Scandal Recap

Scandal Recap: Say 'Yes' to the Mess

Through four-plus wild and wacky, red wine-soaked seasons of Scandal, Olivia and Fitz have somehow managed to keep their on-again, off-again love affair (mostly) tucked away from the public. But after last week’s spine-tingling ender – Olitz dramatically outed (naughty pics and all!) by the self-righteous Sally Langston on her TV show – the ABC juggernaut has deliciously moved into uncharted territory. Let’s recap how it all played out this week:

HIDE AND SEEK | Is it any real surprise that just as things start percolating in D.C., Olivia immediately makes a mad dash for the exit (or should I say tunnel), barking out marching orders to poor Fitz (“Don’t call me again! Wait for me, I’ll call you.”) as she scurries out of town? When Olitz heats up, Olivia reacts by doing what she does best: Get back to work.

CASE CLOSED | The ho-hum case of the week involves a wealthy mega-developer and real estate tycoon who has apparently been murdered by his son Gavin, who’s gone missing. Cue Olivia, who goes on the hunt to track him down. “Disguised” in only a hat, Olivia locates Gavin, who totally denies his guilt, blaming his stepmother, who he says was having an affair. Turns out, Gavin was getting cut out of his dad’s will, and was forging checks in daddy’s name. Dude, you’re so busted! Big Question: Did the sight of Olivia and Jake spooning while hiding out in the seedy hotel, baring their souls to each other, raise anyone’s alarm bells?

SORRY SEEMS TO BE THE HARDEST WORD | It doesn’t take long for Mellie to show up at the White House looking for an apology from Fitz. After a diss aimed at Olivia — “She’s not just a mistress now, she’s America’s mistress” — Mellie offers to fix the whole mess by denying Sally’s story and affirming the health of their marriage. Fitz is having none of it though and orders her to leave.

CHILD’S PLAY | Meanwhile, Abby and Elizabeth want to nip the Olitz outing in the bud, and get Fitz to make a statement to the press, sans the missing Olivia. No go, ladies! Once again, Abby is thrown to the press-room wolves, prompting Cyrus (we all knew Cyrus couldn’t resist getting his fingers into this mess, right?) to offer this advice on handling Fitz: “Be the adult, he’ll become the child. That’s the secret of the Oval Office.” Emboldened, Abby enraged Fitz (and Elizabeth) by telling the press Mellie still resides in the White House. Later, we find out what we already knew: Cyrus is tutoring Abby to destroy Elizabeth and Mellie.

ABBY MAKES HER MOVE | With photos of Jake and Olivia hitting the news (terrible disguise, that hat), Abby goes in for the kill, telling Fitz that Olivia can’t handle the scrutiny of their relationship. That prompts Fitz to say the magic words, “I apologize” and ask Mellie to come home. Meanwhile, Abby confronts Elizabeth, who fesses up to being the culprit who leaded the photos. “What’s your move, am I your bitch now?” she asks. But Abby says she just wanted respect, and equality. Way to take the high-road, girl!

IN CONCLUSION | Huck and Quinn admit they’re both damaged during a tender heart-to-heart and fence-mending. Meanwhile, Fitz finally calls Olivia and tells her he’s going to deny Sally’s story and bring Mellie back to the White House. “I’m not going to let you throw your whole life away for me,” he says. “I love you too much for that.” Olivia tearfully hangs up and it looks like we’re right back to where we started with Olitz. But back in D.C., Olivia gets mobbed by the media, who ask her point-blank if she’s the president’s mistress. She pauses, before delivering the game-changing answer: “Yes.”

Now it’s your turn. What did you think of tonight’s episode? Is Scandal on the right track this season? Grade tonight’s episode in the poll below and then elaborate in the comments!

1. Alan says:

2. Cheyenne says:

Wow… I was about to write off tonight as a ho-hum-dinger, but trust Shonda to drop a 50-megaton bomb at the last second… sure wasn’t expecting that one… you go, Liv, with your bad self… /jawfloor
    And Abby, you really handled that Lizzie bitch… *applause*

• Uyai says:

Cheyenne! My God, I actually jumped out of the chair and knocked my glass over. Jesus I had to rewind because I was certain I heard wrong. This season will definitely be good. Shonda got me, got all of us.

• herman1959 says:

Ditto, I was feeling like I had see it all before UNTIL the last word. OK, Shonda’s still got it; let’s see what she does with it next week.

3. Stacie says:

To answer your question – yes alarm bells were raised by the spooning. Although I knew, in the final seconds of her walk through the paparazzi, she was going to say “yes.” Otherwise, this “bold” season 5 would’ve played out like the other 4.

4. MiaB says:

When they said, “At last,” they really meant it. Olitz!

5. CK2 says:

While the case of the week was a bit weak, I love that they finally dropped the bombshell.

• TrudiV says:

It was a good idea to make the case of this week weak. The most important thing was the President’s mistress ARC.

• CK2 says:

Why include a case of the week then? Scandal has gone without it multiple times when they’ve had more important arcs. If you are going to divert valuable screen time as they did with this case, make it meaningful. Olivia going on the run to figure out what to do could/should have been it’s on separate thing.

• TrudiV says:

I agree with you. All I’m saying is that if a case of the week had to be included, it had to be a weak case so as not to overshadow the President’s mistress storyline.

• Marcie says:

They needed a reason to get Olivia out of town so Fitz could dither. Personally, I’d rather she ran with Jake to a nicer hotel. Can’t stand Fitz.

• Ella Jasper says:

Fitz always dithers. Same old story, Mellie in, Mellie out, Mellie in. I like Olivia with Jake too. He actually acts like he loves her and doesn’t have a problem making up his mind. Who runs the country while Fitz is pondering over Mellie?

• fiberlicious says:

FINALLY – someone agrees with me!

• Carol says:

The case of the week was there to give Jake something to do. He really has no purpose on the show so they have to force his presence. Shonda just refuses to get rid of Scot Foley. Any time the show focuses on him, we tend to get a boring episode.

Olivia could have driven to her house in Vermont to hide out and think through the situation.

• Aly Lady says:

It is so obvious at this point the writers are fumbling with what to do with the character Jake. He is just sitting around doing nothing to help cure Huck which of course he doesn’t. He then jumps on the gladiator role tagging along with Liv on a case when it could have Liv alone to sort out her problems. He’s suddenly Liv’s therapist here to help her be with Fitz.

• Cheyenne says:

He’s probably signed on for X number of episodes this season but Shonda doesn’t seem to know what to do with him.

• herman1959 says:

Exactly, remember his big announcement that he was “out” at the end of last season? Now he’s back…whiplash!

• Darcel says:

I agree 100%

• herman1959 says:

Fitz sold the Vermont house when things didn’t work out the last time.

• fiberlicious says:

Did they hurt her?

(A bombshell is a buxom blonde. One drops a BOMB.)

6. Brian says:

Thank god for that ending. For a split second, I thought the show was back to being safe and boring. I really want to see Olivia finally own the fact that she’s with Fitz. Makes for good drama.

7. Kaylee says:

I forgot how much of a Jake and Olivia fan I was until tonight’s sweet scene at the hotel. Such a huge fan.

• A says:

I don’t know how anyone could choose Fitz when Jake is around. This really has nothing to do with the characters. I’m just saying that Scott Foley is really hot.

• B says:

He’s super hot but the chemistry between Olivia and Fitz is undeniable. I don’t know how she could ever choose another man after being in a relationship that hot.

• TrudiV says:

IF for no other reason than- FITZ HAS A JOB AND HE DOES NOT LOOK LIKE HE HAS NOT SHOWERED FOR A MONTH OF SUNDAYS.

FITZ HAS A JOB

FITZ HAS A JOB

I will not even bother adding Fitz’ sexiness

FITZ has a job, damnit!

8. TrudiV says:

I’m not quite sure what to think about this episode. For a moment there I thought we were back to that stupid on again off again OLITZ mess.

The saving grace of the episode was Olivia’s yes at the end. The rest of the episode felt like not this BS again…

9. TrudiV says:

Abby you let me down. The only person thus far who is morally upstanding is Susan. Good speech Susan, good speech. You will make an excellent president.

10. Cheyenne says:

That was the mother of all WTFs… Essentially, Olivia just told the press bring it on, mother-effers… she didn’t just Pope the president, she Poped everybody. No turning back now.

• TrudiV says:

Time she put on her big girl drawers and get da hell on with it! I wonder if she said yes before or after or during Fitz and Mellie’s statement to the press

• Cheyenne says:

Doesn’t matter when she did it, it’s on now. Basically she just spat in Sally’s face and said okay bitch, your move.

• TrudiV says:

It does matter. Think of the optics. If the President just went in front of the American people to claim he’s not having an affair with Mellie by his side and then Olivia goes and says that she is his mistress after his speech – then it makes everything worse. It better be before he and Mellie made the press conference.

• Cheyenne says:

Maybe the press got both at the same time and that’s why Abby looks so pissed off in the promo for next week. Poor Abby doesn’t know whether she’s coming or going.

• D.W. says:

I think she did it before if you look at the promo for next week Mellie’s looks like WTF just happened? Everyone got Poped and I loved every bit of it

• Cheyenne says:

@DW: I just saw the promo. Mellie looks like she just shat a brick. I wonder how Fitz reacted? They didn’t show that. Fun times!

• mme says:

I was expecting because of the title but it still shocked me.

11. Darcel says:

Most of this episode was boring. I was beginning to get mad when Olivia was on the bed with Jake. I said to myself, if they have sex, I’m done with Scandal for good. I have to say, I thought it was going to be a repeat of past seasons where Olivia says No that she is not having an affair with the president. Was happy that she said yes this time. Wonder how this will play out.

12. Allison says:

My favorite thing about all of this is the end of the episode when Olivia answers in the affirmative about being the president’s mistress and meanwhile there is the president and his wife about to denounce the rumors! I love it! Also it was nice to see Scott Foley for longer than two seconds. I still see him as Teddy’s husband on Grey’s Anatomy and I liked that character and somehow tonight he reminded me of that. But as always, Cyrus livened up the show for me! Jeff Perry’s facial expressions always crack me up and I know he is not trying to be funny, but his face just seems to say “you can’t be this big of an idiot I know.” The fact that he called Fitz a child was so adequately stated. I am never bored by Jeff Perry. The way Abby handled Lizzie Bear was priceless. No blackmail or anything of the sort. All she wanted was to be treated as an equal to be treated with respect. Way to go, Abby! I am glad Quinn finally realized that what she hated about Huck was what she hated about herself. They are both far from normal and I am glad Huck has Quinn again and vice versa. I might have been the only one expecting Papa Pope to show up and mock Olivia for the mess she found herself in, but that was a no. I kept thinking any minute now his face will be in the crowd or Olivia will get a call, but thankfully that did not happen, although I don’t think we have seen the last of Papa Pope. I love that Mellie has gotten her fire back in next weeks promo! I have always liked Mellie when she was angry and vindictive and boy will her crazy be in full bloom next week! I will sit back and enjoy the fireworks!

13. Lovely says:

Shonda Rhimes is punking everyone. LMAO at anyone who actually thought Fitz and Liv would actually be together for good this time. It’s nice to know I can not watch this show for an entire season (season 4) and come back and the story hasn’t progressed one bit. They just keep going in circles and rehashing the same old tired love story. And of course she’s back in the arms of Jake… So that tired love triangle is still going on as well. And didn’t they already have Liv confronted by the press when she was outed as Fitz mistress before. TIRED. LAME. PREDICTABLE.

• TrudiV says:

You have completely missed all the nuances of the show.

• Cheyenne says:

And you’ll be back every Thursday night from now on with your tired, lame and predictable whining. Did you even watch the show? She’s not back with Jake. Jake ended it last season. You should have stayed gone.

• Bigdede says:

Do you just go to different sites bashing any other with an opinion about Scandal that’s different from yours? Grow up

• niloofar says:

Thank you, I’ve seen Cheyenne’s comments on vulture & ew and a few blogs.Fitz is he worst president because both terms he didn’t win on his own merits, he won by his wife and mistress rigging the first election & sympathy from the death of his son and every decision he makes is based on Olivia. Susan was right he is not fit for the job.

• Cheyenne says:

Not being elected on his own merits doesn’t make him the “worst president”. You can’t hold him responsible for Defiance when he didn’t even know what they were up to, nor can you hold him responsible for Rowan killing his son.

• niloofar22 says:

OK, He is the best. Are You happy?

• Lovely says:

Cheyenne has an unhealthy obsession with Scandal. Her comments are irrational and hostile. She’s not worth a response, I just ignore her.

But again I didn’t watch season 4 at all and I come back and it’s the same thing. Fitz and Olivia going back and forth, Fitz going back to Mellie, Olivia is outted as Fitz’ mistress to the press… I’m sorry but we’ve seen all of this before. No progression in the storyline whatsoever. Sorry, just my opinion 😉

• Cheyenne says:

So you return after a year to make the same lame-ass complaints you made the year before last? What’s your point? Do you really think anybody gives a damn?

• Cheyenne says:

How about you take your own advice? Do you just go to different sites whining about how Fitz is the “worst president”? If you hate him so much, why do you waste your time watching the show? Try reading a good book for once.

• Lovely says:

Another thing. Last season ended with Fitz kicking Mellie out of the WH and everyone was so excited… Then what happens last night? He calls Mellie and apologizes like he always does and Mellie is right back in the WH LMAO. How many times has Fitz crawled back to Mellie? Too many to count. Again, this show just keeps doing the same thing over and over again. How boring.

• Jay says:

you stupid?he was doing what he thought Olivia wanted and she just proved she just wantsto be with himThis was different from the BS we got last season

• Bigdede says:

Yeah last time Fitz leaked that Olivia was his mistress. So now the press will know they lied the first time. Everyone is all about Olitz but what about Olivia’s business. She is this powerful Washington person who now will be known as the president mistress. Of course they’re not going to be together. Olivia will retreat and regret saying that because although she loves Fitz she loves herself more and she is not willing to give up everything she worked for Fitz. That has been a running theme.

14. Red Snapper says:

I was thinking it was an okay episode until the end. I was reminded how much of a Jake fan I was though, I’ll always root for him. I figured it was Elizabeth who leaked the photos. I’m glad Red has one over on her now. That should be interesting. Wish it was next Thursday already.

15. DD says:

yuck, I hope they both end up in jail

16. Coal says:

Now that was fun. That’s how you use your cast properly EVERYONE contributed to the episode, the original cast did well and Liz and Susan had their moments. This is probably my favourite episode since early season 2. I’m not a Fitz fan (the character), however excellent job Tony on the directing.

17. niloofar says:

Fitz is the worst president in the history of television.

Meaningless blanket statement.

• Bigdede says:

He is the worst president. He whines like a child, he can’t make simple decisions and he’s not strong enough to stand up to anyone. This is Fitz last term. There was no reason for him to call Mellie apologizing. He’s going to be out of office in like a year. Him and Olivia came up with a plan like 2 seasons ago on how to maneuver everything so they could be together. There was no reason to back track

• TrudiV says:

I agree that his calling Mellie to apologize is stupid and there was no reason to do so. The only thing that I can think of is that he did it to get the heat off of Olivia. Remember what happened last when he leaked her name? Shonda should have written this better. Sometime she just writes crap.

This is why this episode almost fell flat. Except for the ending, the OLITZ/Mellie dynamic as repeated last night has been done to death. It is tired and needs to be retired. It is trite and boring now.

• Cheyenne says:

Well, get set for more of the same dynamic because Mellie is ranting that she’s going to fix Olivia. I can’t wait to see the look on her face when she finds out Olivia copped to the affair. She must feel like Olivia publicly slapped her in the face. I just hope it doesn’t degenerate into a brawl in the Oval Office, but with Mellie you never know. Her slapping Fitz in his office and screaming at him in front of a bunch of people was the low point of the entire series. IMO. No First Lady, however deranged, would ever behave Ike that.

• TrudiV says:

I meant the dynamic of Fitz and Olivia being on and off and Fitz crawling back to Mellie after kicking her out. This is tired and well past its expiration date. No one is interested in seeing that crap any more.
            The new dynamic of Mellie being on the outs and Olivia and Fitz having a united front against everyone out to destroy them will be a welcome change and could be some good TV – if Shonda doesn’t mess it up.

But whatever happens here on out;
            No more crawling back to Mellie
            No more on again off again OLITZ

18. Tim says:

Who’s the one who will suffer most from Olivia’s ‘yes’ next week? Mellie, Elizabeth, Cyrus, Sally Langston, or someone else?

• Cheyenne says:

Not sure how Cyrus will react. Sally will be delighted and Mellie will be devastated. Fitz will probably be ecstatic once he recovers from the shock. Abby will go bananas trying to deal with the fallout from the media.

19. Leah says:

I got to say didn’t see that coming. Happy it finally did. Don’t like seeing her with Jake he annoys me

20. JakeForever says:

Cyrus nailed it calling Fitz a child because that’s exactly what he is and sadly Olivia doesn’t come off much better with her decisions in the love department. And it still irritates me to no end that Fitz, the man who put his two hands around one of his best friend’s neck and choked the life out of her has the nerve to be so horribly judgmental about Mellie. Another childish behavior …. presidents who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones. Great to see Jake back. Fricken Cyrus is always a hoot. No matter how much Folivia has me rolling my eyes, the rest of the characters more than make up for it.

• INeverRememberMyScreenName says:

Again! VERNA TRIED TO KILL HIM. TWICE! She wasn’t his best friend. She was Big Jerry’s friend and poker buddy. And he didn’t choke her. He removed her oxygen mask and held her hands so she couldn’t put it back on.

• Kaz says:

People still forget Fitz should not even
        Be President. When will that come out?

• JakeForever says:

Well, I’ll give you that. He didn’t squeeze the breath out of her, he just cut off her oxygen and, sweetly, held her hand while she died. I can’t exactly remember it obviously, but she tried to kill him before he killed her… so that makes it okay??

• TrudiV says:

I agree you have never watched Scandal that shows on ABC at 9PM on Thursdays. You should not comment on shows you have obviously never watched.

21. Coal says:

It was nice to see all the Ex’s being friendly or friends to one another, Liv and Jake, Abby and David even Huck and Quinn at then.

22. knd24 says:

Totally calling this episode lame until that last second. Thank god I really couldn’t take that on again off again anymore. About time.

23. Bigdede says:

Olivia saying yes to being the president mistress could ruin her career yet folks are happy about this? Fitz already leaked before that Olivia was the president mistress so now Olivia wilk get flogged by the press for lying the first time. Her career and respect that she work hard…. no twice as hard for could be gone. Olivia could’ve found another way to out herself. A couple of seasons ago when they decided to be together, Fitz and Olivia came up with a plan on what and how to do everything until Mellie ruined it for them. Yet now Olivia is scared and running away? What happened to her and Fitz’s plan? I guess after being Fitz mistress for 9 years you just admit it. Now her daddy siting back laughing

• Darcel says:

Olivia is a fixer she’ll come up with a plan and fix it.

• TrudiV says:

I agree with you – well except for the daddy laughing part. This is one of the stupid things about Scandal. Shonda makes me shake my head at times.

Then again, perhaps Olivia has given it thought and has decided this is the best way out.

24. Courtney says:

Fitz is seriously one of the worst characters I’ve ever seen; however, I am so glad that their affair is finally out. I was worried it was just a tease, but when Olivia said “Yes” I was so pleased and can’t wait to see next week.

The Jake/Olivia scenes this week were fantastic. I wish they would end up together, but I don’t have any hope for that.

• Cheyenne says:

It really amazes me when people say “Fitz is the worst” because there are so many characters on this show who are way worse than he is:
      Cyrus, who had Amanda Tanner killed, tried to have James killed, and asked Jake to kill Sally Langston (Jake said no.)
      Jake, who killed James and the two news women in cold blood.
      Sally, who killed her husband.
      Andrew, who masterminded Olivia’s kidnapping and had her put up for auction on the dark web, knowing she would probably never come back alive.
      Hollis, who killed seven people when Quinn’s boyfriend started asking too many questions about election machine rigging.
      Governor Reston, who framed his wife for a murder he committed. (She’s still in jail serving his time.)
      Verna the Supreme Court justice, who put out a hit on the president and almost had him killed but killed an innocent bystander instead.
      Huck, who gets his kicks from killing and torturing people for fun.
      Rowan, a power-hungry maniac who headed an agency that specialized in murder. And all of the people who worked for him.
      Tom, the SS agent who actually killed Fitz’s son.
      Mama Pope, a completely amoral sociopath who will kill anyone as long as the price is right.
      Compared to any or all of the above, Fitz is a choirboy. JMO.

• Darcel says:

Cheyenne I love your comments. I hate it when people say that they love Jake so much. He hit Olivia, he kills people, he also murdered her god daughters father, he never goes to work anywhere but, that’s the man for Olivia.

• Cheyenne says:

I truly do not get the Fitz-hate. He’s a flawed individual but the way some people react to him, you’d think he was the devil incarnate. There were only three times I really disliked him: 1) when he went to war over Olivia — but what if he hadn’t tried to save her? He’d be excoriated for letting her die. 2) when he said he didn’t want Mellie sleeping with Andrew while he’s bonking

• Cheyenne says:

(Oops, got cut off) while he’s boinking Olivia. I was like, WTF? How hypocritical can you get? 3 ( when he killed Verna. She may have been an evil bitch, but part if me balks at a strong healthy man killing an old, dying, helpless woman just to save his legacy.

25. Great episode, but your recap is totally missing out on the whole I’m your protector, your provider, your everything Cap’t Jake Ballard coming to the rescue once again. Love that he is there for her. He knows his place with her and accepts that. I mean , come on.. even super spies needs love and attention! And the spooning was a added bonus. I could lay in a seedy motel with him anytime.

26. Stevie says:

how any woman could love this man, is beyond me.

27. fiberlicious says:

“Did the sight of Olivia and Jake spooning while hiding out in the seedy hotel, baring their souls to each other, raise anyone’s alarm bells?”

No, it raised my heart rate. JAKE IS SO HOT. FIZZLE IS SO NOT.

• Cheyenne says:

The one time I had real respect for Jake was when he took Olivia to the White House Press Association dinner in season 3. When he realized Olivia was just using him as her escort he told her to get a cab home, handed her the cab fare, said “I don’t play second fiddle to anyone, not even the president”, and walked out. I gave him major props for that.

Fast-forward to the end of the same season when he walks into Olivia’s apartment and finds her packing to leave

Jake: Take me with you.
      Olivia: I’m in love with another man.
      Jake: Take me with you anyway!

Talk about pathetic…

28. TrudiV says:

@D.W.

That would explain Mellie’s crazed look. Here comes the manly voice again. Sighhh I wish Shonda would just turn Mellie into a tranny.

29. Kathy Snyder says:

I love Olitz but I’m really tired of the same old same old. I wish the writers didn’t have Liv running off the way she always does. Yes she did admit that she is the President ‘s mistress but it’s after Mellie has come back to the White House. She needs to leave there I wonder if that will happen. I hope that Olitz can stand together & Olivia doesn’t get all crazy the way she does. I’m very curious to see how the season plays out with Cyrus & the rest of the cast.
    Jake needs to leave too he & Olivia Do not have any chemistry together.
    On to next week.

30. Zainab Ali says:

OLAKE!! OLAKE!!! OLAKE!!!! YES!!!!, did you see how happy Olivia was when she saw Jake it was like the “sun” came out

31. Joey says:

Mellie and Jake. This needs to happen. Mellie deserves to be loved.

• Cheyenne says:

I have to disagree. She is not a lovable person. She is spoiled, self-centered and power-hungry, and concerned only with getting what she wants by any means necessary. She and Jake would be a terrible combination. You know who I could see her with, though? Sleazy Leo. That would be a match made in heaven (or hell).

32. Merilee01 says:

Didn’t like this episode. It’s almost as if Scandal has run it’s course in story lines. Hope it picks up or I’m gone.

33. Nathalie says:

Good Directing Tony Goldwyn…