Nashville

Nashville Recap: Guilt, a Gut-Punch, a Hasty Getaway and Guyliner

You know you’re in a bad way on Nashville when Jeff freaking Fordham, last seen dodging his girlfriend as she wielded a nine iron, looks askance at your life choices.

Yet sadly, that’s the state in which Juliette finds herself in this week’s episode, as the blonde bombed-shell heads home to Nashville unsure whether her husband and baby will take her calls, much less take her back. And things look really good for the Barnes-Barkley family… until they really don’t.

Lest you think the hour is a downer, let’s talk some high points: Rayna signs a major name to her label (at the expense of an artist she already has), Scarlett decides that home and Caleb are more important than touring and potential fame (though Hot Doc later outs himself as not the most supportive of boyfriends) and Beverly fully wakes up and stays awake (just long enough to make us feel bad when she flatlines again at the end of the episode).

OK, so maybe this isn’t the most uplifting of episodes. Er, Layla sings a pretty song? Gunnar achieves maximum altitude with his rockabilly ‘do? That’s all I got, folks. Read on as we review “‘Til the Pain Outweighs the Shame.”

ROADKILL ON HIGHWAY 65 | Guilt is still leading Deacon to spend his nights at the hospital rather than worshipping at the Sacred Temple of Our Redheaded Priestess, where he belongs. Rayna says she misses him. “I miss you, too, baby,” he replies all low-like, pulling her close, and it’s totally normal to have your insides turned to melted butter by a fictional character, right?

Deacon leaves anyway, just in time for Rayna to get to a meeting where a potential Highway 65 artist drops his record deal like a leaky Hot Pocket right outta the microwave: As politely as possible, he makes it clear that he doesn’t want to be associated with a vanity label that can’t hold onto its artists.

It doesn’t help that the one artist Rayna has who’s actually working on music and not causing trouble by freaking out over a photo shoot (more on that later) is also the one she keeps skipping out on. Poor Layla gets stiffed by Ms. Jaymes not once but twice in the episode, the second time at a tastemakers concert at The Bluebird. (Side note: Layla kills it with her soft-n-sad girl rock. “Makes No Sense At All” is a really lovely tune — not that Jeff hears it, so tied up with Juliette’s nonsense is he this whole episode.) Chin up, Lay: At least you’ve got an enthusiastic fan/potential manager in Glenn, who shows up for your set, gives you a heartfelt compliment, leaves you with his card and probably won’t try to bone you. Bonus: Having him represent you will make Juliette so mad.

ONE STEP FORWARD, TWO DRINKS BACK | Then again, Ms. Barnes is drunk so often lately, I wonder if she’d even notice. Jeff counsels Juliette to make things right with Avery, because they’re heading back to Nashville for her album release party, and it’ll look weird if her family’s not there to celebrate the occasion. But when Avery brings Cadence to their house — following Jeff’s advice to touch base with his spiraling wife — it’s full of inebriated idiots and he’s pissed.

“Is this who you are now?” he demands as she hastily kicks everyone out. She tearfully apologizes that all of her success “doesn’t mean anything without you,” and Hayden Panettiere kills it as she hesitantly asks to hold her own daughter. You break my heart girl, you really do. Meanwhile, little Cadence’s face is all, “Who dis?”

Things go fine right through Ju’s party, at which Cadence screams through her mom’s live number — Avery, take that baby outside! — and Juliette is flummoxed by a diaper blowout. Stars, they’re just like us! She winds up leaving the party without telling her hubby (something about him assuming he was going on tour with her might’ve been to blame), ditching her cell at home and having Jeff get her a new number that no one (read: Avery) has. Not good, Jujubean. Not good at all. Also? That must’ve been one hellacious diaper.

IN WHICH RAYNA GETS HER MEN | After Maddie and Daphne perform a song by their favorite, recently broken-up band Boulevard at the school talent show, Rayna is hot to sign the band’s lead singer, Markus Keen. Bucky says the guy’s an alt-rocker who’ll want nothing to do with country; plus, he’s got so many people, getting a meeting with him is near impossible. Oh yeah? Next morning, Rayna sidles into the seat next to Keen’s on a flight and by the point the drinks cart has come around a couple times, she’s got a verbal agreement that he’ll join Highway 65.

She’s elated; Bucky, less so: Keen wants complete creative control and his asking price basically will clean out all the money left from Juliette’s departure. (Man-scarves and guyliner don’t come cheap, y’all.) But Rayna’s got no reservations. “Make that deal, Bucky,” she says, then arrives home pleasantly surprised to find Deacon in her bedroom. They purr at each other a little bit, he pushes her back onto the bed and you’d best light a candle, because I do believe services at the temple are about to start up again. Hallelujah!

ELSEWHERE IN MUSIC CITY | Luke hires a public relations consultant to advise him, and he heeds her counsel and drops Will from Wheelin’ Dealin’ Records. “It ain’t personal,” Luke says. Maybe not, but I’m fairly certain it’s not legal, either.

In other news, I’m not going to deal with Gunnar’s ridiculousness over some tour art that he thinks makes him and Scarlett look like a couple, but I will point out that Hot Doc doesn’t seem to have much confidence in Scarlett’s ability to make a career of singing and songwriting. But all of this is moot, however, because The Exes’ tour seems inconsequential when Beverly’s heart stops while Scar is in her room at the end of the episode. Good thing you made those apologies earlier, Bev, because it looks like you may not get another shot.

1. LK says:

Man signed contracts can not be this easy to break (on both sides) as they are portrayed in this series.

• Mick says:

Kesha, Jojo, Hanson, and several other artists would agree.

• Azrael Grimm says:

It depends on how they are worded and how they were signed. There is a lot of legalese and unless they publish the contracts it is hard to say. Usually yes it is very hard to break contracts but if there’s a will there’s a way. Plus we don’t know if their is another company helping. That would make the big change also, say the contract is worth 175,000 I can buy it out for that much or have another label buy it for that amount. So yes and no.

2. wrstlgirl says:

These people sure jump record labels a lot :-) :-) So Will is probably going back to Rayna. And what a terrific addition Riley Smith is. Dude is smokin’ hot.

3. Never blame people or things for where you are today. Depending
    upon the structure of your family, this could be a crucial factor.
    Many doctors and researchers are starting to realize that stress is a
    far bigger factor than previously imagined.

4. Bill says:

Dr. Dork no-likey Scarlett’s music career. She needs to dump Mr. Distract-Me-So-I-Don’t-Think-About-Gunnar immediately.

• RUCookie says:

That Doc has GOT TO GO. He doesn’t support her music career because he knows that she loves Gunner and he can’t handle it. He is jealous and he is an arse. Avery didn’t support her and she left him, so hopefully she will do is again cuz she does not have time for that crap!

5. Alicia says:

As always Kim u knock the nail on the head with ur reviews. Looovvveeeddd the Deyna scenes so nice to be able to see them happy in a relationship finally. Neither of them were truly content until they got back together. Nashville I love u for giving Deyna to us. Omg Juju wtf girl like Rayna said last week u break my heart. Loved this weeks ep not looking forward to the outcome of Bev flatlining however in Debra Fordham I trust next weeks ep will b amazing xx

6. Velocisexual says:

Good lord that death was obvious from the start of the episode. I literally was at a point where I just wanted the show to get it over with.

As for the Doc, they are doing the same thing they’ve done plenty of times before where they have a character do a complete 180 from good to bad (or vice versa) just to serve the plot.

• Amy says:

Yes! Doc did complete turnaround.
      Now it will be the depths of despair for Scarlett and Deacon for multiple episodes–again.

• Erin says:

Oh I know the anvils… I was just waiting for her to die from the convos between Deacon and Scarlett. Everything wrapped up in a nice bow, forgiveness achieved from both ends. Ugh. But as per the recap… They did kinda make me care about Bev this time round.

• graze says:

I don’t know, I got stalker, creepy vibes from that doc since the beginning. There was always something just a bit too controlling about him that didn’t set right.

7. Lucie says:

Did everyone who’s ever changed a diaper out there do a “Ewww” when Juliette walked out of the restroom without washing her hands?

• Allison says:

Lucie, OMG yes!!! I was totally freaking out and screaming!! I kept saying Oh no she did not!!!

• april-ann says:

Yes I sure did! But I chalked it up to her desire to make a quick exit (if Juliette is good at one thing, it’s making quick exits, lol) after basically being told by Avery that she wasn’t performing the diaper change correctly. I know this is probably wrong, but I felt kind of bad for her, because she did appear to be trying hard to change the diaper, then to be criticized for the job she was doing…especially by Avery.

8. Allison says:

I was so hurt by this episode. First Juliette just keeps me from finding my happy place. I really wish they would end this gut wrenching story line of hers already. Then (and I never thought I would be the one to say this) poor Layla just keeps getting pushed to the side. At least the one good thing to come out of it was Glenn offering to be her manager. I adore Glenn so I hope she takes him up on his offer just so that there will be more Glenn. As sad as Juliette’s downward spiral has made me, the one thing I do like is that it shows that Jeff is actually human. I didn’t know he had one shred of decency in him. The other part of this episode that hurt me was Beverly coming back and being all kind and forgiving and actually being a good sister and mother and then boom, she flatlines. I kept saying it all last week to my family that she woke up too kind and sweet and forgiving – especially considering how she went in all reluctantly and begrudgingly. I knew the end was near when she and Scarlett had that heart to heart. I was really hoping that she would live and she and Scarlett and Deacon would have another chance at being a loving family, but no. Anyway, I guess this is it for the wedding of Deacon and Rayna. Deacon will be so consumed with guilt that he won’t allow himself to be happy. Then again who knows…maybe…just maybe… All that sadness and then Luke dropped Will from the label – ugh – I can’t stand it!! Too much heartbreak!

• RichieS says:

” actually being a good sister and mother and then boom..” yeah, thats what she gets for breaking up Buddy Garrity’s family (oops, wrong show)

9. Sarah says:

I am soooooo over Juliette’s meltdown, but it doesn’t look like it’s ending anytime soon :( They have really messed up a character who was very complex and original and made her just not fun to watch.

• sharialynn says:

Ur right when i see her i just shake my head. Where as b4 i cld kinda route for her. Now I’m like she’s had too many chances to get over herself. She obviously likes to implode too bad she keeps bringing people down with her.

10. Love Me Some Deacon! says:

Kim nailed it in the recap: “it’s totally normal to have your insides turned to melted butter by a fictional character, right?” Totally! Deacon is H.O.T.!

I loved Baby Cadence’s headphones, the poor miserable baby.

11. Jill says:

This episode was meh except for Rayna and Deacon who completely burned up my screen. How can two people be so adorable and so sexy at the same time! Sad that now that Bev most likely kicked the bucket that we’re going to get mopey Deacon back.

12. RUCookie says:

What is happening to Luke is killin me. We all know that he should have signed with Rayna. And while doesn’t seem like a bad guy (he wanted to do the right thing), the consultant spelled it our for him. His market of “beer and trucks” country will not be a good place for him. Problem is that Rayna’s label is a mess. I blame Sadie more than any other – she had an album almost done and walked away. Because when Jules crashes the world will know that Rayna made a good choice. That whole phone fiasco is not a red flag, its not a sign… she gave up, pure and simple. And as much as I have loved she and Avery together, this is insane. Does she think her career will shine when it comes out that she abandoned her kid? And as for kids, what about that bathroom gossip… I don’t think I am ready for another teenager meltdown.

13. MiaB says:

Kimberly (can I call you Kim?), you crack me up. I was thinking the whole time, “Avery, why don’t you take that baby outside?”

14. Carol C says:

“blonde bombed-shell” ~ I love it!

15. april-ann says:

I love Scarlett but the girl requires the services of a stylist, stat. That horse’s mane has got to go.

• Jack says:

Totally agree.

• april-ann says:

Even with her desperate need for a makeover (it’s long overdue), the poor girl probably won’t be getting one anytime soon I think, what with the possibility of having to make that darn decision to pull the plug on Mommy then dealing with the aftermath. One can hope Mommy left a letter detailing she’s okay with whatever should happen stemming from her donation so this can all be over soon for my girl Scar (that hope however does not preclude my wish to see Gunnar and Dr. Controlly both gunning to be there “for her”). Once Dr. Controlly’s true colors are exposed to Scar, then that will be the time she reinvents herself with a makeover that will knock Gunnar’s socks off. And ours too (I hope).

16. Jack says:

Maybe someone could tell “Scarlet ” to cut that hair. It’s looking ratty.

17. sharialynn says:

Watching Layla sing is like watching ur favorite color paint dry. U like what u see but pete o jese – get on with it. She sounds good but she looks like she rather be doing something else.

18. Kay says:

Of course it’s legal to discriminate against gay people. You can fire someone for being gay in most of the country. Change needs to happen.