compelled to comment on your comment. We all have our opinions, and I am not trying to be mean, or hurtful to you, but my question to you is: What did you expect from this show?

• DEBBIE says:

TOTALLY AGREE WITH CINDY’S COMMENTS 110%….MY FRIENDS AND I ARE EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED ABOUT THE CANCELLATION

• Colleen says:

Yes .Me too. Absolutely guttered. Why. I ask. Stop a serious mid stream . Such a waste of many hrs of my life watching the first two serious with no ending.

2. Two of my favorites cancelled – Chasing Life and Graceland. But they renew Zoo?

3. nickspace says:

Kind of surprised by this news, as I was under the impression this show had a pretty loyal fanbase. I suppose with the newly announced programs coming to ABCF and the fact that if The Fosters was cancelled fans would stage a riot, this was their only option.

• Melissa says:

ugh I misread your post at first and thought you said the Fosters was also lol. I am growing weary though of getting so invested in their shows that they build up a fan base for and then just dump for the new “cool” show, some of which just are dumb to me :( I’m really going to miss Chasing Life. I figured with the topic, there might not be much life left for the show (and with the “season” finale, I questioned if there was for April), but I was hopeful there would be at least one more season!

• Rich says:

Gave up on ABC Family after State of Grace, Kyle XY, The Middleman, and 10 Things I Hate About You all got cancelled.
        Came back for Bunheads, only for that to be undeservedly Cancelled.
        So now I’m sort of watching Stitchers (which is guilty pleasure nonsense) and Young & Hungry which is actually an amusing sitcom with some attractive and talented ladies.
        But for me the network overall is more hit that miss.

• Rachel says:

Me too. I thought they would at least end the show with a 3rd season, what with Beth being pregnant and April having her last days.

4. wrstlgirl says:

I’m happy to know that April is living the rest of her days in Italy with Dom :-)

5. Shari says:

Another show probably with a poor ending leaving you hanging FOREVER!

6. Becky says:

The loyal viewers deserved a series finale! Even a final movie would be enough!

• brandydanforth81 says:

Other than the cliffhangers with Brenna/Greer/Finn & cops showing up for George,everything else was wrapped up-April decided to die with dignity,Beth decided about the baby.

• Mirelle says:

The relationship between Dom and April was still left up in the air. He asked her where they stood and she replied with go with us. We all knew they liked each other but now what? We he return to the U.S. Or stay with April…would she actually stay in Italy?

• Unfortunately, loyals viewers of a hardly-watched, two-season show do not deserve a series finale. That’s just not the way it works. It sucks but…

7. S says:

Wow, this surprises me so much! I wasn’t a regular viewer, but hard not to love the overall story atcs…and anything with Scott Michael Foster.

• luvtheheaven says:

Well they killed if Scott Michael Foster’s character so I think a significant chunk of viewers may have been lost.

• Rebecca says:

I’m one of them.

• randa says:

The killed him off because he chose a different role in another show.

• Lori says:

I’m one of them too. I quit watching after “Leo” was killed off.

• Nancy says:

Actually according to the EP, the ratings went back up after his death. So his leaving the show was not the problem. The problem is that ABC FAMILY(yeah that name does not jive with the crap they are adding to their network) kept messing with the show until it got cancelled which is what they wanted. God forbid they piss off the Gay community!

• Anna says:

I never understand when people say there is a disparity between the network’s name and their programming. It is a family network. There are tons of shows that are either geared towards teens/young adults or are perfect shows for the family to watch. I love watching The Fosters and Switched at Birth with my nieces. And most of the shows on right now are literally about families (or as they say, “A new kind of family”) – the two aforementioned, Baby Daddy, Mel and Joey, Chasing Life, etc.

8. Lysh says:

I didn’t watch this show but I meant to binge it. This show is always all over my Twitter feed and it seemed popular, so this is surprising.

9. Rachel Maurer says:

noooooooo! I watched the first season on netflix over the summer when there wasn’t much on and I got hooked. I’ve been faithfully watching each week.

10. KC says:

not surprising. The show was way too depressing to be on TV. No one wants to see subject matter like this

• steven says:

Showtime had a show like this too. The Big C.

• A fan of TV says:

Which wasn’t that well watched, either, if I recall. For a Showtime series it seems like it didn’t have a long run, either…

• Danyal says:

As a cancer fighter in my mid-twenties, I feel like subject matter such as this SHOULD be on tv to raise awareness. You may not want to see it, but for those of us who live it, it’s important.

• felicia says:

I agree with you 100%

• misery chick says:

I hope you are and remain healthy and strong!

• Stacey says:

Totally agree with your statement

• Melissa says:

Even as someone who fortunately hasn’t had it, it was inspiring and informative to me to watch April go through it and be so strong and know what some go through. I can’t say I’d ever be so brave in the same situation, but I definitely would try to use the show as how I would want to try handling it.

I wish you luck in your fight!

• andres vega says:

U stay strong. And yeah the show was amazing in every way. I actually loved all about this show

• lori says:

As a cancer patient my self ,it was a good show,it had some real life issues,as with cancer you never know your faith.but you never give up,and cancer doesn’t choose who.so the show was right on.season finale of season 2,was good ,and when they ended it left u assuming she was living out her final days in Italy,I hope they don’t end foster next.That is a great show for teens all walks of life…

11. Sandy says:

I have watched the show from the beginning, and now we don’t have a closure. Thanks ABC family!

• Mary S says:

I never watched the show, never even heard of it, but, if the article is correct about her decision to move to Italy to live there for the rest of her life, isn’t that kind of like “riding off into the sunset” – to find a cure and live happily ever after? If I had been a fan, that’s the way I would think of it…

• johnhelvete says:

The ending was the opposite of “live happily ever after”.

• A fan of TV says:

No, a cure was not on the table. Italy was her last stop, so to speak, as the docs had told her the cancer was spreading and treatments weren’t working. Italy was the End.

• luvtheheaven says:

Yeah she was basically thinking she might die tomorrow and she’d made prace with that.

• wrstlgirl says:

She was never going to be “cured” but for me her decision to forgo anymore trials/treatments and stay in Italy was an ending. There are other stories with her family that remained open but those were pretty insignificant as far as I was concerned.

• But there are still too many loose ends! We;ll never know what happened with George and the police, or if he and Sara ever got together! Or what happened with Brenna and Finn/Greer!

12. Bill Moore says:

Too bad. Another quality program bites the dust. Someday the networks will get it right.

13. aph1976 says:

I’m disappointed by the news but at least the show had sort of a closure because April found a place to be happy in her final days.

14. Mama says:

At least she’ll end up with Leo.

15. Georgia says:

LOVED this show! However, while watching the finale I felt this was really the final episode. I wish there was going to be another season, but I think the show ended okay. Sad, of course, but April’s was at peace.

• luvtheheaven says:

I agree. I just wish Brenna had a better final scene with Finn and they didn’t leave George’s story (and George/Sara) on a cliffhanger. I liked how they ended April’s and even Beth’s plots, though.

16. Grace Kelly says:

Just another example of GREAT shows getting cancelled…….

• Chasing Life says:

Chasing Life is a great show. I can’t believe it has been cancelled. This show means something to mean cause I had to deal with cancer in my family as well. Please reconsider this.

17. Christina Reynolds says:

So sad. Several loose ends not tied up.

18. johnhelvete says:

I really liked the show, but the finale had 486,000 live viewers. Cant really blame ABC Family for cancelling the show, and if you dont like the ending, where is the blame for the writers?

• Do DVR numbers mean anything? I usually watch it later on that evening or Tuesday morning. I am afraid that my limited schedule is killing my favorite shows.

• brandydanforth81 says:

Not unless you’re a Neilson viewer that watches commercials

• Anna says:

It’s pretty idiotic to continue to evaluate viewership this way – especially shows marketed towards younger viewers. Every year, less and less people are watching television shows live, especially viewers under the age of 35. It’s the reason why Hulu is making so much money that they are bankrolling all of their own programming now. I literally do not know a single person around my age (mid-twenties) that watches anything live but sports. The internet is changing the way people watch television.

19. CJ says:

I am so crushed to hear this. Really would’ve loved to have a third chapter in April’s journey.

20. Denise Rambo says:

Left hanging … once again! The least they can do is put out a story letting us know how things would have turned out if they’d gotten a chance to wrap things up.

21. Steph says:

So sad, loved this show!
    But I thought this was a mid season finale.

22. Bella says:

This is a huge mistake. This was probably the most well acted and critically acclaimed show that ABC Family.has ever created….how on earth are they justifying this decision??

• dys says:

Unfortunately the quality of a show isn’t usually enough to help it last if the quantity of viewers is too low. If enough people don’t watch, advertisers don’t pay, and it is their money that allows networks to air the shows in the first place. Otherwise networks would be spending and losing money just to be nice, which isn’t how businesses work.

• Wendy says:

Low ratings, if you don’t have the viewers, you do not get renewed. It’s simple!

• Nancy says:

Really? because there is another show on the same network with WORSE ratings then this and they got renewed! If the ratings were low? It was the networks fault for continually messing with the show.

• brandydanforth81 says:

Switched at Birth & Fosters are pretty critically acclaimed too.Theyre justifying it by the fact that hardly anyone was watching by the second half of season through s2.

23. now she needs to get a job on arrow or flash to have 3/4 of the Amell family takeover of the DC TV Universe just need to find something for cassandra to do

24. Tammy says:

I loved this show. So sad. :(

25. blankmixtape says:

I’m okay with this, I was disappointed with some of the stuff that happened this season and wasn’t really looking forward to a third season anyway.

• Nicole says:

I agree completely. While i really loved the show they shot themselves in the foot with some of the decisions they made this season. This was a really terrific show, and they all should be so proud of the story they told. The ending was perfect for me, now she and Leo can be together. And she didnt give up, she tried and fought and she just didnt win. And unfortunately as sad as it is that happens.

• smartysenior says:

I think the arc of this show was perfection and it needed to end just when it did. Too many times they drag it out past when the show is any good. She fought cancer and lost, now she’s going to have the remainder of her life without chemo and with the two people she loves. Having the cops show up was a bummer but other than that I think it was a lovely, well written two season story. I am also enjoying some of these one season shows because they are tightly written, tell the story and end. This reminds me of that. I was happy to go on this journey and happy to have put it down like a good book at the end.

26. Stacy says:

And yet again ABC Family ends another show way too soon, I’m so disappointed! I have watched the show faithfully from the beginning and I thought it was a well written show that had good actors. I’m not sure I want to start watching anymore shows on ABC Family because none of them seem to have any longevity!

27. Scotty2Hotty says:

I really started to enjoy Chasing Life. I’ll miss the Carvers. :-(

28. Mary S says:

I’ve never heard of the show…was it in a bad time slot?

• Melissa says:

It’s been right after Switched at Birth so I wouldn’t say so. It was sooo good. Very inspiring and pretty real (from what it seemed) look at the struggles of a young woman with cancer. It wasn’t a show that just showed oh yeah that character has cancer, but really went into some of the details of the struggles that people battling cancer have and the treatments.

• brandydanforth81 says:

No.The first half of s1 it had abcfamilys highest rated show as its leadin and the second half of s1&s2 had stable rated more tonaly computable Fosters & Switched at Birth as its leadin to help it after it underperformed after PLL

• Nancy says:

The show was cancelled because of ABC not the fans. They changed the night, the time and then took off the second airing of the show. Season one was doing great and I don’t know why they felt the need to mess with it.

29. Ann says:

I really liked this show and I’m sad to see it end especially without a finale. The subject matter was depressing at times but there was a mixture of light moments as well. They had a great cast and all the storylines were interesting. I think they made a mistake not renewing it.

30. iHeart says:

well this is disappointing news, my mom loved this show

31. JRS831 says:

I’m disappointed but not surprised. I hadn’t seen the series on which it was based, but everything pointed to the fact that April had to die in the end, so whether you were “team Leo” or “Team Dominic” she wasn’t going to end up with either one. Outside from the April storyline, the rest of the show was just going downhill. Loved the actors and will follow them wherever they happen to land.

32. Alyse says:

I’m not surprised. I know a lot of people dropped it when Leo died. That and putting back with Dominic, a character many of the fans don’t like her with, didn’t help.

• Pat Zumba says:

I disagree. Dominic is much more likeable I don’t think they lost viewers on Leo’s account

• breygi says:

You have have liked Dominic better, but if you put opinion and bias aside, the ratings dropped pretty significantly since Leo’s death. That’s just a fact (from 772,000 people during his funeral episode/final scenes to 486,000 during the finale). I would say you are in the minority in your preference.

33. MariaD says:

And this is why shows should end seasons with some closure. Why not give closure to the dad book arc? And why not give Brenna some kind of a happy something!? And where was cool Grandma? Why bring back Uncle George if all he did was mope all the time? I hate it when networks cancel shows and don’t give them time to at least give their storylines some closure.

34. Izzy says:

I’m going to stop watching series on ABC Family. I get into a show and this happens all to often. The network could at least make an effort to put some issues to bed instead of leaving dedicated viewers hanging. It’s getting old and not worth the time just to be disappointed.

35. Jared says:

ABCFamily cancels Chasing Life yet renews Stitchers?!?..go figure.

36. fiberlicious says:

“I’m going off to die” is a pretty good hint that the end is….the end.

37. Lydia says:

I am so heartbroken. I loved this show soooooo much!

38. Please don’t cancel that show! That show is so inspirational!

39. Mika says:

I loved this show and sad to see it go, but the last episode had closure for me.

40. Serinae says:

This makes me sad!! I love this show!! I hope it somehow returns

41. melissa says:

i am so heart broken. how dare they bring such an awesome show and just cancel it.. they didnt even allow us viewers a season finale. they left that season as “fall finale”. I am so upset!@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

42. Michelle says:

What?! Why?!?? Why?!?! Why?!?? Y’all can’t do this. That show was so good, it made me feel so many emotions, one second I was so happy then Next thing you know I’m crying the. Happy again. OMG so many feels. Why is this bein canceled?

43. Amber says:

Please keep chasing life going. This is one of my favorite shoes on tv right now. I had a best friend that had the same cancer she has and he passed away after a long long fight. I enjoy watching this show makes me fee close to him again please please don’t cancel this show it’s a show that relates to real life and a lot of people an relate to it.

44. Chelsea shaw says:

No you can’t cancel the show chasing life please no this is the only thing I look forward to on Monday night.

45. Tyra says:

That doesn’t surprise me…. 1st it was The Lying Game, now Chasing Life, but please by All means let’s keep The Fosters…. I’m so done with ABC….

• brandydanforth81 says:

Fosters has better ratngs than Chasing Life is critically acclaimed acclaimed and if it gets a full fourth season will be close to syndication.Fosters is also culturally/socially relevant right now with gay marriage bring legal and debate sabot gay rights.

• Nancy says:

The Fosters is morally wrong. I’m sorry. And it’s turned into a giant sex fest. Those who want to try and save Chasing Life need to email abcfamily and sign the petitions going around We can save this show. It has been done before.

• Stacy says:

Wait are you serious?! How is the petition getting around right now? This is how I feel: I will accept the cancelation of this show but not without fighting for bringing it back in some type of way. This is getting ridiculous that TV networks think they can just cancel shows in the middle of the season without giving fans some type of closure. Yeah it is their network but sometimes it isn’t always about money but giving people the chnce to experience something great out of the kindness of their own hearts. This show has changed and inspired lives by showing us how real things like this are and how we can take things for granted. Fans of this show and others who would like to join let’s stand together to get this show back into our hands!

• Anna says:

They’re keeping the Fosters because not only is it a quality, well written show, but it also has much higher ratings.

46. rachel says:

I loved this show but after leo left I knew it wouldnt last ill miss it

47. Robyn says:

No. This was one of my favorite shows. I watched every episode.

48. Shannon says:

Why was Chasing Life canceled? I loved that show!

49. Maegan says:

Chasing life is the best new series in a long time. Story line never got old and boring, always stayed fresh. First show to make cry and actually laugh out loud in years. I love this show and seriously can’t believe it’s been canceled. Very upset right now.